ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Joe Dumars Gets It

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

TheBluest
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: Lottery Bound...Banned From UK 2-11-09 @ 12:30 am by Martin LOL!

OT: Joe Dumars Gets It 

Post#1 » by TheBluest » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:36 pm

JD:No, because there's no quota on making significant deals. I would say that what's not lost on me is feeling like what we've done in previous years - how we did it, the personnel we did it with - had run its course. We could squeeze out 50 wins and try to get back deep in the playoffs - or you could start the transition process now. And that's what we've chosen to do, start the transition process now. And that transition process is, one, putting the ball in the hands of a young Rodney Stuckey and letting that development take place now and not prolonging it or delaying it.
NySpartan4
Bench Warmer
And1: 6

Re: OT: Joe Dumars Gets It 

Post#2 » by NySpartan4 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:39 pm

WORD. Stuckey is the truth! he has a bright future ahead of him. no he's not flashy and a clutch yet...but he's a hardworker and a quick learner. He is going to be someone special in the coming years.
Bill Bradley: BNO doesn't annoy me with his pessimism. It's more about the very core of his being that I find annoying.
NYKProspect
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#3 » by NYKProspect » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:39 pm

thats what we need to do with gallo and chandler, but instead we give more minutes to q, effries, and everybody else..
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#4 » by StutterStep » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:41 pm

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA -- I love Joe D, one of the classiest, clutch players in my era.... but he F'ed up in that trade.

He thought AI's scoring/swag would be the difference!

Yeah, he wanted to transition into Stuckey but he made a huge miscalculation. Stuckey could have waited until next year. They had one more run in them if he'd made the right trade!
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#5 » by Jose7 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:44 pm

6 straight ECF, that's all I must say. You don't break 6 straight ECF appearances up and on top of that trade your best player, most clutch player and Finals MVP.
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
4PointPlay
Analyst
And1: 10

Post#6 » by 4PointPlay » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:45 pm

Still, you have to wonder. If Dumars was in the same situation again, knowing what he knows now, would he really do the Billups/AI trade again? I doubt it.

Stuckey is definatly one for the future but Billups was winning them games now. Dumars has put the club in an interesting position. However without "classically" rebuilding trading players that are winning you games now for players that don't is risky. Shedding salary is alright, but if they don't land a big fish in 2010 they may look back on this decision and subsequent decisions as poor.
NySpartan4
Bench Warmer
And1: 6

Post#7 » by NySpartan4 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:48 pm

lol for once we get to laugh at someone else's expense! phew!
Bill Bradley: BNO doesn't annoy me with his pessimism. It's more about the very core of his being that I find annoying.
TheBluest
Banned User

Post#8 » by TheBluest » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:49 pm

Jose7© wrote:6 straight ECF, that's all I must say. You don't break 6 straight ECF appearances up and on top of that trade your best player, most clutch player and Finals MVP.

A run only last so long. He should have dismantled this summer but he got caught in the in between and the trade confirmed the inevitable. Having a front court of Sheed and Dice isn't going to take them anywhere. When he hired Flip and that recipe failed even after the regular season success you really had to start wondering what was in store next. His best chance to prolong was to draft Melo not constantlt making STARPHUCH trades hanging on to the has been.

He got a great expiring out of it and a chance to rebuild in a yr, so it's not like he threw everything away.
4PointPlay
Analyst

Post#9 » by 4PointPlay » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:53 pm

Jose7© wrote:6 straight ECF, that's all I must say. You don't break 6 straight ECF appearances up and on top of that trade your best player, most clutch player and Finals MVP.

Indeed. Similar situation to the Suns. Getting to the playoffs consistantly every year only to get knocked out in the conference semis/finals might feel bad when it's happening to your club, but it feels a hell-of-a-lot worse to consistently NOT get to the playoffs. In a best-of-seven series anything can happen, i think your reponsability as a GM is to make sure your team gets to that position, the rest is down to things you cant really control. Look at the Spurs. They've lost. But you didn't see them trading Duncan for picks/youth this summer out of a fear they may never win again, they'll likely keep their core (Duncan, Ginobli, Parker, Pop) - as they possibly can, then rebuild classically again once it's all over. There is never a reason to break up a team winning 50 games year in year out until they stop doing so. Playoffs are what they are - sometimes they go your way, sometimes they don't, you just have to be there every year to roll the dice.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,924

Post#10 » by god shammgod » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:53 pm

TheBluest wrote:

A run only last so long. He should have dismantled this summer but he got caught in the in between but the trade confirmed the inevitable. Having a front court of Sheed and Dice isn't going to take them anywhere. When he hired Flip and that recipe failed even after the regular season success you really had to start wondering what was in store next. His best chance to prolong was to draft Melo not constantlt making STARPHUCH trades hanging on the has been.

yeah. that's the one thing he really screwed up. he would of had a dynasty in detroit had he not **** up that draft.
BasicBall
RealGM
And1: 448

Post#11 » by BasicBall » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:55 pm

StutterStep wrote:HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA -- I love Joe D, one of the classiest, clutch players in my era.... but he F'ed up in that trade.

He thought AI's scoring/swag would be the difference!

Yeah, he wanted to transition into Stuckey but he made a huge miscalculation. Stuckey could have waited until next year. They had one more run in them if he'd made the right trade!

I couldn't agree more....That was a bad deal. Chemistry counts! He should have dealt Sheed in the off-season and kept Flip for one more season....Dumars has been reading his own press clippings of late...No doubt he is good at what he does, but he has been a bit shaky of late!
Don't raise your voice, improve your argument :nod:
4PointPlay
Analyst

Post#12 » by 4PointPlay » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:56 pm

TheBluest wrote:A run only last so long.

I agree, however Detroit had a good winning record when they traded Billups.
Paeds
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#13 » by Paeds » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:00 am

He gets it?they had a chance to win a CHIp this year but he messed that up IMO.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,034

Post#14 » by Capn'O » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:02 am

Bluest, are you saying that Dumars gets it as opposed to Walsh?
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
TheBluest
Banned User

Post#15 » by TheBluest » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:44 am

4PointPlay wrote:

What were they 4-0, 6-0 before the trade? Yeah that's a big enough sample to assume they were well on their way to a chip when they lost out on winning one after they had won 64gms 2yrs prior. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Paeds
Banned User

Post#16 » by Paeds » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:00 am

TheBluest wrote:
4PointPlay wrote:

What were they 4-0, 6-0 before the trade? Yeah that's a big enough sample to assume they were well on their way to a chip when they lost out on winning one after they had won 64gms 2yrs prior. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

OK, what about 6 straight ECF's? Is that a Big enough sample to add to the 6-0 start? :roll:
TheBluest
Banned User

Post#17 » by TheBluest » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:07 am

Paeds wrote:
TheBluest wrote:
4PointPlay wrote:

OK, what about 6 straight ECF's? Is that a Big enough sample to add to the 6-0 start? :roll:

Who's to say they still won't get there this yr even as currently constructed? All they need is a 3 vs 6 matchup and anything can happen. What Dumars is saying he's not investing anymore time trying to salvage this team which he's correct in doing. They really had no shot at a Chip this yr and any who believe this are only fooling themselves. He should have started in the summer though. Time to develop and start trying to accumulate assets by 2011-2012.
Paeds
Banned User

Post#18 » by Paeds » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:14 am

OK, what about 6 straight ECF's? Is that a Big enough sample to add to the 6-0 start? :roll:[/quote]

Who's to say they still won't get there this yr even as currently constructed? All they need is a 3 vs 6 matchup and anything can happen. What Dumars is saying he's not investing anymore time trying to salvage this team which he's correct in doing. They really had no shot at a Chip this yr and any who believe this are only fooling themselves. He should have started in the summer though. Time to develop and start trying to accumulate assets by 2011-2012.[/quote]

Because they look terrible, have u seen them? U see how much better Denver is?

He is correct for breaking up a team with 6 straight finals appearances and started off the season well?

Anything can happen in the playoffs and NOBODY want to play a Billups ran team
Radiohead311
Senior
And1: 0

Post#19 » by Radiohead311 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:30 am

4PointPlay wrote:Still, you have to wonder. If Dumars was in the same situation again, knowing what he knows now, would he really do the Billups/AI trade again? I doubt it.

Stuckey is definatly one for the future but Billups was winning them games now. Dumars has put the club in an interesting position. However without "classically" rebuilding trading players that are winning you games now for players that don't is risky. Shedding salary is alright, but if they don't land a big fish in 2010 they may look back on this decision and subsequent decisions as poor.

He made that trade to get rid of Billups contract it wasn't about getting AI.
xxrainnn
Lead Assistant
And1: 173

Post#20 » by xxrainnn » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:45 am

Dumars did the right thing. Seriously, you think the Pistons can even get out of the East against Bron and the Celtics? Iverson's contract is expiring, and gives them more flexibility. It's time to look towards the future in Detroit... they have some solid young pieces in Stuckey, Prince, and even Affalo. Their big men prospects suck ass (Maxiell is a bench player, other dude the shotblocker has no game) but that's nothing that the draft and free agency can't fix.

Return to New York Knicks