ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 5.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 25,029

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 5.0 

Post#961 » by Knightro » Tue May 21, 2024 12:40 am

Just to clear up some stuff on the whole "the Magic can have cap space in the summer of 2025" thing.

I am assuming that Franz and Suggs are both getting extended this summer and for the sake of this exercise, I'm gonna say they come in at $60M combined.

The Magic have to spend a little under $20M this summer just to hit the salary floor. Let's say they do that with a pair of 1 year deals at $10M for Fultz and Harris.

So going into the summer of 2025 with a projected salary cap of $155.1M for 25-26...

Franz/Suggs: $60M
Paolo: $15.33M
Cole: $13.1M
WCJ: $10.85M
Black: $7.97M
Jett: $5.52M
Houstan: $2.18M
2024 1st: $4M approx
2025 1st: $3M approx
Two Empty Roster Charges: $2.5M approx

Total: $124.45M
Cap Space: $30.65M

So the Magic can either...

A. Use anywhere from $32M to $43M in cap space (depending on what they do with Ingles) right now to add to a team that would include Isaac and Moe.

or

B. Wait a year and only have 30M in cap space for the summer of 2025, except Isaac and Moe Wagner (in addition Ingles and whoever they sign for 1 year deals to preserve the cap space this summer) will both be gone.

Option A seems more appealing to me. Just my two cents.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,215

Post#962 » by SOUL » Tue May 21, 2024 12:42 am

AB and Fultz last year were probably comparable - AB better defense, shooting, Fultz better at getting inside the defense and penetration, having some mid-range.

Harris had a down year shooting and was still 44/37 with several months of around 50/40 WITH defense. Jett was struggling on percentages in G-League. Definitely has a higher offensive ceiling but was not getting enough touches to make a difference this last season.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 747

Post#963 » by RichCollab » Tue May 21, 2024 1:25 am

SOUL wrote:AB and Fultz last year were probably comparable - AB better defense, shooting, Fultz better at getting inside the defense and penetration, having some mid-range.

Harris had a down year shooting and was still 44/37 with several months of around 50/40 WITH defense. Jett was struggling on percentages in G-League. Definitely has a higher offensive ceiling but was not getting enough touches to make a difference this last season.

Black started 15 more games and started 25 more games than Fultz. I would argue Fultz was healthy for a max of 10 games this year.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,962

Post#964 » by RookieStar » Tue May 21, 2024 3:11 am

Hmmmm we appearantly are in the top 5 to win the Josh Giddey trade sweepstakes... really? I like him as a player but what does Vegas know that we dont? Lol
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,424

Post#965 » by MagicMatic » Tue May 21, 2024 4:05 am

RookieStar wrote:Hmmmm we appearantly are in the top 5 to win the Josh Giddey trade sweepstakes... really? I like him as a player but what does Vegas know that we dont? Lol

Everyone knows Orlando needs someone to run the offense and he’s tall for a point guard, which Weltman likes. I just think there are better options since we also need shooting and some kind of defense.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 747

Post#966 » by RichCollab » Tue May 21, 2024 4:16 am

RookieStar wrote:Hmmmm we appearantly are in the top 5 to win the Josh Giddey trade sweepstakes... really? I like him as a player but what does Vegas know that we dont? Lol

We are going to be link to everyone and anyone.

I don’t buy any of it.
meatwad4343
Bench Warmer
And1: 307

Post#967 » by meatwad4343 » Tue May 21, 2024 6:14 am

RichCollab wrote:

I don’t buy any of it.

Why would we want another guard who can't shoot? Fit makes zero sense
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,277

Post#968 » by cedric76 » Tue May 21, 2024 11:07 am

Knightro wrote:Just to clear up some stuff on the whole "the Magic can have cap space in the summer of 2025" thing.

I am assuming that Franz and Suggs are both getting extended this summer and for the sake of this exercise, I'm gonna say they come in at $60M combined.

The Magic have to spend a little under $20M this summer just to hit the salary floor. Let's say they do that with a pair of 1 year deals at $10M for Fultz and Harris.

So going into the summer of 2025 with a projected salary cap of $155.1M for 25-26...

A. Use anywhere from $32M to $43M in cap space (depending on what they do with Ingles) right now to add to a team that would include Isaac and Moe.

or

B. Wait a year and only have 30M in cap space for the summer of 2025, except Isaac and Moe Wagner (in addition Ingles and whoever they sign for 1 year deals to preserve the cap space this summer) will both be gone.

Not really, we can do like philly did with maxey and not extend suggs and Franz this summer (but agree on an amount).

Then next season you only have their cap holds and have enough Money to sign a max player (like Mitchell)
Draft BPA and send him to G league
keep moe
Sign monk and DE'ANTHONY MELTON
Let chuma+fultz go
Harris on 1+1
Goga on 2+1

unleash Jett
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#969 » by Knightro » Tue May 21, 2024 12:37 pm

cedric76 wrote:
Knightro wrote:Just to clear up some stuff on the whole "the Magic can have cap space in the summer of 2025" thing.

or

Not really, we can do like philly did with maxey and not extend suggs and Franz this summer (but agree on an amount).

Then next season you only have their cap holds and have enough Money to sign a max player (like Mitchell)

I can tell you right now that they’re not going to do that.

The only two reasons why Philadelphia did that was because the A. their entire roster outside of Embiid was on expiring contracts, which is not the case for the Magic, and B. Maxey’s cap hold was like $25M less then his extension amount.

The gap between Suggs’ cap hold and what he’s going to extend for is not wide enough to wait.

It gap would be somewhat significant for Franz, but neither side is motivated to wait. I’m just telling you that right now.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#970 » by Knightro » Tue May 21, 2024 12:49 pm

Suggs’ cap hold for the summer of 2025 is $27.5M, so it makes more sense to extend him.

Franz’ hold is only $21M, so there could be some savings if they wanted to wait, but I don’t think it’s a realistic outcome.

Maxey’s cap hold is just 13 million so Philly is literally saving $25 million by waiting to sign him to his max extension. Not the same situation that Orlando is in.
davey_wavy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#971 » by davey_wavy » Tue May 21, 2024 1:12 pm

Sorry if its been posted already

Brovada has us as favorites to land Brandon Ingram via trade. I know it's just speculation but I wouldn't mind me some BI.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,268

Post#972 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue May 21, 2024 1:24 pm

davey_wavy wrote:Sorry if its been posted already

Brovada has us as favorites to land Brandon Ingram via trade. I know it's just speculation but I wouldn't mind me some BI.

RichCollab wrote:

I don’t buy any of it.

I’m in the believe it when I see it camp. We’re just at the point where we add talent to bolster the roster.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 6,048

Post#973 » by Skybox » Tue May 21, 2024 4:26 pm

Best (potentially) available Centers for this team:
1. Jarrett Allen via trade, $20m per...underrated passer as well as solid rim-protector, rebounder & finisher
2. Claxton via UFA...no more than $20 or he becomes a risk...no shot, no free throws. Elite defender all over the court & finisher
3. Hartenstein via UFA...very solid, no more than $17, imo, physical, smart, not really that dynamic a change, imo, I'd only do it on a team-friendly deal and if WCJ could be a part of a very significant backcourt upgrade.
4. At this point I just stick with WCJ...he's good and can be better, he's capable of 10+ rebs but that's not how this team works
*we could still draft Missi or Ware at #18 and hope one of them becomes Allen or Claxton-like in time
5. Clint Capela, but only as part of a DJM trade...ATL might/should draft Sarr and look to move Capela...I'd still draft a young version to develop as he ages out.

In any case, Center upgrade is WAY below backcourt improvement on the desperate priority list, imo, but we may be able to do both THIS summer.

I'd really like to look at trading back in for another late first. We could draft a Center (with no urgency to play soon) as well as some shooting help...there's quite a few interesting guys in the mid-late first. Maybe Cole Anthony and srps gets us a late first? How aboutC Cole & DEN 25 frp for Kispert & #26? Draft Missi or Ware at #18 and Schiermann at #26
...then, fire up the trade machine and the FA shopping cart.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,054

Post#974 » by The Effect » Tue May 21, 2024 5:12 pm

meatwad4343 wrote:
RichCollab wrote:

I don’t buy any of it.

I mean he shot like 34% on 3 attempts. Not steph, but not exactly markelle numbers

2 years ago, Giddey averaged almost 17/8/6 while shooting 32.5% from 3 ......If Fultz could do that, we would of been a top 4 seed this year

Even this year after a down year he was at 12/6/5 on 47/34/80 shooting......ill take that right now for the right price

Also his passing is exactly what Paolo and Franz need right now

Not sure who people are expecting to find out there, but teams dont just give away elite PG (outside of brunson), so Giddey is probably the best PG we can realistically acquire this offseason (if the rumors are true)
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,236

Post#975 » by tiderulz » Tue May 21, 2024 5:24 pm

The Effect wrote:
meatwad4343 wrote:
RichCollab wrote:

I don’t buy any of it.

I mean he shot like 34% on 3 attempts. Not steph, but not exactly markelle numbers

2 years ago, Giddey averaged almost 17/8/6 while shooting 32.5% from 3 ......If Fultz could do that, we would of been a top 4 seed this year

Even this year after a down year he was at 12/6/5 on 47/34/80 shooting......ill take that right now for the right price

Not sure who people are expecting to find out there, but teams dont just give away elite PG (outside of brunson), so Giddey is probably the best PG we can realistically acquire this offseason (if the rumors are true)

dont forget his bad defense
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 5,092

Post#976 » by Ducklett » Tue May 21, 2024 5:47 pm

tiderulz wrote:
The Effect wrote:
meatwad4343 wrote:

dont forget his bad defense

He would have to be REALLY cheap and be the in the gym with Suggs so he isn't like minus 10 on the court because of his defense. The Dallas series showed that when it gets real you can't even have him on the floor.
MagicTownBaller
Veteran
And1: 420

Post#977 » by MagicTownBaller » Tue May 21, 2024 6:05 pm

Read on Twitter
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,424

Post#978 » by MagicMatic » Tue May 21, 2024 6:12 pm

MagicTownBaller wrote:
Read on Twitter

So what you are saying is that we need to somehow land Jrue, Caruso, or White. I agree.
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,943

Post#979 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Tue May 21, 2024 6:29 pm

Since when does the Magic let anyone know who they are interested in?
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 6,048

Post#980 » by Skybox » Tue May 21, 2024 6:29 pm

Everybody we propose can't ALL be the worst defender in history, can they?

Team defense > individual defense and it's compounded when you have two guys that should be All-Defense 1st team next season

I don't like Giddey stepping in as the only change (although it would be a big improvement and, potentially, a massive improvement - if the ball starts moving and shots are made easier for all), but he might be gotten for not a whole lot. He's very young, very tall, and gifted with BBIQ beyond his years...I could absolutely see him being one of those crafty, make the right play guys...even if he's not meeting guys at the rim on highlight reels. Not sure how I'd integrate a backcourt of Suggs & Monk, with Giddey, AB, and Jett...that's a lot of interesting talent mixes. Also, AB and Giddey could certainly play anywhere from 1-4, which makes for fascinating versatility. Look how good Ingles looked...even with such physical limitations - I think Giddey has that kind of "connector" career ahead of him and that the shooting (which does exist-so it's not a total lack) will come around, even if he's not a sniper.

I don't think we have a shot at Monk if we're talking 6th man...but maybe Giddey is the 6th man?

Trade WCJ straight up for Giddey (I think that's an awesome trade for OKC, despite trade thread responses :lol: )
Trade Cole Anthony (he's out of a job anyway unless Eyriq is WAyyy off about AB & Jett) to WAS for #26, or NY for #24 or #25
...perhaps add DEN 25 to Cole and take back Kispert and #26?
Draft best center at #18 (Missi or Ware) and draft BPA (who can shoot and, maybe, jump right in) like Schiermann at #26, Shannon?
Sign Claxton to $20m x 4
Sign Monk to $22 x 4 (both as descending as much as possible)

What a Summer...and none of these are individually outrageous or, imo, unfair for either side, based on needs

Return to Orlando Magic