ImageImageImageImage

Magic to sign C.J. Watson to an offer sheet.

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 6,007

Re: Magic to sign C.J. Watson to an offer sheet. 

Post#181 » by Nyce_1 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:23 pm

the rest of Dooling's TPE expires July 22nd. If we intend to use it, look for "breaking news" within the next 2 days.

Let the countdown being.....

Use the rest of our Dooling TPE to S&T for Watson. Then sign Barnes for the rest of our MLE. With Cle going after Moon, don't see anyone else in the play for Barnes. Maybe Dallas?

Jameer/Watson/AJ
Vince/Pietrus/Redic
Shard/Barnes/Pietrus
Bass/Anderson/Gortat
Dwight/Gortat/vet min

invite Hendrix, Powell, & Robinson to training camp and call it a summer. Go on vacation.
delsol650
Sixth Man
And1: 61

Post#182 » by delsol650 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:54 pm

LESS DO THIS :rock: :rocking: :onfire: LOL just eager to get rid of those 2 so that we have more PT time for our younger picks.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,662

Post#183 » by eyriq » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:05 pm

Good find guys about the Dooling TPE still having some room left. If we do trade for Watson how ironic would it be that we turn Dooling into two young and promising contributors, lol.
NickAnderson
General Manager
And1: 2,922

Post#184 » by NickAnderson » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:42 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:the rest of Dooling's TPE expires July 22nd. If we intend to use it, look for "breaking news" within the next 2 days.

Let the countdown being.....

Use the rest of our Dooling TPE to S&T for Watson. Then sign Barnes for the rest of our MLE. With Cle going after Moon, don't see anyone else in the play for Barnes. Maybe Dallas?

Jameer/Watson/AJ
Vince/Pietrus/Redic
Shard/Barnes/Pietrus
Bass/Anderson/Gortat
Dwight/Gortat/vet min

invite Hendrix, Powell, & Robinson to training camp and call it a summer. Go on vacation.

I like that idea of adding Barnes and Watson.
DontPushMe
Bench Warmer
And1: 21

Post#185 » by DontPushMe » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:56 pm

why would they s&t him for a trade exception? unless they were able to package a contract they didnt want with him theres no point

unless we did a separate trade at the same time where we sold them a draft pick for like $5 or something like that
You know the boy posts on realgm. The boy definitly posts on realgm.
magee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,440

Post#186 » by magee » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:50 pm

Watson is a good shooter. Decent overall offensive player. But he had trouble setting up people in Golden State. The overall play for the team was a little erratic because of injuries and whatnot. But he earned his contract. He can't D up for ****, but he's worth eight minutes or so.
gofret
Bench Warmer
And1: 2

Post#187 » by gofret » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:58 pm

Any details about contract? min?
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,054

Post#188 » by The Effect » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:32 pm

RawLewD12 wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:Golden State Warriors are the Magic affiliate d-league team

LMAOOOOO... so are you saying if we send them JJ he will improve and we can get him back for nothing?

:lol: those two posts just made my day!
Horcy
Lead Assistant
And1: 362

Post#189 » by Horcy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:46 pm

Any news of Watson boys?
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 958

Post#190 » by Devin 1L » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:59 am

DontPushMe wrote:why would they s&t him for a trade exception? unless they were able to package a contract they didnt want with him theres no point

unless we did a separate trade at the same time where we sold them a draft pick for like $5 or something like that

Well, if they had no intention to match, then anything they can possibly get out of it would just be a bonus.

So stuff like:

(a) Small exception for them going forward.
(b) Good relations with another team/agent/player.
(c) As you alluded to -- a possible second rounder, or potential (protected) second rounder, or a little cash.
minimoe
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#191 » by minimoe » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:25 am

did anyone other then fanhouse report this? are they worth anything? I have heard or seen nothing since. so I am starting to wonder
There will be life after Dwight.

doct3r dr3
RealGM
And1: 2,517

Post#192 » by doct3r dr3 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:29 am

minimoe wrote:did anyone other then fanhouse report this? are they worth anything? I have heard or seen nothing since. so I am starting to wonder

Well, O-sen had a little followup on it:

Orlando General Manager Otis Smith declined to comment about Watson or any other potential free-agent signings when reached by phone Saturday by the Orlando Sentinel.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/o ... 5874.story

Which is kind of strange; normally, if something was going down, Otis would just flatly deny that anything was going down. Declining to comment is a new one...
BadMofoPimp wrote:Reached for a 2nd round talent in Nicholson.
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#193 » by magicfan4life05 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:31 am

doct3r dr3 wrote:
minimoe wrote:did anyone other then fanhouse report this? are they worth anything? I have heard or seen nothing since. so I am starting to wonder

Well, O-sen had a little followup on it:

Orlando General Manager Otis Smith declined to comment about Watson or any other potential free-agent signings when reached by phone Saturday by the Orlando Sentinel.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/o ... 5874.story

Which is kind of strange; normally, if something was going down, Otis would just flatly deny that anything was going down. Declining to comment is a new one...

:lol:
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
hawkcobra2003
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#194 » by hawkcobra2003 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:37 am

Most likely the TPE is going to Barnes since CJ/Duhon issue isn't getting solved quickly enough. I am at least glad he made the call so it didn't go to waste.
Versubio
Veteran
And1: 209

Post#195 » by Versubio » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:42 am

The latest on Watson from a California newspaper, posted tonight at 8:06 PM.

Warriors third-year point guard C.J. Watson is close to signing an offer sheet with the Orlando Magic, according to a source close to negotiations.

Representatives for Watson — who already has turned down a one-year, $2.3 million offer from the Philadelphia 76ers — spent Monday trying to hammer out a deal with the Magic. Watson is hoping for a three-year deal.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/warriors/ci_12879691
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,580

Post#196 » by DiplomaticMagic » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:46 am

^ Good find

But if we have Barnes, only way we acquire Watson is thru trade.
Trade for Jarret Allen
Versubio
Veteran
And1: 209

Post#197 » by Versubio » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:48 am

DiplomaticMagic wrote:^ Good find

But if we have Barnes, only way we acquire Watson is thru trade.

Thanks. As long as we get both I'm happy! :D
Sweet J
Rookie
And1: 99

Post#198 » by Sweet J » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:17 am

Would be very pleased if we could add both Barnes and CJ Watson without trading away any of our other pieces.
PG K. Lowry, T. Lawson
SG G. Hill, E. Gordon
SF K. Thompson, O. Porter
PF L. Aldridge, T. Thompson
C A. Jefferson, J. Noah
UT T. Burke, R. Hood
BN A. Len, J. Meeks, C. Budinger
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,108

Post#199 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:40 am

Didn't I say you guys had some Dooling money?

I think this was from the same piece cited above:

Warriors general manager Larry Riley has said all along he's a fan of Watson, who went from NBA Development League call-up to reliable backup in less than two full seasons. Before the draft, Riley said whichever point guard Golden State brought in would have to beat out Watson.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_12879691

$2.3 mil declined already. Like I said, I don't think C.J.'s agent is going to sign off on less than $2 mil. Multi-year helps.

Second rounders are useless as a commodity in trades... they are included because something has to go the other way, not because they add any value (unless they're among the first couple picks in the 2nd). Even first round picks, at the end of the draft, have little value - they are routinely bought and sold for $2-3 mil.

Either the Magic sign C.J. at a level that the Warriors would be wary of matching, or something of value has to come back to the Warriors... maybe a 3rd team could send a veteran backup PF the Warriors' way? Or a 1st from Orlando (next year's would be best, for Orlando). Or C.J. sticks with the Warriors... just reporting reality... I like C.J. fine as a backup PG but either way it's not going to make or break either franchise (unless someone's starting PG goes down again).
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,580

Post#200 » by DiplomaticMagic » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:41 am

Twinkie defense wrote:Didn't I say you guys had some Dooling money?

I think this was from the same piece cited above:

Warriors general manager Larry Riley has said all along he's a fan of Watson, who went from NBA Development League call-up to reliable backup in less than two full seasons. Before the draft, Riley said whichever point guard Golden State brought in would have to beat out Watson.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_12879691

$2.3 mil declined already. Like I said, I don't think C.J.'s agent is going to sign off on less than $2 mil. Multi-year helps.

Second rounders are useless as a commodity in trades... they are included because something has to go the other way, not because they add any value (unless they're among the first couple picks in the 2nd). Even first round picks, at the end of the draft, have little value - they are routinely bought and sold for $2-3 mil.

Either the Magic sign C.J. at a level that the Warriors would be wary of matching, or something of value has to come back to the Warriors... maybe a 3rd team could send a veteran backup PF the Warriors' way? Or a 1st from Orlando (next year's would be best, for Orlando). Or C.J. sticks with the Warriors... just reporting reality... I like C.J. fine as a backup PG but either way it's not going to make or break either franchise (unless someone's starting PG goes down again).

If Barnes signs with us, we won't be signing him. We will have to trade for him.
Trade for Jarret Allen

Return to Orlando Magic