ImageImageImageImageImage

[Poll] Lee and Nate Offseason Scenarios

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Assuming Lee Asks for 10 million per and Nate for 7 million per what do you do?

Sign Both Players - They are the future
59%
Sign Lee - Try to sign and trade nate for value.
15%
Sign Nate - Try to sign and trade Lee for value.
13%
Don't Sign Either - Let's clear cap space for 2010.
13%

Total votes: 39

boomann21
RealGM
And1: 2,777

Re: [Poll] Lee and Nate Offseason Scenarios 

Post#41 » by boomann21 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:09 pm

Stocks rallied today because it was predicted the Recession would end at the end of this year. The economy might not be stinking for long.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090224/ap_on_bi_st_ma_re/wall_street
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,498

Post#42 » by cgf » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:11 pm

boomann21 wrote:Stocks rallied today because it was predicted the Recession would end at the end of this year. The economy might not be stinking for long.

The economy won't be a problem until the dollar collapses, or China decides to officially annex the USA.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
duhon-duhon
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#43 » by duhon-duhon » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:17 pm

mjhp911 wrote: Wrong. Their agents will advise them to try and get as much as they possibly can. It's a bigger cut for the agent at that point.

Inherent in that equation is money actually being in the market.

Anyone who thinks the professional sports leagues won't be profoundly affected by a potential depression doesn't understand what potential actually exists.

150 year old banks have folded. Where does this idea come from the professional sports exist in an economic bubble? You have ANY idea what 20% unemployment would do to our way of life?

Do you know what a run on a bank is?

And both guys feel supremely confident in themselves that they're worth whatever the market will bear.

Got NOTHING to do with their relative talents or self-confidence in said talents. Got to do with facing the reality sports leagues could be a HUGE trouble in the next few years.
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Post#44 » by mjhp911 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:20 pm

boomann21 wrote:Stocks rallied today because it was predicted the Recession would end at the end of this year. The economy might not be stinking for long.

Meh, Dave and Nate will just open a bank... and if they go belly up, they'll get bailed out...
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,221

Post#45 » by duetta » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:37 pm

I'd bet good money we're in the toilet for several years to come. There are no indications that this recession is even close to being over.
duhon-duhon
Bench Warmer

Post#46 » by duhon-duhon » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:45 pm

duetta wrote:I'd bet good money we're in the toilet for several years to come. There are no indications that this recession is even close to being over.

I'm not even betting it one way or another. Just saying smart people go for the security, especially when even the safe bet makes you very wealthy.

If Lehman Brothers can go belly-up, the NBA could too. It as THAT significant.

The rage this season will be ETO's. EVERYONE will ask them. That way they can get security AND hedge their bets.
4PointPlay
Analyst
And1: 10

Post#47 » by 4PointPlay » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:16 am

Barring an injury Lee would be easy to move if we get him for a reasonable price. So if JJ and Curry's contracts are still on the books and we have a bad record next Feb we can trade him then for an expiring, there'd be lots of contenders willing to take on a player like Lee, even if he's just started a 4-5 year deal.

Nate on the other hand is an odd player with limited market potential. So stick him on the block, wait for a S+T offer or an offer sheet to come in and then see whats what. I really don't see other teams offering him more than the MLE.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#48 » by Mecca » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:38 am

I picked the 3rd chiuce, but id be just as happy with the 1st...
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
jdennis187
Analyst
And1: 175

Post#49 » by jdennis187 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:43 am

Wow...

I have to say I am surprised that at the time of this post, over 58 percent of this board would like to sign Nate and Lee taking up 17 million or nearly 33% of our cap. Good thread though overall.

What I think is most interesting is the idea that Nate or Lee might take qualifying offers. I honestly don't think there is a chance in hell that they will, but given the fact that Ben Gordon did it, and given the fact that there might not be a big market for them this summer, it certainly is a possibility.
duhon-duhon
Bench Warmer

Post#50 » by duhon-duhon » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:51 am

jdennis187 wrote:I have to say I am surprised that at the time of this post, over 58 percent of this board would like to sign Nate and Lee taking up 17 million or nearly 33% of our cap.

$17m wasn't part of the choices.

There are some who believe that this is an over-estimation.
jdennis187
Analyst
And1: 175

Post#51 » by jdennis187 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:08 pm

duhon-duhon wrote:
jdennis187 wrote:I have to say I am surprised that at the time of this post, over 58 percent of this board would like to sign Nate and Lee taking up 17 million or nearly 33% of our cap.

Granted, But that is still the scenario I provided.

Although, if we can bag them at like 13m like some suggest, I would have to say I am all for that.
NYC2BGI
Starter

Post#52 » by NYC2BGI » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:04 pm

Please Donnie please, find a way to trade Eddy and Jeffries for expiring contracts and resign LEE and NATE! If we can only sign one max free agent but keep quality players around him, we should still be very good.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,498

Post#53 » by cgf » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:35 pm

NYC2BGI wrote:Please Donnie please, find a way to trade Eddy and Jeffries for expiring contracts and resign LEE and NATE! If we can only sign one max free agent but keep quality players around him, we should still be very good.

If we only want one max fa donnie won't have to trade curry or jeffries for expirings.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
lloydj
Rookie
And1: 95

Post#54 » by lloydj » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:59 pm

Nate: 8 million, 4 yrs x 8 = $32 million dollars

Lee: 8 million, 4 yrs x 8 = $32 million dollars

or

Nate: 9m, 8m, 7m, 6m = $30 million dollars

Lee: 9m, 8m, 7m, 6m = $30 million dollars

8-)
GuyverADL
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#55 » by GuyverADL » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:50 pm

I look to sign and trade Robinson and Jefferies to the Kings for Thomas and a 2nd rounder.
passthedutchman
Junior
And1: 0

Post#56 » by passthedutchman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:03 pm

jdennis187 wrote:
duhon-duhon wrote:

Granted, But that is still the scenario I provided.

Although, if we can bag them at like 13m like some suggest, I would have to say I am all for that.

I am not exactly sure but I think if we give them a sliding salary where it increases each year that we can keep their cap number at $13-15 million even if it's 10 and 7 per.

optimusADL wrote:I look to sign and trade Robinson and Jefferies to the Kings for Thomas and a 2nd rounder.

it's too bad, the original deal of miller for robinson and jeffries was better, although if we could get a second rounder that'd be a bonus. it's still not great value though. right now I'm glad we kept nate but it is going to get tricky this summer. I'm still hopeful the wizards want JJ2.

Return to New York Knicks