ImageImageImageImage

We're following the Spurs model

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Re: We're following the Spurs model 

Post#21 » by Skin » Tue Feb 3, 2015 8:02 am

MasterGMer wrote:You serious?

Yeah. Ready to defend my stance on any issues you want to talk about in particular.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Big A All Day
Head Coach
And1: 678

Post#22 » by Big A All Day » Tue Feb 3, 2015 8:05 am

Elf = tony parker? :lol:
Dipo = manu? :laugh:

But my favorite was...

" ? " = Tim Duncan ... :rofl2:

Come on Skin. Your REALLY reaching here buddy.
Skin
RealGM

Post#23 » by Skin » Tue Feb 3, 2015 8:10 am

Bensational wrote:Seriously though... is Skin a girl? or are we getting catfish'd?

Is this a horny internet investigation?
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Skin
RealGM

Post#24 » by Skin » Tue Feb 3, 2015 8:33 am

Big A All Day wrote:Elf = tony parker? :lol:

But my favorite was...

Well if you think I'm making a direct player comparison between the two side to side, then no, that wasn't the intent here and I pointed that out, so I don't know if you read or not.

If you just saw Elfrid = Parker, etc etc and you thought I was saying X = X then of course I'm not doing that. I openly admit there are a lot of differences between the two. But some of Payton's biggest strengths are his vision, his ball control that allows him to go anywhere on the court and I gotta admit I see flashes whenever I see Elfrid dropping tear drops as he attacks the rim to score. I think he's got a long ways to go to be the shooter that Parker is, but is already a better defender. Parker's BBIQ helps make him the player that he is and that will come with time for Elfrid as he learns the nuances of the game and his nightly opponents.

Not sure why you seem up in arms that Dipo can't be as good as Manu. Maybe you can explain and we can go from there.

? sign is there because we don't have a player in that mold currently on the team. Meaning, a big man who can score face or back to the basket and can rebound and defend. I feel like a guy like Towns could fit that mold, but I'm not trying to say he's the next Tim Duncan. You can attempt to replicate a model, but that doesn't mean you can. You can only fill it the best you can, when you can, if you can.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 578

Post#25 » by MasterGMer » Tue Feb 3, 2015 9:01 am

Skin wrote:

Yeah. Ready to defend my stance on any issues you want to talk about in particular.

So pretty much, Magic is all but set in terms of getting pieces, right?

So how long do you think this team will actually be like Spurs winning Championships?
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#26 » by MasterGMer » Tue Feb 3, 2015 9:04 am

Dipo is no where near Manu's mold.

So is Payton. Dude is a rookie and hasn't really developed yet in NBA. Gordon as Lenoard? No way! How come?
Skin
RealGM

Post#27 » by Skin » Tue Feb 3, 2015 9:47 am

MasterGMer wrote:
Skin wrote:

So pretty much, Magic is all but set in terms of getting pieces, right?

So how long do you think this team will actually be like Spurs winning Championships?

I'm going to try to have a mature conversation here, so I hope the sarcasm can calm down a bit.

I think we have a lot of promising pieces. Only time will tell if they pan out, but as far as our players fitting a similar mold to the Spurs model, yes I think we are close. PF is still a huge hole and we'd need a great talent there, so whether we can pull that off or not, I don't know if "close" is the right word.

This is about seeing a relationship between their players and ours. It's not about saying, "Woo hoo! We'll be in the Finals in 2 years!" These things can take a long time to develop. It was 7 years between the Spurs last 2 championships.
Big A All Day
Head Coach

Post#28 » by Big A All Day » Tue Feb 3, 2015 9:50 am

Skin wrote:

But my favorite was...

Well if you think I'm making a direct player comparison between the two side to side, then no, that wasn't the intent here and I pointed that out, so I don't know if you read or not.

If you just saw Elfrid = Parker, etc etc and you thought I was saying X = X then of course I'm not doing that. I openly admit there are a lot of differences between the two. But some of Payton's biggest strengths are his vision, his ball control that allows him to go anywhere on the court and I gotta admit I see flashes whenever I see Elfrid dropping tear drops as he attacks the rim to score. I think he's got a long ways to go to be the shooter that Parker is, but is already a better defender. Parker's BBIQ helps make him the player that he is and that will come with time for Elfrid as he learns the nuances of the game and his nightly opponents.

Not sure why you seem up in arms that Dipo can't be as good as Manu. Maybe you can explain and we can go from there.

? sign is there because we don't have a player in that mold currently on the team. Meaning, a big man who can score face or back to the basket and can rebound and defend. I feel like a guy like Towns could fit that mold, but I'm not trying to say he's the next Tim Duncan. You can attempt to replicate a model, but that doesn't mean you can. You can only fill it the best you can, when you can, if you can.

Elfrid just went 0-6 a gave up a triple double in 3 quarters tonight. He's scared to go for a layup let alone shoot a jumper and comparing his around the basket efficiency to tony parker is laughable. And honestly, I hope it's just Payton being a rookie or jv's scheme but Payton's defense has left alot to be desired. Throw 1 pick at him and watch his man blow right by. Oh yeah, let's not even talk about free throws lol.

Manu in his prime was a SERIOUS clutch player. He turned it up in the 4th and he took and made ALOT of big shots for the spurs. Dipo on the other hand seems to get ripped alot in the 4th when he has the ball in his hands and expected to make the play in crunch time. Also, comparing dipos shot to manu is literally making me smh.

The most cringe worthy part of this is that for the most important piece of the team you put a "?". Tim Duncan is a once in a lifetime player. A generational talent. U make it sound so easy like well just pick Towns, he'll be our Duncan like presence and we'll become a championship team. Duncan is so much more than just a guy who's got good D and back score face up and back to the basket.

Could all of our guys work on their game and get on the level of Duncan, Manu and parker? Yes, and I sure hope they do! I also hope i wake up tomorrow and a buggati is parked in my garage but both are pretty much pipe dreams and highly unlikely either happens. I do appreciate your optimism tho lol.
Skin
RealGM

Post#29 » by Skin » Tue Feb 3, 2015 9:55 am

MasterGMer wrote:Dipo is no where near Manu's mold.

So is Payton. Dude is a rookie and hasn't really developed yet in NBA. Gordon as Lenoard? No way! How come?

Already did some simple comparisons. It's impossible to look at any 2 players and say they are exactly the same right. If that's your point then I'm in agreement.

I'm looking at some commonalities and if you don't see any then we'll just have to agree to disagree. I can't buy that and you haven't sold me enough to convince me to change my mind.
Skin
RealGM

Post#30 » by Skin » Tue Feb 3, 2015 10:05 am

Big A All Day wrote:
Skin wrote:

But my favorite was...

Look forward to the chats tomorrow, but I'ma hit the sack. :)

Elfrid just went 0-6 a gave up a triple double in 3 quarters tonight. He's scared to go for a layup let alone shoot a jumper and comparing his around the basket efficiency to tony parker is laughable. And honestly, I hope it's just Payton being a rookie or jv's scheme but Payton's defense has left alot to be desired. Throw 1 pick at him and watch his man blow right by. Oh yeah, let's not even talk about free throws lol.

Manu in his prime was a SERIOUS clutch player. He turned it up in the 4th and he took and made ALOT of big shots for the spurs. Dipo on the other hand seems to get ripped alot in the 4th when he has the ball in his hands and expected to make the play in crunch time. Also, comparing dipos shot to manu is literally making me smh.

The most cringe worthy part of this is that for the most important piece of the team you put a "?". Tim Duncan is a once in a lifetime player. A generational talent. U make it sound so easy like well just pick Towns, he'll be our Duncan like presence and we'll become a championship team.

Could all of our guys work on their game and get on the level of Duncan, Manu and parker? Yes, and I sure hope they do! I also hope i wake up tomorrow and a buggati is parked in my garage but both are pretty much a pipe dreams and highly unlikely either happens. I do appreciate your optimism tho lol.

I'm not going to base judgements off one season, much less one game. So you won't catch me saying "Elfrid is scared to go for a layup". That's just false. I think you guys are getting too caught up in the degree of exactness that you think I'm trying to make a point on.

I agree with you that Manu in his prime was great. Dipo is not yet in his prime, so the direct comparison is premature. I'm judging this by the general idea and combination of scouting reports, projections, and flashes of what we see on the court. That is why I think Dipo can easily reach or succeed Manu's level someday.

Cringing over a "?" is just overreaction. I'm sorry it came across as "sounding easy", but it's truly a question mark. That could easily mean we're far away from finding that piece. But either way, it doesn't have any relevance against disproving the idea we are trying to follow their model.
Big A All Day
Head Coach

Post#31 » by Big A All Day » Tue Feb 3, 2015 10:19 am

Skin wrote:
Big A All Day wrote:
Skin wrote:Well if you think I'm making a direct player comparison between the two side to side, then no, that wasn't the intent here and I pointed that out, so I don't know if you read or not.

Look forward to the chats tomorrow, but I'ma hit the sack. :)

The most cringe worthy part of this is that for the most important piece of the team you put a "?". Tim Duncan is a once in a lifetime player. A generational talent. U make it sound so easy like well just pick Towns, he'll be our Duncan like presence and we'll become a championship team.

Could all of our guys work on their game and get on the level of Duncan, Manu and parker? Yes, and I sure hope they do! I also hope i wake up tomorrow and a buggati is parked in my garage but both are pretty much a pipe dreams and highly unlikely either happens. I do appreciate your optimism tho lol.

I'm not going to base judgements off one season, much less one game. So you won't catch me saying "Elfrid is scared to go for a layup". That's just false. I think you guys are getting too caught up in the degree of exactness that you think I'm trying to make a point on.

I agree with you that Manu in his prime was great. Dipo is not yet in his prime, so the direct comparison is premature. I'm judging this by the general idea and combination of scouting reports, projections, and flashes of what we see on the court. That is why I think Dipo can easily reach or succeed Manu's level someday.

Cringing over a "?" is just overreaction. I'm sorry it came across as "sounding easy", but it's truly a question mark. That could easily mean we're far away from finding that piece. But either way, it doesn't have any relevance against disproving the idea we are trying to follow their model.

Ok, so we're following their model. So how close are we to becoming the spurs of the east? And if you had to assess us a grade on following their model what would it be?
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#32 » by KingRobb02 » Tue Feb 3, 2015 10:24 am

Trying to be respectful here since I compared us to the 05 Heat about a month ago.

1. The Payton/Parker comparison doesn't work because Parker is a to notch scorer, and Payton probably won't ever get there. About the only similarity is their position.

2. I think a healthy Kawhi is one of the 5 most valuable pieces in the league. Even if Aaron develops his defensive versatility, he has a much longer way to go to be as good as Kawhi offensively.

3. I don't really think you can day Vucevic us better. He scores more, and grabs rebounds, but Splitter is a better passer and far superior defender. When evaluating Spurs, you have to remember that they all bought into having their minutes and shots cut so their numbers suffer as a result. I think Tiago is just as good of a scorer if given shots.

4. You make a Diaw /Harris comp and think you're selling Tobias short? If you think Harris will ever be able to guard the best player alive in the finals I understand. But I doubt that's what your original thinking was. Again, Bobo is a superior passer and defender. This seems to be the issue with most of these comps. Spurs (and even their little bro Hawks) have way too many guys who can pass, defend, and score efficiently while it seems like we have a few guys who can get theirs offensively if you give them the ball and a bit of time.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Post#33 » by Bensational » Tue Feb 3, 2015 10:36 am

Skin wrote:
Bensational wrote:Seriously though... is Skin a girl? or are we getting catfish'd?

Is this a horny internet investigation?

Totally. So... What are you wearing?

No, it would just shift the whole mental construct I have of you. I only just found out Woosah was a girl, too.

With all these girls around, am I gonna have to start wearing pants?
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#34 » by MasterGMer » Tue Feb 3, 2015 11:12 am

I think the model thing is overrated...Spurs model is not just the players themselves but a combination of a lot of things...

So I have to disagree to your player mold model.

I think Magic honestly can have its own identity, which is Defense.

We drafted guys with a work ethic and DEFENSE...Look at every single one of them...

We do need a good coach. A strong character that convince the players to work hard and play defense. A strong Character that will impact the team's psychology and implement that toughness on players.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,533

Post#35 » by Furinkazan » Tue Feb 3, 2015 12:46 pm

Skin please stop doing drugs.Ty.
Flannerz
Pro Prospect
And1: 499

Post#36 » by Flannerz » Tue Feb 3, 2015 1:08 pm

Cocaine is a hell of a drug
VoiceOReason
Sophomore
And1: 31

Post#37 » by VoiceOReason » Tue Feb 3, 2015 1:16 pm

The main thing missing on all the comps is great team and man to man defense....

Elf at this time is not really showing even flashes of being able to carry a scoring load like Parker can...but that means we need more scoring from other positions...but Elfrid s court vision does seem like it could end up being better than parkers

I see what you are saying here... We are probably two years away from even knowing if a.Gordon can be anything like kahwai...but I see your points here's to hoping all the guys turn into poor man's version of the spurs...let's hope Victor takes a huge leap next year and becomes something the spurs never had
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#38 » by MasterGMer » Tue Feb 3, 2015 1:33 pm

How is Aaron Gordon ever like Kahwai?? Dude is a 4... Comon guys... Gordon won't have the ball handling skills like Lenoard
VoiceOReason
Sophomore
And1: 31

Post#39 » by VoiceOReason » Tue Feb 3, 2015 2:08 pm

MasterGMer wrote:How is Aaron Gordon ever like Kahwai?? Dude is a 4... Comon guys... Gordon won't have the ball handling skills like Lenoard

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought kahwai was pretty raw offensively coming into the league also?
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#40 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Feb 3, 2015 2:21 pm

Wait. Didn't the Spurs only tank one season. I seriously doubt we are following the Spurs model per se.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!

Return to Orlando Magic