ImageImageImageImage

Do you think Aaron Gordon will emerge as a breakout star this year?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Do you think Aaron Gordon will emerge as a breakout star this year?

Yes
48%
No
52%

Total votes: 130

PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Re: Do you think Aaron Gordon will emerge as a breakout star this year? 

Post#141 » by PennytoShaq » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:59 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:
Bensational wrote:
Yeah totally. At this point, I think people are completely justified if they see AG as a guy who will be a limited offensive player going forwards. I'm not trying to convince anyone otherwise. I just have my opinion, which is admittedly driven by a good chunk of optimism, but also because AG is young and he's only just started trying these things out. Like, he's 21, and he's only just started trying to incorporate perimeter elements to his game, but he has a great attitude and work ethic which I think will drive him to polish them to being effective at the very least. If you treat those as rookie season numbers for him, he's got another 2-3 years still to make his first allstar game before turning 24. 8-)

Also, it is sports. Some guys on here just want to be right and they leverage numbers that work for them and act like they know everything that will happen before it does. There is nothing wrong with being optimistic about a young 21 year old player at all. If everything happened exactly as scripted than no one would watch sports at all.

Gordon's shooting #s were not that great but I saw Milsapp was mentioned. Gordon destroyed him at PF. Milsap could not get by him on offense without using his off arm and finally getting whistled for it, and he could not defend Gordon at all.

If all AG is doing his getting his jumpshooting down, then I believe he will improve it. The debate is to what level.

The poll is whether or not he becomes a breakout "star" by seasons end. AG could very well become a solid player in a few years. He could even make large strides this year.

Star? I have a hard time seeing that for him ever. 22 people aren't being realistic with their expectations.

Large strides is what I expect or he is traded. Breakout star - I don't even know what that means. Just sounds like hyperbole so I didn't vote at all.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#142 » by Skin » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:50 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
Skin wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:Are we going to pretend that 22 people that voted actually believe AG will be a breakout "star" by the end of the year?

wow...

I would expect nothing less from you.

:lol: :nod:
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,226

Post#143 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:45 pm

I just know that they need to keep AG at PF for him to be effective. I don't know what that means for ji nor do I care, ( I don't think they should've drafted him in the first place, but that's unrelated). To me this team has been a dumpster fire between coaching changes, bad drafts, bad trades (Ibaka), and god awful signings (Biyombo).

AG isnt a go to scorer and never will be so force feeding him the ball is a stupid idea. We need to play the way we did the second half of last season where Payton dominated the ball and created for everyone around him. Vuc, Fournier, and Ross can iso if the situation calls for it, but they just aren't built to do full time. I'm not a fan of PG's who cant shoot, but as currently constructed thats the best way for this team to play, and if the effect is AG having some type of "breakout year" so be it.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
ralphie9898
Analyst
And1: 390

Post#144 » by ralphie9898 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:53 am

It depends on you definition of star. I think he is the star for Orlando but for even the Eastern Conference he isn't. We can endlessly debate the future as none of us know what will happen. But if you are talking about an NBA star I would say no. To me a star is someone who makes the all-star team or is near it as the selection there can be biased and focused on guys who have already made names for themselves. But I think Gordon could take a step forward and can be a solid starter(for most teams(as you have to consider how he would fare on teams beyond ours). Though he does have some star quality if you talk about what he did at the Dunk contest. So he is known fairly well for that but that has yet to translate to star level in games yet and I don't think it ever will but I think he could be a very solid player who has a long career as either a good starter or one of the top bench guys.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#145 » by drsd » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:01 am

Not only does ESPN rank Gordon over Ryan Anderson, he is over Serge Ibaka.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#146 » by tiderulz » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:32 pm

drsd wrote:Not only does ESPN rank Gordon over Ryan Anderson, he is over Serge Ibaka.

amazing how far a 2nd place finish in the Dunk contest can get you
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,125

Post#147 » by pepe1991 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:55 pm

drsd wrote:Not only does ESPN rank Gordon over Ryan Anderson, he is over Serge Ibaka.

In what world Tristan Thompson is better than Garry Harris for 20 spots? Not to mention brutal overrate of Marcus Smart and Lonzo Ball and you can bet your a** that Brook Lopez would be 20 spots behind 51 if he stayed with NEts or signed with any other team than LAL

From top to bottom whole list is wack as hell
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
bargnanimvp
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,362

Post#148 » by bargnanimvp » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:22 pm

I heard they had crowder, middleton and turner ranked over derozan
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#149 » by OrlandoDream » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:11 am

I'm not expecting a breakout year like Giannis but I'm expecting him to put up similar if not slightly improved numbers like the ones he posted post-Ibaka. He avg like 16pt after ibaka trade and shot HORRIBLY from 3 in that stretch. If he can just improve his 3Pt shot to a 33-34%, AG can avg close to 20ppg if he stays healthy.

Hope we resign him at a fair deal but you also have to see how Isaac will emerge his rookie year.
T-Cat
Sixth Man
And1: 419

Post#150 » by T-Cat » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:26 am

tiderulz wrote:

amazing how far a 2nd place finish in the Dunk contest can get you

You guys! What # is Zach LaVine?
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#151 » by drsd » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:11 am

pepe1991 wrote:From top to bottom whole list is wack as hell

That Gordon is Orlando's only ranked player is insane. He is probably the 4th best player on the team.

pepe1991
RealGM

Post#152 » by pepe1991 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:23 am

drsd wrote:

That Gordon is Orlando's only ranked player is insane. He is probably the 4th best player on the team.

I would take Evan over half of people from 70-100.
Even Vučević and Payton over some of them.

Good lord, Waiters, Cody Zeller, Mirotić, Roberson, TT, MKG . Would any of them even start for Magic? Don't think so.

Mirotić? I mean really? Compred to Euro nba players Bogdanovic and Evan are so much better but hey, they play for Pacers and Magic, not (probably much worst, but it's still Chicago) Bulls.

I'm not sure that Robert Covington himself would rank himself over Wiggins and Melo :lol:
NickAnderson
General Manager
And1: 2,922

Post#153 » by NickAnderson » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:19 am

I don't think he'll ever be a star but I really solid starter, maybe an all star selection or two when it's all said and done. Tops 18 ppg 6rbp

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#154 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:45 am

pepe1991 wrote:
drsd wrote:

Good lord, Waiters, Cody Zeller, Mirotić, Roberson, TT, MKG . Would any of them even start for Magic? Don't think so.

Mirotić? I mean really? Compred to Euro nba players Bogdanovic and Evan are so much better but hey, they play for Pacers and Magic, not (probably much worst, but it's still Chicago) Bulls.

I'm not sure that Robert Covington himself would rank himself over Wiggins and Melo :lol:

They should have called it "My personal opinion" list.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#155 » by pepe1991 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:49 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
drsd wrote:

It's espn, they treat their agendas as facts
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#156 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:51 am

pepe1991 wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

So, they are like RealGMers! 8-)

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#157 » by pepe1991 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:57 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

So, they are like RealGMers! 8-)

yea :lol:
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#158 » by RickB-Orlando » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:15 pm

They also rank Lonzo Ball - who has not stepped onto a court yet - ahead of Carmelo Anthony.

All you're going to do is hurt your credibility if you're going to reference the ESPN rankings.
Hogified05
Rookie
And1: 498

Post#159 » by Hogified05 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:46 pm

Gordon to me is an athletic version of Draymond. Super versatile who thrives with alpha dog scorer or scorers beside them. If Draymond was the go-to guy on a team in the NBA he wouldn't even sniff an All-Star game. But his talents are fully exposed and maximized on Golden State. If we could even just get 1 go-to scorer I think AG would take off. I don't see him as the man, I hope I am wrong because I love me some AG and we need some excitement. He does everything Draymond can do expect has more athleticism. Draymond is a bit more consistent on his shot, but improved shooting usually comes with age and decreased athleticism (see KIdd, Carter etc). I hope Isaac or Gordon or a trade bring some excitement because these last few years have been dull as hell to watch. As long as I've watched the Magic, even when we sucked we at least were fun to watch (McGrady, heart and hustle etc)
The hero Orlando deserves is out there somewhere, Dwight was not the one we needed. So we will hunt for him...
BlueBalls
Sixth Man
And1: 660

Post#160 » by BlueBalls » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:34 am

No. He's not a star.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Return to Orlando Magic