ImageImageImageImageImage

ESPN Showing Nate Love

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Re: ESPN Showing Nate Love 

Post#21 » by HEZI » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:45 pm

JayKnicKz11 wrote:If Chris Paul can make it Nate can make it! IM not saying he's better but he has the athletic ability and prob even more heart than Paul..Maybe. His height doesn't matter.

Oh no, I love Nate but nobody can question Chris Pauls heart. The guy is an assassin, if your not on his team, hes going at you without any hesitation or regard for your feelings. I love Chris Paul because you can just see the fire he plays with and when it comes to heart, hes right up there with Kobe.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,130

Post#22 » by TrueWarrior » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:47 pm

JayKnicKz11 wrote:If Chris Paul can make it Nate can make it! IM not saying he's better but he has the athletic ability and prob even more heart than Paul..Maybe. His height doesn't matter.

Cmon man. Nate is a SG and a 6th man. Paul is the best PG in the NBA. Dont ever compare them... His height matters a lot and is the reason hes not our starting SG. Unless you think Q or Jeffries are better?
CDAZ
Head Coach
And1: 2,252

Post#23 » by CDAZ » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:47 pm

Duhon2Lee42 wrote:
TrueWarrior wrote:The only reason people want Nate gone is because of his height. But honestly thats a fair criticism because hes a 5'7 SG. Theres no denying however that Nate can be an elite level scorer in this league. He can shoot, take you off the dribble, get to the line. He can do it all when it comes to scoring. Hes also been putting up rebound and assist numbers off the wazoo. I gotta give him props if he keeps this up.

People saying he would only get 20 mpg on a good team are crazy. Nate is good, real good. Easily one of the best 6th men in the league and he deserves 27-30 mpg easily on any team who doesnt have a Terry or Manu.

Thing is, how does his height limit him? We've yet to see that.

On the defensive end of the court. Sometimes he is over powered by the opposing teams PG or SG. On offense Nate is fearless and can't be stopped
Heart
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#24 » by Heart » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:50 pm

Point is if Nate was taller, even just 6'0-6'2, he would be our SG for the next decade. But he hurts us on D because he cant guard SGs and hes not a PG. Thats where the problem lies with him.[/quote]

Nate leads the team in steals lol. I really don't think he lets his height stop him from being a force on defense. And what does it matter if Duhon has to guard the other team's SG? We get so caught up in matching up players by position. It doesn't have to be like that. Jeffries is the one who plays D on the opposing PGs anyways!!!
Young Splashy Splash!
CDAZ
Head Coach
And1: 2,252

Post#25 » by CDAZ » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:56 pm

Heart wrote:Point is if Nate was taller, even just 6'0-6'2, he would be our SG for the next decade. But he hurts us on D because he cant guard SGs and hes not a PG. Thats where the problem lies with him.

Nate leads the team in steals lol. I really don't think he lets his height stop him from being a force on defense. And what does it matter if Duhon has to guard the other team's SG? We get so caught up in matching up players by position. It doesn't have to be like that. Jeffries is the one who plays D on the opposing PGs anyways!!![/quote]

I understand what you're saying. Nate is very aggressive on the ball but still gives up points due to his size
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,130

Post#26 » by TrueWarrior » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:56 pm

Heart wrote:Nate leads the team in steals lol. I really don't think he lets his height stop him from being a force on defense. And what does it matter if Duhon has to guard the other team's SG? We get so caught up in matching up players by position. It doesn't have to be like that. Jeffries is the one who plays D on the opposing PGs anyways!!!

Iverson gets alot of steals too. You think hes a good defender? The whole his whole career has been whether hes a PG or SG. Hes better as a SG but he cant guard other SGs so he forces the PG to guard SGs. Which is why it worked with Eric Snow because Snow was tall. How can you say height doesnt matter on defense? Again then why doesnt Nate start at SG? Hes easily our best scorer right now but the reason he doesnt start is because of his height and the fact that hes a tweener. If he was taller hed be starting and be one of the best up and coming SGs in the league.
duhon-duhon
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#27 » by duhon-duhon » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:05 pm

TrueWarrior wrote: Again then why doesnt Nate start at SG?

He plays more minutes than the starter. And this month he's averaging starting minutes.

And can anyone demonstrate how the Knicks have been taken advantage of shooting guards at a greater rate than your average NBA team?

I have a feeling this defense theory is just that. Anyone got any emphirical data to back-up the assertion, other than Robinson's medical chart and an assumption?
Heart
Sophomore

Post#28 » by Heart » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:06 pm

TrueWarrior wrote:
Heart wrote:Nate leads the team in steals lol. I really don't think he lets his height stop him from being a force on defense. And what does it matter if Duhon has to guard the other team's SG? We get so caught up in matching up players by position. It doesn't have to be like that. Jeffries is the one who plays D on the opposing PGs anyways!!!

Iverson gets alot of steals too. You think hes a good defender? The whole his whole career has been whether hes a PG or SG. Hes better as a SG but he cant guard other SGs so he forces the PG to guard SGs. Which is why it worked with Eric Snow because Snow was tall. How can you say height doesnt matter on defense? Again then why doesnt Nate start at SG? Hes easily our best scorer right now but the reason he doesnt start is because of his height and the fact that hes a tweener. If he was taller hed be starting and be one of the best up and coming SGs in the league.

I wouldn't say Iverson is a bad defender. The point is that Basketball is a team game! Nate can contribute when he is on the court. I really do not see many PGs or SGs taking Nate down to the block and posting him up. I really have not seen that. Would it help if he was taller? Of course. But the question you have to ask is does he hurt or help the team when he is on the court ? I don't think you would give up a HOF talent like Iverson because most SGs are taller. You go out an get players that can play help defense and take it from there.
Young Splashy Splash!
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,706

Post#29 » by F N 11 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:09 pm

TrueWarrior wrote:

Cmon man. Nate is a SG and a 6th man. Paul is the best PG in the NBA. Dont ever compare them... His height matters a lot and is the reason hes not our starting SG. Unless you think Q or Jeffries are better?

I never said Nate is better than Paul. Both of them are heart and they are not only making it because of skill. their heart drives them amongst the Beast. I was saying if Paul can make it so can Nate. A guy can be 5'9 and be scared to drive and get blocked..these guys are fearless. honorable mention : Allen Iverson. He was probably their role model.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
boomann21
RealGM
And1: 2,777

Post#30 » by boomann21 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:13 pm

JayKnicKz11 wrote:
TrueWarrior wrote:

I never said Nate is better than Paul. Both of them are heart and they are not only making it because of skill. their heart drives them amongst the Beast. I was saying if Paul can make it so can Nate. A guy can be 5'9 and be scared to drive and get blocked..these guys are fearless. honorable mention : Allen Iverson. He was probably their role model.

Who is the Beast? Is it Lebron? Is it Kobe? It has to be Dwight Howard.
duhon-duhon
Bench Warmer

Post#31 » by duhon-duhon » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:15 pm

Just a quick look...

Knicks are 28th in FG% allowed but just 8th in 3pt FG% allowed.

This suggests either the Knicks 1-3 are going a better than average job guarding the perimeter and getting hands in people's faces (and it does stand to reason a higher % of 3 attempts come from the opposing 2), OR defenders are getting by the Knicks backcourt SO easily that teams don't focus on the 3 against the Knicks.

Although the lattter explanation doesn't really seems like a HEIGHT issue.

But that's just theory.

Anyone with data to shed some light on this?
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,733

Post#32 » by cgf » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:18 pm

I thin nate would play a better mo williams next to bron than mo williams does. That said he has to guard points on d which means you need someone who can be your primary ball handler who can at least guard 2s. Here's to appreciating that the worst case senario is gallo becoming that guy.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,481

Post#33 » by j4remi » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:49 am

I think Nate is awesome, a great talent...but his height DOES indeed limit us defensively. That's not to say this can't be resolved, but we could need a bigger PG who can guard opposing 2 guards effectively (Which is why Zeke took Collins but that failed). Nate could be a 6th man of the year candidate yearly, but until we get someone who can guard the two (ironic that Marbury can guard 2's but I would never let him near Nate) and run point...he's still limited.

No offense though, he's incredible. Does a little of everything and I suspect he'll only improve because his game still has moments of losing his ****' mind and hurting us. He can be special though...incredible for his height.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#34 » by Mecca » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:57 am

<======= My avatar....
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
duhon-duhon
Bench Warmer

Post#35 » by duhon-duhon » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:24 am

j4remi wrote: IThat's not to say this can't be resolved, but we could need a bigger PG who can guard opposing 2 guards effectively (Which is why Zeke took Collins but that failed). Nate could be a 6th man of the year candidate yearly, but until we get someone who can guard the two (ironic that Marbury can guard 2's but I would never let him near Nate) and run point...he's still limited.

Asking genuinely... in your experience watching the Knicks, how does Robinson's defensive defincencies play itself out in game conditions?
DocZaius
Banned User
And1: 56

Post#36 » by DocZaius » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:32 am

If Nate is a star....

I guess Ben Gordon is a superstar then.
Ris_4.4
Junior

Post#37 » by Ris_4.4 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:55 am

I want you guys to watch the next knick game and just concentrate on Nate. He doesn't get bullied all over the court due to his size. He's stronger than most pg's not including the tall points like Kidd or Billups. He holds his own against some SG's. His biggest flaw is he leaves his man too much to gamble on a steal.

He improves every year and can eventually be a starting scoring PG in this league. Every time he's been put at the starting PG job he has done a great job.

Stop nitpicking and enjoy a good player who has a good chance of becoming a star.
"I tell the truth, even when I lie" - Scarface
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#38 » by Flaming Mo » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:58 am

Nate is perfect for ESPN and the NBA. Everyone likes the little guy, he's quite a character and is as exciting as they come. The whole star talk though goes a little far in my eyes though. He's a great talent but a star does win you more games than he loses you and we all shouldn't forget how Nate's play and his game, which is being a scorer (a great one I might add) off the bench, has bombed us out of games and decided the Knicks' fate down the stretch. He is very similar to Crawford in that sense. Great individual talent, absolutey killer when used right but not a winning player when you count on him night in and night out...
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies...

Return to New York Knicks