ImageImageImageImageImage

The official I want to draft BJ Mullens thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

BRIGGS
Analyst
And1: 128

The official I want to draft BJ Mullens thread 

Post#1 » by BRIGGS » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:35 am

I know between now and the draft I can say I want to draft BJ Mullens 500 times and if he was available he would pass our pick like a Ferrari passing a Yugo. In fact I would be willing to move up by offering the 2012 lottery protected + 3mm of JD's money to make sure I acquire him. Doesn't matter-they still won't do it--they don't get it and they cant project it.

I will settle for a Teague or a Warren because thats what the Knicks will settle[well I hope] but still I want that C. He is going to lead the NBA in FG% one day and he will average more than 20 points doing so. Not a great shotblocker but big enough to smother the lane. I do not believe one Knick scout will see it that way. That is why we havent made 1 good high pick in 25 years. We have made some ncie lower picks but have absolutely killed the franchise with the higher one's.

They can make up for their sins of missing out on the likes of Amare Stoudemire Andrew Bynum Brook Lopez in the last few yearz by getting this kid. He wont go top 3--he may drift 5-10--even if we want him we may not necessarily be able to get him anyway BUT if there is any chance to do it---I want them to do it.
Vanilla Ice is the best rap artist of all time
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 306

Re: The official I want to draft BJ Mullens thread 

Post#2 » by nykgeneralmanager » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:41 am

So its that time of the year where you start pumping up every single draft prospect? :lol:
TheBluest
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: Lottery Bound...Banned From UK 2-11-09 @ 12:30 am by Martin LOL!

Post#3 » by TheBluest » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:44 am

Someone please sticky this ish!
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,876

Post#4 » by cgf » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:02 am

Cole Aldrich > BJ Mullens

Mullens is clearly the freakier athlete but Aldrich is the far better basketball player and big man. To play in this offense you've got to be able to not only run and jump, but play smart and have a versatile game, Aldrich has that, from his ugly but effective jumper, to his passing and his great footwork in the post, aldrich brings a varied game that D'Antoni could actually get behind. Mullens is a transition scoring big, he's got incredible potential on the offensive end but he's a mess defensively, doesn't have near the offensive game, being limited to pretty much being a garbage scorer, i.e. tip-ins, end of drive dishes, etc, right now.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
drj
Analyst
And1: 71

Post#5 » by drj » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:18 am

Briggs I thought you were a Thabeet guy?
Anyway I'm not a huge fan of Mullens but I think Jeff Teague could be something special playing the 2 in our system. Think Monta with a jumper.
So if that's "what the Knicks will settle for" I'd be very happy.
cgf
RealGM

Post#6 » by cgf » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:24 am

Cole Aldrich
Evan Turner
Terrance Williams

or a trade down for nick calathes or dionte christmas

I would love to see the knicks going with one of these guys, although TWill's jumper is going to be a question, although I think he'll work on that over the summer and develop confidence in his jumper by December of his rookie year.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
BRIGGS
Analyst

Post#7 » by BRIGGS » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:10 am

TheBluest wrote:Someone please sticky this ish!

Stick it to the wall. The number 1 player I want sans a miracle in the top 3 in the lottery is BJ Mullens. I will not berate the Knicks for taking Jeff Teague or Willie Warren if acquiring Mullens deems to be impossible. But I think that with a small combination of assets in combination with a falter at the finish--this is my one and only player that I want from this draft in the 5-12 zone. Mark it down -
cgf
RealGM

Post#8 » by cgf » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:31 am

BRIGGS wrote:
TheBluest wrote:Someone please sticky this ish!

Stick it to the wall. The number 1 player I want sans a miracle in the top 3 in the lottery is BJ Mullens. I will not berate the Knicks for taking Jeff Teague or Willie Warren if acquiring Mullens deems to be impossible. But I think that with a small combination of assets in combination with a falter at the finish--this is my one and only player that I want from this draft in the 5-12 zone. Mark it down -

Why? Outside of his athletic ability and size.

vinnie_vegas69
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 71

Post#9 » by vinnie_vegas69 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:03 am

Mullens could be had lower than he could potentially be worth, because Thad Motta is really not using him the best way he can. If he went to another school with more of a player's coach, he could be showing a lot more right now.

There's a lot of big men in the draft this year that I would draft to play center here: Mullens, Jordan Hill, Hasheem Thabeet, Greg Monroe, Craig Brackins, Jerome Jordan...

Depending on where we draft and who's available, we should be able to add a young big man to our roster.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,039

Post#10 » by GONYK » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:47 am

BRIGGS, you know that basketball is played with guards too, right?

Anyway, Mullens would be a solid potential pick in the 7-12 range of this draft.
skflives
Banned User
And1: 281

Post#11 » by skflives » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:57 am

^^^ That's not entirely fair. Other than David Lee the Knicks have pretty much ignored the front court for years when it came to drafting players. While I would have preferred Augustin at the time Brook Lopez looks like the truth at center and we passed him up. With that being said the good thing about this draft is that it is stacked with point guards. We can make up for last years mistake and draft ourselves a good point guard prospect that can sit back and learn the game from a consumate pro like Duhon.
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#12 » by Flaming Mo » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:01 pm

I don't like Mullens at all as a top prospect, sorry. First of all, he doesn't have a high basketball IQ, something I hate when we talk about premium prospects. He has played against weak comeptition and basically gets by with size and being the biggest guy on the floor. I see him very similar to Spencer Hawes, more athletic for sure but just not cut out for being a star under the NBA baskets.
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies...
skflives
Banned User
And1: 281

Post#13 » by skflives » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:15 pm

What's so bad about having a more athletic Spencer Hawes? He's averaging 10.3 points, 6.7 rebounds and 1.4 blocks a game at the ripe age of 20.
passthedutchman
Junior
And1: 0

Post#14 » by passthedutchman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:57 pm

nbadraft has mullens going to the knicks at 11 (they don't take needs into account at this point though) and draftexpress has him at 14. i think late-lotto or mid first round is good value for him and he'd be a good pickup there since he has early lottery potential. another good value pickup would be derozan, who is projected at 18 & 20 on those sites.
BRIGGS
Analyst

Post#15 » by BRIGGS » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:32 pm

GONYK wrote:BRIGGS, you know that basketball is played with guards too, right?

Anyway, Mullens would be a solid potential pick in the 7-12 range of this draft.

Like I said I really like Willie Warren and Jeff Teague up high--that being said I think the draft has guards all the way down round 1 into the 2nd but there is NO way to find a Mullens type player down there. Mullens would be pick 1 or 2 next year--if you are catching him 6-10 you are buying at a discount. There will be teams selling their picks this year because of the monetary situation. You could possibly find 5-7 guards who can be really good nBA guards down there as in [20-40]--it's that stacked. We really need a C long term. I think Mullens really has the kind of potential to be a 20 point 8-10 rebound 1.5 block C who can score at or better than 60% in his prime. He is no defensive monster and never will be but he's big enough to learn how to be a very effective defender for a team concept. He's the kind of guy you will see with many boxscores that read 8/11 4-6 9 rebounds 1 block 20 points--he has that kind of ability.

The Knicks always try to go outside the box with their high picks.
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#16 » by Flaming Mo » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:43 pm

skflives wrote:What's so bad about having a more athletic Spencer Hawes? He's averaging 10.3 points, 6.7 rebounds and 1.4 blocks a game at the ripe age of 20.

On one of the most terrible teams in the entire NBA that is. And would you spend a top 3 on the guy like it seems some of the guys here would?! I wouldn't be so quick...
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies...
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#17 » by Pharmcat » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:51 pm

briggs was right bout bynum, he has cred...although i dont know where id take mullens
Jcrawford11
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#18 » by Jcrawford11 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:59 pm

brandon jennings
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,429

Post#19 » by duetta » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:03 pm

I agree that we need to take the best big man prospect available in the draft. There is no credible center prospect in the 2010 class with the exception of Tyson Chandler, who recently failed his physical. This is the one slot that we will have to fill by either trade or draft pick - and it's also our most urgent need.

Return to New York Knicks