ImageImageImageImage

BREAKING NEWS- Magic & Clifford agree to part ways

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,427

Re: BREAKING NEWS- Magic & Clifford agree to part ways 

Post#361 » by pepe1991 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:42 am

Kidd wasn't good coach first time around, hopefully he learned something
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,152

Post#362 » by KillMonger » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:47 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Def Swami wrote:
Read on Twitter
Sounds like he'd rather be here than Portland.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

kinda weird to me.....you pretty much had that job in the bag when the best player on their team co-signs you....then he pulls out before even interviewing there? to interview here?
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,201

Post#363 » by tiderulz » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:55 pm

KillMonger wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
Def Swami wrote:
Read on Twitter

kinda weird to me.....you pretty much had that job in the bag when the best player on their team co-signs you....then he pulls out before even interviewing there? to interview here?

could very easily be about expectations. Lillard a top-10 talent? but stuck on a roster that doesnt make sense and little room to make moves and missing draft picks. Kidd doenst win there immediately he faces flack

i dont think anyone would expect Kidd to win immediately here
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,993

Post#364 » by Nyce_1 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:24 pm

Scotto: In talking to people that are around Jason Kidd, and one source, in particular, had mentioned to me that Orlando reminds Kidd a lot of when he took over in Milwaukee. Kidd loves to teach and develop guys, and he enjoys those challenges. One source close to Kidd felt he’d be excited about potentially being in the mix for the Orlando Magic job. Time will tell on that. As I had reported on the podcast last time, some guys to keep an eye on are Ime Udoka and Kenny Atkinson.

Kidd has worked with John Hammond in Milwaukee. John’s now the GM in Orlando with Jeff Weltman as president there. Some wondered if they’d want to work together again. John previously called Kidd, “A relentless worker. If you ask me, would I work with him again? My answer would be yes. Because I want to win.”

Scotto: From Orlando’s perspective, I’m told they’re looking at all options for the head coaching position. There’s no specific qualification whether it’s a young coach, first-year coach, veteran coach, minority, or not. They’re conducting a wide-open search.

https://hoopshype.com/lists/trail-blazers-offseason-jason-kidd-updates-andre-drummond/
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,583

Post#365 » by Bensational » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:02 pm

KillMonger wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
Def Swami wrote:
Read on Twitter

He probably recognises that Portland job is a sand trap. You’d hate to take that job, fall short of expectations early and watch Lillard become the next star to demand a trade, either leaving you with a team of scraps or also getting you fired early.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#366 » by pepe1991 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:26 am

Most Bucks beatwriters have opinion that Kidd tryied to undermind Hammond in lot of roster changes, so this interview is strange,awkward and probably smoke screen and nothing else. Knowing Kidd, he is just angling this to get caoching job from Vogel.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#367 » by The Effect » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:13 am

pepe1991 wrote:Most Bucks beatwriters have opinion that Kidd tryied to undermind Hammond in lot of roster changes, so this interview is strange,awkward and probably smoke screen and nothing else. Knowing Kidd, he is just angling this to get caoching job from Vogel.

If that was true, why would he turn down an interview with the blazers? Youd think that would be the ultimate power play in that scenario as the blazers are in the west and have star players so much more enticing that a rebuilding small market team with no real stars
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#368 » by pepe1991 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:49 am

The Effect wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Most Bucks beatwriters have opinion that Kidd tryied to undermind Hammond in lot of roster changes, so this interview is strange,awkward and probably smoke screen and nothing else. Knowing Kidd, he is just angling this to get caoching job from Vogel.

If that was true, why would he turn down an interview with the blazers? Youd think that would be the ultimate power play in that scenario as the blazers are in the west and have star players so much more enticing that a rebuilding small market team with no real stars

I don't know, if you saw Vogel's interview, he said Kidd become his "closest friend" witch, i find hard to belive and to me it feels like Vogel just trying to play victim if Kidd takes his job. In mean time, in more than one interview, Kidd mentioned or hinted he wanted to become head coach for somebody again.

But reading between the lines while watching all of this play out, it was hard not to think back to something Stephen A. Smith of ESPN said the day Vogel was hired:

“If there is even a modicum of success that he (Vogel) does not have, Jason Kidd is in line to be the next head coach. He’s already on your bench, obviously he can maturate himself to the situation, and that’s the coach they wanted all along. Kurt Rambis wanted him as coach. Jeanie Buss and the rest of the staff, they wanted him as coach. They knew they couldn’t sell him to the public, but for right now, Frank Vogel is the safe pick, with Jason Kidd on his bench. And you can expect Jason Kidd to be the next head coach for the Los Angeles Lakers within two years.”

To me this all yells Jason Kidd is angling for Lakers job. Especially because he allegedly turned down Portland because he was "uncomfortable" how Lillard said in public he wants him :crazy:

Ultimate conspiracy would be that Lillard wants Kidd as head coach...but on Lakers... sign& trade for Schroder, Harrell and 3 unprotected first round picks would get a job done. God please no :lol:
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,583

Post#369 » by Bensational » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:55 am

I could see Kidd going to Dallas to join Doncic. Franchise ties, player’s coach, and now a vacancy.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#370 » by pepe1991 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:08 am

Bensational wrote:I could see Kidd going to Dallas to join Doncic. Franchise ties, player’s coach, and now a vacancy.

Good call.

Most interesting thing about Dallas isn't really coach change ( yesterday i was thinking how Dallas didn't change coach in ages :lol: ) it's Porzingis trade and how that will play out.

Dallas, if they can escape Porzings situation, has good salary situation.
Richardson with player's option but only $11M
Powell $11M, Kleber $8,7 but that's literally it.

If they are willing to go ball to the wall, they can trade Porzingis for star, sign star FA and give Doncic max.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,201

Post#371 » by tiderulz » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:49 pm

Bensational wrote:I could see Kidd going to Dallas to join Doncic. Franchise ties, player’s coach, and now a vacancy.

going to be really interesting to watch the power struggle going on right now with this gambler that has Cuban's ear right now
GelbeWand09
Rookie
And1: 1,446

Post#372 » by GelbeWand09 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:33 pm

pepe1991 wrote:

Good call.

Most interesting thing about Dallas isn't really coach change ( yesterday i was thinking how Dallas didn't change coach in ages :lol: ) it's Porzingis trade and how that will play out.

If they are willing to go ball to the wall, they can trade Porzingis for star, sign star FA and give Doncic max.

Who is trading a star for him? The chance is higher they have to do what Boston just did. Maybe a desperate team like Portland for CJ or for a bad contract like Wall. Or Miami sign & trade of Robinson + player x ? Maybe worth the risk instead of paying 20 mio for a onedimensional shooter & he would be good next to Luka :dontknow:
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,944

Post#373 » by RookieStar » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:24 pm

GelbeWand09 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

Good call.

Who is trading a star for him? The chance is higher they have to do what Boston just did. Maybe a desperate team like Portland for CJ or for a bad contract like Wall. Or Miami sign & trade of Robinson + player x ? Maybe worth the risk instead of paying 20 mio for a onedimensional shooter & he would be good next to Luka :dontknow:

My wild prediction is Kemba for Porzingis plus picks lol

Return to Orlando Magic