ImageImageImageImage

BREAKING NEWS- Magic & Clifford agree to part ways

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

pinoynurse
Bench Warmer
And1: 362

Re: BREAKING NEWS- Magic & Clifford agree to part ways 

Post#21 » by pinoynurse » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:11 pm

Honeslty im gonna miss him, loved his interviews. Always candid and thoughtful. Held people accountable in a way that didnt cause tension among players. Good coach even better person. Goodluck coach! Stay healthy and i wish for your continued success!
From strength, learn gentleness. Through gentleness, strength will prevail.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#22 » by The Effect » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:12 pm

PLEASE let it be Juwan Howard! :pray:
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,666

Post#23 » by Skin » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:14 pm

JF5 wrote:I'm assuming it's Terry Stotts that's going to be the next Coach... As a developmental one he's pretty damn good (IMO)

What makes him good?
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,144

Post#24 » by The Real Dalic » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:16 pm

Time to look for the new scapegoat. I liked Clifford a lot. Sucks he left. But it seems to be mutual. I'm sure he didn't want to be a part of another rebuild teaching kids.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,336

Post#25 » by MagicMatic » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:17 pm

Seems like it’s Stotts. The timing couldn’t be more obvious.
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 12,965

Post#26 » by ChosenSavior » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:17 pm

Once we picked our direction to rebuild, it was inevitable that Cliff would not stay here. You could see it in his body language that he was upset that the Magic hit the reset button and forced him to focus more on development than winning games.

I personally am thrilled that this happened and excited to see who the Magic decide to go with. Definitely need to nail this hire no doubt but I would really like the Magic to take a risk and find a coach that the team can grow with. If it is a retread, then I would not be opposed to Terry Stotts. He does have his warts but I like him a lot better than Clifford. He is being made a scapegoat for a extremely flawed Portland team.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,666

Post#27 » by Skin » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:27 pm

Glorious news! So many good candidates. Let's not muck this up
pinoynurse
Bench Warmer
And1: 362

Post#28 » by pinoynurse » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:30 pm

I doubt stotts will come here. No established coach wants to enter a potential long rebuild.

Probably will get some new young coach who is willing to go through a lot of losing

Personally if i we are going to experiment i would like to pry someone from spos staff. Spo to me has developed into one of the best coaches in the nba. And hopefully they can bring that heat culture over here
From strength, learn gentleness. Through gentleness, strength will prevail.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,945

Post#29 » by JF5 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:32 pm

Skin wrote:
JF5 wrote:I'm assuming it's Terry Stotts that's going to be the next Coach... As a developmental one he's pretty damn good (IMO)

What makes him good?

Lillard/McCollum/Harris Jr/LMA (Stotts raised his game) all come to mind. His XOs/Strategy leaves much to be desired. But letting players be themselves in a system where they're not being undercut I feel like he's good at that (IMO)
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,144

Post#30 » by The Real Dalic » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:33 pm

ChosenSavior wrote:Once we picked our direction to rebuild, it was inevitable that Cliff would not stay here. You could see it in his body language that he was upset that the Magic hit the reset button and forced him to focus more on development than winning games.

I personally am thrilled that this happened and excited to see who the Magic decide to go with. Definitely need to nail this hire no doubt but I would really like the Magic to take a risk and find a coach that the team can grow with. If it is a retread, then I would not be opposed to Terry Stotts. He does have his warts but I like him a lot better than Clifford. He is being made a scapegoat for a extremely flawed Portland team.

This sounds familiar.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#31 » by ChosenSavior » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:35 pm

This probably won't happen and I'm not even sure if he wants to coach at the next level but I would be excited if Penny Hardaway wanted to coach here.
The Effect

Post#32 » by The Effect » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:36 pm

pinoynurse wrote:I doubt stotts will come here. No established coach wants to enter a potential long rebuild.

Probably will get some new young coach who is willing to go through a lot of losing

Personally if i we are going to experiment i would like to pry someone from spos staff. Spo to me has developed into one of the best coaches in the nba. And hopefully they can bring that heat culture over here

Juwan Howard was on spo's staff for a few years and then left a couple years ago to coach michigan and this season won national coach of the year.....Just sayin :lol:
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#33 » by magicman123 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:38 pm

It’s time for lil penny to come home
Bakomagic
Bench Warmer
And1: 900

Post#34 » by Bakomagic » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:38 pm

How bout Penny Hardaway ?

Is it too soon for him to jump up to the NBA Level ?

He has more coaching experience than Chauncey right.

Maybe too risky when there are some solid m/safer options like Stotts/Joerger/Atkinson.
Rockzin4
Junior
And1: 182

Post#35 » by Rockzin4 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:39 pm

I’ll miss him. Good coach but not the right situation. Good thing is he have options. Hopefully we don’t screw this up.

For some reason Stotts is giving me the same feeling as the Biyombo debacle. A simple and lazy addition. hopefully I’m wrong if we hire him and he changes the franchise for the better
Bakomagic
Bench Warmer
And1: 900

Post#36 » by Bakomagic » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:39 pm

Bakomagic wrote:How bout Penny Hardaway ?

Is it too soon for him to jump up to the NBA Level ?

He has more coaching experience than Chauncey right?

Maybe too risky when there are some solid m/safer options like Stotts/Joerger/Atkinson.

Forgot to mention that I appreciate Coach Cliff bringing the Magic back to the playoffs, if it hadn’t been for injuries we may have been a team competing at a Knocks/Hawks level imo.

But it didn’t work out and this change is needed imo.
The Effect

Post#37 » by The Effect » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:39 pm

ChosenSavior wrote:This probably won't happen and I'm not even sure if he wants to coach at the next level but I would be excited if Penny Hardaway wanted to coach here.

If this happened, i wonder if they would try to trade with the warriors for Pennys top recruit, Wiseman

Also Penny and MIke Miller were the coaches who prepared RJ Hampton for the draft, so im sure he would be thrilled about getting penny back in orlando

PS, Penny is still have favorite player of all time and i would love for him to take over this team
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 600

Post#38 » by MasterGMer » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:40 pm

Penny Hardaway hasn't proved himself to be a good HC yet. He is a good recruiter for sure but not coaching.

Maybe guys like Jeff Van Gundy?
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#39 » by ChosenSavior » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:40 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:
ChosenSavior wrote:Once we picked our direction to rebuild, it was inevitable that Cliff would not stay here. You could see it in his body language that he was upset that the Magic hit the reset button and forced him to focus more on development than winning games.

This sounds familiar.

Yeah I can see that. Our team was even more flawed than Portland. I also don't feel that Clifford is this amazing coach that is being held back due to the confines of our previous roster. The move made sense for both parties.

Looking where our roster is at now, I don't think the Magic go with Stotts anyways.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,954

Post#40 » by Rainwater » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:42 pm

Great post. Although maybe not Stotts as he is too established, I completely agree the magic need a young coach that they can grow with. A young team needs a young coach. Someone like Penny, Howard, or Billups would be amazing.

Return to Orlando Magic