ImageImageImageImageImage

Three Roster Spots Open

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Re: Three Roster Spots Open 

Post#41 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:41 pm

Samb, Ewing Jr, Douby
R33D33
General Manager
And1: 15
Location: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

Post#42 » by R33D33 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:51 pm

Randolph Morris, Justin Williams and Will Conroy.
R33D33 wrote:Can we agree on this, get rid of all benefits corporations get from governments?
Bulltalk wrote:Not really.
‎"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." – H.L. Mencken
-steez-
Bench Warmer
And1: 2

Post#43 » by -steez- » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:53 pm

Jamison Brewer, Jackie Butler, and Qyntel Woods.

Make it happen Donnie!

"Only in the NBA can you make a shot on Monday and have it count on Tuesday."
- Walt "Clyde" Frazier
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#44 » by EchelonNYK » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:56 pm

Does it really matter at this point? there's about 26 games remaining in the regular season.
movingon
Sixth Man
And1: 327

Post#45 » by movingon » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:16 pm

These are pickups that could help down the road. After basically everyone expires in 2010, we'll have some bench players that are ready to step up. A player like White or Samb could be very useful.
passthedutchman
Junior
And1: 0

Post#46 » by passthedutchman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:35 pm

R33D33 wrote:Randolph Morris, Justin Williams and Will Conroy.

I know you are joking but all of those guys could probably contribute, but especially Justin Williams. I remember he played well with Sacramento. Where is he?
richardhutnik
Banned User
And1: 10

Post#47 » by richardhutnik » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:06 pm

passthedutchman wrote:

I know you are joking but all of those guys could probably contribute, but especially Justin Williams. I remember he played well with Sacramento. Where is he?

I think Justin Williams is in the same mythical place that Sofo is. It is a land of overhyped players that people on here want, because they have a ONE thing that the team is lacking. This one thing results in an overvaluing of them. With Sofo, he was a second chance to draft Amare. With Justin, it is supposed shotblocking that suddenly adding him, would seem to suddenly result in the Knicks magically becoming a TOP 5 defensive squad, because ONE journeyman player would make ALL the difference.

- Rich
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - G. Marx
passthedutchman
Junior

Post#48 » by passthedutchman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:21 pm

richardhutnik wrote:
passthedutchman wrote:

I think Justin Williams is in the same mythical place that Sofo is. It is a land of overhyped players that people on here want, because they have a ONE thing that the team is lacking. This one thing results in an overvaluing of them. With Sofo, he was a second chance to draft Amare. With Justin, it is supposed shotblocking that suddenly adding him, would seem to suddenly result in the Knicks magically becoming a TOP 5 defensive squad, because ONE journeyman player would make ALL the difference.

- Rich

well he's not technically a 'journeyman' since he's only in his second year and he also was a good rebounder along with a shotblocker, so that's two things. journeymen are guys who you basically know what you're getting with them while rookies and second/third year guys are ones with upside and potential. I think the distinction is important because one you bring in to plug a hole and help right away and the other you keep on the end of the bench and develop for the future. I don't think anyone thought he would help right away and turn us into a defensive team but we need younger players to develop for the future on a rebuilding team. that's what rebuilding teams are supposed to do.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#49 » by chrbal » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:04 pm

passthedutchman wrote:
well he's not technically a 'journeyman' since he's only in his second year and he also was a good rebounder along with a shotblocker, so that's two things. journeymen are guys who you basically know what you're getting with them while rookies and second/third year guys are ones with upside and potential. I think the distinction is important because one you bring in to plug a hole and help right away and the other you keep on the end of the bench and develop for the future. I don't think anyone thought he would help right away and turn us into a defensive team but we need younger players to develop for the future on a rebuilding team. that's what rebuilding teams are supposed to do.

You might want to check again on that. 2 years and 2 teams. If he signed it would be his 3rd year.

Then there is this
Williams was brought to Golden State Warriors training camp on September 27, 2008, but he was cut after appearing in two pre-season games.

On October 16, 2008, Williams was signed by the Charlotte Bobcats. But six days later, he was waived again after failing to impress in three pre-season games.

Thats 3 frontcourt desperate teams that have waived him.

So he might not be a journeyman, but he isn't worth bringing in.
passthedutchman
Junior

Post#50 » by passthedutchman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:43 pm

chrbal wrote:
passthedutchman wrote:

You might want to check again on that. 2 years and 2 teams. If he signed it would be his 3rd year.

Then there is this
Williams was brought to Golden State Warriors training camp on September 27, 2008, but he was cut after appearing in two pre-season games.

On October 16, 2008, Williams was signed by the Charlotte Bobcats. But six days later, he was waived again after failing to impress in three pre-season games.

Thats 3 frontcourt desperate teams that have waived him.

So he might not be a journeyman, but he isn't worth bringing in.

I think what I meant was it was his second year at the time we were talking about bringing him in- or we might have started right after he went undrafted. In any case does one year really matter? my point still stood and you were just being nitpicky. notice where I mentioned third year guys:

passthedutchman wrote:journeymen are guys who you basically know what you're getting with them while rookies and second/third year guys are ones with upside and potential.

I'm not really endorsing bringing him in anymore- I was mostly just curious about him. Most of that post was just addressing why people would want to bring in a young player who might not help turn around the team right away.

Return to New York Knicks