ImageImageImageImage

Official Speculation Thread ‘18-19’: XXI: The Calm Before the Trading Deadline

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

BadHombre
Senior
And1: 481

Re: Official Speculation Thread ‘18-19’: XXI: The Arrival of Dennis Smith? 

Post#221 » by BadHombre » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:46 pm

The Effect wrote:Just so i have this straight, we are all willing to trade away our best player at the age of 23, to make room for a guy who

A) Cant stay healthy
B) Is scared to shoot
C) Has NO offensive game to speak of
D) Has long arms

Sorry, but isaac has shown nothing to prove he will ever be a capable scorer in this league, and for as much as people want to scream defense, this is an offensive league, and you win more because of your ability to score rather than ability to stop someone from scoring

Isaac not only has a career high of 18pt, but over the past 2 months, hes averaging 7/4/2 as a starter and shooting 39/25/87

Sorry but i dont get it with guy, what is everyone obsession with him? what exactly has he shown that you all swoon over him and are willing to throw away Aaron gordon to make room for him??

Who’s offered to trade Gordon away? Keeping the two of them isn’t a mutually exclusive option, yet.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#222 » by yoyojw17 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:15 pm

The "problem" is.... we draft a lot projects... players that are a couple years from showing their true potential... and maybe a year or two away from truly contributing.And at the same time.... we have fans that forget that instead sees everything burning around them because they don't see the change NOW. Kind of hard to juggle it all and keep people happy.....
Magic#1
General Manager
And1: 1,108

Post#223 » by Magic#1 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:32 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:The "problem" is.... we draft a lot projects... players that are a couple years from showing their true potential... and maybe a year or two away from truly contributing.And at the same time.... we have fans that forget that instead sees everything burning around them because they don't see the change NOW. Kind of hard to juggle it all and keep people happy.....

Which is part of the reason why I don't understand our obsession with trying to get to the playoffs now.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#224 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:33 pm

BadHombre wrote:
The Effect wrote:Just so i have this straight, we are all willing to trade away our best player at the age of 23, to make room for a guy who

A) Cant stay healthy
B) Is scared to shoot
D) Has long arms

Sorry, but isaac has shown nothing to prove he will ever be a capable scorer in this league, and for as much as people want to scream defense, this is an offensive league, and you win more because of your ability to score rather than ability to stop someone from scoring

Isaac not only has a career high of 18pt, but over the past 2 months, hes averaging 7/4/2 as a starter and shooting 39/25/87

Sorry but i dont get it with guy, what is everyone obsession with him? what exactly has he shown that you all swoon over him and are willing to throw away Aaron gordon to make room for him??

Who’s offered to trade Gordon away? Keeping the two of them isn’t a mutually exclusive option, yet.
How is Aaron Gordon our best player?

Sent from my VS501 using RealGM mobile app
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Post#225 » by JF5 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:50 am

AG to me was never a long term answer in Orlando at the 4 unless there was a dynamic Center or Forward that was paired up next to him. Once Issac was drafted to me at least seemed it was a matter of time before he would take AG's spot. He's a lot more versatile and has the physical tools/abilities that AG never really possessed as a prospect and even now as a 5th year guy. Even if Issac doesn't become a star he'll be a lot more impactful than AG in the grand scheme of things.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,553

Post#226 » by Bergmaniac » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:54 am

Memphis is willing to listen to offers for Conley, I think we should go for him. He\s exactly the type of player we desperately need.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Post#227 » by JF5 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:54 am

A) Cant stay healthy
B) Is scared to shoot
D) Has long arms

:lol:

I guess there isn't a guy we're running the offense through who is averaging 20/12/3 right now...

AG cult members here are hilarious sometimes...
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,300

Post#228 » by NotACat » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:04 am

Bergmaniac wrote:Memphis is willing to listen to offers for Conley, I think we should go for him. He\s exactly the type of player we desperately need.

If they're going to tank, we can definitely help them. His $30M contract for 3 years is rough, but I would go for it with the right package (not giving up long term pieces).

If they purely want cap room, Moz, Simmons, and Grant works but I don't think they do it
Black Lives Matter
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#229 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:18 am

Don't want nothing to do with any $30 mil per aging PG's.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#230 » by Blue_and_Whte » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:21 am

JF5 wrote:

A) Cant stay healthy
B) Is scared to shoot
D) Has long arms

I guess there isn't a guy we're running the offense through who is averaging 20/12/3 right now...

He's also obviously dependent on having scorers around him.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Magic#1
General Manager
And1: 1,108

Post#231 » by Magic#1 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:23 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:Don't want nothing to do with any $30 mil per aging PG's.

Question: How does Mike Conley help us win a championship?
Answer: He doesn't.

Conley gets us a four, maybe five, game series with the Raptors or Bucks in the first round. And not much more hope for the future. With our current roster, the only way it will contend for a title if properly developed is if we get a superstar guard somehow. If any trade does not put us closer to getting that, then we shouldn't do it. Conley keeps us out of the tank and unable to sign any free agents who would even consider coming here.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,704

Post#232 » by thelead » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:23 am

JF5 wrote:Even if Issac doesn't become a star he'll be a lot more impactful than AG in the grand scheme of things.

How do you come to this conclusion?

At the same age/season 2, AG was better almost across the board with Isaac only having a better ft% (83 vs 67) and BPG (1.1 vs .7) but EVERYTHING else was in favor for AG with 1 mpg less.

Isaac may one day develop into a better player than AG but the stats, and eye test, does not support that thought.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,595

Post#233 » by SOUL » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:24 am

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
JF5 wrote:

A) Cant stay healthy
B) Is scared to shoot
D) Has long arms

Real talk, who do you like on this team besides Vuc and Fournier?
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,958

Post#234 » by MagicMatic » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:25 am

Conley and Gasol don’t fit the timeframe. Knew people would be jumping all over the trade rumors though anyway.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,553

Post#235 » by Bergmaniac » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:34 am

Timeframe for what? the moment when Bamba and Isaac will become all-stars?
BadHombre
Senior
And1: 481

Post#236 » by BadHombre » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:55 am

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
JF5 wrote:

A) Cant stay healthy
B) Is scared to shoot
D) Has long arms

I’m surprised that this is the part of the post which rubbed you two the wrong way.

But, looking at their numbers at age 23, it’s a closer argument than you’d imagine. Gordon scores more and with better efficiency, Vucevic rebounds more, Gordon passes more, everything else is very similar.

This season, though, is a career year for Vuc and he’s definitely our most impactful player. I’m impressed that Aaron has worked his way up to being a solid #2 option alongside him though. In 5 years, he might be posting similar numbers/having the same impact as Vuc is today, too.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,380

Post#237 » by PrimeThyme » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:00 am

MagicMatic wrote:Conley and Gasol don’t fit the timeframe. Knew people would be jumping all over the trade rumors though anyway.

They don't fit the timeframe that a lot of us would like WeHam to have, but unfortunately for us, the hiring of Clifford and everything they have said tells me that they want us to compete sooner (very soon) rather than later. Woj said in one of his pods earlier this year that Weham "doesn't care" about our draft pick and that their full focus is on making the playoffs. I see a world where that pick could be on the table in a trade for a PG like Conley.

I'm not saying I would do it, but I can see why people would discuss it because I think trading for him is a real possibility.
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#238 » by RickB-Orlando » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:27 am

JF5 wrote:AG to me was never a long term answer in Orlando at the 4 unless there was a dynamic Center or Forward that was paired up next to him. Once Issac was drafted to me at least seemed it was a matter of time before he would take AG's spot. He's a lot more versatile and has the physical tools/abilities that AG never really possessed as a prospect and even now as a 5th year guy. Even if Issac doesn't become a star he'll be a lot more impactful than AG in the grand scheme of things.

I'm not sure he will be more impactful than AG, but if he can stay healthy I think he will be a comparable player.

The problem is, we *need* a primary scorer and most likely at the point. You've got to give something to get something, so AG seems like a potential trade piece to improve the scoring. I don't believe AG is likely to be the primary option on a winning team.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,019

Post#239 » by fendilim » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:24 am

BadHombre wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
JF5 wrote:

I’m surprised that this is the part of the post which rubbed you two the wrong way.

But, looking at their numbers at age 23, it’s a closer argument than you’d imagine. Gordon scores more and with better efficiency, Vucevic rebounds more, Gordon passes more, everything else is very similar.

This season, though, is a career year for Vuc and he’s definitely our most impactful player. I’m impressed that Aaron has worked his way up to being a solid #2 option alongside him though. In 5 years, he might be posting similar numbers/having the same impact as Vuc is today, too.

Until Gordon can prove he can create his own shot, he should never be a number 2 option, especially when you dont have an elite scorer as a number one option.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,958

Post#240 » by MagicMatic » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:52 am

Magic#1 wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:The "problem" is.... we draft a lot projects... players that are a couple years from showing their true potential... and maybe a year or two away from truly contributing.And at the same time.... we have fans that forget that instead sees everything burning around them because they don't see the change NOW. Kind of hard to juggle it all and keep people happy.....

Which is part of the reason why I don't understand our obsession with trying to get to the playoffs now.

This. The only “project” players that get any kind of forgiveness are the ones buried on the benches of playoff caliber teams. Why shoot for the playoffs ASAP just because “it’s about time” and “we need to be taken seriously”. That’s not how it works. You have to build something first and aren’t entitled to anything in the process.

Return to Orlando Magic