byeganyo
Junior
And1: 147

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 5.0 

Post#1101 » by byeganyo » Fri May 24, 2024 8:13 pm

Skybox wrote:
byeganyo wrote:
Skybox wrote:
well...IF we're going to get stupid with money to get OG, we might as well go full Paul George stupid

(we're not) :roll:

It's reasonable to expect that OG will be better than PG in 3 years time.
If i had to pick one of them for a 4 years contract it's going to be a tough choice, really. Then again OG injury history is not good.

Noooo. OG is great but he's not in the same category as PG until PG is 2 years retired playing at the YMCA with an extra 25 lbs.

OG is one of the best role players in the NBA, PG is a legit star.

PG is a star and im all aboard about signing him, but lets not pretend age is not a factor, check Al Horford, Chris Paul, Mike Conley and so on now and 3 years ago, the impact lessens even with the current state of medicine.
OG imo is not attainable, but if we are to theorize, he is not the perfect fit, but still make us better and can be a good trading chip too.

We have the cap space now, lets sign the best free agent we can convince to come here in 2024 and roll.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,220

Post#1102 » by eyriq » Fri May 24, 2024 8:32 pm

pepe1991 wrote:

I would say like this: if you replace Pacers with any of 2023-24 teams : Magic, Cavs, 76ers, Knicks i would not, and i bet most nba people would not consider those teams as contender(s). If you have to list top 5 best nba teams, Pacers don't come close.

Draymoond Green pretty much said execlly what most people think
"They got to the conference finals. Somebody had to get there. It’s the east.”

Given Heat & Bucks were striked by injuries, this year it was pretty much "insert random name to Eastern Conference FInals ____Here* ".

Magic in particular had pretty much no injuries ( serious one) whole year long, they had nobody injuried for playoffs, got lucky break of top 2-3 player of opposing team getting hurt, and still lost in first round.
Running back same roster would be one of most idiotic decisions possible.

Embiid, Tatum, and Giannis led teams are going to be favorites for a top 4 seed in the East while those players are in their primes or until other All-NBA first team talent emerges in the East.

Brunson, Mitchell, Haliburton, and Paolo are the next up crew knocking on the door, and maybe another B-Tier Star comes east.

Which is to say, I don't think the Magic are going into this offseason with the objective to build a top 4 team in the East. They need Paolo to continue to develop, Franz to continue to develop, Suggs to continue to develop, and AB and Jett to start getting reps. You see the trend here? Development. Internal growth is going to be the engine, not player acquisition. There is no rush. This isn't a linear path to contention either, we should probably set our goal on being a top 6 seed again and not get our hopes up.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,693

Post#1103 » by pepe1991 » Fri May 24, 2024 8:32 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
Honestly they are using game 7 of the 1st round as a scape goat to their massively failed / flawed mismanagement of players.

Nobody will like me for that line. People will say "play the song" and fine. Wins cure all ailments, I have said that several times this past season.

We might even disagree on what our next move should be. Ya'know what, fine. The point being we both agree that we should be doing more then....nothing. lol.

I was happy to hear that the rumors we were at least window shopping during the trade deadline were true. Whether we decided to keep the band together because nobody wants crap players on their roster, or actually had the epiphany to let the guys play it out well never truly know.

I would say like this: if you replace Pacers with any of 2023-24 teams : Magic, Cavs, 76ers, Knicks i would not, and i bet most nba people would not consider those teams as contender(s). If you have to list top 5 best nba teams, Pacers don't come close.

Given Heat & Bucks were striked by injuries, this year it was pretty much "insert random name to Eastern Conference FInals ____Here* ".

Magic in particular had pretty much no injuries ( serious one) whole year long, they had nobody injuried for playoffs, got lucky break of top 2-3 player of opposing team getting hurt, and still lost in first round.

I don't necessarily agree with this line of thinking.

Generally speaking, no, Indiana is not a top 5 team. But after that you go off the rails.

There are some true bottom rung teams in the east. Fair. In terms of parity, it is as good as it has ever been both east and west full stop.

If you want to say current roster with east and west healthy we are in a playin team next year. Sure. Fine. Ill roll with it. But this idea that Indiana sucks when 4 games separated 7 teams is kinda disingenuous at best and playing to low hanging fruit discussions at worse. Pacers are no 1 offense in many offensive categories outside of points. It's not a stretch to see them where they are.

If anything, a discussion can be had at how good the Celtics are as despite what division they are I think you would be silly to not suggest they are the current clear favorite regardless of division. Similarly speaking, did you expect to see Dallas Vs Min as WCF? I think if you started the year off saying that tons of people would say "Denver would like to have a word". Going into the playoffs OKC was also a big question mark.

"Yeah but...." (insert : injuries, matches, timelines, rookie inexperience)

So? It's the playoffs, and on paper, it was anyones game if they could get past Denver in the West and anyones game if they got past Celtics in the East.

:naaa:

f anything, a discussion can be had at how good the Celtics are as despite what division they are I think you would be silly to not suggest they are the current clear favorite regardless of divisio

Depending who you ask, i'm on a record Celtics are my title favorites for at least past 5 months.
And i went to see, and vast majority of betting houses had Celtics as title favorites from opening day.

. Similarly speaking, did you expect to see Dallas Vs Min as WCF?

Maybe not Wolves, but Dallas was in circle of 10 title favorites. I saw lot of houses having them above Clippers, Heat, 76ers.

Pacers thing and conversation to me is silly.
In first round they got lucky as Giannis didn't play at all, midway in series they got even luckier as Lillard got hurt.

Round two: No Randle, i belive second game Bogdanovic twists ankle and is out for rest of series, at the tail end OG and Brunson got hurt, Mitchell Robinson got hurt as well. Like, literally best 5 Knicks players were either out or playing through injury.

:dontknow: i just think they got lucky and ended up in ECF by accident, kind a like Hawks in 2021 ( i belive? )
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
MagicTownBaller
Veteran
And1: 455

Post#1104 » by MagicTownBaller » Fri May 24, 2024 8:37 pm

Read on Twitter
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)
JoshuaPotter
Veteran
And1: 756

Post#1105 » by JoshuaPotter » Fri May 24, 2024 8:41 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

I don't necessarily agree with this line of thinking.

Generally speaking, no, Indiana is not a top 5 team. But after that you go off the rails.

There are some true bottom rung teams in the east. Fair. In terms of parity, it is as good as it has ever been both east and west full stop.

If you want to say current roster with east and west healthy we are in a playin team next year. Sure. Fine. Ill roll with it. But this idea that Indiana sucks when 4 games separated 7 teams is kinda disingenuous at best and playing to low hanging fruit discussions at worse. Pacers are no 1 offense in many offensive categories outside of points. It's not a stretch to see them where they are.

If anything, a discussion can be had at how good the Celtics are as despite what division they are I think you would be silly to not suggest they are the current clear favorite regardless of division. Similarly speaking, did you expect to see Dallas Vs Min as WCF? I think if you started the year off saying that tons of people would say "Denver would like to have a word". Going into the playoffs OKC was also a big question mark.

"Yeah but...." (insert : injuries, matches, timelines, rookie inexperience)

So? It's the playoffs, and on paper, it was anyones game if they could get past Denver in the West and anyones game if they got past Celtics in the East.

:naaa:

f anything, a discussion can be had at how good the Celtics are as despite what division they are I think you would be silly to not suggest they are the current clear favorite regardless of divisio

Depending who you ask, i'm on a record Celtics are my title favorites for at least past 5 months.
And i went to see, and vast majority of betting houses had Celtics as title favorites from opening day.

. Similarly speaking, did you expect to see Dallas Vs Min as WCF?

Maybe not Wolves, but Dallas was in circle of 10 title favorites. I saw lot of houses having them above Clippers, Heat, 76ers.

Pacers thing and conversation to me is silly.
In first round they got lucky as Giannis didn't play at all, midway in series they got even luckier as Lillard got hurt.

Round two: No Randle, i belive second game Bogdanovic twists ankle and is out for rest of series, at the tail end OG and Brunson got hurt, Mitchell Robinson got hurt as well. Like, literally best 5 Knicks players were either out or playing through injury.

:dontknow: i just think they got lucky and ended up in ECF by accident, kind a like Hawks in 2021 ( i belive? )

I probably shouldn't have directed it to you, as much as I was venting towards the narrative.

A lot of Knicks success is arguably because Randle got injured. How they access that going forward will be interesting.

You are otherwise correct regarding Giannis and Lillard. Heck throw 76rs Embid injury as well.

Record wise, though, the parity is there on both sides of the fence. Injuries are like it or not part of the game now. The key to Jordans historic run was how the cores of that team managed to stay healthy too.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Post#1106 » by cedric76 » Fri May 24, 2024 8:59 pm

MagicTownBaller wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yukk, Trae is the opposite of what we need
Unleash Jett

Suggs,AB,cole
KCP, Jett,harris
Franz,da silva,Houstan
Paolo,JI, moe
WCJ,JI,Goga

Bet with Knightro $50 to charity if AB beat cole
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 6,313

Post#1107 » by RookieStar » Fri May 24, 2024 9:07 pm

Skybox wrote:
byeganyo wrote:
Skybox wrote:
well...IF we're going to get stupid with money to get OG, we might as well go full Paul George stupid

(we're not) :roll:

It's reasonable to expect that OG will be better than PG in 3 years time.
If i had to pick one of them for a 4 years contract it's going to be a tough choice, really. Then again OG injury history is not good.

Noooo. OG is great but he's not in the same category as PG until PG is 2 years retired playing at the YMCA with an extra 25 lbs.

OG is one of the best role players in the NBA, PG is a legit star.

THIS. OG is a straight line driver. He cant dribble arount court the way PG can. He shoots wide open 3s, straight drive and defends. And be injured a lot.

Also, im confused... posters are saying anything from being 6'4 to 6'6. So I dunno OGs real height
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,220

Post#1108 » by eyriq » Fri May 24, 2024 9:35 pm

MagicTownBaller wrote:
Read on Twitter

If that is the cost, pull the trigger.
otownflava21
Sixth Man
And1: 107

Post#1109 » by otownflava21 » Fri May 24, 2024 10:02 pm

eyriq wrote:
MagicTownBaller wrote:
Read on Twitter

Swap Cole with Fultz, and Isaac with Wendell I would do it. We keep this years 1st round pick since we are giving up Wendell. Apparently ATL is shopping Clint to get rid of him.

Then use draft/FA to add a Center.

Get rid of Gary somehow.

Young/Anthony
Suggs/Black
Franz/Ingles
Banchero/Isaac
Goga/Moritz

Deep bench; Jett Howard, Caleb Houston, new Center
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,189

Post#1110 » by fendilim » Fri May 24, 2024 10:12 pm

otownflava21 wrote:
eyriq wrote:
MagicTownBaller wrote:
Read on Twitter

Swap Cole with Fultz, and Isaac with Wendell I would do it. We keep this years 1st round pick since we are giving up Wendell. Apparently ATL is shopping Clint to get rid of him.

Then use draft/FA to add a Center.

Get rid of Gary somehow.

Young/Anthony
Suggs/Black
Franz/Ingles
Banchero/Isaac
Goga/Moritz

Deep bench; Jett Howard, Caleb Houston, new Center
cole over Wendell?
RichCollab
Veteran
And1: 831

Post#1111 » by RichCollab » Fri May 24, 2024 10:30 pm

This is where I’m at.

Monk / Black / Kris Dunn
Suggs / Cole / Caleb
Franz / Jett / Ingles
Paolo / WCJ / Mo Wagner
Claxton / JI / 18th pick
Residual-Heat
Starter
And1: 1,301

Post#1112 » by Residual-Heat » Fri May 24, 2024 11:20 pm

RichCollab wrote:This is where I’m at.

Monk / Black / Kris Dunn
Suggs / Cole / Caleb
Franz / Jett / Ingles
Paolo / WCJ / Mo Wagner
Claxton / JI / 18th pick

Id move WCJ for a future 1st, but otherwise I like it. We probably would need to decline Ingles' option, and try to not take any salary back for WCJ in order to have the cap space to sign both Monk and Claxton.
RichCollab
Veteran
And1: 831

Post#1113 » by RichCollab » Fri May 24, 2024 11:33 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:
RichCollab wrote:This is where I’m at.

Monk / Black / Kris Dunn
Suggs / Cole / Caleb
Franz / Jett / Ingles
Paolo / WCJ / Mo Wagner
Claxton / JI / 18th pick

Id move WCJ for a future 1st, but otherwise I like it. We probably would need to decline Ingles' option, and try to not take any salary back for WCJ in order to have the cap space to sign both Monk and Claxton.

Ingles can walk. I would like to keep WCJ at least another season. He is a versatile big who can knock down 3s.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 25,903

Post#1114 » by Knightro » Sat May 25, 2024 12:15 am

MagicTownBaller wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ultimately, I would do this.

I'd probably try like hell to get Isaac out of the deal since you'd need his defense behind Young, but I'd still do it if this was all it took.
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,803

Post#1115 » by OrlandoNed » Sat May 25, 2024 12:57 am

cedric76 wrote:
MagicTownBaller wrote:
Read on Twitter

We don't need shooting and playmaking???

WTF are you smoking?
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,744

Post#1116 » by orlando_joe » Sat May 25, 2024 1:28 am

OrlandoNed wrote:
cedric76 wrote:
MagicTownBaller wrote:
Read on Twitter

WTF are you smoking?

magic do not need a guy that makes that money needs 25 shots a game and plays no defense
Redick07
Freshman
And1: 12

Post#1117 » by Redick07 » Sat May 25, 2024 2:21 am

orlando_joe wrote:
OrlandoNed wrote:
cedric76 wrote:

WTF are you smoking?

magic do not need a guy that makes that money needs 25 shots a game and plays no defense

A point guard who can shoot, play defense, and pass? Come on, that’s a superstar-level player that we have no chance to get for now.
Even Luka, KI or SGA, they don’t show all of these capabilities. Luka and KI can shoot and pass but poor defense, while SGA shows mediocre 3-point shooting.
If we can get Trae Young with the package mentioned above, we should pull the trigger immediately.
cedric76
RealGM

Post#1118 » by cedric76 » Sat May 25, 2024 6:22 am

OrlandoNed wrote:
cedric76 wrote:
MagicTownBaller wrote:
Read on Twitter

WTF are you smoking?

Go back to NBA2k, Trae is chucker that Can play D and huge usage rate, all things we don't need

Carry on with what you r smoking
Unleash Jett

Suggs,AB,cole
KCP, Jett,harris
Franz,da silva,Houstan
Paolo,JI, moe
WCJ,JI,Goga

cedric76
RealGM

Post#1119 » by cedric76 » Sat May 25, 2024 6:24 am

Redick07 wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:
OrlandoNed wrote:We don't need shooting and playmaking???

WTF are you smoking?

A point guard who can shoot, play defense, and pass? Come on, that’s a superstar-level player that we have no chance to get for now.
Even Luka, KI or SGA, they don’t show all of these capabilities. Luka and KI can shoot and pass but poor defense, while SGA shows mediocre 3-point shooting.
If we can get Trae Young with the package mentioned above, we should pull the trigger immediately.

For our team dejounte is >>>>>>>>>>>> than fool gold Trae
Unleash Jett

Suggs,AB,cole
KCP, Jett,harris
Franz,da silva,Houstan
Paolo,JI, moe
WCJ,JI,Goga

locomagicfan
Senior
And1: 183

Post#1120 » by locomagicfan » Sat May 25, 2024 6:55 am

anyone in their "load management" era is not the right free agent target for this team.

Return to Orlando Magic