ImageImageImageImage

Official Magic Off Season Thread (update pg 1)

Moderators: Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, UCF, Knightro, ChosenSavior

What deal would you rather take for JJ Redick? And how likely would there be a deal?

SG Redick to Blazers for PF Ike Diogu
25%
Portland Accept?
17%
Portland Decline?
11%
F/C Battie & SG Redick to Nets for F/C Josh Boone and PF Stromile Swift
17%
New Jersey Accept?
6%
New Jersey Decline?
8%
SG Redick to Rockets for G Luthor Head & C Loren Woods
6%
Houston Accept?
2%
Houston Decline?
4%
SG Redick to Lakers for C/F Chris Mihm
6%

Total votes: 53

09BeginsOurTime
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: Official Magic Off Season Thread (update pg 1) 

Post#1081 » by 09BeginsOurTime » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:58 pm

Thanks...as far as trade rumors, who is the most likely to go?
We should all expect the national media to hate us.
spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,238

Re: Official Orlando Magic Off Season Thread 

Post#1082 » by spinedoc » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:49 pm

Neon1 wrote:I ran through the whole league looking at realistic trades that work under the cap and who could actually want Redick.

This is all i got..

Redick to Houston for PG/SG Luthor Head 6'3 185 and C Loren Woods 7'2 260.
Both contracts expiring and gives us two third options at PG and C.
Head can shoot it some and can possibly play defense on bigger PG's, Woods can at least block shots.

Redick to Portland for PF Ike Diogu 6'8 250
Diogu fills a need for us with his scoring at the reserve PF, he was just filler in that draft day trade. JJ could be useful out there for them, fills a needed role spacing for Oden off the bench.

Redick to Lakers for C Chris Mihm 7'0 250
Unsure if hes 100% recouped from his injury last offseason, but he would be our 2nd best big and capable backup that can fill short term if we somehow lost Howard for a few games. Expiring contract.

Battie and Redick to Nets for FC Josh Boone 6-10 245 & PF Stromile Swift 6-10 235
Nets probably dont do this one if Battie doesnt expire in time for LBJ23. With Yi and Lopez in the fold and Sean Williams lurking, The Nets possibly do this trade with us. For us Both are expiring contracts that slash an extra 8 million off the books a year early which makes plenty room for the bump in Hedo's contract and stay well clear of the luxury tax(if they choose to keep him).

Not to sound like a broken record, but what about Memphis? Redick and a conditional first for J.Crittenton would be pretty stellar. I agree with you that Lowry probably isn't available, but JC just might be. They need sg help with Miller being traded. They currently have Conley, Lowry, Jaric, and JC on their roster. They could play Jaric at the two because they only have Mayo there right now, but they are going to need someone else.

As far as Tinsley and Marbury, I don't like their personalities at all. One bad apple could spoil the bunch, but their games are pretty darn good for the league minimum. I would take a chance for that amount and given our situation. J-Will and Tinsley would be very nice behind Nelson. Also to answer your question about that combo guard guy Neon, Lee could be groomed for that role as well.
TheRevTy
Starter
And1: 0

Post#1083 » by TheRevTy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:50 pm

It is being reported on the O-Zone forum that JJ has cleaned out his locker.

Don't know if other lockers are full, if he was bored and decided to tidy up, or if Pietrus wanted that locker and told him to move his to the broom closet. I just report as I am told.
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,487

Post#1084 » by richboy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:19 pm

spinedoc wrote:
Neon1 wrote:I ran through the whole league looking at realistic trades that work under the cap and who could actually want Redick.

This is all i got..

Head can shoot it some and can possibly play defense on bigger PG's, Woods can at least block shots.

Diogu fills a need for us with his scoring at the reserve PF, he was just filler in that draft day trade. JJ could be useful out there for them, fills a needed role spacing for Oden off the bench.

Unsure if hes 100% recouped from his injury last offseason, but he would be our 2nd best big and capable backup that can fill short term if we somehow lost Howard for a few games. Expiring contract.

Battie and Redick to Nets for FC Josh Boone 6-10 245 & PF Stromile Swift 6-10 235
Nets probably dont do this one if Battie doesnt expire in time for LBJ23. With Yi and Lopez in the fold and Sean Williams lurking, The Nets possibly do this trade with us. For us Both are expiring contracts that slash an extra 8 million off the books a year early which makes plenty room for the bump in Hedo's contract and stay well clear of the luxury tax(if they choose to keep him).

Not to sound like a broken record, but what about Memphis? Redick and a conditional first for J.Crittenton would be pretty stellar. I agree with you that Lowry probably isn't available, but JC just might be. They need sg help with Miller being traded. They currently have Conley, Lowry, Jaric, and JC on their roster. They could play Jaric at the two because they only have Mayo there right now, but they are going to need someone else.

As far as Tinsley and Marbury, I don't like their personalities at all. One bad apple could spoil the bunch, but their games are pretty darn good for the league minimum. I would take a chance for that amount and given our situation. J-Will and Tinsley would be very nice behind Nelson. Also to answer your question about that combo guard guy Neon, Lee could be groomed for that role as well.

Memphis feels Critt has all-star talent. They don't play him as a PG but a SG. They just gave up Gasol to get Critt. You really think they going to trade Critt a few months later for JJ Redick and a late first.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#1085 » by craig01 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:25 pm

Marbury....I hope not.

Tinsley.......he's an irritant for sure.

So much for chemistry.............
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,238

Post#1086 » by spinedoc » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:53 pm

richboy wrote:
Memphis feels Critt has all-star talent. They don't play him as a PG but a SG. They just gave up Gasol to get Critt. You really think they going to trade Critt a few months later for JJ Redick and a late first.

Yes I do, but all star talent? You don't even think Lewis is all star talent, but now JC is, or soon to be? Man, you kill me. :lol:
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#1087 » by EasternMagic » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:56 pm

Soooo if JJ cleaned his locker out that means..... im sick anticipation i want to know now!!!!
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#1088 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:06 am

spinedoc wrote:
richboy wrote:

Yes I do, but all star talent? You don't even think Lewis is all star talent, but now JC is, or soon to be? Man, you kill me. :lol:

That is pretty funny!

Now moving on to the boys...

Marbury - NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Tinsley - Only with a minimum contract that has the stipulation that he will not hang out with any of the players outside of the building/Arena and he must purchase bullet proof vest for the entire team for bus/place rides.
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#1089 » by mhectorgato » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:33 am

craig01 wrote:Marbury....I hope not.

Early this week it was reported that we were renewing our efforts on Maggette, then next thing you know we got MP.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
lovehoops01
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#1090 » by lovehoops01 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:14 am

theTHIEF wrote:well well, check this out...

IF BOUGHT OUT OF CONTRACTS, MAGIC COULD BE INTERESTED IN MARBURY OR TINSLEY

I guess this grew some legs since last night...so I guess these two unnamed figured were not pulling my legs...

I sure hope he's wrong about that. He doesn't actually say anywhere that anyone on the Magic said it. He said "the Magic could be interested.'' Could be speculation.

I'm starting to feel kinda sick about the people they are thinking about bringing on this team because they don't want to spend an extra $2.5 million this season and a little more for a season or two after that. Because if they sign one of those guys to the vet minimum, it's going to be more than $1 million off the $3.5 million that Keyon wants anyway.

I don't know if it's their character so much as the chemistry problems they cause. They both have torpedoed their current teams, and Marbury has torpedoed three teams (Knicks, Nets and Suns).

Seems like they are being penny wise and pound foolish. You're willing to risk blowing up your team for $2.5 million that won't even put you over the luxury tax? Sure -- waste all the rest of the money you've spent on payroll because you don't want to spend an extra $2.5 million? Denton did say that the Pietrus signing puts them at $65 mil. That still leaves them $6 million-plus before they hit luxury tax land. I don't understand the problem.
lovehoops01
General Manager

Post#1091 » by lovehoops01 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:20 am

richboy wrote:
spinedoc wrote:

This is all i got..

I thought Critt was just a throw-in because they felt like giving away an all-star player for nothing because their former GM and friend of owner Michael Heisley also was a former Lakers star and GM.....and after all, the Lakers needed to be back in the Finals. It was the year of former star players for teams helping their former teams with trades (see also McHale with Celtics). But don't get me started. All this makes my blood boil. Some teams are getting the gifts of lifetimes in trades and the Magic can't get anyone to make a decent deal with them and won't even cough up a little extra cash for their own best free agent.

Seriously....read these people we are talking about them adding. The list is disgusting.
sackings916
Assistant Coach
And1: 659

Post#1092 » by sackings916 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:22 am

Would the Magic be interested in an Artest for Hedo swap? Artest played a lot of PF last season and is more physical then either Hedo or Lewis. And with Howard he could cover the deficiencies a 6'7 PF would have. Lewis can go back to SF.
Magic-Nelson/Pietrus/Lewis/Artest/Howard
Kings-Beno/Martin/Hedo/Thompson/Hawes
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 66

Post#1093 » by damo[23] » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:30 am

sackings916 wrote:Would the Magic be interested in an Artest for Hedo swap? Artest played a lot of PF last season and is more physical then either Hedo or Lewis. And with Howard he could cover the deficiencies a 6'7 PF would have. Lewis can go back to SF.
Magic-Nelson/Pietrus/Lewis/Artest/Howard
Kings-Beno/Martin/Hedo/Thompson/Hawes

I dont think anyone here would want Artest - we've had suggestions for that trade alot in past couple of seasons.

However - Lakers are shopping Odom - I'd rather, infact, I'd love to have him for a Hedo swap [and I think its a decent trade all round].
sackings916
Assistant Coach
And1: 659

Post#1094 » by sackings916 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:37 am

damo-If thats the case I think a 3 way trade between the Kings/Magic/Lakers would be beneficial for all 3 with the main pieces being Hedo to SAC, Artest to LAL, and Odom to ORL.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,390

Post#1095 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:19 pm

richboy wrote:

Lmao wow........
aka: prorl
Grady1train
Junior
And1: 2

Post#1096 » by Grady1train » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:21 pm

mhectorgato wrote:
craig01 wrote:Marbury....I hope not.

Early this week it was reported that we were renewing our efforts on Maggette, then next thing you know we got MP.

Otis being all green beret, never know what he's doing.
Lets go Magic!!!
corwin
Lead Assistant
And1: 13

Post#1097 » by corwin » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:31 pm

Reggie Evans is redundant in Philly now that they've drafted Speights & signed Brand. You'd need to add Bogans or another $2 million dollar salary to make the trade work. He is limited offensively but he rebounds, hustles, plays defense & is a great team player.
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#1098 » by theTHIEF » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:03 pm

Evans would be fantastic here, the only issue is his contract which would probably be the turn off here...I would risk it personally...a second unit of Battie and Evans would be very nice...
Edrock
Rookie
And1: 217

Post#1099 » by Edrock » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:04 pm

corwin wrote:... He is limited offensively but he rebounds, hustles, plays defense & is a great team player.

Grabs crotches... Don't forget grabs crotches...
dariusl7
Senior

Post#1100 » by dariusl7 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:10 pm

I can't stop thinking if Duhon would have accepted our offer what we would be doing to improve our SG position? I'm glad we signed Pietrus over Duhon but just wondering what was the plan?

Return to Orlando Magic