ImageImageImageImage

Will Vince be a better go-to guy than Hedo?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

Nothingface
Assistant Coach
And1: 8

Re: Will Vince be a better go-to guy than Hedo? 

Post#61 » by Nothingface » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:35 pm

Carter is clutch, hard to deny that. He also has no heart and is mentally weak, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem for this Magic team.

It will be very interesting to see how it all works out, I'll be paying attention to the Magic next season.

Overall I would say Carter is a good guy. He just floated on his talent too much. He could have been one of the best ever.
I do what I feel, not because people ask me to do this,” Bargnani says, holding his hands over his head and doing a strange chicken dance.
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#62 » by KingRobb02 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:06 pm

Mark (NY): Vince Carter and Brandon Bass for Turkoglu, Alston, Battie and Lee? How is this a massive success ? Turk is the best player of that group easily.

John Hollinger (3:28 PM): I'm amazed at how many people think Turkoglu is better than Vince Carter. Sorry, but there's no way. Carter is a better shooter, better scorer, better rebounder, better defender and, believe it or not, had a better Pure Point Rating than Turk last season. Nobody saw him because the Nets were terrible, but he had an All-Star caliber season. This is a massive upgrade.

This is from John Hollinger's chat today
G_MoNeY
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#63 » by G_MoNeY » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:19 pm

agree 100%
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#64 » by craig01 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:38 pm

It's still entertaining to see how many folks believe that Hedo is so irreplaceable.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
heavyjay
Junior

Post#65 » by heavyjay » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:22 pm

This is like asking, 'Is Michael Jordan a better go-to guy than Scottie Pippen?'
My 2 favorite NBA teams:

1) Orlando Magic
2) Whoever is playing the Celtics
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#66 » by KingRobb02 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:26 pm

heavyjay wrote:This is like asking, 'Is Michael Jordan a better go-to guy than Scottie Pippen?'

Pippen's PER was never below the league average. This is more like is Scottie Pippen a better go-to-guy than Toni Kukoc.
ice11red
Sophomore

Post#67 » by ice11red » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:40 pm

I think the biggest difference that makes Carter better then Turkoglu is his decision making. Something that was never consistant for Turkoglu that Orlando really needed from him.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#68 » by craig01 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:51 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:
Pippen's PER was never below the league average. This is more like is Scottie Pippen a better go-to-guy than Toni Kukoc.

LOL.....better analogy though.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
TMACDJD
Bench Warmer

Post#69 » by TMACDJD » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:57 pm

Answer to the title question. YES!

As much as Hedo did for the magic i wouldn't say he was that consistent. when he was on fire he was brilliant (15-25% of the time) and when he was poor..............OMG.
Hedo fit great in our system since Stan came in. before that he was just a good player with many off nights.

In Vince we get a consistent player with very good FG% for the amount of shots he takes. Cant deny his 3's either (And the Range he has). He hit 17 more then Hedo last year with 151 of 392 compared to Hedo's 134 of 376

Also Everyone talks about us missing Hedo's Assists.

In the last 5 years stats are as follows:

Hedo Assists Total 1386
Vince Assists Total 1762

Difference of 376, if we assume that these assists lead to a two point play only and not a 3 then thats 752 points. divide that by the past 5 seasons were measuring stats against then thats an average of 150.4 points. Thats a huge difference over the season. easily worth additional wins.

Hedo we love ya but this is VC's time to shine now. He will be a fit fantastic in this team.
LOVE LIFE..................LOVE THE MAGIC!
JGKoblenz
Ballboy

Post#70 » by JGKoblenz » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:18 pm

Vince Carter Will Help Improve The Orlando Magic

Read the article here: http://sportstwo.com/blog/uncategorized/vince-carter-will-help-improve-the-orlando-magic/
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#71 » by damo[23] » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:52 pm

Hedo had his great moments for us in the past years, but Vince is known as a clutch player. There was an article when the move happened, really wish I remembered where I saw it, but Vince is excellent in the final 5 minutes and with the ball in his hands for the last shot.

I think we'll come out fine in this regards.

Also remember that we've got Rashard Lewis, he's another guy who can hit that final shot.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,585

Post#72 » by eyriq » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:54 pm

Comparing Go-To credentials is a rather simple process imo. Look at general offensive efficiency to begin with, then move into more individual skills, like ability to create a shot for self and others as well as ability to draw fouls. Carter beats Turk in all this hands down.

So first a look at offensive efficiency:

Turk: USG%=23%; PER=14.8; ORtg=107
Carter: USG%=25.6%; PER=18.8; ORtg=111

Next a look at FG%, AST%, and FTApg:

Turk: eFG%=.478; TS%=.541; AST%=22.4; FTApg=5.1
Carter: eFG%=.494; TS%=.550; AST%=25.2; FTApg=5.6

Hey, maybe O-tiz knows what he is doing after all?
MrOrlando
Starter
And1: 88

Post#73 » by MrOrlando » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:04 pm

Yes. No stats needed. Everyone, just remember when Hedo was inconsistent. How many of those games did we lose? 'nuff said.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,281

Post#74 » by Optimus_Steel » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:13 pm

I love Hedo but anyone saying that he is better than Vince is just really uninformed or hating. Hedo brings alot to the table but to say that because our system that losing him is catostrophic is just dumb. Vince is without a doubt better and will improve our team. He is the type of player that we had been missing for years.
aka: prorl
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,260

Post#75 » by Blue_and_Whte » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:25 pm

Nothingface wrote:Carter is clutch, hard to deny that. He also has no heart and is mentally weak, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem for this Magic team.

It will be very interesting to see how it all works out, I'll be paying attention to the Magic next season.

Overall I would say Carter is a good guy. He just floated on his talent too much. He could have been one of the best ever.

And the Carter hate continues. No heart......lol Do you know how many bad teams he had to carry? Can't wait until the season starts so he can shut people up.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 731

Post#76 » by Hilltop » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:36 am

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Nothingface wrote:Carter is clutch, hard to deny that. He also has no heart and is mentally weak, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem for this Magic team.

And the Carter hate continues. No heart......lol Do you know how many bad teams he had to carry? Can't wait until the season starts so he can shut people up.

I don't see the Carter hate. :roll: If anything, that post was actually quite objective.

Carter's heart, and his mental focus have ALWAYS been his knocks as an NBA player. None of that means he isn't clutch, or that he isn't a very good player.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#77 » by Blue_and_Whte » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:51 am

Hilltop wrote:Carter's heart, and his mental focus have ALWAYS been his knocks as an NBA player. None of that means he isn't clutch, or that he isn't a very good player.

To each his own. But is Pierce considered to have "no heart or mental toughness" he couldn't win with out help. I dont agree with saying he doesn't have heart...I've never seen display a lack of heart. Especially when he was digging NJ out of holes to at least keep the games close and sometimes win a few. He also deferred to Harris with no complaint that I knew of.
#2A
#Adopt
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by Hilltop » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:43 am

I don't know the situation with Pierce well enough to talk about it.

I am not saying the lack of heart described his tenure with the Nets and that it will carry over to the Magic. I am simply saying that these things (heart, work ethic, mentality) will always be considered hanging items for Vince Carter. Once is enough to indicate that I'm afraid. His hissy fits and sandbagging in Toronto did just that.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#79 » by Blue_and_Whte » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:32 am

Hilltop wrote:I don't know the situation with Pierce well enough to talk about it.

I am not saying the lack of heart described his tenure with the Nets and that it will carry over to the Magic. I am simply saying that these things (heart, work ethic, mentality) will always be considered hanging items for Vince Carter. Once is enough to indicate that I'm afraid. His hissy fits and sandbagging in Toronto did just that.

Yeaaah he could've handled the TOR situation a little differently. I think VC has obviously matured over the years. I havent heard anything in regards to his work ethic or attitude being questioned. Pierce and the celtics blew until Garnett and ALlen arrived.
#2A
#Adopt
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#80 » by Hilltop » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:19 am

Well, seeing that we've only tied him up for 2 years and this atmosphere seems almost ideal for him, I don't think we have a lot to worry about anyway. I'd be a lot more concerned if this were a long-term commitment.

Return to Orlando Magic