ImageImageImageImage

2023 NBA Draft Thread 3

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Re: 2023 NBA Draft Thread 3 

Post#1681 » by Bensational » Fri Jun 2, 2023 11:46 pm

My comp for Black would be MCW with better court vision, (and for the record, I love MCW but wouldn’t use a 6th pick on him). The hope is Black is only 19 so he might still be able to make his shot work. He’ll never be a huge scorer, imo. You’d pick him hoping he can lock in on defense, grow as a passer/playmaker and get a shot and become the guard version of Draymond. That’s the tip of the dream.

If WeHam keep the backcourt intact then Black could play the 2/3 off the bench as secondary playmaker to Cole.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,069

Post#1682 » by bigdogdylan5 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 11:54 pm

Bensational wrote:My comp for Black would be MCW with better court vision, (and for the record, I love MCW but wouldn’t use a 6th pick on him). The hope is Black is only 19 so he might still be able to make his shot work. He’ll never be a huge scorer, imo. You’d pick him hoping he can lock in on defense, grow as a passer/playmaker and get a shot and become the guard version of Draymond. That’s the tip of the dream.

If WeHam keep the backcourt intact then Black could play the 2/3 off the bench as secondary playmaker to Cole.

There is no universe where you take Black and keep Fultz that is just not smart and on par decision wise of the Knicks with Eddie Curry and Zach Randolph. Especially when both our stars still need to get better shooting 3s as well. If you want the defense just take Cason Wallace because I don’t think his shot is broken. I would have the same thoughts if Amen fell to us.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz takes:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year.
Petre1978
Sixth Man
And1: 372

Post#1683 » by Petre1978 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 11:58 pm

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,151

Post#1684 » by Knightro » Sat Jun 3, 2023 12:05 am

Bensational wrote:My comp for Black would be MCW with better court vision, (and for the record, I love MCW but wouldn’t use a 6th pick on him). The hope is Black is only 19 so he might still be able to make his shot work. He’ll never be a huge scorer, imo. You’d pick him hoping he can lock in on defense, grow as a passer/playmaker and get a shot and become the guard version of Draymond. That’s the tip of the dream.

I just can't get behind that at all.

If the Magic are willing to use a 6th overall pick on a guy like Black, then they should stick him on the ball immediately, starter or backup, and get him those NBA point guard reps to develop.

If they're not willing to do that, then I just wouldn't pick him. IMO his value is so much lower if he's not able to be an on-ball player offensively.

There's gonna be other guys available both at 6 and 11 - Dick, George, Ausar, Hawkins, Bufkin, Wallace among them - who will be able to theoretically give the Magic better off ball reps than Black will be able to give them.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,100

Post#1685 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Sat Jun 3, 2023 12:37 am

Knightro wrote:

If the Magic are willing to use a 6th overall pick on a guy like Black, then they should stick him on the ball immediately, starter or backup, and get him those NBA point guard reps to develop.

If they're not willing to do that, then I just wouldn't pick him. IMO his value is so much lower if he's not able to be an on-ball player offensively.

There's gonna be other guys available both at 6 and 11 - Dick, George, Ausar, Hawkins, Bufkin, Wallace among them - who will be able to theoretically give the Magic better off ball reps than Black will be able to give them.

Could also take Black at 6 and trade 11 & Cole or Fultz for a SG
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,788

Post#1686 » by RookieStar » Sat Jun 3, 2023 12:40 am

jonbob17 wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
The Effect wrote:Outside of Kessler being a 1st round pick (#22 overall last year), this is pretty spot on

Sorry but drafting a guy who averaged 5/5 last year in the top 11 is absolutely crazy. Not saying he wont be good, but youre reaching hard there

But its funny, because this seems to happen every single year. The draft sites and this board goes overboard about some "defensive stud" thats going to change a team with their defense etc and every year those players get hyped like crazy and we never hear from them again (ANyone remember the Usman Garuba hype??). In the NBA, its all about team defense and schemes and yet teams keep reaching for these defensive-only players and expect them to make a difference

Sorry but Lively is just another in a long string of 7fters who get overdrafted because they can block shots but nothing else. Like whats the difference between him and someone like Jaxon Hayes except that Hayes was a better college player?

Exactly. In this Magic board everyone by now probably knows my Duke fandom yet I never stan for the 2 Duke prospects in this draft. I bet that there isn't a regular poster here in this board that watched more Duke games last season than me. I always thought he should have gone with the M.Williams route and stayed one more year BUT with the circumstances around him, I understand why he did declare ASAP.

Lively, unless he is a different player in the NCAA compared to the league, is not worth a lotto pick.

Didn't Duke have the two best freshman center in the NCAA? Not sure how really get you really get the chance to showcase yourself in such a situation. The same could probably be said for Kyle Filipowski.

Definitely possible that both Lively and Filipowski end up as lottery picks.

If you wanna call Flip a C sure... but he was always the PF. Ryan Young and Lively always covered for him at the C spot. They played Flip like how we played Paolo... give him the ball at the 3pt line, in the lane or wherever.. so yeah Lively had every chance to showcase his arsenal if he wanted. Especially his supposed 3pt shot.

Also bear in mind, Lively *blossomed* nearing the end of the season.. he really sucked at the beginning that is why i was subjected to a lot of Ryan Young minutes... that is why i believed another season would have shown where he really is.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1687 » by Bensational » Sat Jun 3, 2023 12:50 am

Knightro wrote:

Ultimately I think he ends up like Jalen Williams from OKC, who’s capable of running point but he plays more wing. But he can hit the 3 which allows him to do that. Black could probably use a season to focus on his perimeter shot and bringing it up to snuff. If he’s a more complete player his value will be so much higher.

I’m not going to make a case for Black or how to use him. I like him and would be happy if we drafted him but the gamble on his jumper is too rich for me. But I have an unjustified hunch that WeHam are high on him and won’t be shocked if his name is called on draft night.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach

Post#1688 » by bigdogdylan5 » Sat Jun 3, 2023 1:04 am

It’s happened everyone!!! We finally have the Keyonte George hoops intellect video!
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1689 » by Bensational » Sat Jun 3, 2023 1:06 am

bigdogdylan5 wrote:

There is no universe where you take Black and keep Fultz that is just not smart and on par decision wise of the Knicks with Eddie Curry and Zach Randolph. Especially when both our stars still need to get better shooting 3s as well. If you want the defense just take Cason Wallace because I don’t think his shot is broken. I would have the same thoughts if Amen fell to us.

I personally would go this way as well. Wallace is my guy.

But, I can understand the gamble with Black. If he can become a solid shooter you’ve just added another big wing who can crash the paint and read a defense to kick out for an open look or hit a cutter - or shoot.

And in defense of the team improving shooting numbers, Fultz doesn’t improve it with his individual numbers but he does improve it by having the team shoot above average from deep off his passes. (But we want Fultz shooting that 3 ball).
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,151

Post#1690 » by Knightro » Sat Jun 3, 2023 1:07 am

Bensational wrote:Ultimately I think he ends up like Jalen Williams from OKC, who’s capable of running point but he plays more wing. But he can hit the 3 which allows him to do that. Black could probably use a season to focus on his perimeter shot and bringing it up to snuff. If he’s a more complete player his value will be so much higher.

I’m not going to make a case for Black or how to use him. I like him and would be happy if we drafted him but the gamble on his jumper is too rich for me. But I have an unjustified hunch that WeHam are high on him and won’t be shocked if his name is called on draft night.

I like Black a lot, but I'm only interested if the Magic think he's capable of being a full-time PG and are willing to play him there immediately.

If they think he's a off-ball guard or wing who can pass, I just wouldn't draft him.

There's a lot of other off-ball guards and wings who will be available who are better at being off-ball guards/wings, ya know?
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach

Post#1691 » by bigdogdylan5 » Sat Jun 3, 2023 1:13 am

Bensational wrote:
bigdogdylan5 wrote:

But, I can understand the gamble with Black. If he can become a solid shooter you’ve just added another big wing who can crash the paint and read a defense to kick out for an open look or hit a cutter - or shoot.

And in defense of the team improving shooting numbers, Fultz doesn’t improve it with his individual numbers but he does improve it by having the team shoot above average from deep off his passes. (But we want Fultz shooting that 3 ball).

I am with you I am very tentative to give up Fultz he is still so young and I don’t think he has reached his ceiling. We could really regret it. The bottom line is we just have way too many guards. If we draft a guard Harris has to go. I also would like to see Suggs get some PG reps this year even if it’s 10 a game. We gotta figure out what we have there
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#1692 » by basketballRob » Sat Jun 3, 2023 1:43 am

I would take Keyonte before Dick.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,799

Post#1693 » by IllMagic04 » Sat Jun 3, 2023 2:28 am

Im confused on Livelys sudden rise. Did he have a really good work out vs air or something? Hit some jumpers in a empty gym?

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
uraverage
Rookie
And1: 459

Post#1694 » by uraverage » Sat Jun 3, 2023 2:58 am

RookieStar wrote:
jonbob17 wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
Exactly. In this Magic board everyone by now probably knows my Duke fandom yet I never stan for the 2 Duke prospects in this draft. I bet that there isn't a regular poster here in this board that watched more Duke games last season than me. I always thought he should have gone with the M.Williams route and stayed one more year BUT with the circumstances around him, I understand why he did declare ASAP.

Lively, unless he is a different player in the NCAA compared to the league, is not worth a lotto pick.

Didn't Duke have the two best freshman center in the NCAA? Not sure how really get you really get the chance to showcase yourself in such a situation. The same could probably be said for Kyle Filipowski.

Definitely possible that both Lively and Filipowski end up as lottery picks.

If you wanna call Flip a C sure... but he was always the PF. Ryan Young and Lively always covered for him at the C spot. They played Flip like how we played Paolo... give him the ball at the 3pt line, in the lane or wherever.. so yeah Lively had every chance to showcase his arsenal if he wanted. Especially his supposed 3pt shot.

Also bear in mind, Lively *blossomed* nearing the end of the season.. he really sucked at the beginning that is why i was subjected to a lot of Ryan Young minutes.that is why i believed another season would have shown where he really is.

I enjoyed watching Young, but I like players that play with passion(heart). His hustle stood out to me. Sadly I think Lively had it easy this year next to Flip and didn't show enough for me. Besides blocks, i question if Lively has other skills to justify the minutes.

With that said, next year should be fun with Proctor and Filipowski. Kinda wish Lively would have come back too.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,090

Post#1695 » by yoyojw17 » Sat Jun 3, 2023 4:05 am

bigdogdylan5 wrote:
Bensational wrote:
bigdogdylan5 wrote:There is no universe where you take Black and keep Fultz that is just not smart and on par decision wise of the Knicks with Eddie Curry and Zach Randolph. Especially when both our stars still need to get better shooting 3s as well. If you want the defense just take Cason Wallace because I don’t think his shot is broken. I would have the same thoughts if Amen fell to us.

I am with you I am very tentative to give up Fultz he is still so young and I don’t think he has reached his ceiling. We could really regret it. The bottom line is we just have way too many guards. If we draft a guard Harris has to go. I also would like to see Suggs get some PG reps this year even if it’s 10 a game. We gotta figure out what we have there

I'm not including fultz in anything unless the option is a for sure upgrade and a young all star level player. Fultz's surface has possibly been scratched. I'd rather see how deep it goes before someone else.
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,475

Post#1696 » by DiplomaticMagic » Sat Jun 3, 2023 5:16 am

Keyonte looks like a star but I worry about the efficiency. A lot of his flaws are similar to Cole when coming out.
Stop playing Fultz
Play AB and Goga
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,223

Post#1697 » by pepe1991 » Sat Jun 3, 2023 6:34 am

My jaws drop every time i see that somebody wants "allstar " for Fultz.

KP jr on Houston is 2 years younger, puts much better numbers, even his advance stats are better and apsolutley nobody views him as future star. But Fultz, drafted back in 2017, who's draft class gave 6 different allstars is being sold as "developing" player.

While, younger Tatum, gets heat for not delivering in finals and ECF. Double standards at it's finest.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,142

Post#1698 » by eyriq » Sat Jun 3, 2023 7:51 am

I see 3 comps for Black that are interesting. Kemba Walker, Bruce Brown, and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander.

Bruce Brown was the more dominant rebounder and defender, while Kemba and Shai were better playmakers . Shai was easily the most efficient of the bunch.

I think with Black you consider his FTr, size, athleticism, defensive impact, and just overall well roundedness as major points in his favor. His upside as a playmaker is huge, and if he develops a shot he's an all-star.
Petre1978
Sixth Man
And1: 372

Post#1699 » by Petre1978 » Sat Jun 3, 2023 8:34 am

Magic get Whitmore and Dick
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,223

Post#1700 » by pepe1991 » Sat Jun 3, 2023 8:35 am

Wouldn't Cade with much worst jumpshot be better comp to Black than most others?

6'6-6'7 big ballhandler with nice floor vision, ability to draw fouls and defend PG-SG-SF spots?

From mid January i repeat same thing, Black is very interesting prospect, issue is his with Magic.

I would not be against drafting him if i'm confident with notion that Weltman will make needed trades to balance out roster. But i'm not confident with that at all. I think we will draft 2 BPA in their mind and just run it back.

Idea of trading out of 6th pick is growing on me, for example 6th pick for Houston Rockets 2024 pick that is owned by OKC and is only top 4 protected and 12th pick.

I'm really not confident with anybody potentially aveliable at 6# that i would be 100% behind , and sure that player will be actual help going forward. Too many boom or bust potentials there.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon

Return to Orlando Magic