ImageImageImageImage

Orlando Versus Houston 1/4/08

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

ProfX
Starter
And1: 24

Post#561 » by ProfX » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:37 pm

Had a paranoid conspiracy thought this morning. Is there any correlation between the Orlando fan base not being able to see the games and the win /loss record at home? Are officials taking advantage of these games to sweeten thier pockets? I'm sorry I guess I think the men in black are dirty. I seriously doubt there was truly only one bad apple.
npiper17
General Manager
And1: 2,337

Post#562 » by npiper17 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:41 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVLk0SY38wc

This video shows definitive proof. Right at the end of the video there is a silent replay of the call from behind the basket and it clearly shows space between Foyle's fingers and the ball before the light goes on.
OrlandoMagic
Lead Assistant
And1: 435

Post#563 » by OrlandoMagic » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:19 pm

npiper17 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVLk0SY38wc

This video shows definitive proof. Right at the end of the video there is a silent replay of the call from behind the basket and it clearly shows space between Foyle's fingers and the ball before the light goes on.

the 1:40 mark clearly shows it to me its off his hands
TooNice00
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#564 » by TooNice00 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:40 pm

the fact you can't really zoom in means you can't really tell. at best you might think just ONE of his finger tips is touching the ball. it was a judgement call by the refs and the last thing the nba needs is a judgement call deciding the outcome of a game. as if there isn't enough judgement calls already. talk about destorying an exciting play. NO ONE would have question the validity of that play have they counted it. but instead they decide to go the controversial route. maybe the refs had plans together after the game i dunno. the call just made no sense. sending a game into OT would have made a rather ugly game into something a little more exciting.
y 2 a B
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#565 » by y 2 a B » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:59 pm

I've spent a lot of time reviewing the play with many different angles and some angles show it barely off his fingertips, and the other shots are just hard to see. It baffles me how quickly the refs decided it no good and rushed to go into the locker room.

If I'm the Magic front office I wouldn't leave the NBA front office alone until I got some kind of explanation from them, because it would be quite interesting to hear what they would have to say.
ProfX
Starter
And1: 24

Post#566 » by ProfX » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:01 pm

If a ruling can't be given it should go to the team in question. How rare is it anyway?
out of difficulty comes opportunity.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,303

Post#567 » by Optimus_Steel » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:16 pm

y 2 a B wrote:I've spent a lot of time reviewing the play with many different angles and some angles show it barely off his fingertips, and the other shots are just hard to see. It baffles me how quickly the refs decided it no good and rushed to go into the locker room.

If I'm the Magic front office I wouldn't leave the NBA front office alone until I got some kind of explanation from them, because it would be quite interesting to hear what they would have to say.

Thats what infuriates me. First they didnt make an actual call which you cant do, you have to make a call either way then check to make sure they got it right, they didnt have the balls to make a call and instead used the replay to fall back on which is not the purpose of the replay. Then they rushed the replay process. They quickly made a decision with out reviewing properly, grabbed their jackets and took off running like they were late for something. They acted like they were late for their flight and overtime would be too inconvenient for them. It was soo unprofessional and disgusting to watch. I wish the NBA would fined them but you know that wont happen because the NBA is afraid to admit that their referees messed up. Its all BS.
aka: prorl
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#568 » by mhectorgato » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:31 pm

prorl wrote:Thats what infuriates me. First they didnt make an actual call which you cant do, you have to make a call either way then check to make sure they got it right, they didnt have the balls to make a call and instead used the replay to fall back on which is not the purpose of the replay. Then they rushed the replay process. They quickly made a decision with out reviewing properly, grabbed their jackets and took off running like they were late for something. They acted like they were late for their flight and overtime would be too inconvenient for them. It was soo unprofessional and disgusting to watch. I wish the NBA would fined them but you know that wont happen because the NBA is afraid to admit that their referees messed up. Its all BS.

While I think they got it wrong it was an awfully close call to make.

They didn't rush the call imo, taking about, if not a little more than a minute to review a single play. As best as you can, could in seconds a full minute, it wasn't a snap decision. If they did it in 15 or 30 seconds perhaps.

Surely they stepped through it frame by frame to make a decision.

However, as many pointed out - yourself and SVG included - that they didn't appear to make the call on the floor.

It will be interesting if anything comes out about this. In the past they have admitted the refs handled it incorrectly, but they didn't change the outcome the game, which I would be shocked if they did in our case. iirc, they talked about how the reminded all the refs regarding the situation and the proper way of handling it.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
magicmamma
Assistant Coach
And1: 30

Post#569 » by magicmamma » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:31 pm

It seems to me if one view shows space between his hand and the ball before time is up, it wouldn't matter if others showed his hand still on the ball. Camera angle can produce apparent contact that isn't there, but I don't see any way it could produce space that wasn't there.

One has to guess that at least one of the refs had a hot date right after the game and couldn't wait for OT. Do refs have groupies?
mhectorgato
RealGM

Post#570 » by mhectorgato » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:46 pm

magicmamma wrote:It seems to me if one view shows space between his hand and the ball before time is up, it wouldn't matter if others showed his hand still on the ball. Camera angle can produce apparent contact that isn't there, but I don't see any way it could produce space that wasn't there.

One has to guess that at least one of the refs had a hot date right after the game and couldn't wait for OT. Do refs have groupies?

Yes. They're called bookmakers.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,200

Post#571 » by magik9113 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:59 pm

K well I was out all last night and just woke up and watched the highlights. What bull crap, how unlucky can we get.
oh well what more should I expect...

And Keyon in the starting lineup over Bogans after not playing vs the Nets? Some things I just don't get. Let's expect a trade for a guard
MagicFan3
Banned User
And1: 19

Post#572 » by MagicFan3 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:15 pm

I really hope the Magic have been on the phone to the league office today.
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#573 » by theTHIEF » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:16 pm

why? it will do nothing for us if they come out and say "oh man, we blew it" it's still a loss...so, that being said, i believe the league wishes to preserve it's face...nothing more will come of this...
taruky1
Sixth Man
And1: 27

Post#574 » by taruky1 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:20 pm

The other thing I noticed on the replay was Battier (I believe) pushing both Foyle and Hedo in the back . It would be too much asking for an NBA ref to call something like that. A high school ref, yes, but an NBA ref...no.
MagicFan3
Banned User
And1: 19

Post#575 » by MagicFan3 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:28 pm

thEthIEf wrote:why? it will do nothing for us if they come out and say "oh man, we blew it" it's still a loss...so, that being said, i believe the league wishes to preserve it's face...nothing more will come of this...

I'm interested in hearing the league's explanation for it. If they defend it, I think it's safe to say that the NBA doesn't give a damn about the quality of their league any more.
mhectorgato
RealGM

Post#576 » by mhectorgato » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:34 pm

magik9113 wrote:K well I was out all last night and just woke up and watched the highlights. What bull crap, how unlucky can we get.
oh well what more should I expect...

And Keyon in the starting lineup over Bogans after not playing vs the Nets? Some things I just don't get. Let's expect a trade for a guard

This is either to (A) shop players or an (B) attempt to mix things up to get a different result.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,062

Post#577 » by drsd » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:21 pm

The Magic lost because they put themselves into a large hole.
PrinceDiablo
Junior
And1: 8

Post#578 » by PrinceDiablo » Sun Jan 6, 2008 2:27 am

I believe that his fingers were still on the ball when it was 0.0, but the buzzer was a half-second late and that is why it is unclear.
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,580

Post#579 » by DiplomaticMagic » Sun Jan 6, 2008 2:33 am

1st game I went to this season by driving 2.5 hours to get there and it's this crap :banghead:. I saw the replay of it at the arena and on sportscenter which both basically showed the same angle. And it looked cleary it was out of his hands. That was the only angle I saw tho.

I never knew they allowed you to go courtside tho when they warm-up. I got Jameer Nelson, Carlos Arroyo, Brian Cook, and Tony Battie autograph!
Trade for Jarret Allen
lovehoops01
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#580 » by lovehoops01 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 6:37 am

magicmamma wrote:It seems to me if one view shows space between his hand and the ball before time is up, it wouldn't matter if others showed his hand still on the ball. Camera angle can produce apparent contact that isn't there, but I don't see any way it could produce space that wasn't there.

Well, that same crew did ref the Hawks-Nets game on Saturday night so they probably did have a plane to catch.

Return to Orlando Magic