ImageImageImageImage

Official UCF Sports Thread - Basketball: NIT Bid? Football: Spring Practice Underway

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,178

Re: UCF Football @ Tulane 

Post#981 » by tiderulz » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:21 pm

Xatticus wrote:
UCFJayBird wrote:IMO it should be less "he shouldn't have been in there!" to "this is another reason why they should be able to receive some sort of compensation while in college"

I hope he had an insurance policy. I know they are a thing. I don't know how commonplace they are. Even if they aren't very common, surely Tagovailoa would be among the exceptions.

For what it's worth, college athletes are compensated, especially if they are on scholarship. I've read the stories about the financial difficulties some athletes have had to face. I'm rather skeptical based on my experiences. There was always an abundance of facilities and privileges afforded to athletes. Student athletes aren't supposed to be afforded privileges that aren't available to all other students.

I believe scholarships should be guaranteed for a certain number of years and I don't see any reason why there should be restrictions as to when a player becomes eligible for a professional draft, but I don't see any reason why this injury should serve as an example for why schools should further compensate their student athletes.

i do believe football athletes should get some more compensation, but to say they get nothing is a slap in the face to everyone else (me included) who had to pay for college (either parents, loans in my case, etc) they have access to tutors to help them in all facets, clothing, dorms, meals, get to meet top level sports reporters, get name recognition. To anyone that says they get nothing is asinine.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,442

Post#982 » by UCFJayBird » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:23 pm

tiderulz wrote:
nymets1 wrote:UCF Football twitter page has the clip up of College Gameday at UCF last year. There was no way College Gameday was coming to UCF this year when we don't have a high caliber opponent on our schedule. If we don't get Cincy/SMU or Memphis at home there's no way College Gameday is coming.

For 2020 we do Cincinnati at home and that's probably our 1 game chance at getting College Gameday to come next year. If they don't come for UCF vs Cincinnati, there's no way they are coming for any of our other opponents because we don't play SMU or Memphis at home.

didnt Game day start the season in Orlando?

At Disney for the UF/Miami game.

Xatticus wrote:
UCFJayBird wrote:IMO it should be less "he shouldn't have been in there!" to "this is another reason why they should be able to receive some sort of compensation while in college"

I hope he had an insurance policy. I know they are a thing. I don't know how commonplace they are. Even if they aren't very common, surely Tagovailoa would be among the exceptions.

For what it's worth, college athletes are compensated, especially if they are on scholarship. I've read the stories about the financial difficulties some athletes have had to face. I'm rather skeptical based on my experiences. There was always an abundance of facilities and privileges afforded to athletes. Student athletes aren't supposed to be afforded privileges that aren't available to all other students.

I believe scholarships should be guaranteed for a certain number of years and I don't see any reason why there should be restrictions as to when a player becomes eligible for a professional draft, but I don't see any reason why this injury should serve as an example for why schools should further compensate their student athletes.

Yea not sure on the insurance. I'm sure his medical bills are covered, just not sure about anything beyond that.

As far as compensation, athletes (specifically football) on scholarship certainly don't have it as bad as some stories and writers would lead to believe. But it's certainly not close to the equitable share they deserve IMO.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#983 » by tiderulz » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:23 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Xatticus wrote:

i do believe football athletes should get some more compensation, but to say they get nothing is a slap in the face to everyone else (me included) who had to pay for college (either parents, loans in my case, etc) they have access to tutors to help them in all facets, clothing, dorms, meals, get to meet top level sports reporters, get name recognition. To anyone that says they get nothing is asinine.

just found out Tua did have an insurance policy, though i dont know how much it was, but good for him.
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#984 » by nymets1 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:27 am

With Tua out, Hopefully that means that Alabama loses again so they don't get into the college football playoff. I was very happy LSU beat Alabama so I need one more team to step up and beat Alabama and than Alabama won't get in with 2 losses.

Saturday at noon will be interesting with UCF playing Tulane and there's Ohio State vs Penn State which I want to see too.

I would like to see more of us get a UCF sign on their car and the UCF license plate. I did my license plate renewal on halloween and I got the UCF license plate. I think UCF is now 3rd in the state with amount of people that have a UCF license plate, Florida Gators are #1 with most license plates and #2 is Florida State.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
nymets1
Head Coach

Post#985 » by nymets1 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:51 pm

What was the difference between losing at Tulsa but got the win at Tulane? I thought Tulane was a harder opponent for us than Tulsa? Is it because Tulsa was a night game and it was cold but Tulane was a noon game? 1 more regular season vs USF than I hope for our bowl game we get to play (Miami, FSU or get a revenge game back with PITT)

tiderulz
RealGM

Post#986 » by tiderulz » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:17 am

nymets1 wrote:With Tua out, Hopefully that means that Alabama loses again so they don't get into the college football playoff. I was very happy LSU beat Alabama so I need one more team to step up and beat Alabama and than Alabama won't get in with 2 losses.

Saturday at noon will be interesting with UCF playing Tulane and there's Ohio State vs Penn State which I want to see too.

I would like to see more of us get a UCF sign on their car and the UCF license plate. I did my license plate renewal on halloween and I got the UCF license plate. I think UCF is now 3rd in the state with amount of people that have a UCF license plate, Florida Gators are #1 with most license plates and #2 is Florida State.

whaaa?? :nonono:

dont worry, even if we beat Auburn, they wont put Bama in.

not sure why the Bama hate, but okay i guess
nymets1
Head Coach

Post#987 » by nymets1 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:39 am

tiderulz wrote:
nymets1 wrote:With Tua out, Hopefully that means that Alabama loses again so they don't get into the college football playoff. I was very happy LSU beat Alabama so I need one more team to step up and beat Alabama and than Alabama won't get in with 2 losses.

Um I like you on here so I was hoping you wouldn't respond to my post. Its no secret that a lot of people that are non Alabama fans have them as their non favorite college team.

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,857

Post#988 » by Knightro » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:44 am

A win is a win is a win. Don’t care if it’s by 1 or 100.

Never ever going to complain about a road win. Especially when they’ve lost three heartbreakers on the road already.

Obviously there have been some disappointments this season, but if 10-3 is the new standard for a “down” year, that’s a pretty good spot to be in overall.

Beat South Florida!
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#989 » by craig01 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:21 pm

Knightro wrote:A win is a win is a win. Don’t care if it’s by 1 or 100.

Never ever going to complain about a road win. Especially when they’ve lost three heartbreakers on the road already.

Obviously there have been some disappointments this season, but if 10-3 is the new standard for a “down” year, that’s a pretty good spot to be in overall.

Beat South Florida!

What many, including me, fail to remember is that the 2019 team is extremely young.

If Ucf ends up at 10-3, then the season would be a huge success.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#990 » by Knightro » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:52 pm

craig01 wrote:What many, including me, fail to remember is that the 2019 team is extremely young.

They're really not losing very much.

They only have 17 seniors on the roster period. Of those 17, only 6 are significant contributors - Adrian Killins, Jordan Johnson, Jake Brown, Nate Evans, Nevelle Clarke and Brendon Hayes.

Gabe Davis will go to the NFL, but he's the only one leaving early it would appear.

So really only 6 of 22 starters are leaving.

UCF will be loaded offensively again, especially if Gabriel takes a Year 2 leap like so many QBs often do.

But I think defensively they can get even better too with all the young DL and LB they've been developing this year.

I would say they're absolutely in a position to win the American next year.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,076

Re: UCF Football vs South Florida 

Post#991 » by UCF » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:08 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#992 » by tiderulz » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:21 am

nymets1 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

Um I like you on here so I was hoping you wouldn't respond to my post. Its no secret that a lot of people that are non Alabama fans have them as their non favorite college team.

lol, its all good. if i wasnt a Bama fan/alum, i would probably be tired of them too.
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 5,071

Post#993 » by Ducklett » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:55 am

tiderulz wrote:
nymets1 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:whaaa?? :nonono:

lol, its all good. if i wasnt a Bama fan/alum, i would probably be tired of them too.

Wait, everyone is hating on you guys all the time and not us UF fans like on the CFB reddit? FINALLY!

UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,442

Post#994 » by UCFJayBird » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:31 pm

Knightro wrote:
craig01 wrote:What many, including me, fail to remember is that the 2019 team is extremely young.

They only have 17 seniors on the roster period. Of those 17, only 6 are significant contributors - Adrian Killins, Jordan Johnson, Jake Brown, Nate Evans, Nevelle Clarke and Brendon Hayes.

Gabe Davis will go to the NFL, but he's the only one leaving early it would appear.

UCF will be loaded offensively again, especially if Gabriel takes a Year 2 leap like so many QBs often do.

But I think defensively they can get even better too with all the young DL and LB they've been developing this year.

For some reason I thought Otis was a senior too, glad to see I was wrong! :D

Anyone see this for the FSU fans?

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/seminoles/2019/11/25/willie-taggart-never-signed-a-final-contract-heres-why-it-could-matter/

Willie might not get his entire buyout because his agent sucks, lol.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#995 » by Knightro » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:04 pm

If I'm Danny White, I'm doing literally whatever I can to try a get a bowl matchup with Miami or Florida State.

I'm sure both of those teams would prefer that to not be the case, but I'd still try.
nymets1
Head Coach

Post#996 » by nymets1 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:45 am

Knightro wrote:

All 3 losses were very close losses( Pitt by 1 point, Cincy and Tulsa losses each by 3 points) Combined 7 points from the 3 losses

The only guys that we'll really miss are Killins, Evans and Gabe Davis. JJ, Brown, Clarke and Hayes are easily replaceable. It be hard to replace Killins, Evans and Davis.

The UCF standard now is try to win every game to go undefeated, be deep at each position and win the AAC every year.

nymets1
Head Coach

Post#997 » by nymets1 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:47 am

Knightro wrote:If I'm Danny White, I'm doing literally whatever I can to try a get a bowl matchup with Miami or Florida State.

I'm sure both of those teams would prefer that to not be the case, but I'd still try.

Exactly Miami or Florida State or even a revenge game with Pitt. Those are the only 3 teams I have interest in playing in the bowl game. If we don't want to play in the bowl game, I think we have the option of declining the bowl game if we don't get (Miami, FSU or Pitt)

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#998 » by craig01 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:31 am

No way Ucf would decline a bowl game.

Most Players like bowl games, and is a reward for a season filled with massive amounts of work

The extra practice time that teams get the end of the season and between the bowl game is also very important.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
nymets1
Head Coach

Post#999 » by nymets1 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:39 am

craig01 wrote:No way Ucf would decline a bowl game.

Most Players like bowl games, and is a reward for a season filled with massive amounts of work

The extra practice time that teams get the end of the season and between the bowl game is also very important.

I don't see any benefit or point of playing a team like Western Kentucky, Marshall or any of these teams that's not (FSU, Miami or Pitt). If we lose in our bowl game to a team that's not any of those 3 teams, UCF is going to look bad. But if they lose to in an state school like FSU, Miami it's ok because in state games are always hard. Pitt is risky because if they were to beat us twice in the same season than people will think that Pitt owns us so playing Pitt again would be very motivating to all our players. But playing Pitt in the bowl game everybody would have high interest.

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1000 » by Knightro » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:05 pm

They’re going to accept whatever bowl game they get offered for sure.

Selfishly I hope it is against a P5 and not a G5.

Return to Orlando Magic