ImageImageImageImage

Official UCF Sports Thread - Basketball: NIT Bid? Football: Spring Practice Underway

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Re: #8/9 UCF [11-0] vs Memphis 

Post#101 » by nymets1 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:43 pm

We know Mckenzie is a big part of the team but we are more than just Mckenzie so we need to look good with our backup QB that we don't drop off in the conference championship game because we don't have Mckenzie. The committee has said they'll factor UCF with the loss of Mckenzie so conference championship game is an opportunity we don't drop off with backup qb.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 25,016

Post#102 » by Knightro » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:41 pm

nymets1 wrote:We know Mckenzie is a big part of the team but we are more than just Mckenzie so we need to look good with our backup QB that we don't drop off in the conference championship game because we don't have Mckenzie. The committee has said they'll factor UCF with the loss of Mckenzie so conference championship game is an opportunity we don't drop off with backup qb.

UCF is going to come in either 7th or 8th (most likely 8th) in the CFB Playoff rankings on Tuesday.

They would need Georgia, Ohio State and Oklahoma to all lose convincingly and they'd have to win convincingly to even have a remote chance at the 4th spot IMO.

It's just not in the cards this year.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,077

Post#103 » by UCF » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:27 pm

Mac would have to destroy the Memphis defense and chaos above us to even come close. I see a #5 -6 ranking if we win convincingly and a “come back next year with a tougher SOS” lecture.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#104 » by UCF » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:51 pm

Read on Twitter
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#105 » by craig01 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:02 pm

#7, so far is quite an achievement.

Despite so many detractors condemning the tactics used by UCF over the past year, the result has brought some credibility.

Now, Ucf is in the conversations of "if certain things take place" as opposed to last year when there was a zero chance
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#106 » by EasternMagic » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:54 pm

drsd wrote:
UCF wrote:Bigger than football, I just want to see the young man have full use of his leg again. Awful injury with a long recovery. Ohana

Assuming Milton would have been drafted in the 5th or 6th round, he was do something like a 200k - 400k signing bonus and a contract in the 2M - 3M range, where he would have been fairly likely to have earned at least 1M in the NFL.

Now he simply hopes he will be able to walk.

There needs to be some sort of insurance in the NCAAs for this outcome.
One tackle and Milton loses a million dollars Plus. Sad.

If I was Danny White, I would make sure that there's a designated job opening for Milton whenever he graduates. Give him free grad school and let him be a GA for the football team, and then have a spot for him on the staff when he finishes up if he wants it. Given that everyone who meets him loves him and how sharp he is on the field, he'd probably make for a pretty good coach. If Heupel is still around they'd probably mesh nicely together.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,062

Post#107 » by drsd » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:19 pm

drsd wrote:UCF will poll at 7 or 8 this week (depending on Michigan)
(one cannot doubt that the Buckeyes will overtake the Knights)

Looking forward:
Alabama / Georgia. The Knights really need a Bama win here. Otherwise there is probably no path for UCF to the playoffs.
Clemson / Pitt. A Pitt win jumbles this field. I think Clemson has a playoff slot over the Knights even with a loss though.
Notre Dame is in the playoffs.
Oklahoma / Texas. There is no path for UCF without a Texas win. We must all be Longhorns for this game.
OSU / Northwestern. A OSU loss is huge for UCF; Northwestern sports a loss to Akron. So ... I am not hopeful.

So:

UCF needs.
1) Georgia to lose
2) Oklahoma to lose
3) Some combination of an OSU loss and/or a Clemson loss
[ 4) Two-loss Michigan to not overtake UCF ]

If all four teams take a loss, I would think UCF has a better than half chance to make the playoffs.

The Washington St. and LSU losses were real keys.

Good to see UCF over Michigan, as it means that if all top teams win their games, UCF finishes a probable 6th (I would assume UCF overtakes Georgia, if they lose to Alabama).

Now the nightmare scenario.
Oklahoma loses, as does Clemson. And then Georgia beats Alabama.

Under that scenario Alabama probably is 4th with UCF 5th. Meaning a team that has two years in a row not won its conference title will go to the playoffs. And two years in a row an undefeated team is left out (although this year there is another undefeated team: Notre Dame).

drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,062

Re: #7 UCF [11-0] vs Memphis 

Post#108 » by drsd » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:22 pm

Right now ESPN is projecting UCF-Florida in the Peach bowl. I think UCF-Michigan in the Fiesta bowl makes more sense.
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#109 » by nymets1 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:51 am

If Darrell Mack could produce close to Mckenzie with running/ throwing than it won't necessarily be a downgrade from starting QB to backup QB. I don't know how the CCG is going to go because since we are on our home field there's always a chance to survive on our home field. Spectrum Stadium needs to be loud like the Cincinnati game was.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#110 » by UCF » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:57 am

The fiesta bowl would be a financial disaster for UCF if both teams share the same airport. Flights are expensive enough as is.

Peach bowl would be a quick sell out.
N4U|Redux
RealGM
And1: 14

Post#111 » by N4U|Redux » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:48 am

Man, that MM injury was grim. I hope he regains the ability to live a normal life.

Congrats on the win. With MM it'd have been a 64-12 day, for certain.

You're catching up on the series. Hopefully we fire Strong and don't hire anyone who wants to run power ever again.

http://www.winsipedia.com/south-florida/vs/ucf
(Note the national championships box. You convinced at least one place of your win lololol)
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
silent1900
Rookie
And1: 338

Post#112 » by silent1900 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:55 am

The line opens with UCF as a 3.5 point favorite.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#113 » by UCF » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:47 pm

N4U|Redux wrote:Man, that MM injury was grim. I hope he regains the ability to live a normal life.

Congrats on the win. With MM it'd have been a 64-12 day, for certain.

You're catching up on the series. Hopefully we fire Strong and don't hire anyone who wants to run power ever again.

http://www.winsipedia.com/south-florida/vs/ucf
(Note the national championships box. You convinced at least one place of your win lololol)

That’s the worst feeling victory I can ever recall. Felt like a funeral to honest.

I’m hoping strong stays at USF for years to come and I’m bummed our best friend Judy is retiring. Next president will likely fix the on campus stadium issue imo for you guys. It likely won’t be the 300 million stadium of your dreams but something closer to what Tulane just build with room to grow as needed.

As for our championship - it’s in the ncaa records so it definitely counts since it’s from a recognized major selector. It’s not the CFP so it’ll always have the * but it’s not like we care lol.

Our Knights have now finished perfect in our conference games 3 times. Try catching up with that record lol
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#114 » by UCF » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:05 pm

Winning = donations

First time I’ve seen a motion graphic for this project. Haven’t seen a ground breaking date set but I imagine that won’t take long with the $ committed.

Read on Twitter
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,455

Post#115 » by UCFJayBird » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:44 pm

I think I heard people will be able to tailgate next to it as well, lol.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#116 » by UCF » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:20 pm

I’ve also heard people complaining “their” spot is being taken away with that construction. I personally think this is awesome for the student athletes and for those who care for unique tailgating experience.
silent1900
Rookie
And1: 338

Post#117 » by silent1900 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:30 pm

Personally, I think building a lazy river on campus is weird and a poor use of funds.

Definitely eye catching, though, for better or worse.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#118 » by UCF » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:33 pm

silent1900 wrote:Personally, I think building a lazy river on campus is weird and a poor use of funds.

Yeah, it’s a luxuary item for sure that could go toward improving key facilities or getting basketball a better setup. This is essentially a 2 million dollar recruiting pool.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,303

Post#119 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:44 pm

UCF wrote:
silent1900 wrote:Personally, I think building a lazy river on campus is weird and a poor use of funds.

Yeah, it’s a luxuary item for sure that could go toward improving key facilities or getting basketball a better setup. This is essentially a 2 million dollar recruiting pool.

I agree. This is not a criticism of UCF but a more of the whole state of Football/Basketball college sports: the schools have lost their way in terms of what college is about. Seems like many schools care more about making money from the sports than educating students or building facilities that every student can take part in or making sure students can afford going to school without tens of thousands in debt. I want to see these universities getting back to basics, getting back to the reason they were founded for to being with.
aka: prorl
dsg2003mach1
Senior
And1: 464

Post#120 » by dsg2003mach1 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:49 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
UCF wrote:

I agree. This is not a criticism of UCF but a more of the whole state of Football/Basketball college sports: the schools have lost their way in terms of what college is about. Seems like many schools care more about making money from the sports than educating students or building facilities that every student can take part in or making sure students can afford going to school without tens of thousands in debt. I want to see these universities getting back to basics, getting back to the reason they were founded for to being with.

it'll be interesting to see as UCF's athletics grows and revenue with it if that gets pumped back into any other portion of the school or not

Return to Orlando Magic