ImageImageImageImage

NBA Playoffs Thread (non-Magic games discussion)

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,580

Re: NBA Playoffs Thread (non-Magic games discussion) 

Post#1701 » by DiplomaticMagic » Sun May 19, 2024 2:49 am

I wanted Lively with our #11 pick....
Trade for Jarret Allen
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,647

Post#1702 » by eyriq » Sun May 19, 2024 2:52 am

Game 6 was epic
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,960

Post#1703 » by RookieStar » Sun May 19, 2024 4:03 am

Wow what a game!!!

SGA will be having nightmares with that foul...
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1704 » by RookieStar » Sun May 19, 2024 4:03 am

Lol Lively outplyaed Chet? And they are both rookies but Chet had 1 yr of NBA conditioning...
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,439

Post#1705 » by pepe1991 » Sun May 19, 2024 7:15 am

RookieStar wrote:Lol Lively outplyaed Chet? And they are both rookies but Chet had 1 yr of NBA conditioning...

Just rewatched a game, and my God that was crazy game, i was rooting for Dallas, don't ask why, have no clue.

Livley was ball of energy, Dallas had 14 offensive rebounds, OKC 7. Game could have easly went in lobsided OKC win if they controled 3rd quater bit better.

As for Livley vs Chet, i thought Chet's defense was amazing whole series, in this one he prevented Luka and Kyrie from going to a hoop , but that overhelp on weak side always gave Livley too much space, and that's especially problem for OKC given they have no backup C nor taller PF.
Chet's problem is that his 3 point shot stopped working in playoffs. He was left wide open in multiple situations and just bricked or refused to shoot.

At the end of a day you simply can't have 47-31 rebounds disparity and .

Oh and SGA was awesome. OKC will be fine, but they need some adjustments for playoffs, having another funcional big imo, should be priority now.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1706 » by RookieStar » Sun May 19, 2024 7:55 am

pepe1991 wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Lol Lively outplyaed Chet? And they are both rookies but Chet had 1 yr of NBA conditioning...

Just rewatched a game, and my God that was crazy game, i was rooting for Dallas, don't ask why, have no clue.

Livley was ball of energy, Dallas had 14 offensive rebounds, OKC 7. Game could have easly went in lobsided OKC win if they controled 3rd quater bit better.

As for Livley vs Chet, i thought Chet's defense was amazing whole series, in this one he prevented Luka and Kyrie from going to a hoop , but that overhelp on weak side always gave Livley too much space, and that's especially problem for OKC given they have no backup C nor taller PF.
Chet's problem is that his 3 point shot stopped working in playoffs. He was left wide open in multiple situations and just bricked or refused to shoot.

Oh and SGA was awesome. OKC will be fine, but they need some adjustments for playoffs, having another funcional big imo, should be priority now.

I too was cheering for DAL. In the POs, if you are not a reliable 3pt shooter they will really just leave you open.

Giddy was unplayable, OKC was too small, Chet was getting beat up by fellow skinny pogo-sticks...
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1707 » by pepe1991 » Sun May 19, 2024 9:47 am

RookieStar wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

I too was cheering for DAL. In the POs, if you are not a reliable 3pt shooter they will really just leave you open.

Giddy was unplayable, OKC was too small, Chet was getting beat up by fellow skinny pogo-sticks...

In first round Giddey was fine, actually he was good. Than Dallas started picking him apart in pick&roll.

I'm really happy for PJ Washington, he is one of players i liked when he was rookie, but nobody cared because he was on Hornets.

And i have irrational love for Jalen Williams, maybe because i belive he is exect player that would solve all Magic players, but man i just love to watch that guy play.
byeganyo
Junior
And1: 138

Post#1708 » by byeganyo » Sun May 19, 2024 10:36 am

pepe1991 wrote:

Some games Chet played very good defense, i dont think this was one of them. Of course things got even worse when he got in foul trouble, because ock had no one to replace him. Anyway, good player, but comparing their first playoff experience im ok we picked Paolo over him.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1709 » by pepe1991 » Sun May 19, 2024 10:48 am

byeganyo wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

Some games Chet played very good defense, i dont think this was one of them. Of course things got even worse when he got in foul trouble, because ock had no one to replace him. Anyway, good player, but comparing their first playoff experience im ok we picked Paolo over him.

Chet is like Mobley, they probably won't fill stat sheet but will patch so many defensive issues that box score does not detect.
We needed 1# on offense so Banchero was better fit for us, same with OKC, they have SGA, Holmgren is perfect player for them.

It will be interesting to see how much bigger, stronger he can get. His frame is skeleton :lol:
byeganyo
Junior
And1: 138

Post#1710 » by byeganyo » Sun May 19, 2024 11:06 am

pepe1991 wrote:
byeganyo wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

Chet is like Mobley, they probably won't fill stat sheet but will patch so many defensive issues that box score does not detect.
We needed 1# on offense so Banchero was better fit for us, same with OKC, they have SGA, Holmgren is perfect player for them.

It will be interesting to see how much bigger, stronger he can get. His frame is skeleton :lol:

He is 22, he can and will become bigger i guess, but he is not a teen, so maybe wont change his frame drastically, at this point Giannis already has become bigger, plus i dont know if it's going to be good for chet to become massive, it may break him.
As for his skills, of course a rookie is expected to improve and he will, i am just annoyed by GB that spend the whole year pimping him over Paolo.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,227

Post#1711 » by tiderulz » Sun May 19, 2024 12:46 pm

pepe1991 wrote:

i didnt feel the same. granted, i didnt go back and watch every minute, but when i was watching, Chet didnt seem to deter anyone from going to the basket. and as was mentioned during his draft, he is very light and has a problem keeping other teams off the glass. and he is very robotic on offense, no post moves beyond a lob dunk to him. and every time he tried to dribble and make any time of move, it looked like a baby giraffe trying to walk.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 6,021

Post#1712 » by Skybox » Sun May 19, 2024 12:54 pm

I’ve been pulling for DAL…I love how they have taken bold steps with risks to build around their one-man core. I wanted Gafford badly and they grabbed him for a forgettable pick, despite having a bigger, more promising version in Lively. Now they have two of what we lack. They threw another forgettable pick for PJ Washington, who carried them at times, in playoff games. Obviously, taking Kyrie in and hoping he and Luka would work was a huge risk. Just a great aggressive construction of a team that fits.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,976

Post#1713 » by basketballRob » Sun May 19, 2024 1:15 pm

Chet played every game this season, and with his body, he should probably take a few off during the year. I wouldn't be surprised seeing him average 23 and 12 for the first few months of next season.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,303

Post#1714 » by Optimus_Steel » Sun May 19, 2024 1:35 pm

Felt like Dallas caught a break on that foul. Dallas really had nothing going that possession, Doncic tried but couldn’t muster anything and passed it up, but foul was called correctly.

OKCs lack of size and offensive versatility was exposed. They are very small. Giddey became unplayable. Spam 3s work great in the regular season but teams can take things away in the POs and they had no other counter aside of SGA. They do have plenty of assets to make moves.
aka: prorl
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 6,021

Post#1715 » by Skybox » Sun May 19, 2024 2:15 pm

Could Lively’s emergence make Gafford gettable? They have 2 of what we need…wonder if there’s a swap that makes sense?

Would 2 late frps (ORL 26 lottery protected & DEN 25) get them something back in their stash. Do they care?

Jett Howard to be their long-term, less expensive THJ replacemrnt?

I think Cuban keeps the group together…2 superstar- level guys and loads of strong role players…well -done
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1716 » by pepe1991 » Sun May 19, 2024 3:21 pm

tiderulz wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

i didnt feel the same. granted, i didnt go back and watch every minute, but when i was watching, Chet didnt seem to deter anyone from going to the basket. and as was mentioned during his draft, he is very light and has a problem keeping other teams off the glass. and he is very robotic on offense, no post moves beyond a lob dunk to him. and every time he tried to dribble and make any time of move, it looked like a baby giraffe trying to walk.

I don't have exect stats who guarded who, but Irving shot 3-11 inside 10 feet, Luka only attemped 3 shots inside 5 feet.

If you track down his impact numbers, he is 3rd in most contested shots at rim, and second best rim protector by same data, that translates to fact that OKC allowed 7th fewest points in paint.

I just think OKC lacks serious size , when you look at adjustments they made for Dallas, they had starting 5 of: 6'3, 6'4, 6'6 and 6'5 guys along Holmgren, you really can't bank on notion that Jalen williams is your "PF" at 6'5 after guy spent year playing defacto SG.

Victor kind a changed rookie "normal", there are only 3 rookies with 180 blocks in past 30 years: Victor, Chet and Tim Duncan
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1717 » by pepe1991 » Sun May 19, 2024 3:26 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:Felt like Dallas caught a break on that foul. Dallas really had nothing going that possession, Doncic tried but couldn’t muster anything and passed it up, but foul was called correctly.

OKCs lack of size and offensive versatility was exposed. They are very small. Giddey became unplayable. Spam 3s work great in the regular season but teams can take things away in the POs and they had no other counter aside of SGA. They do have plenty of assets to make moves.

Dallas almost f*** up game's end because they had no challenge. First there was that play in last 2-3 min when ball bounced off OKC player but refs gave ball to OKC.
Than there was that on inbound foul that gave OKC FT and ball where it seems like Dort was moving screen and initiated most contact.

And at the end SGA did his best to not foul, but PJ went up in shooting motion after SGA's hand slipped on his elbow ( pretty easy call by refs).

I have to give props to Kidd for telling PJ to miss intentionally last shot. That's some OG stuff. Takes like 0,8 sec to secure rebound and prevent player from miracle shot
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 745

Post#1718 » by RichCollab » Sun May 19, 2024 3:39 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:Felt like Dallas caught a break on that foul. Dallas really had nothing going that possession, Doncic tried but couldn’t muster anything and passed it up, but foul was called correctly.

Dallas almost f*** up game's end because they had no challenge. First there was that play in last 2-3 min when ball bounced off OKC player but refs gave ball to OKC.
Than there was that on inbound foul that gave OKC FT and ball where it seems like Dort was moving screen and initiated most contact.

And at the end SGA did his best to not foul, but PJ went up in shooting motion after SGA's hand slipped on his elbow ( pretty easy call by refs).

I have to give props to Kidd for telling PJ to miss intentionally last shot. That's some OG stuff. Takes like 0,8 sec to secure rebound and prevent player from miracle shot

The contact was pretty obscene from a different video angle.

It was a foul and don’t see how they don’t call it.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,401

Post#1719 » by tooler » Sun May 19, 2024 3:53 pm

It’s interesting that in elimination games, the Magic blew an 18 point lead and OKC blew a 17 point lead. Can Indiana pull off the young team blown lead trifecta?
Message Boar
Analyst
And1: 1,962

Post#1720 » by Message Boar » Sun May 19, 2024 8:09 pm

Man, Pacers-Knicks looks like it may not even be competitive. Bummer.

Return to Orlando Magic