2023 Draft Receipts Thread

Moderators: Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, UCF, Knightro, ChosenSavior

fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,189

Re: 2023 Draft Receipts Thread 

Post#121 » by fendilim » Sun Feb 4, 2024 11:40 pm

Still happy with the pick.

I was on the bilal at 11 train before the draft.

Jury is still out on Jett. And we’re trying to win games too. So yeah, still happy with it.
CocoaFan
Junior
And1: 88

Post#122 » by CocoaFan » Mon Feb 5, 2024 12:26 am

basketballRob wrote:I would've probably drafted #6 Black #11 Lively.

I was really high on Keyonte and Cam early, I just had the vibe that the Magic weren't interested.

It's possible that we didn't have Cam's medicals.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app

Read on Reddit that some guy who's father works for the Magic said Whitmore didn't want to play for the Magic. Your guess as good as mine as to how reliable. Also said Gradey Dick really wanted to play for the Magic but they weren't big on him.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 6,313

Post#123 » by RookieStar » Mon Feb 5, 2024 1:59 am

CocoaFan wrote:

I was really high on Keyonte and Cam early, I just had the vibe that the Magic weren't interested.

Read on Reddit that some guy who's father works for the Magic said Whitmore didn't want to play for the Magic. Your guess as good as mine as to how reliable. Also said Gradey Dick really wanted to play for the Magic but they weren't big on him.

Wow cool info.

Hope Gradey doesnt become a Booker though. Itl haunt us
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,252

Post#124 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Mon Feb 5, 2024 2:01 am

CocoaFan wrote:

Probably was the case unless they moved Fultz/Cole. I’m sure AB has found it tough with how he’s been used his rookie year.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,220

Post#125 » by eyriq » Mon Feb 5, 2024 2:12 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=MNByu7kiV31nDHCaUg_yuw&s=19
JoshuaPotter
Veteran
And1: 756

Post#126 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue Feb 6, 2024 5:27 pm

eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=MNByu7kiV31nDHCaUg_yuw&s=19

Relooking at the draft.

Still wanted Keyonte for that 11th, but with what minutes? Seeing what we did to Jett makes more sense.

I like Lively as well, but not mad where we ended up. Goga has helped us keep some age on the roster which was much needed earlier in the year.

The real hard spot for me that I think I will be asking myself is Anthony Black.

- Cason Wallace has done great. A real yowzah.
- Coulibly - don't miss much
- Taylor - seeing our injury history with Isaac, I haven't soured on him, now I kinda wish we had that as a future investment.
- Jarace - Same as Taylor

It will take years before we decide who was the better player overall. Right now, I think it will be Black. Wallace looks great a role and limited minutes.

Edit : Something had to have gone down with Cam Whitmore. Although I was stunned to see him drop by that much.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,079

Post#127 » by The Effect » Tue Feb 6, 2024 5:46 pm

By the time draft day rolled around, not sure who i wanted. I was really hoping for Ausar in the build up for the draft and was hoping someone jumped into the top 5 to push him down, but when that didnt happen, now sure i really had an overwhelming preference for anyone. Definitely liked some guys like Jarace, who i felt could be a sane version of Draymond, Liked Hendricks but didn know where we would find minutes for him. Black seemed like a good pick but felt he was too much of the same as what we already had but taller

i remember really hoping for cam at 11 when he was available or Hawkins\Dick. Lively seemed intriguing but didnt think he was worth a top 11 pick (clearly was wrong about that) and just kind of laughed when it was Jett because of course we would draft another michigan player
Fortune Teller
Junior
And1: 190

Post#128 » by Fortune Teller » Tue Feb 6, 2024 5:56 pm

Weltman's 2023 draft still doesn't make sense to me. He drafted Banchero, Franz and Suggs the previous two years. He needed to add shooting and veteran help around them. And so he used both lottery picks on projects who aren't good enough to crack the rotation of the worst backcourt in the NBA.

If discontent grows in the next few years for Paolo and Franz, we will look back on that draft as a wasted opportunity to improve the team through trade and consolidation of assets.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 6,315

Post#129 » by Skybox » Tue Feb 6, 2024 6:25 pm

With 20/20 hindsight...

Cason/Fultz
Suggs/Cole/Harris
Franz/Ingles/Houstan
Paolo/Isaac/Okeke
Lively/WCJ/M. Wagner
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,242

Post#130 » by zaymon » Tue Feb 6, 2024 8:06 pm

Fortune Teller wrote:Weltman's 2023 draft still doesn't make sense to me. He drafted Banchero, Franz and Suggs the previous two years. He needed to add shooting (Jett Howard) and veteran(Joe Ingles)( help around them. And so he used both lottery picks on projects who aren't good enough to crack the rotation(9 game winning streak with Black) of the worst backcourt in the NBA.

If discontent grows in the next few years for Paolo and Franz, we will look back on that draft as a wasted opportunity to improve the team through trade and consolidation of assets.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,693

Post#131 » by pepe1991 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 11:33 am

zaymon wrote:
Fortune Teller wrote:Weltman's 2023 draft still doesn't make sense to me. He drafted Banchero, Franz and Suggs the previous two years. He needed to add shooting (Jett Howard) and veteran(Joe Ingles)( help around them. And so he used both lottery picks on projects who aren't good enough to crack the rotation(9 game winning streak with Black) of the worst backcourt in the NBA.

Come on man.

Jett Howard is lottery pick that spent whole season in G league.
Anthony Black averaged 4-2-1 during 9 games winning streak
Ingles is good player for value, but 36 and maybe( probably? ) goner from basketball in 2 months.

Jett Howard pick made no sense in sense of having no PT to play him.
Black's skillset is polar opposite of what team needs are.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#132 » by zaymon » Wed Feb 7, 2024 12:11 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
zaymon wrote:

Come on man.

Ingles is good player for value, but 36 and maybe( probably? ) goner from basketball in 2 months.

Draft is not used to solve problems in half a year. The question was if our 2023 draft made sense and it did. Ingles was short term fix.
I am not sure what is your argument. Spurs draft didnt make sense becouse they want to win championship and they are even worse with Wemby this year ?
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#133 » by pepe1991 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 12:32 pm

zaymon wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
zaymon wrote:

Come on man.

Draft is not used to solve problems in half a year. The question was if our 2023 draft made sense and it did. Ingles was short term fix.
I am not sure what is your argument. Spurs draft didnt make sense becouse they want to win championship and they are even worse with Wemby this year ?

But it didn't.
Black can't shoot and is added to worst shooting team in a league.

Jett Howard is 99,999% nba SF and is added to a roster who has starting level SF who plays 30+ min a game.

Since Black can't play PG, he plays SF, so by default your two lottery picks compete for same position- backup SF.

It's not like anybody expects some groundbreaking changes next year that will impact our draft selection in major way next year:

Black still won't be able to shoot nor run PG
Paolo & Franz will probably just average even more min, ,making backup SF position even less important ( hence, now it's Ingles & Houstan who fill it ).

So what's the masterplan ? You have two lottery picks, one doesn't have clear path toward serious rotation min, other doesn't even have clear path toward rotation. And you drafted 11th in lottery to play him 10 min a game next year, after not playing him at all in year one? Amazing. Explain to me how is that better option than simply not trading pick- for player who can play right away and is worth something on court?

As more years & time passes by, less value your lottery selected player will have. So Jett Howard, if he isn't in rotation by as early as next year, will just devalue as asset . Case and point- look how nobody is making pitch to get James Bouknight, despite fact he dominates G league when he plays.
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#134 » by zaymon » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:20 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
zaymon wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Come on man.

But it didn't.
Black can't shoot and is added to worst shooting team in a league.

Jett Howard is 99,999% nba SF and is added to a roster who has starting level SF who plays 30+ min a game.

Since Black can't play PG, he plays SF, so by default your two lottery picks compete for same position- backup SF.

It's not like anybody expects some groundbreaking changes next year that will impact our draft selection in major way next year:

Black still won't be able to shoot nor run PG
Paolo & Franz will probably just average even more min, ,making backup SF position even less important ( hence, now it's Ingles & Houstan who fill it ).

So what's the masterplan ? You have two lottery picks, one doesn't have clear path toward serious rotation min, other doesn't even have clear path toward rotation. And you drafted 11th in lottery to play him 10 min a game next year, after not playing him at all in year one? Amazing. Explain to me how is that better option than simply not trading pick- for player who can play right away and is worth something on court?

Like i said, we didnt draft them to fix our problems this year. If they did, Howard would be playing, especially with all the injuries.
Howard is a big guard. He was guard in college and he will be playing guard for us. He will play some forward minutes, more when he gets stronger but not now and not with Paolo and Franz(although Howard/Wagner/Banchero frontcourt could be lethal)
Black is very mobile for a 6'7. I like him a lot. He can fit on every team. He is not a bust, not with his level of defense at his size. I like him more than Suggs.
Trade makes sense only if there is a good target ?
Who did we really miss that we had a shot at ? DM ? Maybe, but i think trading for him last year would be a mistake
VFX
RealGM
And1: 13,880

Post#135 » by VFX » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:42 pm

Skybox wrote:With 20/20 hindsight...

Cason/Fultz
Suggs/Cole/Harris
Franz/Ingles/Houstan
Paolo/Isaac/Okeke
Lively/WCJ/M. Wagner

Too bad.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,183

Post#136 » by p0peye » Wed Feb 7, 2024 9:01 pm

Cason Wallace was a guy I liked. Damn.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,210

Post#137 » by OrlChamps2030 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 10:33 pm

p0peye wrote:Cason Wallace was a guy I liked. Damn.

I really liked Wallace at 11

Seeing OKC trade up from 12 to 10.. you already knew who they were going to pick
Fortune Teller
Junior
And1: 190

Post#138 » by Fortune Teller » Wed Feb 7, 2024 10:56 pm

When in doubt, just draft the Kentucky guard. It works way more than it doesn't.
VFX
RealGM
And1: 13,880

Post#139 » by VFX » Wed Feb 7, 2024 11:04 pm

I mean.. I don’t need to go digging through the draft threads. I liked Cason, Bufkin, and Lively.

I did like Black too though, so I didn’t hate the pick.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#140 » by pepe1991 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:11 am

MagicMatic wrote:I mean.. I don’t need to go digging through the draft threads. I liked Cason, Bufkin, and Lively.

I did like Black too though, so I didn’t hate the pick.

Black was never a problem as prospect. Problem is drafting him to a team where everybody else have similar weaknesses.

Return to Orlando Magic