ImageImageImageImage

If the Magic get a top draft pick, who should they take?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Who should they take?

Nerlens Noel
21%
Ben McLemore
23%
Shabazz Muhammad
15%
Marcus Smart
28%
Cody Zeller
1%
Otto Porter
1%
Anthony Bennett
4%
Other
7%

Total votes: 137

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Re: If the Magic get a top draft pick, who should they take? 

Post#81 » by Skin » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:29 pm

Bennett would be a 4 but there's no need to cookie cut players into positions. The NBA is diverse in successful players. People knocking his defense are really overexaggerating it. He averages 1.2 blocks per game. So at least there is some substance there. Not like he's the Carlos Boozer of defenders. Speaking of which the NBA is FULL of undersized PFs who are good and prototypial sized PFs who aren't good. This game is not about height. Look at Bennett's ball skills, coordination, natural feel for the game. It's at an advanced level for a guy that big and that young.

Take a guy like Noel who scouts love because of his raw measurements... he needs to learn the game, learn how to use his body, learn the muscle memory for the mechanics of the game... he's got a high bust factor cause the game doesn't come easily to him. Bennett on the other hand, already understands and has a natural feel for the game... he just needs to be let loose offensively. That's why his bust factor is low. Learning to be more committed to D is a lot easier than learning how to be a natural scorer/ball handler.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,882

Post#82 » by drsd » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:10 am

magicaroni wrote:My top 5 at this point look like this:

1) McElmore
2) Shabazz
3) Bennett
4) Noel
5) (God help us if we get stuck with pick 5 or lower)

I am pleased that your list has neither Smart nor Zeller. I project both as very high end journey men. Both look to be 10 year vets that bounce around the league as marginal starers - to - good bench guys. (both will help a team be better, but I see neither as a stud). That is, I see these as 5-to-8 men on a team of a 10-man rotation.

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,882

Post#83 » by drsd » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:45 am

Skin wrote:Smart as a career backup? Now that's golden... but then to say we can trade Jameer Nelson and somehow get Trey Burke??? Now THAT'S GOLDEN!!! HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

I think you can only get this kind of stuff on real gm's magic forum. HAAHHAHAAH

It is always better to pick on the post than the poster.

So:

1) In what specific ways do you project Smart to be anything more than an above-average back-up combo-guard?
I see Smart as a very high end version of E'Twaun Moore.

2) Burke has exactly the tools to run the pick-and-roll and jack-up 3 as Nelson had out of college. Why is that not worth a #15-20 selection?
I project Burke as a marginal starting-level PG, which is fantastic at the #15-20 range of a weak draft. I also think Burke will have a better overall career than Smart. (only time will tell on that later point)

OrlandoMagician
Junior
And1: 7

Post#84 » by OrlandoMagician » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:48 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5w2T6yqPRk[/youtube]

This guy is quickly rising up my order of preference. Such grown man moves for a freshman. The guy looks like Kevin Garnett in the post, but quicker and more mobile.
Rob Hennigan is smarter than you.
branny
Assistant Coach
And1: 28

Post#85 » by branny » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:35 am

Shame Noel's out
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#86 » by MoMM » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:41 am

Skin wrote:Speaking of which the NBA is FULL of undersized PFs who are good and prototypial sized PFs who aren't good. This game is not about height. Look at Bennett's ball skills, coordination, natural feel for the game. It's at an advanced level for a guy that big and that young.

And what would happen to Andrew Nicholson?

If we draft McL or Shabazz we wouldnt be in the middle of the pack, IMO, we just need to trade JJ or AA, because these rookies wont be better than them in the 1st year, so we would still be really bad and have chances to draft the big prize (Wiggins).
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#87 » by fendilim » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:51 am

Mclemore sucks. Cant create his own shot. He wont take us anywhere near the championship. He is good for playoffs but championship.... Its a different story.

I see him as a black Jj redick, ben gordon etc.

I dont think he can be rayray though. The most of his points comes off screens. Will he be able to do that against taller, quicker and longer NBA players? Jj struggled early in his career, and he was already a superb shooter in college. What more mclemore. His only advantage is his height.
Bigmagicfan82
Starter
And1: 343

Post#88 » by Bigmagicfan82 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:30 pm

MoMM wrote:
Skin wrote:Speaking of which the NBA is FULL of undersized PFs who are good and prototypial sized PFs who aren't good. This game is not about height. Look at Bennett's ball skills, coordination, natural feel for the game. It's at an advanced level for a guy that big and that young.

And what would happen to Andrew Nicholson?

If we draft McL or Shabazz we wouldnt be in the middle of the pack, IMO, we just need to trade JJ or AA, because these rookies wont be better than them in the 1st year, so we would still be really bad and have chances to draft the big prize (Wiggins).

I think Nicholson would be better off the bench as our six man. I wanted Noel at first but that not an option anymore. The only other prospect that impresses me is Bennett. The other guards (Mclemore, Smart, Bazz) just don't impress me. Now this is all based on what i seen on highlight films but if highlights are the best of the player it makes me wonder how good he really is.
magicaroni
Freshman
And1: 9

Post#89 » by magicaroni » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:04 pm

I'm glad to see that I was able to turn a couple of you guys into Bennett supporters lol.

And for what it's worth, Bennett is also from Ontario, just like Andrew Wiggins.

I'm sure those two wouldn't mind reuniting in the NBA.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,116

Post#90 » by Def Swami » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:38 pm

OrlandoMagician wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5w2T6yqPRk[/youtube]

This guy is quickly rising up my order of preference. Such grown man moves for a freshman. The guy looks like Kevin Garnett in the post, but quicker and more mobile.

KG is close to 7'. I'm still skeptical that Bennett will have the same success scoring in the post against the bigger 4's in the NBA. He shoots relatively well from the mid-range, but I have a hard time seeing him score over the big front courts. If he was a beast rebounder, like Charles Barkley in the day, I'd be higher on him. With all that athleticism, he can be too. I just find it troubling that he doesn't commit himself to it.

Interesting prospect, wouldn't rule him out.
IGotDaMagicInMe
Sixth Man
And1: 203

Post#91 » by IGotDaMagicInMe » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:52 pm

magicaroni wrote:I'm glad to see that I was able to turn a couple of you guys into Bennett supporters lol.

And for what it's worth, Bennett is also from Ontario, just like Andrew Wiggins.

I'm sure those two wouldn't mind reuniting in the NBA.

Draft bennett and kabongo, sign dalembert, draft wiggins = All canadian team with Nicholson :lol:
IGotDaMagicInMe
Sixth Man

Post#92 » by IGotDaMagicInMe » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:07 pm

:wink:

Anybody see Bedlam today?
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#93 » by magicman123 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:23 pm

Bennett is a polished player, but i have no interest in drafting him, dont want another small thick PF, lets go perimeter player
IGotDaMagicInMe
Sixth Man

Post#94 » by IGotDaMagicInMe » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:53 pm

magicman123 wrote:Bennett is a polished player, but i have no interest in drafting him, dont want another small thick PF, lets go perimeter player

Yeah, we've already got 2 good young PFs, if there was an elite guy on the board that one thing but there's no obvious guy to take.
CourtsideTV
RealGM
And1: 349

Post#95 » by CourtsideTV » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:11 am

noel or shabazz
Work Hard
OrlandoMagician
Junior

Post#96 » by OrlandoMagician » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:37 am

Smart, McLemore, Shabazz. In that order for me.
OrlandoMagician
Junior

Post#97 » by OrlandoMagician » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:40 am

Here's a question: if we draft Smart, will we bench Jameer? Or trade him?

Top 5 draft picks simply HAVE to start as rookies, or their growth can be stunted.
darthmerrick
Starter
And1: 329

Post#98 » by darthmerrick » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:01 am

I got to go 1.Mclemore, 2.Smart and 3.Mohammed. I weary about taking big men in a weak draft, especially after the best defender Noel just went down with that ACL. There are no Anthony Davis type players after him. Bennett might be a starting PF in this league but it would be a mistake to pass on one of the other three especially when we have Vuc and Nicholson already. You only pick big man when you don't have an option there or the guy is a Tim Duncan/Dwight Howard talent. Don't be fooled my the media trying to hype of Bennett to make a weak draft sound more interesting. There are only 3 prizes.
IGotDaMagicInMe
Sixth Man

Post#99 » by IGotDaMagicInMe » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:10 am

I like Oladipo, Gobert and mcw too, but I dont think we should pick them as high as we probably draft, but theres always a chance we pick 5th and Shebazz, smart, Mclemore are all gone. who would you pick if we absolutely lose out on the lottery and pick 5th or 6th?
BaunceyChillups
Sixth Man
And1: 317

Post#100 » by BaunceyChillups » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:17 am

drsd wrote:
Skin wrote:Smart as a career backup? Now that's golden... but then to say we can trade Jameer Nelson and somehow get Trey Burke??? Now THAT'S GOLDEN!!! HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

I think you can only get this kind of stuff on real gm's magic forum. HAAHHAHAAH

It is always better to pick on the post than the poster.

So:

1) In what specific ways do you project Smart to be anything more than an above-average back-up combo-guard?
I see Smart as a very high end version of E'Twaun Moore.

2) Burke has exactly the tools to run the pick-and-roll and jack-up 3 as Nelson had out of college. Why is that not worth a #15-20 selection?
I project Burke as a marginal starting-level PG, which is fantastic at the #15-20 range of a weak draft. I also think Burke will have a better overall career than Smart. (only time will tell on that later point)

Smart plays absolutely nothing like E'Twaun Moore

your comparisons are consistently terrible

Return to Orlando Magic