ImageImageImageImage

Magic to Retire Shaquille O'Neal's #32 Jersey on 2/13/24

Moderators: Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, UCF, Knightro, ChosenSavior

dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,060

Re: Magic to Retire Shaquille O'Neal's #32 Jersey on 2/13/24 

Post#61 » by dsg2021 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:34 pm

I thought Shaq's speech was harmless outside of not mentioning Dwight. Literally saying Grant Hill's name for jersey retirement is kind of proof of that (unless the Magic wanted to take an extremely loose approach to jersey retirements moving forward).

By the way, our Orlando Magic are by the Official NBA history books, still tied as the 5th youngest franchise in NBA history. Our 0 titles to 35 seasons is still much more palatable than the mountain of NBA teams with 0-1 titles in 50-60+ seasons. This context also makes it, well, make a lot of sense, to retire Shaq and Penny's jerseys. The sheer amount of celebrity fame and sensational moments they brought was both an Orlando and global phenomenon completely unseen before. Paolo could bring a ring to Orlando in 4 seasons, and it still wouldn't equal half of the hype and draw of Shaq and Penny's days. Although for us real fans, Paolo would certainly become the biggest legend and GOAT of Magic history, even over the likes of Shaq. Paolo got the Dirk Nowitzki magic lined up, win just one single one in Orlando and your legendary status is cemented. He getting the statute with the jersey.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,217

Post#62 » by Def Swami » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:15 pm

What an absolute fumble. They're so married to a boring, uninteresting logo, font, brand.
Read on Twitter
thelead
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#63 » by thelead » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:25 pm

Def Swami wrote:What an absolute fumble. They're so married to a boring, uninteresting logo, font, brand.
Read on Twitter

It's almost like they have to pay royalties for the old design. Nearly all magic fans have been asking for them to go back to the original pinstriped jerseys and they just refuse.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,219

Post#64 » by eyriq » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:32 pm

thelead wrote:
Def Swami wrote:What an absolute fumble. They're so married to a boring, uninteresting logo, font, brand.
Read on Twitter

It's almost like they have to pay royalties for the old design. Nearly all magic fans have been asking for them to go back to the original pinstriped jerseys and they just refuse.
It has to be something like this and they are just cheap AF. OR they are the most tone deaf org in the cosmos.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,055

Post#65 » by MagicStarwipe » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:25 am

Read on Twitter

So we're going to keep these crappy jerseys and logo forever?
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
crazytown
Veteran
And1: 757

Post#66 » by crazytown » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:03 am

meanwhile it looks perfectly fine with one of the most storied franchises. what a joke :noway:

Read on Twitter
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man
And1: 1,069

Post#67 » by OrlMagic05 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:42 pm

was at the game and first, the ceremony was way too long considering it was after the game. Also, could others hear some fans being Devos?
SS_MagicMark
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#68 » by SS_MagicMark » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:34 pm

The replica jersey giveaway to fans after the ceremony was a clown show.

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,554

Post#69 » by Furinkazan » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:39 pm

the ceremony was beautiful
his speech and how he acted there was amazing

having said that I still woudnt retire his number...
such things should be reserved for someone who wins multiple titles or at least one title for a home team
he didnt here and he left this team with no remorse
this is betrayal
he can say he was offended he can say it wa sbaout the money or not...i dont give a fk
he left this team run away to greener pastures of LA and this is what matters
Kent
Veteran
And1: 1,298

Post#70 » by Kent » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:03 pm

SS_MagicMark wrote:The replica jersey giveaway to fans after the ceremony was a clown show.

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app

Yeah... I was really bummed they ran out before I could get one.

I'm not sure if they didn't order enough or people found ways to take multiple since they gave them away outside the arena.

I can only guess that they felt they needed a way to get fans to stay in the building for the ceremony, but come on -- it's Shaq! Plus Penny! Who wasn't staying? Just hand them at the ticket scan to ensure everyone got just one.

I really question if they ordered 19k+, enough for everyone.

It seems silly to be disappointed not to receive a free jersey that they didn't promise before I bought a ticket. But I think I'm more annoyed that they said everyone would get one right before the game ended and I wasn't even among the last to exit the building.
Ryan Anderson = Pat Garrity 10.0
-LBPTarHeel27
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,130

Post#71 » by bigdogdylan5 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:16 pm

The whole night was a disaster imo. It was a damn Tuesday night and the post game setup took forever. I didn’t get home till like 1:00 AM and totally regretted it. They had to have everyone speak and literally say the exact same thing felt so self important for Martins and Devos (little men need their moment). Should have just had David Steele, Nick Anderson, Penny, then Shaq. 3D did not have to have a speech. Shaq’s speech was harmless but **** strange and felt like a f you to the Devos family. I truly don’t have that big of an issue with the Devos family for the simple fact they really put their money where their mouths were during the Dwight run where they saw a possibility of contention. Other small market owners have cheaped out and screwed it up in the past. Now that will change very quickly if they cheap out with Paolo or their Son actually gets a role in basketball ops. But back to Shaq, it felt like he wanted to strong arm them to give you ownership stake which is dumb as ****. Maybe if you won us a championship but you left after 4 years. Honestly the jersey retirement felt like a stretch. Honestly JJ the night after felt way more genuine then anything Shaq said. Also he doesn’t **** know anyone on our team besides Paolo… that was so cringe and he didn’t even know the Wagner brothers apart. That’s how much effort he put in to this and had the gaul to get the fans on his side to get an ownership stake lol. Just strange. Not to mention the wanting to retire every name under the sun including Grant Hill whobarely played for us and his contract was the single most debilitating cap hit in our franchise history.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,680

Post#72 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:08 pm

Towards the end of the game when SVG and Shaq were commentating, Shaq didn't seem interested in his Jersey retirement when he claimed why didn't they retire it a few years ago when they celebrated him in some other ceremony.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!

Return to Orlando Magic