ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 5.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 6,047

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 5.0 

Post#1021 » by Skybox » Wed May 22, 2024 5:58 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
cedric76 wrote:
RichCollab wrote:
He will be back and have a bounce back season.

I hope so but if we manage to draft carter and sign Monk, i would trade Cole for a forward

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, harris

It doesnt leave minutes for Cole

Gary isn’t on the team next season in a perfect world.

Highly unlikely Orlando selects a guard over a Forward or a Center as much as I too like Carter.

I like Gary but we don't need him as a #6 guard, Kevon or Queen are more than worthy...Cole for a bench forward, or even a pick makes sense too. I wouldn't rule out drafting a guard or even trading for more than one. AB, for example, is certainly big enough to slide up to 3 at times.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#1022 » by Skybox » Wed May 22, 2024 6:04 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:
Skybox wrote:
I don't think WCJ to ATL has legs since they won the lotto (they'll likely draft Sarr)...unless we took back Capela too (which would be fine, imo). We have the cap space and it wouldn't be a bad fit anyway. We could take back Capela, maybe keep our frp and draft one of the young C's that should be around #18 to develop. I actually like the idea of WCJ working with a young C and then, when it makes sense, WCJ can move to 4, at least on one end.

Murray is simply the ONLY one of the commonly mentioned targets that is an exceptional defender. We should pursue Murray FIRST, imo...but, if it doesn't jump, maybe call about Simons, then swiftly turn to Monk when FA opens.

Not sure they'll draft Sarr, its not like he's the consensus #1 pick, but anyway it can be a 3 team trade if needed. There are several teams out there that could really use WCJ.

Atlanta is possibly the most interesting team going into the draft/offseason.

They could blow it up by moving Trae, Murray, Bogs, Capela, Hunter, etc.

They could retool by moving just one or two of those guys (likely Capela) and select Sarr OR move Hunter and select Risacher.

Either way, I don’t see them keeping all of their starters.

I don't think Hunter will have much trade appeal. He's good but overpaid at 3 more years around $70m. I'd like to use our cap space to take him off their hands in a Murray trade. He's a solid, versatile 6th man and, perhaps, it takes a little off of Murray's price. I would consider the same for Capela - if it helps us get Murray. Both good players who would be good here but not necessarily primary trade targets. Like you said, ATL might be very dynamic this summer, so that kind of help with the financial side could be valued - towards other moves they want to make.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,213

Post#1023 » by zaymon » Wed May 22, 2024 7:36 pm

I know he is not popular here but I will be surprised if we dont resign Gary. He is ok coming from the bench, he is our most disciplined perimeter defender who was sometimes even better than Suggs becouse he didnt make as many mistakes.
If someone is not your A or B option he better be a defender, shooter and high character. Harris is all of that even if he has more scoring droughts than you would like.
I.would choose him every time over Cole Anthony.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Skybox
RealGM

Post#1024 » by Skybox » Wed May 22, 2024 7:53 pm

zaymon wrote:I know he is not popular here but I will be surprised if we dont resign Gary. He is ok coming from the bench, he is our most disciplined perimeter defender who was sometimes even better than Suggs becouse he didnt make as many mistakes.
If someone is not your A or B option he better be a defender, shooter and high character. Harris is all of that even if he has more scoring droughts than you would like.

Me too...but for a LOT less than his recent $13m. The presumption is AB, Jett and our summer acquisition(s) jumping him in the pecking order...Honestly, unless he REALLY loves it here, he should get a better opportunity elsewhere. He's not really that old or unfit.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,666

Post#1025 » by Skin » Wed May 22, 2024 7:56 pm

zaymon wrote:I know he is not popular here but I will be surprised if we dont resign Gary. He is ok coming from the bench, he is our most disciplined perimeter defender who was sometimes even better than Suggs becouse he didnt make as many mistakes.

He's better than Cole Anthony, but so was Terence Ross. Anthony got the new contract. Harris will be out of the league next season.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,277

Post#1026 » by cedric76 » Wed May 22, 2024 8:00 pm

I think we ll keep him around as our 5th guard vet

Cole s skills won't be needed with Monk and Jett around

We should trade Cole for forward depth/vet
Draft BPA and send him to G league
keep moe
Sign monk and DE'ANTHONY MELTON
Let chuma+fultz go
Harris on 1+1
Goga on 2+1

unleash Jett
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 25,028

Post#1027 » by Knightro » Wed May 22, 2024 8:01 pm

Skin wrote:

He's better than Cole Anthony, but so was Terence Ross. Anthony got the new contract. Harris will be out of the league next season.

I’d be willing to bet money that Gary Harris is not out of the league next season.
meatwad4343
Bench Warmer
And1: 307

Post#1028 » by meatwad4343 » Wed May 22, 2024 8:47 pm

There's a better chance of fultz being out of the league than Harris
byeganyo
Junior
And1: 138

Post#1029 » by byeganyo » Wed May 22, 2024 10:39 pm

Skin wrote:

Harris will get regular rotation minutes on more than half the teams in the league, he wil get a new contract and play, here or somewhere else.
Skin
RealGM

Post#1030 » by Skin » Wed May 22, 2024 11:11 pm

byeganyo wrote:
Skin wrote:

Harris will get regular rotation minutes on more than half the teams in the league, he wil get a new contract and play, here or somewhere else.

And if so, he will continue to provide zero impact to winning.
Skin
RealGM

Post#1031 » by Skin » Wed May 22, 2024 11:12 pm

Knightro wrote:
Skin wrote:

I’d be willing to bet money that Gary Harris is not out of the league next season.

Fine, but I'll bet wherever he is that that teams fans will be wishing he was.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,603

Post#1032 » by Bensational » Wed May 22, 2024 11:27 pm

Skin wrote:
Knightro wrote:
Skin wrote:He's better than Cole Anthony, but so was Terence Ross. Anthony got the new contract. Harris will be out of the league next season.

Skin
RealGM

Post#1033 » by Skin » Wed May 22, 2024 11:45 pm

Bensational wrote:
Skin wrote:
Knightro wrote:

He's a nice guy. Not knocking that. He's a waste of space on the court.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,457

Post#1034 » by pepe1991 » Thu May 23, 2024 7:18 am

MagicMatic wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:If Hawks straight out draft Sarr at 1#.... lol. I can't even...

I think they move the pick. What do you think?

Either trade down or simply take Zaccharie Risacher.

Hawks alraedy have not one, but two centers , one who they used lottery pick on, back in 2020 and it doesn't work for them.

There is whole bunch of awkward stuff going right now about 2024 mocks, i don't understand how can somebody with straight face mock Matas Buzelis as top 5 pick, while guy averaged 14 points on trash G league ( Ignite) team. Ditto to Ron Holland who's whole team played for his empty stats.

Donovan Clingan to me is another low ceiling pick, not much bust potential, but also what's best case? Not that skilled Valenciunas? Slightly better all around Kessler?

I like Cody Williams a lot, maybe it's brotherhood bias and my love for Jaden.

Most people figured this is one of worst draft classes since 2013, so i assume lot of teams will be tapping in dark in hope for new Giannis, taking some half baked raw kids.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,065

Post#1035 » by drsd » Thu May 23, 2024 9:19 am

NBAdraft.net currently has the Magic selecting KyShawn George. For me he is the only upside player in this range of the draft. If the Magic is drafting for its Osceola 2024/25 roster, he is an interesting pick for me. In three-years time, he might be a really intersting player.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,213

Post#1036 » by zaymon » Thu May 23, 2024 9:31 am

Skin wrote:
Knightro wrote:
Skin wrote:He's better than Cole Anthony, but so was Terence Ross. Anthony got the new contract. Harris will be out of the league next season.

Well if you are into great defense, moving the ball, and being mostly spot up shooter you will like him.
If you are into bad defense, chucking than you will not like him.
I am not sure you are aware we had no point guard this season and even Paolo admitted we need someone to organize our offense. Our best shooters were not getting the ball if they didnt want to chuck bad shots.
I ensure you its not Gary Harris fault our offense was bad. He is the scape goat for all people with different agendas. Unless you think he is our lead ball handler, number 1 or 2 option.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,065

Post#1037 » by drsd » Thu May 23, 2024 11:52 am

... the salary cap will top $200 million beginning in the 28-29 season. The supermax that season at 35 percent of the cap will have a starting salary of $72 million and be worth $419 million over five seasons.

Remind me why I got a college degree again?

And a p.s. : starting in the 2033/34 season, there will be NBA players earning 100M per year. It will soon be common for an NBA superstar to earn more than a billion dollars in career earnings purely from team salary.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,132

Post#1038 » by yoyojw17 » Thu May 23, 2024 12:09 pm

drsd wrote:
... the salary cap will top $200 million beginning in the 28-29 season. The supermax that season at 35 percent of the cap will have a starting salary of $72 million and be worth $419 million over five seasons.

Remind me why I got a college degree again?

And a p.s. : starting in the 2033/34 season, there will be NBA players earning 100M per year. It will soon be common for an NBA superstar to earn more than a billion dollars in career earnings purely from team salary.

MJ.... "Whatchu mean Jordan Poole is a billionaire?" Lol
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,236

Post#1039 » by tiderulz » Thu May 23, 2024 12:35 pm

zaymon wrote:
Skin wrote:
Knightro wrote:

Well if you are into great defense, moving the ball, and being mostly spot up shooter you will like him.
If you are into bad defense, chucking than you will not like him.
I am not sure you are aware we had no point guard this season and even Paolo admitted we need someone to organize our offense. Our best shooters were not getting the ball if they didnt want to chuck bad shots.
I ensure you its not Gary Harris fault our offense was bad. He is the scape goat for all people with different agendas. Unless you think he is our lead ball handler, number 1 or 2 option.

a few of us have been mentioning this. People say, oh PAolo and Franz can handle the ball, we dont need a PG. But even our stars would like a PG to help set the table, get the offensive flow going, get them some easy buckets and not force it on them all the time.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 6,007

Post#1040 » by Nyce_1 » Thu May 23, 2024 12:49 pm

Isaiah Joe.

The thunder have a team option him. If they try to be slick and decline his option to sneak in a raise, we should pounce to sign him. He doesn't fill the PG hole, but he can be a Gary Harris upgrade? Then if we really want to get crazy and transform our backcourt, we still go after Monk, Jones, or Simon.

Send Cole to SA so he can start or keep him.

Jones/Black
Suggs/Joe/Houstan
Franz/Jett/Ingles
Paolo/Isaac/
Wendell/Moe/Goga

Return to Orlando Magic