ImageImageImageImage

Magic to sign C.J. Watson to an offer sheet.

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

jamesgrenard
Rookie
And1: 91

Re: Magic to sign C.J. Watson to an offer sheet. 

Post#241 » by jamesgrenard » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:46 pm

Sign Watson!
St. Louis Cardinals
San Francisco 49ers
Orlando Magic
St. Louis Blues
Missouri Tigers
OMagic1989
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#242 » by OMagic1989 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:06 pm

Where is Swish he was supposed to interview CJ today and ask him all these questions.

No one seems to know what we sign Barnes for. If it is vet min for a 2 year deal with player out after one then we could still get CJ straight up. Otherwise we will have to do a S&T and get creative if this is where he wants to still go.
Magic fan since Inaugural 89 season.
delsol650
Sixth Man
And1: 61

Post#243 » by delsol650 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:26 pm

Dubs have no need for JJ, we have enough under 6'6" chuckers here. LOL
ProfX
Starter
And1: 24

Post#244 » by ProfX » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:31 pm

I was thinking of a JJ for Dooling trade. Might benefit both teams.
out of difficulty comes opportunity.
Swish14
Junior
And1: 0

Post#245 » by Swish14 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:47 pm

OMagic1989 wrote:Where is Swish he was supposed to interview CJ today and ask him all these questions.

No one seems to know what we sign Barnes for. If it is vet min for a 2 year deal with player out after one then we could still get CJ straight up. Otherwise we will have to do a S&T and get creative if this is where he wants to still go.

The interview is tonight around 10 ET (he's in Vegas so the time difference screwed things up).
Horcy
Lead Assistant
And1: 362

Post#246 » by Horcy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:11 pm

ProfX wrote:Well the problem is do we have anymore room under the salary cap to sign him. Even though RDV has opened up the wallet we still have NBA restrictions to deal with. While Barnes contract hasn't been released I imagine it ate up the rest of the MLE. We have the TPE from Dooling that expires tommorrow, but Golden State would have to be willing to do that. JJ could be moved and honestly with as stacked as we are, that's probably the best thing for him. Get him somewhere that he can get some time and work for a contract. We need a backup PG. I like AJ, but we need someone younger with this core. I do agree we need three PG or at least two and a backup 1/2

Barnes contract has been released.
Two-year, $3.2 million contract. The deal includes a player option of $1.6 million in 2010-11

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AqK_4KN3VFT6K15bBSDBEIW8vLYF?slug=aw-barnes072109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I definitely want CJ here. I trust Otis will make some magic!!! :pray:
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#247 » by craig01 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:13 pm

Pieces are almost all in place.

Amazing.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Horcy
Lead Assistant

Post#248 » by Horcy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:25 pm

BurningBridges wrote:Must I also add, the Magic can also do a sign and trade using part of Hedo's 7 million dollar trade exception and cash considerations obtained from Dallas and Toronto!

Is this true? So, we could trade a pick + part of the trade exception to obtain CJ? It seems very reasonable. He wants a 3 year deal (would be perfect for us too).
BurningBridges
Suspended
And1: 12

Post#249 » by BurningBridges » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:47 pm

Horcy wrote:
BurningBridges wrote:Must I also add, the Magic can also do a sign and trade using part of Hedo's 7 million dollar trade exception and cash considerations obtained from Dallas and Toronto!

Is this true? So, we could trade a pick + part of the trade exception to obtain CJ? It seems very reasonable. He wants a 3 year deal (would be perfect for us too).

No, the trade exception cannot be coupled with any players. And we cannot trade a draft pick since we already did that earlier this year...NBA rules restrict consecutive trading of draft picks. However, if Otis uses the rest of Dooling's expiring TE of 2 million plus or a portion of Hedo's 7 million TE alone, that should be enough to do a sign and trade.
BurningBridges
Suspended
And1: 12

Post#250 » by BurningBridges » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:49 pm

Guys let it be known to everyone that Dooling's Trade Exception (we still have a little over 2 million dollars left of it) EXPIRES TOMORROW. Otis, please do not let it go to waste. Hopefully, this is enough to lure Watson away from GS.
delsol650
Sixth Man
And1: 61

Post#251 » by delsol650 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:52 pm

Since you guys have been taking a bunch of previous warriors players and mgmt folks, can you also take MAGS while your at it > :pray: :pray: :eyebrows: :eyebrows: :pray:
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,960

Post#252 » by RookieStar » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:58 pm

delsol650 wrote:Since you guys have been taking a bunch of previous warriors players and mgmt folks, can you also take MAGS while your at it > :pray: :pray: :eyebrows: :eyebrows: :pray:

ummm.. if you send us Bierdrins as well I think we could work something out
Horcy
Lead Assistant

Post#253 » by Horcy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:00 pm

BurningBridges wrote:No, the trade exception cannot be coupled with any players. And we cannot trade a draft pick since we already did that earlier this year...NBA rules restrict consecutive trading of draft picks. However, if Otis uses the rest of Dooling's expiring TE of 2 million plus or a portion of Hedo's 7 million TE alone, that should be enough to do a sign and trade.

Perfect to me!! :D Better than a s&t.
Thanks dude
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#254 » by RookieStar » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:22 pm

First of all, I'm glad I didn't overreact when some were calling for Otis' head when they saw our lineup after the Vc trade.

Second, aren't we getting too much depth? Don't get me wrong, I like it, but... won't it affect chemistry issues? Look at the past champions like Boston and LA. They got a strong 5, 3 good bench players and some scrubs. We have a strong 5 plus (if CJ does signs with us) 6 good bench players.
WOn't our bench sulk or something seeign as they see another bench player get more minutes than them?
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,716

Post#255 » by Viper1500 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:26 pm

RookieStar wrote:First of all, I'm glad I didn't overreact when some were calling for Otis' head when they saw our lineup after the Vc trade.

Second, aren't we getting too much depth? Don't get me wrong, I like it, but... won't it affect chemistry issues? Look at the past champions like Boston and LA. They got a strong 5, 3 good bench players and some scrubs. We have a strong 5 plus (if CJ does signs with us) 6 good bench players.
WOn't our bench sulk or something seeign as they see another bench player get more minutes than them?

No such thing as too much depth.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#256 » by RookieStar » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:29 am

Viper1500 wrote:
RookieStar wrote:First of all, I'm glad I didn't overreact when some were calling for Otis' head when they saw our lineup after the Vc trade.

No such thing as too much depth.

Yeah on principle and paper. What about when egos or feelings start to get hurt. Thankfully the magic never had this problem aside form the "mini" one in Gortat(knock on wood). That was however when we didn't have as much depth and experience of a bench.
Magix3
Senior
And1: 1

Post#257 » by Magix3 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:17 am

No, there is no such thing as too much depth... SVG will handle egos
"Losing breeds losing. [Winners] understand this, and in the end, they will reap rewards." -dsrd
Dome
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#258 » by Dome » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:36 am

When there's an 18 page thread as to whether the Magic are going to sign CJ Watson or not, you know it's a slow offseason... :lol:
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,303

Post#259 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:46 pm

At this point I fully expect Otis to be looking at other options. Remember we are not looking for a lot, just a capable 2nd/3rd string PG.
aka: prorl
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#260 » by magicfan4life05 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:21 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... cj_watson/

Sixers Still Have Eye On C.J. Watson

While the Sixers remain in a sign-and-trade mode concerning unrestricted free agent Andre Miller, a source indicated that Ed Stefanski has also been monitoring a situation involving Golden State Warriors free agent guard C.J. Watson and the Orlando Magic.

The source confirmed that Watson had earlier rejected a 1-year, $2.3 million offer from the Sixers. If Watson were not to sign with the Magic, it is possible that the Sixers could make a fresh offer. Derrick Powell, one of Watson's agents, said Watson is working out regularly in Las Vegas, where he makes his home.
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."

Return to Orlando Magic