ImageImageImageImageImage

David Lee to accept the Knicks one-year qualifying for $2.7?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

vinnie_vegas69
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 71

Re: David Lee to accept the Knicks one-year qualifying for $2.7? 

Post#41 » by vinnie_vegas69 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:13 am

Kosmo - You make me tingly in the pants ;)
krustytheclown
Lead Assistant
And1: 8

Post#42 » by krustytheclown » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:16 am

ITGM wrote:Image

hahahahahahahahaha
sonny
RealGM
And1: 269

Post#43 » by sonny » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:32 am

And a cap guru can correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC, with the Ben Gordon situation, not only could we only trade him with his permission, but the other team wouldn't get his bird rights.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#44 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:01 am

This is a win-win scenario. Lee and his mouthpiece agent know that in 2010, more teams will have money to burn. He'll definitely bust his ass. He's sure to get big coin as a free agent. The Knicks know that Lee's stock will never be higher if he signs the qualifying and can package him along with say, Jefferies and/or Eddy Curry to Houston in order to get T-Mac's 22 million expiring contract.

THAT is the the KEY to the Knicks dreams of landing Two big time free agents.
nyknicks09
RealGM
And1: 3,219

Post#45 » by nyknicks09 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am

Lets just put it this way. Is not D.Lee's fault that E.Curry gets paid almost 10 millions and Jeffreis 7 millions to do nothing when he pulls a double-double in most nights. Either pay him or let him go get his money somewhere else. The problem right now is that D.Lee wants to get pay top dollars and Knicks want to do a S&T with that contract but other teams are not willing to trade valuable players so best thing for D.Lee is to just take the QO and get his money in the summer of 2010 ala Ben Gordon. I mean Gordon makes 11 million per season just to shoot the ball. D.Lee can make 11 millions easily if he waits till the summer of 2010 and add an extra year to his contract.
New York Knicks
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,435

Post#46 » by duetta » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:35 am

Walsh revealed that he has reached out to the representative for restricted free agent David Lee and hinted that contract talks are progressing. Walsh would not be specific, which leaves open the chance that the Knicks may be working on a sign-and-trade with Lee. However, Walsh has said for months that the Knicks want to re-sign Lee.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... _hill.html
SuperflyKnick
Head Coach
And1: 1,075

Post#47 » by SuperflyKnick » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:13 pm

If a sign and trade wit lee is in works...it will mostly be wit a team out of the blue who we didtn even imagine dealing lee just for kicks like Chicago for TY Thomas or sumthing
AR3
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#48 » by AR3 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:58 pm

Has anyone considered that if push comes to shove and Lee has no choice but to take a QO, that he might go to another team because of playing time and/or spite?
Smoove
Rookie
And1: 2

Post#49 » by Smoove » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:23 pm

ITGM wrote:Image

Exactly! :lol:

I'm really happy with this deal and I hope he signs it.
BlackMama, my main mate!
clydewally
Junior
And1: 8

Post#50 » by clydewally » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:56 pm

Lee would leave a ridiculous amount of money on the table if he took the QO. Assume the Knicks would pay $8 million, he leaves $5 million on the table for this year. If he gets $10 million next year (no sure thing with a shrinking salary cap) it would take him two and a half years to recoup that $5 million (and that is without factoring in the time value of having that $5 million to invest now as opposed to waiting to get it). No way he should be dumb enough to take the QO as opposed to a reasonable offer.
Clyde2
Senior

Post#51 » by Clyde2 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:40 pm

DLee may end up following the same route as Ben Gordon. He was fortunate to get a nice contract as a UFA.
Knick Fan since last championship. We know that was a LONG time ago.
sonny
RealGM
And1: 269

Post#52 » by sonny » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:51 pm

Lee will get lucky if he takes the QO.

There will be a lot of teams that will have cap space and don't wind up with any top players, guys on the tier as Lee will get paid.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,558

Post#53 » by cgmw » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:50 am

roy10 wrote:If Lee accept the QO, the Knicks should deal him with Jeffries for cap relief. I know a player on the QO has to give his consent to being dealt, but I'm sure Lee will give it if he realizes his minutes will be deeply cut for Hill and Darko.

I don't know abotu the Darko part, but I think you get the basic idea. Either Lee performs well and we sign him in 2010 as a cornerstone player, or we essentially look for another team that wants to sign him to an extension (and with whom he'd want to sign) and ship him off with Eddy Curry or Jared Jeffries.

Not only could we potentially shed the terrible Curry contract, but we could pick up some other value in the form of a draft pick or young player. I hate to get my hopes up, but this has the potential to be a huge boon for the Knicks.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,694

Post#54 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:32 am

AR3 wrote:Has anyone considered that if push comes to shove and Lee has no choice but to take a QO, that he might go to another team because of playing time and/or spite?

It did to me. And that's why I think the Knicks and Lee should agree to "a fair deal."
Free Palestine
Smoke24
RealGM
And1: 11

Post#55 » by Smoke24 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:38 am

HawthorneWingo wrote:
AR3 wrote:Has anyone considered that if push comes to shove and Lee has no choice but to take a QO, that he might go to another team because of playing time and/or spite?

It did to me. And that's why I think the Knicks and Lee should agree to "a fair deal."

Its too bad neither side knows what "fair" means.
Clyde2
Senior

Post#56 » by Clyde2 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:50 am

Smoke24 wrote:
HawthorneWingo wrote:

I think the Knicks original offer of 8 mil per for 4 years is fair. This is in the ballpark to what Millsap received.
Knick Fan since last championship. We know that was a LONG time ago.
AR3
Sophomore

Post#57 » by AR3 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:07 am

If that's what it is, then it's fair.
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#58 » by StutterStep » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:43 am

Smoke24 wrote:
HawthorneWingo wrote:

Fair use to mean put up your dukes and fight only one person. Nowadays, it means I will not shoot you in the back.

Return to New York Knicks