ImageImageImageImage

BREAKING NEWS- Magic & Clifford agree to part ways

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,663

Re: BREAKING NEWS- Magic & Clifford agree to part ways 

Post#81 » by Skin » Sat Jun 5, 2021 8:11 pm

ChosenSavior wrote:This probably won't happen and I'm not even sure if he wants to coach at the next level but I would be excited if Penny Hardaway wanted to coach here.

Penny would heal this franchise. Love it
pinoynurse
Bench Warmer
And1: 362

Post#82 » by pinoynurse » Sat Jun 5, 2021 8:27 pm

The Effect wrote:Wonder if WeHam would hire Jason Kidd again? they did it once, would they do it again?

Correct me if im wrong but wasnt that more of the owner intervening when he shouldnt have? Dont believe he was their choice at all i think
From strength, learn gentleness. Through gentleness, strength will prevail.
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,827

Post#83 » by Audi » Sat Jun 5, 2021 8:27 pm

UCF wrote:Penny would be a very interesting choice. He’s a legend as a player and would relate to the young guys.

Just as a franchise marketing ploy this would pay dividends. Bring in a solid vet as his #2 and see what happens. As long as they aren’t hurting development, I can’t see the problem with something like this.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,159

Post#84 » by Def Swami » Sat Jun 5, 2021 8:53 pm

I think Kenny Atkinson would be my first choice. He was good for the development of the pre-KD Nets.

Jason Kidd was hired by John Hammond in Milwaukee, IIRC, so there's a relationship there.

I always liked with Terry Stotts did with the Blazers. I think his team always over-performed given their talent. And it's weird that they dropped this news on a Saturday, just a couple days after Stotts left Portland.

I think there are some good assistants out there that could be good.

I would love for the Penny Hardaway to be a head coach. It would be a cool story, but this isn't the right team for him. Hardaway shouldn't take a job where he's doomed to fail. This team is going to be a lottery team for the next year or two and he should be coming in with a team that has a little more experience. And he should have experienced assistant coaches.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,682

Post#85 » by PDXKnight » Sat Jun 5, 2021 8:56 pm

i think you guys hire stotts
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,934

Post#86 » by RookieStar » Sat Jun 5, 2021 9:06 pm

First off... thank you coach Cliff. You brought stability to our franchise which had a coaching carousel and somewhat messed up the development of our players who had 4 coaches in 4 years(???).

You also gave our franchise the feeling of what it was to be in the POs again. If we just didn't have the injuries, who knows where we would have been in development.

Hope for the best on your future endeavors and I wouldn't be surprised if you would be the next coach of the Celts seeing as they don't have one right now as well.

With that said, I wouldn't mind KA from the nets. He brought a lot of new no names players into respectability. How much success would he have with higher picks as well as JI and Fultz.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,130

Post#87 » by KillMonger » Sat Jun 5, 2021 9:21 pm

Lets get our Monty Williams.....hopefully we can get our devin booker as well
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#88 » by RookieStar » Sat Jun 5, 2021 9:25 pm

Do we wait after the draft to get a HC or do we do it before?
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,197

Post#89 » by rcklsscognition » Sat Jun 5, 2021 9:36 pm

No hire until after the lottery is set so we can bring in someone decent if we get #1. Otherwise we will stick with Ty Corbin.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,572

Post#90 » by Bensational » Sat Jun 5, 2021 9:49 pm

Rick Rolled wrote:I wish Coach Clifford and Dwayne Bacon all the best in their future endeavors.

Lol. You really do bring the best snipes on the board!
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,572

Post#91 » by Bensational » Sat Jun 5, 2021 9:53 pm

I wouldn’t be surprised to see some of the names we were considering with Clifford to reappear. Wasn’t Stotts a finalist amongst them then, too?

Stackhouse probably gets another look. Penny would be a classic Orlando move, to bring and old Orlando name back for a senior role they’re maybe not ready/right for.

Kenny Atkinson is the most interesting coach out there for me, but I’m not too worried all up.

I’ve enjoyed having Cliff as a coach here. I like his attitude and approach overall. He got us back into the playoffs which was nice. But our two roads are going in different directions now, so we must part ways.

He should go join SVG in New Orleans. I think the two of them could get that team to the next level.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,983

Post#92 » by Nyce_1 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 9:55 pm

I'd keep away from Stotts.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,208

Post#93 » by Max Power » Sat Jun 5, 2021 9:58 pm

I can see the Magic waiting to get a head coach until after the lottery. Imagine if by some miracle the Magic end up with picks 1 and 5,(Not saying this is a real possibility, just for argument sake) the interest by higher quality coaches increases big time if the Magic can get Cunningham and another potential star rookie to flank him for the next several years. It should be an attractive job anyway, we do have two top ten picks, some young talent and some cap space in a couple years. I think Kenny Atkinson would be my top choice. I’m not feeling Penny Hardaway honestly, I’d root him on, but I don’t see him as a fit for the team as is. I think Chauncey Billups would be an interesting choice if we’re going with a former player.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,068

Post#94 » by p0peye » Sat Jun 5, 2021 10:39 pm

RickB-Orlando wrote:It’s not like this team is likely to immediately turn into a playoff team, unless Isaac miraculously develops ankles of steel. It wouldn’t surprise me if we see something like the Jacque Vaughn hiring - someone to keep the seat warm for a few truly horrible seasons while some picks mature a bit, then flip the switch for a playoff coach.

God, I hope not. There was no maturation in Vaughn years and arguably lack of system and accountability stunted player development, thus we saw some players flourish when traded to structured systems years later.

I am one of the guys that liked Cliffs coaching, but we had this coming ever since the trade. We are heading for a long rebuild and next couple of years are meaningless waste of time for coaches like him and he wouldn't make it through. Let's see what our FO line of thinking is, as I kinda doubt Stotts will be hired (if he would be interested to begin with).
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,159

Post#95 » by Def Swami » Sat Jun 5, 2021 10:39 pm

KillMonger wrote:Lets get our Monty Williams.....hopefully we can get our devin booker as well

This is a great point. How we do in the lottery will determine who our pool of candidates are.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,954

Post#96 » by basketballRob » Sat Jun 5, 2021 10:45 pm

Just give Corbin a chance for a year and keep the same staff. He seemed more willing to give players like Bamba some extra PT.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,068

Post#97 » by p0peye » Sat Jun 5, 2021 10:45 pm

Max Power wrote:I can see the Magic waiting to get a head coach until after the lottery. Imagine if by some miracle the Magic end up with picks 1 and 5,(Not saying this is a real possibility, just for argument sake) the interest by higher quality coaches increases big time if the Magic can get Cunningham and another potential star rookie to flank him for the next several years. It should be an attractive job anyway, we do have two top ten picks, some young talent and some cap space in a couple years. I think Kenny Atkinson would be my top choice. I’m not feeling Penny Hardaway honestly, I’d root him on, but I don’t see him as a fit for the team as is. I think Chauncey Billups would be an interesting choice if we’re going with a former player.

Technically it is impossible, unless we somehow win lottery and trade up Bulls pick from 8th to 5th.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,042

Post#98 » by drsd » Sat Jun 5, 2021 11:10 pm

TDJacksonville wrote:Becky Hammonds :D

If she wasn't being groomed to be the next Spurs coach, I would be thrilled for her to lead the Magic rebuild. She has had nothing but respect from players and really knows her X-and-Os.

MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,505

Post#99 » by MagicFan101 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 11:36 pm

Not sure how much credibility this adds:

Read on Twitter
?s=21
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#100 » by RookieStar » Sat Jun 5, 2021 11:38 pm

rcklsscognition wrote:No hire until after the lottery is set so we can bring in someone decent if we get #1. Otherwise we will stick with Ty Corbin.

Why would that interfere with getting someone decent?

I think it should be AFTER the draft and the lineup is more or less set so the new coach cannot set conditions like " I want you to draft this guy " unless our FO would value the insight of the new coach?

Return to Orlando Magic