Read on Twitter
?s=20[/x]

4th in steals
T-6th in deflections
3rd in Loose balls recovered

Head of a top 5 defense.

But I was told “guard defense doesn’t matter”

Lol.

That guy should resist engaging a CHI fan about ORL…they’re still pretty salty about WCJ, Franz & Jett
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,300

Re: Is Jalen Suggs our 3rd best player? 

Post#43 » by magik9113 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:25 pm

based off this season's games, yes. His defense alone keeps him in the discussion for that, and his offense has been good recently
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,297

Post#44 » by JBSouthpaw » Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:10 pm

My biggest harp on Suggs has been his TOs, which he corrected last year and continues this year (1.8). I'd like it to be more consistent, he seems more hot and cold here. Games with 3 & 4, and also games with 0.
His Shooting is trending up over his career.
IF he can stay at 35% or above on 3s, get better at finishing and continue to stay in the line up, he could pass WCJ as our 3rd best.
The-Stallion70
Sixth Man
And1: 538

Post#45 » by The-Stallion70 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:35 pm

He's playing like it right now but we need more than 9 games before we can say definitively that he's the third best.
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
JoshuaPotter
Veteran
And1: 756

Post#46 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:38 pm

When I answer this question. Am I taking into account the current state of the health of the roster? The OP post does lean into that it is taking the current state of the roster in mind.

Current state of the roster in mind has him comfortably at top 3. WCJ / Cole Anthony arguably bring enough to the table to enter the chat near that I can recall.
jezzerinho
Veteran
And1: 1,710

Post#47 » by jezzerinho » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:23 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:My biggest harp on Suggs has been his TOs, which he corrected last year and continues this year (1.8). I'd like it to be more consistent, he seems more hot and cold here. Games with 3 & 4, and also games with 0.
His Shooting is trending up over his career.
IF he can stay at 35% or above on 3s, get better at finishing and continue to stay in the line up, he could pass WCJ as our 3rd best.

I think because Black is so parsimonious with the pill we can maybe afford to have a guy who's more a ball of energy type. Assuming they work out over time as a guard duo.

Getting Suggs to dial down his TOs is a v nice objective, but you dont want to have it occur at the expense of the play that gives him his identity. A little tidying up around the edges sure, but you want him wreaking havoc and its very difficult to go from whirling dervish to buddhist monk in 3 seconds.

Im referencing here his handling TOs. As for his passing TOs, i do think he needs to clean them up.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,698

Post#48 » by pepe1991 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:46 am

To me there are 3 ongoing issues with Suggs:
1) shooting better. No reason to explain this.
2) turnovers. Again, no reason to explain this.
3) playstyle

He is 6'4 -200 ish guy. His playstyle isn't sustainable for his body. Most of his injuries are selft inflicted. Last night again he almost killed himself and probably hurted himself (again). You can't be smallest player ( or one of the smallest) and play like this.

Being 6'4 and crushing into 6'8 people isn't fun.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,205

Post#49 » by drsd » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:52 pm

pepe1991 wrote:To me there are 3 ongoing issues with Suggs:
1) shooting better. No reason to explain this.
2) turnovers. Again, no reason to explain this.
3) playstyle

He is 6'4 -200 ish guy. His playstyle isn't sustainable for his body. Most of his injuries are selft inflicted. Last night again he almost killed himself and probably hurted himself (again). You can't be smallest player ( or one of the smallest) and play like this.

Being 6'4 and crushing into 6'8 people isn't fun.

And-1

My 11 year old son is now becoming a Magic fan. We watch games so I can show him how players get injured. "See how Suggs leg is bending sideways when he lands off of that crashing jump? Well that's how basketball players pop their ACL". THose sorts of conversations.

Would any fan here be surprised if Suggs has a "Shaun Livingston" injury? I wouldn't be.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 12,013

Post#50 » by basketballRob » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:32 pm

I'm not sure why Suggs was trying to dunk again. He blows half of them because he has small hands and loses control of the ball. His blown dunk was a turning point in the game. All he has to do is lay the ball up.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,372

Post#51 » by jonbob17 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:50 pm

I like that Suggs is trying to expand his game...at the same time some of the shots he is taking right now are bad shots. It's kind of where the Magic find themselves they still need A LOT of improvement to get to higher levels, and in order to do that they need to build on these kids failures.

Suggs has looked pretty good on catch and shoot 3s....not so much on 3s off the dribble...BUT we need for him to eventually have that too.
VFX
RealGM
And1: 13,883

Post#52 » by VFX » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:56 pm

Suggs looks like a lot of young players. Inconsistent but shows signs of being a quality starter.

Some games you get 5-6 from 3 with 7 steals.
Some games you get a bad shooting night and almost injured.

You take the good with the bad and hope he starts trending with the former than the latter. Fortunately for Suggs he has looked much better this season. It’s very obvious when he is off the floor that the defense takes a turn.
JoshuaPotter
Veteran
And1: 756

Post#53 » by JoshuaPotter » Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:26 pm

MagicMatic wrote:Suggs looks like a lot of young players. Inconsistent but shows signs of being a quality starter.

Some games you get 5-6 from 3 with 7 steals.
Some games you get a bad shooting night and almost injured.

You take the good with the bad and hope he starts trending with the former than the latter. Fortunately for Suggs he has looked much better this season. It’s very obvious when he is off the floor that the defense takes a turn.

+1 he is only year 3. Turning into a streaky shooter while annoying can be OK because that is just how averages work.

If he trends away from crashing into potentially injury scenarios and learns to pace himself he will be a great player long term in the NBA. Not like all-star level great but all defense 1st potential. Which IMHO is the unsung hero of the league.
Residual-Heat
Starter
And1: 1,301

Post#54 » by Residual-Heat » Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:53 pm

i dont care that suggs missed that dunk. i like the aggressiveness. The guy plays with infectious intensity and wants to win every game.

is he out of control at times? sure. is his shot inconsistent? yes. but we've seen growth in both areas.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst

Post#55 » by JBSouthpaw » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:12 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:i dont care that suggs missed that dunk. i like the aggressiveness. The guy plays with infectious intensity and wants to win every game.

is he out of control at times? sure. is his shot inconsistent? yes. but we've seen growth in both areas.

He had about a 10% chance of making that.
That was the 1st play of a run of three that really hurt us last night.
Residual-Heat
Starter
And1: 1,301

Post#56 » by Residual-Heat » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:15 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:i dont care that suggs missed that dunk. i like the aggressiveness. The guy plays with infectious intensity and wants to win every game.

id like to see your calculations here :lol:
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,300

Post#57 » by magik9113 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:29 pm

I think what sucked the most about that missed dunk is just that it bounced perfectly off the rim into a Nets player's hand and led to a quick easy bucket
JBSouthpaw
Analyst

Post#58 » by JBSouthpaw » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:30 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:
JBSouthpaw wrote:

He'd have about a 40% chance with know one around considering where he took off from, then add the traffic.
The 2nd one he missed was easier.
jonbob17
Analyst

Post#59 » by jonbob17 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:58 pm

MasterGMer wrote:[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/x]

It's crazy how much team defense impacts individual defensive metrics. Could they not squeeze the entire Timberwolves rotation into the top 10? We get it: a Gobert-KAT lineup is difficult to score against.

Deandre Ayton's inclusion here is rather shocking.
jonbob17
Analyst

Post#60 » by jonbob17 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:05 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:
JBSouthpaw wrote:

He'd have about a 40% chance with know one around considering where he took off from, then add the traffic.
The 2nd one he missed was easier.

Math checks out.

Return to Orlando Magic