ImageImageImageImage

Vuc named player of the week!

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,272

Re: Vuc named player of the week! 

Post#21 » by pepe1991 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:23 am

Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,907

Post#22 » by drsd » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:55 pm

MoMM wrote:And probably he is the only Magic to get it since D12.

Jan 22, 2012 was by Howard as the last player of the week besides the Mar 31, 2014 by Vučević

Player of the week list
iTs JusT zo
Bench Warmer
And1: 248

Post#23 » by iTs JusT zo » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:25 pm

Holy crap @anothony Davis's stats wow lol
Yet even amid the suffering that results from sin...god's love is revealed.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#24 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:14 pm

NavalAviator94 wrote:
bargnanimvp wrote:Wonder how many 2nd round picks we can get for him if we pull the trigger right now?

he's having a great year, if he can keep this up do we even look at trading bamba for a point guard?

Or another foundational player like Beal but you certainly have to think about it. Vuc has been a really good player for a while and he's just peaking skill wise. What people don't really grasp is his consistency and how hard it is to do that night in and out. He's not having an ok or bad game and then a stellar game like some of our players. This is every single night and that consistency at a high level is valuable, especially for a playmaker who can play with anyone.

The reality is we can find a cheap back up that's good. Centers are the least expensive position in the league and with all of the money going to wings and shooting, Vuc is going to have a hard time getting what he deserves. I say re-sign Vuc and use Bamba to get us a young player like Beal. Sign Kemba(God willing) outright and go over the cap for Vuc and maybe T-Ross. Sign a backup big with the exception and see how things go from there.

Agreed. Considering the struggles we've had over the course of the last 7 years and the fact that all this team has really been missing are go to scorers, if a deal comes up where we have the opportunity to turn this team into Kemba, Beal, Isaac, Gordon, and Vuc, with Ross and DJ coming off the bench our front office would be idiots not to consider it. They wouldn't be doing their jobs.

We don't know what we have in Bamba yet...Good or bad...but I haven't exactly seen him do anything spectacular on either side of the ball.With all of that hype surrounding the longest wingspan in history he's a pretty underwhelming shot blocker and rebounder. Not that I want to give up on him already, but i literally watch other guys having good seasons and they're also rookies. I mean so you cut these guys some slack right (?), because everyone's learning curve is different, but at some point we should expect some consistency at doing something and I don't think that's unfair.

There's just a lot of work to do on that front and I don't want to be force fed a player again just because he was "their guy" like Hennigan did with Payton at the expense of better players if he doesn't project to be anything more than a back up.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
NavalAviator94
Analyst
And1: 1,456

Post#25 » by NavalAviator94 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:55 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
NavalAviator94 wrote:
bargnanimvp wrote:Wonder how many 2nd round picks we can get for him if we pull the trigger right now?

he's having a great year, if he can keep this up do we even look at trading bamba for a point guard?

Or another foundational player like Beal but you certainly have to think about it. Vuc has been a really good player for a while and he's just peaking skill wise. What people don't really grasp is his consistency and how hard it is to do that night in and out. He's not having an ok or bad game and then a stellar game like some of our players. This is every single night and that consistency at a high level is valuable, especially for a playmaker who can play with anyone.

The reality is we can find a cheap back up that's good. Centers are the least expensive position in the league and with all of the money going to wings and shooting, Vuc is going to have a hard time getting what he deserves. I say re-sign Vuc and use Bamba to get us a young player like Beal. Sign Kemba(God willing) outright and go over the cap for Vuc and maybe T-Ross. Sign a backup big with the exception and see how things go from there.

Agreed. Considering the struggles we've had over the course of the last 7 years and the fact that all this team has really been missing are go to scorers, if a deal comes up where we have the opportunity to turn this team into Kemba, Beal, Isaac, Gordon, and Vuc, with Ross and DJ coming off the bench our front office would be idiots not to consider it. They wouldn't be doing their jobs.

We don't know what we have in Bamba yet...Good or bad...but I haven't exactly seen him do anything spectacular on either side of the ball.With all of that hype surrounding the longest wingspan in history he's a pretty underwhelming shot blocker and rebounder. Not that I want to give up on him already, but i literally watch other guys having good seasons and they're also rookies. I mean so you cut these guys some slack right (?), because everyone's learning curve is different, but at some point we should expect some consistency at doing something and I don't think that's unfair.

There's just a lot of work to do on that front and I don't want to be force fed a player again just because he was "their guy" like Hennigan did with Payton at the expense of better players if he doesn't project to be anything more than a back up.

Exactly. When you go back and look at all the decisions they made because of Elfrid, you can see that he killed us.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#26 » by pepe1991 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:09 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
NavalAviator94 wrote:

Stop it, you make too much sense :lol:

Also i noticed huge shift in direction this year.
Best defensive teams in whole league are teams without some rim running C who is shotblocking machine.
NBA is moving to "smart " positional defense where bigs need to be smart more than be athletic or long ( not that it hurts, but it's not pivotal).

Look at top 10 defensive teams:
Boston -6'10 center who is just good at positioning and solid after switch
Memphis , 7'2 ,33 years old Gasol
Pacers - Turner who gets outplayed by Sabonis every game ( can't rebound for **t , guy gets worst being 22 )
OKC- Adams, career 1 bpg on 30 mpg player, not rim defender
Bucks - Lopez - lol
Nugg- Jokić ,slow unathletic c
Raptors- ibaka and Jonas
Blazers- Nurkić
Pistons- Drummond isn't defender by any streach of imagination
Dallas- and finally rim running,shot blocking C

I belive that new vawe of nba defense is having smart,responsible players who won't let others down and won't make lot of mental mistakes.

Where Bamba fits in all that? I don't know, nobody knows for sure, but his wingspan gives him more empty stats blocks than actually helps him being good defender. In sense he kind a reminds me of Camby (late version ) where he was just camping on weak side to block 6'2 guards and let defense collapse a lot because of it. Or Mcgee. Who can block 5 shots a game and still let Ibaka and Vučević make 30 of 35 shots against him.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,917

Post#27 » by MagicMatic » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:27 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
NavalAviator94 wrote:

Best defensive teams in whole league are teams without some rim running C who is shotblocking machine.
NBA is moving to "smart " positional defense where bigs need to be smart more than be athletic or long ( not that it hurts, but it's not pivotal).

Pacers - Turner who gets outplayed by Sabonis every game ( can't rebound for **t , guy gets worst being 22 )
Bucks - Lopez - lol
Raptors- ibaka and Jonas
Blazers- Nurkić

I belive that new vawe of nba defense is having smart,responsible players who won't let others down and won't make lot of mental mistakes.

Where Bamba fits in all that? I don't know, nobody knows for sure, but his wingspan gives him more empty stats blocks than actually helps him being good defender. In sense he kind a reminds me of Camby (late version ) where he was just camping on weak side to block 6'2 guards and let defense collapse a lot because of it. Or Mcgee. Who can block 5 shots a game and still let Ibaka and Vučević make 30 of 35 shots against him.

The argument isn’t necessarily about having a Center that needs to be a defensive powerhouse to be good, it’s about teams that are actually in the running to win championships don’t run their offense through their Center or have them shoot 20+ times a game. Defense and rebounding at the position is just required.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#28 » by pepe1991 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:45 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:Agreed. Considering the struggles we've had over the course of the last 7 years and the fact that all this team has really been missing are go to scorers, if a deal comes up where we have the opportunity to turn this team into Kemba, Beal, Isaac, Gordon, and Vuc, with Ross and DJ coming off the bench our front office would be idiots not to consider it. They wouldn't be doing their jobs.

Bucks - Lopez - lol
Raptors- ibaka and Jonas
Blazers- Nurkić

The argument isn’t necessarily about having a Center that needs to be a defensive powerhouse to be good, it’s about teams that are actually in the running to win championships don’t run their offense through their Center or have them shoot 20+ times a game. Defense and rebounding at the position is just required.

But some of best teams in rankings this year are:
Memphis- leading scorer C
Blazers - 3rd option C
Raptors- second option C
Philly - first option C

I don't think that C can be go to scorer today in most cases ( minus Embiid and maybe Jokić) but it sure can be second or third best player on great team/ contender.

However you look at, it's impossible to be great without ball guard/wing who can make right plays with ball. Everything else can be adjusted i guess.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,534

Post#29 » by Furinkazan » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:48 pm

iTs JusT zo wrote:Holy crap @anothony Davis's stats wow lol

Vuc stats look so timid when you look at AD stats.

Still gz Vooch
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#30 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:06 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

Bucks - Lopez - lol
Raptors- ibaka and Jonas
Blazers- Nurkić

Blazers - 3rd option C
Raptors- second option C
Philly - first option C

I don't think that C can be go to scorer today in most cases ( minus Embiid and maybe Jokić) but it sure can be second or third best player on great team/ contender.

However you look at, it's impossible to be great without ball guard/wing who can make right plays with ball. Everything else can be adjusted i guess.
What?! :lol: All people talked about was having a rim rolling defensive powerhouse at center. They dont get to suddenly move the goal posts now.

The positions in the NBA have always been cyclical, with different positions dominating the league at certain times of the course of its history and teams build based on the incoming talent pool. There is no recipe to winning a title, its about having elite players and surrounding them with pieces that fit. While I think having go to scorers on the wings and 3pt shooting is important to keep the floor spaced I dont think you need to be void of a scoring center in order to win a title and I certainly dont think you avoid going to a center on offense. If that's the case then Philly, Wolves, and Phoenix need to start fielding calls for Embiid, KAT, and Ayton immediately. Whats the point?
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,917

Post#31 » by MagicMatic » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:12 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

Blazers - 3rd option C
Raptors- second option C
Philly - first option C

What?! :lol: All people talked about was having a rim rolling defensive powerhouse at center. They dont get to suddenly move the goal posts now.

The positions in the NBA have always been cyclical, with different positions dominating the league at certain times of the course of its history and teams build based on the incoming talent pool. There is no recipe to winning a title, its about having elite players and surrounding them with pieces that fit. While I think having go to scorers on the wings and 3pt shooting is important to keep the floor spaced I dont think you need to be void of a scoring center in order to win a title and I certainly dont think you avoid going to a center on offense. If that's the case then Philly, Wolves, and Phoenix need to start fielding calls for Embiid, KAT, and Ayton immediately. Whats the point?

When have the goalposts moved? You can win in this league without a top 10-15 C offensively. They need to rebound and play defense.

Vuc would be a great 2nd or 3rd option on any team. Being the focal point? Nah. The same reason all the teams you listed aren’t successful aside from Philly who has Simmons to run things. The same reason why the Pelicans weren’t successful last year either despite having two of the best in the game. Jokic only works because they have perimeter options and other players that can create. The stance hasn’t changed.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,907

Post#32 » by drsd » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:22 pm

iTs JusT zo wrote:Holy crap @anothony Davis's stats wow lol

Kemba Walker quietly leads the league in ppg.

The apg leaders are in order: Kyle Lowry, Jrue Holiday, and Trae Young.

And Hassan Whiteside has this stat line so far: 13.3 ppg, 14.4 rpg, 3.1 bpg.

A weird season for stats (so far).

Return to Orlando Magic