ImageImageImageImage

The case of Chet Holmgren for the Magic

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,778

Re: The case of Chet Holmgren for the Magic 

Post#121 » by Bergmaniac » Sat May 21, 2022 5:08 pm

Has Chet been injury prone so far in his career? Or is this all just "He looks too thin to me, Embiid will end his career" wild speculation?
GelbeWand09
Rookie
And1: 1,446

Post#122 » by GelbeWand09 » Sat May 21, 2022 5:18 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
Skybox wrote:Just too much risk of bust, IMO...if I thought his upside was miles ahead, clear #1 - I'd do it. I'm willing to bet on Jabari (or Paolo if FO has a vision) and live with it if Chet is a star elsewhere. I'm not even riding the "fragile/injury" train (although there may be merit)...I just don't think he can compete with the NBA muscle he'll encounter...seems like a great kid, just risk/reward to me..."worst scenario" planning has to be a factor for ORL given some of their recent history...They're on a draft roll-don't blow it.

I also believe that a large portion of his defensive contributions are matched by Isaac (probably even bettered by Isaac's switching/perimeter play)...so, If Isaac is or isn't healthy, that could be a factor in the decision for sure.

Should we draft the guy that is really good at basketball or should we come up with excuses not to? This is so tough. I can see how the Sacramento Kings **** it up as well.

I understand this logic, but if he has a season ending injury during his rookie season nobody can say the red flags weren’t there.

Jonathan Isaac is also good at basketball. You just wouldn’t know because he hasn’t seriously played since 2018-2019.

Do you think fans would give the FO a pass if/when Chet gets seriously injured knowing everything fans have endured waiting for Isaac to see the court? Orlando will be a meme if that happens.

I don’t really care who this FO takes in the draft. The only caveat to that statement will be if they take Chet and he can’t keep healthy in a regular nba season. Why? Because this was the only concern with him as the pick. If the offense remains ****, while the had the opportunity to draft a knockdown shooter, then that’s on them as well.

If they think spending the #1 pick in the draft on Chet is a good investment, then by all means go for it.

But Isaac had already a pre NBA injury history, Chet not.
On the other side many doesnt seem concerned that Jabari can't drive or dribble, despite one of the big reasons Mario flopped was that he coudnt dribble as a wing player. Same reason AG isnt more than a 3&D role player. We wasted already 2 high picks on players with bad ballhandling.
Jabari gonna be a good player even without but it limits his ceiling.
ORL_on_FIRE
Starter
And1: 1,849

Post#123 » by ORL_on_FIRE » Sat May 21, 2022 5:23 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:Has Chet been injury prone so far in his career? Or is this all just "He looks too thin to me, Embiid will end his career" wild speculation?

No he hasn’t. It’s all optics. People think because of his frame he will never be able to put on any sort of “real” weight. So just how long does his body last physically.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,991

Post#124 » by Xatticus » Sat May 21, 2022 5:32 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
Skybox wrote:Just too much risk of bust, IMO...if I thought his upside was miles ahead, clear #1 - I'd do it. I'm willing to bet on Jabari (or Paolo if FO has a vision) and live with it if Chet is a star elsewhere. I'm not even riding the "fragile/injury" train (although there may be merit)...I just don't think he can compete with the NBA muscle he'll encounter...seems like a great kid, just risk/reward to me..."worst scenario" planning has to be a factor for ORL given some of their recent history...They're on a draft roll-don't blow it.

I also believe that a large portion of his defensive contributions are matched by Isaac (probably even bettered by Isaac's switching/perimeter play)...so, If Isaac is or isn't healthy, that could be a factor in the decision for sure.

Should we draft the guy that is really good at basketball or should we come up with excuses not to? This is so tough. I can see how the Sacramento Kings **** it up as well.

I understand this logic, but if he has a season ending injury during his rookie season nobody can say the red flags weren’t there.

Jonathan Isaac is also good at basketball. You just wouldn’t know because he hasn’t seriously played since 2018-2019.

Do you think fans would give the FO a pass if/when Chet gets seriously injured knowing everything fans have endured waiting for Isaac to see the court? Orlando will be a meme if that happens.

I don’t really care who this FO takes in the draft. The only caveat to that statement will be if they take Chet and he can’t keep healthy in a regular nba season. Why? Because this was the only concern with him as the pick. If the offense remains ****, while the had the opportunity to draft a knockdown shooter, then that’s on them as well.

If they think spending the #1 pick in the draft on Chet is a good investment, then by all means go for it.

What red flags? He hasn't been hurt. There are a number of guys in this draft that have been hurt. Griffin missed two years. If someone wants to make the case that Holmgren is more susceptible to injuries, then it has to start with some research into the topic, because it certainly isn't based on his history.

Oden wasn't the skinny guy. Durant was. Zion sure as hell wasn't the skinny guy in his draft. Would people give this front office a pass if Banchero or Smith get hurt in their rookie seasons? Suggs and Anthony were both hurt during their rookie seasons. It's the reality of the sport. We just point to a player's frame as the explanation when they are thin. We don't bother to point it out when someone isn't.

What I keep reading are excuses as to why we shouldn't take Holmgren because he doesn't look enough like what people want their prized asset to look like. He is a much better basketball player than are Banchero or Smith. That's the guy I'm betting on.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,922

Post#125 » by Skybox » Sat May 21, 2022 5:59 pm

Xatticus wrote:

Pretty dramatic as usual...I think we should draft A guy that is really good at basketball, just not the one you want
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,339

Post#126 » by MagicMatic » Sat May 21, 2022 5:59 pm

Xatticus wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
Xatticus wrote:

What red flags? He hasn't been hurt. There are a number of guys in this draft that have been hurt. Griffin missed two years. If someone wants to make the case that Holmgren is more susceptible to injuries, then it has to start with some research into the topic, because it certainly isn't based on his history.

Oden wasn't the skinny guy. Durant was. Zion sure as hell wasn't the skinny guy in his draft. Would people give this front office a pass if Banchero or Smith get hurt in their rookie seasons? Suggs and Anthony were both hurt during their rookie seasons. It's the reality of the sport. We just point to a player's frame as the explanation when they are thin. We don't bother to point it out when someone isn't.

What I keep reading are excuses as to why we shouldn't take Holmgren because he doesn't look enough like what people want their prized asset to look like. He is a much better basketball player than are Banchero or Smith. That's the guy I'm betting on.

Ok. Then the front office should pull the trigger and draft him.

When he gets seriously injured we can revisit this thread.
Sensor
Sophomore
And1: 94

Post#127 » by Sensor » Sat May 21, 2022 6:10 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

(I love Smith)

Just to play devils advocate here, when chet doesn't get injured and goes on to have a successful career, then what? Are we coming back to these dumb threads to point fingers like ha i told you so? Seems like people are so hung up on being "right" rather than trying to see each others point of view and possibly learning a thing or two.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,339

Post#128 » by MagicMatic » Sat May 21, 2022 6:29 pm

Sensor wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
Xatticus wrote:

(I love Smith)

Just to play devils advocate here, when chet doesn't get injured and goes on to have a successful career, then what? Are we coming back to these dumb threads to point fingers like ha i told you so? Seems like people are so hung up on being "right" rather than trying to see each others point of view and possibly learning a thing or two.

Nobody is hung up on being “right”. Like Xatticus said “there is no history of him being injury prone”. I agree.

The issue here is that Chets frame, and lack of weight, is 100% an issue. It’s discussed in every major write up about him as a prospect. To disregard it as an issue (even slightly) is laughable. Jabari and Paolo’s drawbacks as prospects are skill based.

Chet will be in the paint defending bigs and attempting to block shots. His interior defense is a selling feature unlike Ingram and Durant. It’s an issue whether you want to believe it or not.

I’m merely pointing out that Orlando has already had issues with prospects, and their availability due to injuries, for entirety of this front offices tenure.

If they are willing to take that bet, then so be it.
Petre1978
Sixth Man
And1: 389

Post#129 » by Petre1978 » Sat May 21, 2022 6:33 pm

Frame, frame, frame..........
People are obsessed with this........
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,959

Post#130 » by basketballRob » Sat May 21, 2022 6:38 pm

OKC fans are terrified we'll take Jabari.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
ORL_on_FIRE
Starter

Post#131 » by ORL_on_FIRE » Sat May 21, 2022 6:38 pm

Petre1978 wrote:Frame, frame, frame..........

It’s a legitimate concern. At the same time I don’t think anyone’s going to be disappointed if he’s the pick..
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,206

Post#132 » by tiderulz » Sat May 21, 2022 7:09 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:Has Chet been injury prone so far in his career? Or is this all just "He looks too thin to me, Embiid will end his career" wild speculation?

well, he hasnt been playing against bigger people that would punish him on a nightly basis. that changes in the nba
YosemiteSam
Sixth Man
And1: 787

Post#133 » by YosemiteSam » Sat May 21, 2022 7:25 pm

ORL_on_FIRE wrote:

It’s a legitimate concern. At the same time I don’t think anyone’s going to be disappointed if he’s the pick..

The people who have to sell tickets to Magic games will be disappointed if we draft another long goofy looking player with a defensive rep and no go to offense. Put me in the camp of someone who among other reasons just doesn’t want to watch Lurch from the Addams family on my team.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,552

Post#134 » by jezzerinho » Sat May 21, 2022 7:41 pm

YosemiteSam wrote:
ORL_on_FIRE wrote:

The people who have to sell tickets to Magic games will be disappointed if we draft another long goofy looking player with a defensive rep and no go to offense. Put me in the camp of someone who among other reasons just doesn’t want to watch Lurch from the Addams family on my team.

I find this a ridiculous take. A bit pathetic, frankly.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#135 » by basketballRob » Sat May 21, 2022 7:45 pm

jezzerinho wrote:
YosemiteSam wrote:
ORL_on_FIRE wrote:

I get the gist of what he's saying. It's not aesthetically pleasing to see players that are seriously underweight playing sports.

jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,552

Post#136 » by jezzerinho » Sat May 21, 2022 8:01 pm

Aesthetically pleasing? Mkay.
ORL_on_FIRE
Starter

Post#137 » by ORL_on_FIRE » Sat May 21, 2022 8:07 pm

basketballRob wrote:
jezzerinho wrote:
YosemiteSam wrote:

I get the gist of what he's saying. It's not aesthetically pleasing to see players that are seriously underweight playing sports.

At the same time there’s really no great comparisons that capture his size + skill sets on both sides of the floor. That’s why he’s considered a one of a kind prospect.. I’m sure many people find that entertaining and a reason to watch.
Petre1978
Sixth Man
And1: 389

Post#138 » by Petre1978 » Sat May 21, 2022 9:09 pm

jezzerinho wrote:
YosemiteSam wrote:
ORL_on_FIRE wrote:

Really ridiculous.
Wasted time to come to this forum.

I am here since last october and all this here is like Kindergarten.

Das Niveau ist sehr tief hier.
YosemiteSam
Sixth Man
And1: 787

Post#139 » by YosemiteSam » Sat May 21, 2022 9:27 pm

:naaa:
Petre1978 wrote:
jezzerinho wrote:
YosemiteSam wrote:

Really ridiculous.
Wasted time to come to this forum.

I am here since last october and all this here is like Kindergarten.

Das Niveau ist sehr tief hier.

:naaa:
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#140 » by basketballRob » Sat May 21, 2022 9:29 pm

ORL_on_FIRE wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
jezzerinho wrote:

At the same time there’s really no great comparisons that capture his size + skill sets on both sides of the floor. That’s why he’s considered a one of a kind prospect.. I’m sure many people find that entertaining and a reason to watch.
Bol Bol if he stayed healthy. Before injuries he was projected to be drafted between 4-6.

Return to Orlando Magic