ImageImageImageImage

Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX"Reg. Season"Ed.)

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,159

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX"Reg. Season"Ed.) 

Post#201 » by OrlChamps2030 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:16 pm

Bobby Ray wrote:I think the key is flexibility, i believe with the moves Henny made he gave us some flexibility to do some damage in both the Draft and Free Agency. When it comes to the Draft though it's all about scouting, if your scouting department is good enough you can find talent anywhere:

Tony Parker
Manu Ginobli
Rashard Lewis
Monta Ellis
Micheal Redd
Gilbert Arenas
Mehmet Okur
Carlos Boozer
Luis Scola
Marcin Gortat
Paul Milsap
Marc Gasol

All those players are/were late first to second round picks and those guys have talent whether they are balling currently or years ago when in their prime. The talent is there for the taking but scouting is key, hopefully Henny takes it more seriously than Otis did.

Great list. The list of good players drafted in the 10-20 range is probably even longer. I trust Hennigan to draft well no matter our position (until he loses that trust).
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,649

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX 

Post#202 » by thelead » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:45 pm

Zmill wrote:
thelead wrote:
Zmill wrote:So what do you think about Harkless, Nicholson, and Vucevic being drafted late in the first? They were drafted on mediocore/playoff teams.

So those guys are going to lead us to a championship? Adding another one of those guys isn't going to get us there either. Now, drafting the next Durant or LeBron might. Unless, of course, you think we can sign Durant or LeBron. Then I'm all for your plan.

So you found a plan that ensures a team to get the #1 pic? You should have sent your resume to MJ last year, he probably would have paid you millions.

Have there not been plenty of all-stars drafted after the top 10?

And I am curious - in the past 10-15 years outside of the Thunder what teams have successfully became championship contenders after tanking for a few years? I don't know the answer to this question, I am just wondering if you can answer it for me. I'm curious.

Cleveland was a championship contender after tanking for LeBron. Orlando was a championship contender after tanking for Dwight. That's how it works. And no, I can't guarantee a #1 pick but I CAN guarantee that we won't win building around the roster we have and giving players like Jameer $9 mil per without having a championship team already built.

Yeah, there have been plenty of all-stars drafted after the top 10 but how many of them win a championship without a top 10 pick on their team. Not many (actually none in last 20 years, at least).
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,401

Post#203 » by Bensational » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:55 pm

Zmill wrote:
thelead wrote:
Zmill wrote:So what do you think about Harkless, Nicholson, and Vucevic being drafted late in the first? They were drafted on mediocore/playoff teams.

So those guys are going to lead us to a championship? Adding another one of those guys isn't going to get us there either. Now, drafting the next Durant or LeBron might. Unless, of course, you think we can sign Durant or LeBron. Then I'm all for your plan.

So you found a plan that ensures a team to get the #1 pic? You should have sent your resume to MJ last year, he probably would have paid you millions.

And I am curious - in the past 10-15 years outside of the Thunder what teams have successfully became championship contenders after tanking for a few years? I don't know the answer to this question, I am just wondering if you can answer it for me. I'm curious.

i think it's important that we bring in the best talent we can, no matter where we're drafting, but i think it's also pretty undeniable that there are very few real difference makers who can lead a team to the finals, and those guys generally aren't drafted with picks outside the top 10.

Shaq, Duncan, LeBron, Wade, Dirk, Durant, KG, Paul Pierce, Dwight, etc.

There are certainly exceptions, but that's exactly what they are - exceptions. Kobe was late lottery, but he also needed a former #1 and then a former #2 + #4 pick to get it done.

And that doesn't even begin to account for the Bosh's and Ray Allen's who are top 5 picks, but still played secondary roles to on championship teams.

I'm not saying that this means we should tank, just saying that by looking to build a championship team through late lottery picks will most certainly be taking a more challenging road. We would certainly need a plan to find a player of the above calibre either through free agency or trade, if that's what we're doing.

Zmill wrote:
Bobby Ray wrote:I think the key is flexibility, i believe with the moves Henny made he gave us some flexibility to do some damage in both the Draft and Free Agency. When it comes to the Draft though it's all about scouting, if your scouting department is good enough you can find talent anywhere:

Tony Parker
Manu Ginobli
Rashard Lewis
Monta Ellis
Micheal Redd
Gilbert Arenas
Mehmet Okur
Carlos Boozer
Luis Scola
Marcin Gortat
Paul Milsap
Marc Gasol

All those players are/were late first to second round picks and those guys have talent whether they are balling currently or years ago when in their prime. The talent is there for the taking but scouting is key, hopefully Henny takes it more seriously than Otis did.

Great list. The list of good players drafted in the 10-20 range is probably even longer. I trust Hennigan to draft well no matter our position (until he loses that trust).

They're all great players, and i'm pretty confident Hennigan will be the type of GM to add names to that list as well. But we really need to find a franchise player to build around before we stock up on too many of those pieces, or else we'll be a middle tier team, stocked with allstar/borderline allstar talent, with a very small window of opportunity to land a legit difference maker - like Denver.

Can't say I've got a plan to land one of those guys, short of trading for as many lottery picks in next year's draft as possible, via whatever means possible, and hoping we can land Wiggins and a couple more studs.

**EDIT: oh, and after all that, i'd probably be happier if we made the playoffs this year than make an effort to tank for players that aren't convincing star quality yet. but i'd still like to know that we've got a plan to find and land a difference maker within the next 3 years.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,159

Post#204 » by OrlChamps2030 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:11 am

Bensational wrote:
Zmill wrote:
thelead wrote:

i think it's important that we bring in the best talent we can, no matter where we're drafting, but i think it's also pretty undeniable that there are very few real difference makers who can lead a team to the finals, and those guys generally aren't drafted with picks outside the top 10.

Shaq, Duncan, LeBron, Wade, Dirk, Durant, KG, Paul Pierce, Dwight, etc.

There are certainly exceptions, but that's exactly what they are - exceptions. Kobe was late lottery, but he also needed a former #1 and then a former #2 + #4 pick to get it done.

And that doesn't even begin to account for the Bosh's and Ray Allen's who are top 5 picks, but still played secondary roles to on championship teams.

I'm not saying that this means we should tank, just saying that by looking to build a championship team through late lottery picks will most certainly be taking a more challenging road. We would certainly need a plan to find a player of the above calibre either through free agency or trade, if that's what we're doing.

Zmill wrote:

Tony Parker
Manu Ginobli
Rashard Lewis
Monta Ellis
Micheal Redd
Gilbert Arenas
Mehmet Okur
Carlos Boozer
Luis Scola
Marcin Gortat
Paul Milsap
Marc Gasol

They're all great players, and i'm pretty confident Hennigan will be the type of GM to add names to that list as well. But we really need to find a franchise player to build around before we stock up on too many of those pieces, or else we'll be a middle tier team, stocked with allstar/borderline allstar talent, with a very small window of opportunity to land a legit difference maker - like Denver.

Can't say I've got a plan to land one of those guys, short of trading for as many lottery picks in next year's draft as possible, via whatever means possible, and hoping we can land Wiggins and a couple more studs.

I definitely agree with you guys that superstars are found in the first 5 picks. I just don't like the idea that tanking is seen as the only answer to rebuilding. I would say most teams who tank get stuck in mediocrity. Drafting a semi-bust at #1 can get you stuck in mediocrity just like other ways of rebuilding can. I'm just not sure I see us going into full-on tank mode with a new arena and all. The NBA is a business man.

We'll have to see how the rest of the season plays out. I just don't like the idea/mindset that the direction we are currently going in HAS to lead to mediocrity.

And I probably wouldn't bank on getting Wiggins.. Toronto is not looking very good and the Kings are probably going to move to a new city. I am sure the NBA will keep that in mind.
thelead
RealGM

Post#205 » by thelead » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:28 am

The key is to draft well once you start tanking AND keep your cap situation flexible. Ideally you land at least 1 star in your tank years and just before everything starts clicking you load up on good/great free agent vets to push you into contention.
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#206 » by Cigamodnalro » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:36 am

thelead wrote:The key is to draft well once you start tanking AND keep your cap situation flexible. Ideally you land at least 1 star in your tank years and just before everything starts clicking you load up on good/great free agent vets to push you into contention.

Yup. Sure glad Otis Smith isn't our GM for this rebuild
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
Cigamodnalro
RealGM

Post#207 » by Cigamodnalro » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:05 am

Most of us already suspected as much, but this was printed in the NY Daily News today:
The Hawks offered up Al Horford as part of a strong push to acquire Dwight Howard in August, according to Lawrence, who notes the Hawks will have enough cap flexibility to pursue the Atlanta native when he becomes an unrestricted free agent in the offseason.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,077

Post#208 » by bigdogdylan5 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:16 am

Sorry thelead but that is so unlikely your expecting to get Wiggins next year so u are putting all your hope in gettin the number one pick. Wat this team is right now is building a strong winning culture with smart teaching and smart draft picks i really like this team they might not be bad enough to get a top pick but there is a great mix of youth and experienced Vets to teach them and to establish that culture it is more sustainable than prayin for a number one pick. I was listening a conversation the other day on espn radio with Legler and Bruce Bowen dicussing the really young teams and how that is not at all what you should be doing. They said you need to build with "Smart" vets mixed with youth to build a great culture which is exactly wat Henny and Vaughn want to do. We want to be the Spurs not the Wizards, Raptors, Bobcats, NO all these really young non sustaining teams
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
thelead
RealGM

Post#209 » by thelead » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:20 am

bigdogdylan5 wrote:Sorry thelead but that is so unlikely your expecting to get Wiggins next year so u are putting all your hope in gettin the number one pick. Wat this team is right now is building a strong winning culture with smart teaching and smart draft picks i really like this team they might not be bad enough to get a top pick but there is a great mix of youth and experienced Vets to teach them and to establish that culture it is more sustainable than prayin for a number one pick. I was listening a conversation the other day on espn radio with Legler and Bruce Bowen dicussing the really young teams and how that is not at all what you should be doing. They said you need to build with "Smart" vets mixed with youth to build a great culture which is exactly wat Henny and Vaughn want to do. We want to be the Spurs not the Wizards, Raptors, Bobcats, NO all these really young non sustaining teams

Spurs ARE the Spurs because they landed the number 1 pick and took Duncan. They win NOTHING without that number 1 pick. Deal with the facts man. You can win without drafting number 1 but you better have a great recruiter to steal someone else's number 1 pick when they become a free agent (ala Pat Riley and LeBron James).
Cigamodnalro
RealGM

Post#210 » by Cigamodnalro » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:41 am

Magic trade: Arron Afflalo, E'Twaun Moore
Kings trade: Tyreke Evans, Aaron Brooks
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,816

Post#211 » by RookieStar » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:00 am

Cigamodnalro wrote:Magic trade: Arron Afflalo, E'Twaun Moore

I dunno cig.. it's just that seeing AA...i'm finally confident when I see our SG driving and laying up in the lane wehter through traffic or on a fastbreak. This is esp true since we had VC or JRich before where they more often than not blow the layup.

So dunno about trading AA
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,186

Post#212 » by cedric76 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:24 am

We need a PG an other PG, level always drop when he is on the bench

Moore is a guard not a real PG
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,186

Post#213 » by cedric76 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:25 am

RookieStar wrote:
Cigamodnalro wrote:Magic trade: Arron Afflalo, E'Twaun Moore

I dunno cig.. it's just that seeing AA...i'm finally confident when I see our SG driving and laying up in the lane wehter through traffic or on a fastbreak. This is esp true since we had VC or JRich before where they more often than not blow the layup.

So dunno about trading AA

AA brings a lot to this team, in energy , leadership and D, however i think he over do things in Offense which often leads to TO
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,816

Post#214 » by RookieStar » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:50 am

^^ maybe so... but for me he is more efficient than our past 2 starting shooting guards.
magic_turk
Veteran
And1: 4

Post#215 » by magic_turk » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:51 am

Don't know why anyone wants to trade AA, dude is baller I love watching him drive to the hoop so refreshing lol
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#216 » by MagicFan32 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:58 am

if we could move out Afflalo in a deal for Dwill, i'd like to see us pursue OJ Mayo, and draft Burke or Marcus Smart and it wouldn't really hurt our future capspace at all.
13/14 lineup

Vucc/KOQ
Nicholson/Dwill
Hedo/Harkless
Mayo/Etwaun
Nelson/Smart or Burke

TBD: Trading JJ, and BBD , we would likely have another first rounder if we trade JJ, my idea is to Utah for their GSW 1st,.

I guess the jist of my idea is Mayo is an upgrade over Afflalo at about similar money, Dwill comes in and splits time in our big rotation, makes us younger and more athletic, and we still have all our capspace for 14 or 15.
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#217 » by MagicStarwipe » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:49 pm

I like Afflalo for the most part. He can sometimes get a tad too selfish, but that I kind of understand. Also he hates passing the ball to anyone other than Jameer, Baby and JJ.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
Cigamodnalro
RealGM

Post#218 » by Cigamodnalro » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:07 pm

I like Afflalo for the most part too. I also like Redick for the most part. They're both above average role players. I just would hate to see the front office give them a combined $15,500,000 after this offseason. That's roughly LeBron money. I really do think we have to trade one or the other, and I'd love to bring in someone younger in return.

Evans is only 23 (one year older than Nicholson), and if the price is Afflalo, I think I'd take the bait.
Cigamodnalro
RealGM

Post#219 » by Cigamodnalro » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:35 pm

Harkless averaging more BPG than Al Horford, Nikola Pekovic, Kendrick Perkins, LeBron James, Gerald Wallace, Paul Millsap, Blake Griffin, Tristan Thompson, Kevin Garnett, Greg Monroe, Anderson Varejao, Enes Kanter, Marcus Camby, Festus Ezeli, Meyers Leonard, Hasheem Thabeet, and 90% of the league. He ranks in the T10% after last night.
thelead
RealGM

Post#220 » by thelead » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:54 pm

MagicFan32 wrote:if we could move out Afflalo in a deal for Dwill, i'd like to see us pursue OJ Mayo, and draft Burke or Marcus Smart and it wouldn't really hurt our future capspace at all.
13/14 lineup

Vucc/KOQ
Nicholson/Dwill
Hedo/Harkless
Mayo/Etwaun
Nelson/Smart or Burke

TBD: Trading JJ, and BBD , we would likely have another first rounder if we trade JJ, my idea is to Utah for their GSW 1st,.

I guess the jist of my idea is Mayo is an upgrade over Afflalo at about similar money, Dwill comes in and splits time in our big rotation, makes us younger and more athletic, and we still have all our capspace for 14 or 15.

That team looks like an 6th-8th seed. What is the plan to get us into contention? Adding any free agent from the 2015 pool doesn't get it done.

Return to Orlando Magic