ImageImageImageImageImage

Shaq to NYK, what about this?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

MILES
Freshman
And1: 0

Shaq to NYK, what about this? 

Post#1 » by MILES » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:49 pm

NYK:
in: Shaq and Mohammed (his last year is a team option, so 09-10 expiring)
out: Harrington, Rose, Jeffries

KINGS:
in: Bell and Harrington
out: Miller, Salmons

BOBCATS:
in: Salmons, Jeffries
out: Bell, Mohammed

SUNS:
in: Miller, Rose
out: Shaq

Why for the Knicks: They get rid of Jeffries and in Shaq they add a player which can help them reach the playoffs! Mohammeds contract ends after the next season (team option for 10-11), so they get more cap space for Lebron

Why for the Kings: They really save much capspace ove the next season because Harringtons contract expires! In Bell they also add a veteran who will help them a lot defensively!

Why for the Bobcats: They get Salmons which will fit to their system and can score more then bell, is younger and has much talent! They have to add Jeffries but in my opinion he can help them defensively upfront!

Why for the Suns: They also save much capspace next season! And in Brad Miller they also get a C which can score, rebound and pass the ball, probably he fits better to Amara then Shaq.
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22

Re: Shaq to NYK, what about this? 

Post#2 » by knicks742 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:53 pm

Wow

A trade that makes sense. I am shocked. I like it and I see that this trade pretty much helps every team with their main concerns. Kudos to you sir.
rrosario35
Sixth Man
And1: 92

Post#3 » by rrosario35 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:54 pm

knicks742 wrote:Wow

A trade that makes sense. I am shocked. I like it and I see that this trade pretty much helps every team with their main concerns. Kudos to you sir.

He's a BallBoy too
Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#4 » by Grover » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:41 pm

Great trade if Mohammed's deal is team option for 2010. The Kings are saving money but might need cash and/or picks to make up for the difference an expiring and picks from the Thunder would provide. If Brown is dissappointed in Bell thus far it might just fly. Excellent trade proposal.
DE FENSE
RealGM
And1: 2,631

Post#5 » by DE FENSE » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:47 pm

That's a sexy 4 team blockbuster for us especially. We fill out our center rotation, all the while freeing up minutes for Gallo.

It would be weird to have Nazr and Tim back on the Knicks together, this time coming off the bench.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,727

Post#6 » by DowJones » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:02 pm

Really bad deal for the Kings. They dump Miller and Salmons for Harrington and Bell? Why would they want to do that?
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#7 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:31 pm

DowJones wrote:Really bad deal for the Kings. They dump Miller and Salmons for Harrington and Bell? Why would they want to do that?

Agreed. The Kings would need more salary relief to make this worthwhile for them. The reason we heard about Miller for Malik the other day is because Malik is expiring. Harrington expires the same time as Miller, and only makes slightly less. They would be saving about $5 million on Salmons's last year, but I'm not sure it's worth it for them.

Nice idea though, especially from a ballboy.
BelieveTheDream
RealGM
And1: 45

Post#8 » by BelieveTheDream » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:40 pm

i like the deal but like you guys said kings are trying to gain salary cap
pewing33ny
Rookie
And1: 184

Post#9 » by pewing33ny » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:54 pm

if we substituted malik for al harrington wouldn't that still work and hte kings would save even more money? maybe throw in some money too?
2016 predictions

GSW Clippers OKC Spurs Cleveland Hawks Miami Toronto
GSW Spurs Cleveland Miami
GSW Cleveland

Cavs 2016 champs
SilentPartner
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#10 » by SilentPartner » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:10 pm

I'd like to propose a different 3 team deal.

NY-PHX-SAC

NY sends Rose and Jefferies to SAC
NY sends Nate and QRich to PHX
SAC sends Miller to PHX
PHX Sends Shaq to NY

SAC does it to get an expiring deal (Rose) in exchange for Brad Miller, Also Jefferies gives them a versatile affordable long defender.

PHX sends Shaq back to the East as well as getting a Center that fits their up-tempo style better and pairs better with Amare. They also get Nate who can backup Nash and provide instant offense off of the bench as well as Q-Rich who had his best career years in PHX under that system. Nate is expiring and Q-Rich only has one more year left on his deal.

NY gets the Center that Curry never was and they create more mins for Lee and Gallinari in their forward rotation. Moving Q-Rich allows Chandler to play more at the 2-3 spot as well. NY also stays on task as far as freeing up money for 2010.
Afterall, stars aren't only born, sometimes they are made.
And the ones that are born with it that haven't shown it, only just need a stage. (MSG)
Synciere
Head Coach
And1: 4,483

Post#11 » by Synciere » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:44 pm

Don't like the original deal for the Kings. They're not trying to win so Bell wouldn't really fit behind Martin, nor Harrington when they already have Garcia on a cheaper deal. We know the Knicks do it. Suns may see value in having Shaq for marketing reasons. They save 8 million off the cap, and give it right back in terms of wins and possibly fan approval. They'd get worse, so playoff money dries up too. Bobcats upgrade, but they've just brought in Radman, so Salmons/Jeffries may not be the direction they go, especially if they still have Wallace.

It's easy to rip apart lots of trades, but this one actually does seem to fulfill some goals for the teams involved.

Return to New York Knicks