ImageImageImageImage

#14 UCF Football (7-0) @ SMU

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Re: UCF Football: Bortles to Jags 3rd overall 

Post#261 » by craig01 » Fri May 9, 2014 11:03 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:I was texting with some Jacksonville friends of mine last night during the draft and they really really wanted Watkins and were at first disappointed. But, after a half hour or so, they were quite happy they got Bortles and not Manziel. LOL

The bottom line is that you really do need a decent QB, and in the NFL there are just too many so so QB's.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#262 » by craig01 » Fri May 9, 2014 11:03 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:I was texting with some Jacksonville friends of mine last night during the draft and they really really wanted Watkins and were at first disappointed. But, after a half hour or so, they were quite happy they got Bortles and not Manziel. LOL

The bottom line is that you really do need a decent QB, and in the NFL there are just too many so so QB's.

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#263 » by craig01 » Fri May 9, 2014 11:04 pm

They will all adjust.

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#264 » by Nemesis21 » Sat May 10, 2014 12:34 pm

I like Bortles to the Jags, best QB in the draft. Marqise Lee is a steal in round 2 and Allen Robinson is good too. Still need to draft a RB IMO, could get Tre Mason or Devonta Freeman in round 4.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,237

Post#265 » by tiderulz » Sat May 10, 2014 1:05 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:I like Bortles to the Jags, best QB in the draft. Marqise Lee is a steal in round 2 and Allen Robinson is good too. Still need to draft a RB IMO, could get Tre Mason or Devonta Freeman in round 4.

Mason was drafted by the Rams.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#266 » by craig01 » Sat May 10, 2014 2:30 pm

Robinson is terrific. Lee is one that I have not really seen much, but I am surprised he was still available.

orlando1214
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,296

Post#267 » by orlando1214 » Sat May 10, 2014 10:31 pm

Awesome seeing the Jags getting Storm Johnson in the 7th round. Not only is it a great value pick but it's a smart move giving Bortles someone he is familiar with as well.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,455

Post#268 » by UCFJayBird » Sat May 10, 2014 11:23 pm

Really awesome to see Storm go to Jacksonville. Pretty much ever since Round 5 every pick for the Jaguars, when they displayed "pick is in" i'd be chanting "Storm, Storm, Storm, Storm!"

Glad to see it finally happen haha. I think the Jags had one of the better drafts. Lee and Robinson are really good WRs.
orlando1214
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,296

Post#269 » by orlando1214 » Sun May 11, 2014 12:26 am

UCFJayBird wrote:Really awesome to see Storm go to Jacksonville. Pretty much ever since Round 5 every pick for the Jaguars, when they displayed "pick is in" i'd be chanting "Storm, Storm, Storm, Storm!"

Glad to see it finally happen haha. I think the Jags had one of the better drafts. Lee and Robinson are really good WRs.

Yeah, Jags had a great draft in my opinion. I know not everybody thought Bortles should have gone third overall but Jacksonville now has their QB of the future and they did a great job with the rest of the draft giving him some weapons to succeed.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,218

Post#270 » by bondom34 » Sun May 11, 2014 4:31 am

Hey guys, glad to see A Rob go to your team. I was rooting for Bortles since he lit up my Lions, but glad to see Robinson should be able to grow along w/ a solid rookie QB!
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#271 » by AdamTheGreek » Sun May 11, 2014 6:49 pm

Justin McCray got signed by the Tennessee Titans.
Jordan McCray got signed by the Green Bay Packers (he'll have Josh Sitton too).
Chris Martin got signed by the Houston Texans.

All of them can be starters, IMO.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
IGotDaMagicInMe
Sixth Man
And1: 203

Post#272 » by IGotDaMagicInMe » Mon May 12, 2014 4:48 am

Not a fan of drafting bortles that high, especially considering where we couldve gotten bridgewater and manziel who I'd rather have
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,626

Post#273 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon May 12, 2014 2:13 pm

craig01 wrote:

I sure do hope Bortles proves em all wrong! Because, Jax desperately needs to rebound.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,303

Post#274 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon May 12, 2014 4:57 pm

IGotDaMagicInMe wrote:Not a fan of drafting bortles that high, especially considering where we couldve gotten bridgewater and manziel who I'd rather have

Bortles is gonna prove y'all wrong!!!!
aka: prorl
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#275 » by craig01 » Wed May 14, 2014 12:29 am

Ucf beats FSU 8-3 today.

AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#276 » by AdamTheGreek » Wed May 14, 2014 3:04 pm

Relevant. The United States Tennis Association is building a brand new and massive tennis facility in Lake Nona:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/te ... vkxv050958

And UCF's tennis program will get to use the place as its home.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,507

Post#277 » by MagicFan101 » Wed May 14, 2014 5:28 pm

Be honest here... do you guys believe Blake Bortles will be a strong NFL starter? Do you guys believe he was worth that pick? I only saw two UCF games last season and both were because I wanted to watch other teams / players (Bridgewater and Baylor).

It is possible to be a good fan and recognize the limitations of your players... here I'll demonstrate.

As an FSU alumni, I HATED the Christian Ponder pick. He was a great player for us in college but he just didn't have the arm to be an NFL starter. I realized that with AP there, Minny thought his short ball accuracy could be all they needed but you need a big arm to spread the defense for him not collapse the defense around the line knowing the deep ball isn't coming! While EJ is very raw, he does have all the physical tools of an NFL QB. Unfortunately, I don't know if he has the stuff upstairs to make it work. I could see him being another Josh Freeman. Hopefully Watkins is as good as advertised at the next level and helps EJ build confidence.

So many QBs get drafted every year and so few ever work out. Is Bortles one of those rare few? Don't tell me what he can be, tell me exactly what you think he will be.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,077

Post#278 » by UCF » Wed May 14, 2014 6:28 pm

Blake had the "it" factor imo. Given the right players and the support I do think he can be successful. I would rather have him than any other QB drafted this year for sure.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,626

Post#279 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed May 14, 2014 6:32 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:Be honest here... do you guys believe Blake Bortles will be a strong NFL starter? Do you guys believe he was worth that pick? I only saw two UCF games last season and both were because I wanted to watch other teams / players (Bridgewater and Baylor).

It is possible to be a good fan and recognize the limitations of your players... here I'll demonstrate.

As an FSU alumni, I HATED the Christian Ponder pick. He was a great player for us in college but he just didn't have the arm to be an NFL starter. I realized that with AP there, Minny thought his short ball accuracy could be all they needed but you need a big arm to spread the defense for him not collapse the defense around the line knowing the deep ball isn't coming! While EJ is very raw, he does have all the physical tools of an NFL QB. Unfortunately, I don't know if he has the stuff upstairs to make it work. I could see him being another Josh Freeman. Hopefully Watkins is as good as advertised at the next level and helps EJ build confidence.

So many QBs get drafted every year and so few ever work out. Is Bortles one of those rare few? Don't tell me what he can be, tell me exactly what you think he will be.

Bortles Gonna Prove You Wrong!!!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,507

Post#280 » by MagicFan101 » Wed May 14, 2014 6:36 pm

UCF wrote:Blake had the "it" factor imo. Given the right players and the support I do think he can be successful. I would rather have him than any other QB drafted this year for sure.

This is the very vague answer I was trying to weed out.

Sure, Bortles was the best prospect of this bunch but that isn't saying much.

But many suggested the Jags grab a far superior talent like Watkins or Mack and wait for the 2015 QB class which is expected to be fantastic. You can't always be waiting for next year, but the Jags are so so so terrible that no QB is going to turn them around. The Browns and Vikings were in different positions. They have some special talent in key positions.

Bortles lacks elite arm strength. Others have shown this isn't necessary to be great, but others have done so with far better talent around them. The Jags are dead. Sitting Bortles early is smart, but how long can they get away with that from a business stand point?

Return to Orlando Magic