ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 5.0

Moderators: Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, UCF, Knightro, ChosenSavior

I Rasharted
Sixth Man
And1: 858

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 5.0 

Post#281 » by I Rasharted » Sun May 12, 2024 11:39 am

That Ingram article felt like it was written by AI.
basketballRob wrote:Another good benefit about eating plants is that the artery going to your penis gets unclogged and starts flowing real good.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 11,990

Post#282 » by basketballRob » Sun May 12, 2024 12:11 pm

I Rasharted wrote:That Ingram article felt like it was written by AI.
I think their's zero percent chance that Ingram is coming here. I think we're looking for a bridge the gap player more than a long-term option. Suggs, Franz, and Paolo are our priorities, and another max player on a long-term deal wouldn't fit. We also have players developing and bringing in another young player might not mesh well with the team. That's why Klay, on a big 2-year deal, is attractive. I could also see Brogdon, but he may still be looking for a 4-yr extension.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
The-Stallion70
Sixth Man
And1: 538

Post#283 » by The-Stallion70 » Sun May 12, 2024 12:29 pm

byeganyo wrote:So yesterday i thought about CJ Mccolum, today i goggled it and of course there is a rumor linking him to us -

https://sportsnaut.com/cj-mccollum-trade-rumor-landing-spots/

Better shooter and passer than BI and can play pg/sg.

"Sportsnaut" seems like another blog boy website. Its not expensive to just buy a domain name and then start writing.

Are there any real sources in this or just some dude creating content?
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
The-Stallion70
Sixth Man

Post#284 » by The-Stallion70 » Sun May 12, 2024 12:35 pm

fendilim wrote:Why not go for Lonzo?

There could be something there as like a buy low and potential high reward option but I question whether we'd want to tie up our cap for a year with his $20M salary.

He expires next year but I'm not sure if our cap situation would really benefit too much from getting 20 more in room next year since we are extending Franz and Suggs and we may be over the cap anyways.
The-Stallion70
Sixth Man

Post#285 » by The-Stallion70 » Sun May 12, 2024 12:38 pm

thelead wrote:

The dude that hasn’t played for close to 3 years?

So Lonzo's 20m expiring would be perfect timing for that summer then? Think bruh
RichCollab
Veteran
And1: 829

Post#286 » by RichCollab » Sun May 12, 2024 12:46 pm

The-Stallion70 wrote:

There could be something there as like a buy low and potential high reward option but I question whether we'd want to tie up our cap for a year with his $20M salary.

He expires next year but I'm not sure if our cap situation would really benefit too much from getting 20 more in room next year since we are extending Franz and Suggs and we may be over the cap anyways.

Fultz and JI made sense as we were desperate for talent. He are no longer there. We need to use salary on role players who are available to play.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 25,898

Post#287 » by Knightro » Sun May 12, 2024 12:47 pm

This front office simply has not earned the benefit of the doubt (at least for me) when it comes to “oh we’re going to punt on doing something during time X, in favor of instead waiting and doing something during time Y.”

Because what happens when we get to the summer of 2025 and the “perfect” addition in free agency or a trade just isn’t there?
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,186

Post#288 » by fendilim » Sun May 12, 2024 1:12 pm

Whoops. I meant lamelo lol
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 6,315

Post#289 » by Skybox » Sun May 12, 2024 1:19 pm

Knightro wrote:This front office simply has not earned the benefit of the doubt (at least for me) when it comes to “oh we’re going to punt on doing something during time X, in favor of instead waiting and doing something during time Y.”

Because what happens when we get to the summer of 2025 and the “perfect” addition in free agency or a trade just isn’t there?

Agree…isn’t Murray pretty much a perfect fit? Checks all of the boxes, to a greater extent than others, is under contract and available?
Just strap in, open the treasure chest and get him…too much 3D organic family patient not skipping cloud cover.

If ATL won’t play along, Monk on hour 1 of FA.

The case for Dejounte Murray (again)…
-Long and athletic
-just the right age, proven vet but most of career ahead
-under a reasonable contract
- regular 20ppg scorer, can go for 40 when defenses leave him
- fierce, aggressive mentality…like Suggs…will be absolutely contagious wildfire and awful to play against
- excellent defender to add to an excellent defensive team
- high volume 3pt shooter, more than capable of hitting 8 or 9 in a game, must be respected
- legit PG skill, but more of a combo guard…won’t need to take the ball away from P&F, but can
- childhood mentor to our star player…the “beef” crap was just competitive fire- Paolo loves him

Just Do It! Pay what you need to pay to get him. I’m going to vomit when desperate LAL gets him for Rui + crap, because they come hard while others “play it cool and wait them out”. Think Rashard Evans…identify the missing piece, then get him. Rashard got overpaid as a UFA, ORL got to the Finals.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 6,048

Post#290 » by Nyce_1 » Sun May 12, 2024 1:26 pm

Knightro wrote:This front office simply has not earned the benefit of the doubt (at least for me) when it comes to “oh we’re going to punt on doing something during time X, in favor of instead waiting and doing something during time Y.”

Funny you say this as I started thinking of what it would look like if we preserved the cap space and utilized it next summer to chase Donovan Mitchell (who will not sign an extension). No guarantee he chooses us, and no guarantee there will be secondary options available that are as good as this summer's targets.

I guess aquiring players via trade IS the new free agency.

In my perfect world, we trade for DM this summer using cap space and draft picks.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#291 » by Skybox » Sun May 12, 2024 1:27 pm

The-Stallion70 wrote:

A healthy Lonzo would be a perfect fit…but his issues are not only unresolved, my understanding is that they don’t even really have a handle on recovery prospects. Sure, he expires…can’t you see ORL re-upping him for 4 years, at the therapy center because he’s “progressed to jogging and expects to be ready for training camp” :crazy:

We wasted years and MANY dollars on Fultz and Isaac and Grant Hill…but, this time it’s different - ORL has a lot of ground to lose. The franchise is in an awesome position to ascend further in a sustainable manner. Now is not the time for these reclamation projects…unless they’re retired or buyout guys on a vet minimum.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#292 » by Skybox » Sun May 12, 2024 1:32 pm

Extension or not, did anyone see Donovan Mitchell get his very promising young teammates involved? Other than patting Garland on the ass for making a 3, he pretty much went full-Iverson/Trae/Luka.

All those guys are generational awesome players who actually rack up a lot of assists- but that’s not the same as “sharing the ball”. I worry that a guy like that diminishes what makes Paolo & Franz special…not to mention they won’t talk to ORL without, at least, Franz and/or Suggs included.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 6,048

Post#293 » by Nyce_1 » Sun May 12, 2024 1:37 pm

Skybox wrote:

Agree…isn’t Murray pretty much a perfect fit? Checks all of the boxes, to a greater extent than others, is under contract and available?
Just strap in, open the treasure chest and get him…too much 3D organic family patient not skipping cloud cover.

If ATL won’t play along, Monk on hour 1 of FA.

The case for Dejounte Murray (again)…
-Long and athletic
-just the right age, proven vet but most of career ahead
-under a reasonable contract
- regular 20ppg scorer, can go for 40 when defenses leave him
- fierce, aggressive mentality…like Suggs…will be absolutely contagious wildfire and awful to play against
- excellent defender to add to an excellent defensive team
- high volume 3pt shooter, more than capable of hitting 8 or 9 in a game, must be respected
- legit PG skill, but more of a combo guard…won’t need to take the ball away from P&F, but can
- childhood mentor to our star player…the “beef” crap was just competitive fire- Paolo loves him

Just Do It! Pay what you need to pay to get him. I’m going to vomit when desperate LAL gets him for Rui + crap, because they come hard while others “play it cool and wait them out”. Think Rashard Evans…identify the missing piece, then get him. Rashard got overpaid as a UFA, ORL got to the Finals.
On the court, Murray is an amazing fit. Off the court, he's not a great fit. Jeff always says they bet on the person, not the player. Is he a person the FO is willing to bet on? From my POV, he isn't, but they, obviously, have more intel.
The-Stallion70
Sixth Man

Post#294 » by The-Stallion70 » Sun May 12, 2024 2:36 pm

Skybox wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:

A healthy Lonzo would be a perfect fit…but his issues are not only unresolved, my understanding is that they don’t even really have a handle on recovery prospects. Sure, he expires…can’t you see ORL re-upping him for 4 years, at the therapy center because he’s “progressed to jogging and expects to be ready for training camp” :crazy:

We wasted years and MANY dollars on Fultz and Isaac and Grant Hill…but, this time it’s different - ORL has a lot of ground to lose. The franchise is in an awesome position to ascend further in a sustainable manner. Now is not the time for these reclamation projects…unless they’re retired or buyout guys on a vet minimum.

You are really good at tearing down ideas and saying a bunch of crap but do you have any ideas of your own for what the team could do?

I don't think Lonzo is a good idea either but the Magic have an opportunity this summer to make a move to upgrade talent in free agency before extensions kick in so it is fun to brainstorm possibilities.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#295 » by Skybox » Sun May 12, 2024 2:41 pm

The-Stallion70 wrote:
Skybox wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:

You are really good at tearing down ideas and saying a bunch of crap but do you have any ideas of your own for what the team could do?

I don't think Lonzo is a good idea either but the Magic have an opportunity this summer to make a move to upgrade talent in free agency before extensions kick in so it is fun to brainstorm possibilities.

Great point...maybe I'll start dreaming up my first trade post :roll:
RichCollab
Veteran

Post#296 » by RichCollab » Sun May 12, 2024 3:02 pm

Skybox wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:
Skybox wrote:

OMG no! Someone asked for more ideas from Skybox? He has like 5 a day. LOL
RichCollab
Veteran

Post#297 » by RichCollab » Sun May 12, 2024 3:09 pm

Anyone ever peak at Tyus Jones playoff stats? Seems unplayable.

I started looking at playoff stats of the players we are interested in.
VFX
RealGM
And1: 13,871

Post#298 » by VFX » Sun May 12, 2024 3:15 pm

This.

It’s still funny though that people give them the pass that “it’s all strategic based on perfect timing” like they aren’t at the mercy of dictating their decisions based on what other teams are doing.

They’ve used the same excuses before. I remember when they first took over and talked about “needing consistency” with a group they would only trade years later. Same with this group. 1/3 of the roster shouldn’t be here or retained but they will argue that this team “needs consistency” whether the roster makes sense or not.
VFX
RealGM
And1: 13,871

Post#299 » by VFX » Sun May 12, 2024 3:21 pm

RichCollab wrote:Anyone ever peak at Tyus Jones playoff stats? Seems unplayable.

I started looking at playoff stats of the players we are interested in.

I mean…

Are you looking at numbers where he’s on one of the worst teams, in one of the worst situations, playing next to Jordan Poole and Kyle Kuzma? Or are you looking at when he was a backup in Memphis behind one of the better point guards in the league at the time?

I’ll take a 7:1 a/to guy that can shoot .400% from 3 at average volume if it means we don’t have to mortgage a ton of future assets or lock him into a ridiculous unmovable deal…

The alternative is moving a bunch of assets for guys that likely aren’t available or even more mediocrity on the market.
The-Stallion70
Sixth Man

Post#300 » by The-Stallion70 » Sun May 12, 2024 3:45 pm

RichCollab wrote:
Skybox wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:

OMG no! Someone asked for more ideas from Skybox? He has like 5 a day. LOL

Perhaps I came on strong but you have a point, the last thing we need is more Skybox ideas.

Return to Orlando Magic