ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Starting My Own Radio Station

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

MikeyMike
Starter
And1: 2

OT: Starting My Own Radio Station 

Post#1 » by MikeyMike » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:22 pm

Driving to work this morning, I had a brilliant idea, I want to start my own radio station. Without going into too much detail about the genre of the station...

Does anyone have any idea of how much it would cost to get it started? A hundred thousand? A Million?

TIA,
MikeyMike

Fisher, remembered, “We weren’t sitting around waiting for something to happen to become one of the best teams in the league. We set out to become that.”
livintoolive
Head Coach
And1: 173

Re: OT: Starting My Own Radio Station 

Post#2 » by livintoolive » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:26 pm

brilliant!
R-DAWG wrote:i'd rather have the pick to package with Amare's contract next offseason, but hey, I'm just an MBA student at NYU what do I know about business.
Rich2Hassan
RealGM
And1: 5,800

Post#3 » by Rich2Hassan » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:27 pm

Dont know, but i will gladly invest in your show. i have 3.4 million dollars in the bank.
Heat President of TANK operations.
NYKProspect
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#4 » by NYKProspect » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:34 pm

are you serious?
mugzi
General Manager
And1: 1,009

Post#5 » by mugzi » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:37 pm

They say an internet station costs next to nothing, that may be a good way to start. But if you're in Cali like me, Im pretty sure they passed some law to allow people with little money to start a station pretty cheaply- I wish I knew more.

BTW- If you're in L.A. and need better kush than the dispensaries, holla @ me.
YouTube:CNDUBL
I never take offense
Or make amends
I was eight last time
I said Amen
Hard as steel won’t
Break or bend
Iron Mikes as real
As the day it ends.
MikeyMike
Starter
And1: 2

Post#6 » by MikeyMike » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:46 pm

I would want it to be an FM station that plays music.

Anyone know how much I'd have to pay an artist for every time I play their song?

Fisher, remembered, “We weren’t sitting around waiting for something to happen to become one of the best teams in the league. We set out to become that.”
CrazyEyes
RealGM
And1: 1

Post#7 » by CrazyEyes » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:46 am

You should know going into it that broadcast radio is in huge trouble. They were losing money before the economy went in the tank and now they're in even bigger trouble. Most stations lost 15-20% of their ad revenue last year alone. (most of it going to Internet advertising) It's a dying medium.
livintoolive
Head Coach
And1: 173

Post#8 » by livintoolive » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:49 am

MikeyMike wrote:I would want it to be an FM station that plays music.

Anyone know how much I'd have to pay an artist for every time I play their song?

Maybe you should start with the FCC website instead of realgm. You'll also want to check if there's even a frequency available in a big area like LA.
R-DAWG wrote:i'd rather have the pick to package with Amare's contract next offseason, but hey, I'm just an MBA student at NYU what do I know about business.
Esq-4
Veteran
And1: 318

Post#9 » by Esq-4 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:18 am

Royalty rates usually fluctuate, although I believe they may have been some what equalizing because of the effect of digital music, P2P and the like. Overall the entire music industry is very complicated in general, and dealing with talent can always be a headache, i don't know what it is that you currently do. The business is also in a crazy state these days, once again primarily b/c of the digital media age. Less and less people will listen to terrestrial radio, some went to Sirius/Xm (which even after the merger is in danger of going bankrupt) and some just hook up an ipod and rock out that way.

Do you know any fresh young talent or have an in to a big name? that could get you some kind of a niche. IMO listening to the radio in NY, there are A LOT of BAD stations. So you would think there should be a market.

Oh and AD SPACE AD SPACE AD SPACE, unless you can fund it dolo.
MDDN48
Senior
And1: 165

Post#10 » by MDDN48 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:00 am

My company owns and operates its own Internet Radio Station, but for me to teach you every aspect of starting it & running it, you'd have to fly to NY, and hang out with me and my partner for about a month.

It would take alot more than a quick response on a forum.
"DARE TO BE GREAT"

COMPANY MERCH: http://jam3productions.bigcartel.com/
doctor fite
Starter
And1: 0

Post#11 » by doctor fite » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:20 am

i dont think legit fm stations need to pay royalties to artists to play their songs... artists beg radio stations to play their music. i could be wrong. but i dont think thats the expensive part of starting a station.

i love that a drug dealer just hawked his wears on realgm... wow.

like its hard to find weed here in LA... if i still smoked i could have it delivered to my crib 365 days a year between 10am and 10pm.... thats right... my guy even delivers on holidays.

hahahahah
No.Bull.Son
Rookie
And1: 25

Post#12 » by No.Bull.Son » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:18 pm

MDDN48. I would be interested in taking you up on that offer.

Mugzi.... I wish I was IN LA at this very moment.
NO.BULL.SON

Return to New York Knicks