ImageImageImageImage

Official Draft Thread: Prospects Watch

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,200

Re: Official Draft Thread: Prospects Watch 

Post#301 » by thelead » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:18 am

Ben McLemore is a freshman to keep an eye on as well (Kansas). He's on tv on ESPN2 right now.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,200

Post#302 » by thelead » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:26 am

McLemore with a NASTY putback dunk
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,854

Post#303 » by KillMonger » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:36 am

Couldn't watch the UCLA game since i was putting in work(exactly what you're thinking) how did Shabazz look? Did he look ready for the NCAA stage? or was he rattled?
glove1989
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#304 » by glove1989 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:41 am

Bobby Ray wrote:Couldn't watch the UCLA game since i was putting in work(exactly what you're thinking) how did Shabazz look? Did he look ready for the NCAA stage? or was he rattled?

My opinion is that he was actually too comfortable. He seemed to take some ill-advised shots when he should have played into the offense more. Gtown played zone so really they took away his best game (1-on-1 play). When open his shot looked smooth though and he is athletic and seemed to cut alot and try to get open. Its his first game and with some time to adjust to the NCAA game he will be good. Tough to do too much weight in his first game though.
Hail to Pitt!
We Will!
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#305 » by KillMonger » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:47 am

glove1989 wrote:
Bobby Ray wrote:Couldn't watch the UCLA game since i was putting in work(exactly what you're thinking) how did Shabazz look? Did he look ready for the NCAA stage? or was he rattled?

My opinion is that he was actually too comfortable. He seemed to take some ill-advised shots when he should have played into the offense more. Gtown played zone so really they took away his best game (1-on-1 play). When open his shot looked smooth though and he is athletic and seemed to cut alot and try to get open. Its his first game and with some time to adjust to the NCAA game he will be good. Tough to do too much weight in his first game though.

How was his motor? his Body Language? did he look engaged into the game?
glove1989
Freshman

Post#306 » by glove1989 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:51 am

Bobby Ray wrote:
glove1989 wrote:

Yea he seemed to have good effort in my opinion. He got blocked a couple times but that didnt deter him from driving next play down. His motor seems good but like any perimeter player against a zone he sometimes drifted to the three and stood. But a lot of UCLA was doing this (which is why they lost). He had some hustle plays and made a couple of nice passes. A pretty solid game, despite him chucking a little.
Hail to Pitt!
We Will!
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,113

Post#307 » by Def Swami » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:19 am

glove1989 wrote:
Bobby Ray wrote:
glove1989 wrote:

Yea he seemed to have good effort in my opinion. He got blocked a couple times but that didnt deter him from driving next play down. His motor seems good but like any perimeter player against a zone he sometimes drifted to the three and stood. But a lot of UCLA was doing this (which is why they lost). He had some hustle plays and made a couple of nice passes. A pretty solid game, despite him chucking a little.

I agree with everything. He played decently for his first game, but the zone defense minimized his impact.
londoncollin
Bench Warmer
And1: 231

Post#308 » by londoncollin » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:52 am

He's only had a few practices too.
glove1989
Freshman

Post#309 » by glove1989 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:35 am

He played again tonight. Anyone get a chance to him play? How did he look?
Hail to Pitt!
We Will!
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#310 » by Def Swami » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:00 am

Shabazz played really well tonight. Scored 21 points on 6/12 shooting, 4 boards, and 2 steals. He's always in attack mode and that's tough for him in that UCLA system that's based on Ben Howland's set offenses. This might just be me, but I don't think Shabazz is really that athletic. He doesn't look like he has the best vert or quickest first step. At the same time, he defends very well.
Noonskadoodle
Lead Assistant
And1: 197

Post#311 » by Noonskadoodle » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:02 am

Not a prospect but LOLLLL

Jack Taylor scored 138 points to shatter the NCAA scoring record in Division III Grinnell's 179-104 victory over Faith Baptist Bible on Tuesday night.

Taylor made 27 of 71 3-point attempts, was 52 of 108 overall from the field and added seven free throws on 10 attempts in 36 minutes.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/11/20/500130 ... rylink=cpy
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#312 » by Def Swami » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:22 am

After the first few games of the season, the player I'm most intrigued by is Otto Porter of Georgetown. He has played excellently so far. Been consistent and has played big in big games. Had 18 points on 6/11 shooting, 11 boards, 5 assists, 5 blocks, and 3 steals against UCLA. Tonight, he has 15 points, 5 boards, 4 assists, 2 steals, and 3 blocks against Indiana. At 6'8", he's a pretty good athlete with impressive basketball IQ, good ball handling, and passing. I think he could be a dark horse in the draft.

I enjoy watching players improve their games from year to year. Last year, Thomas Robinson was my favorite player in college ball. I think this year it'll be Otto Porter. I respect how much he has improved from last year.
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#313 » by MagicFan32 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:32 am

21 points on UCLA is like 30 on Kentucky....UCLA's system is horrible for offense i'm kind of surprised Bazz went there TBH. he reminds me of OJ Mayo but I want to see more
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
Noonskadoodle
Lead Assistant
And1: 197

Post#314 » by Noonskadoodle » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:09 pm

KillMonger
RealGM

Post#315 » by KillMonger » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:05 pm

I'm kind of Meh on Otto Porter not as player i think he's great but in terms of being a pick for us i just don't see it because for me he's too similar to Moe Harkless. The player who caught me by surprise is Tony Mitchell i can't lie i'm intrigued by him. 5 games in 16 points 9 rebounds 3 blocks 50% from the field 38% from 3 color me impressed so far. If he can keep that up or improve it then he's moving up on my draft board didn't think he could put up those kind of shooting numbers and i hear he's a beast defensively, Intriguing very intriguing
Truth24
Starter
And1: 443

Post#316 » by Truth24 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:12 pm

Bobby Ray wrote:I'm kind of Meh on Otto Porter not as player i think he's great but in terms of being a pick for us i just don't see it because for me he's too similar to Moe Harkless. The player who caught me by surprise is Tony Mitchell i can't lie i'm intrigued by him. 5 games in 16 points 9 rebounds 3 blocks 50% from the field 38% from 3 color me impressed so far. If he can keep that up or improve it then he's moving up on my draft board didn't think he could put up those kind of shooting numbers and i hear he's a beast defensively, Intriguing very intriguing

I really love Tony Mitchell and Alex Poythress but they are both more of a four right now then a three and do we really need another four.
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#317 » by KillMonger » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:17 pm

Truth24 wrote:
Bobby Ray wrote:I'm kind of Meh on Otto Porter not as player i think he's great but in terms of being a pick for us i just don't see it because for me he's too similar to Moe Harkless. The player who caught me by surprise is Tony Mitchell i can't lie i'm intrigued by him. 5 games in 16 points 9 rebounds 3 blocks 50% from the field 38% from 3 color me impressed so far. If he can keep that up or improve it then he's moving up on my draft board didn't think he could put up those kind of shooting numbers and i hear he's a beast defensively, Intriguing very intriguing

I really love Tony Mitchell and Alex Poythress but they are both more of a four right now then a three and do we really need another four.

Do we need another 4? who knows really i mean it depends on who's still here after the deadline because i expect A LOT of changes when the deadline approaches so i think that question is better served at that point but you're right i'm tired of log jams at one position but if we don't have anyone behind Nicholson then why not? if you gave me a choice between Porter and Mitchell then it's Mitchell all day for me since i already have Harkless. At the end of the day Mitchell isn't even in my top 5 choices right now but who knows where it'll go the season is still young
Truth24
Starter
And1: 443

Post#318 » by Truth24 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:49 pm

This is what my top five propsect looks like right now.

1. Cody Zeller, Indiana
2. Jordan Adams, UCLA
3. Shabazz Muhammad, UCLA
4. Alex Len, Maryland
5. Alex Poythress, Kentucky

Guys to keep an eye out for are Tony Mithcell (beast), Otto Porter (beast), LeBryan Nash (beast), Anthony Bennett (beast), Marcus Smart, Glenn Robinson III, Ben Mclemore, and Isaiah Austin.
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#319 » by KillMonger » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:45 pm

Tony Mitchell's Scouting Video
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6tNGmh3ieE&feature=g-user-u[/youtube]
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#320 » by Def Swami » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:33 am

Haven't seen enough Tony Mitchell on television to make a judgement about him. Stats look good, but no way will he be able to play PF at 6'8" in the NBA. Got to learn to play on the perimeter.

So far I've liked Marcus Smart, Otto Porter, and Alex Poythress from what I've seen. I hear good things about Mitchell and Bennet but haven't seen it for myself yet.

Return to Orlando Magic