ImageImageImageImage

Does AG at power forward make everything else work?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Re: Is AG at power forward make everything else work? 

Post#181 » by ezzzp » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:00 pm

Crabman wrote:so how is someone like Pau (for ex) going to guard Gordon if he starts making 3s? There are very few teams in the league with a PF/C combo that can post up. More often than not, Vucevic will match up with the Gasols in the post where he is a good enough defender. The only team I can think of right now is Memphis who has Marc and Randolph? How is Randolph or Marc gonna close out on Gordon? He can bet them off the dribble with his speed and handle anytime. AG just needs to hit 3s at a decent rate (like 32%).

It doesn't really matter if we're top 5 defensively. I understand Skiles said that. We need to harness our potential on D, and somehow make the offense work. Top 10-15 defense would be nice, we can't expect a major jump that quick.

I agree about using Dedmon more often. I think/hopes he gets 20mpg. Hopefully he keeps improving on his foul rate and helps us when we need to play lock down D. He can be a big difference maker.

Just take a look at how the matchups shape up for the first month (see my post on this page):

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1403565&start=20

Considering Gordon shot .270 last year, a jump to .320 in 3pt% would be pretty amazing, and even still .320 is far from a good 3pt%. Also he only attempted 48 threes so for him to be a threat he would also have to greatly increase his attempts.
Crabman
Banned User
And1: 146

Post#182 » by Crabman » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:35 pm

Well he jumped from 43 to 73% on FTs from college to the NBA, so I wouldn't put it past him to make that jump. I'm not even talking about next year really. Guy is still as old as most of these rookies coming in. His shot will improve thanks to his work ethic. 32% is good enough to make teams respect your shot. I never said it was good. That would imply it being above average. I said decent. Look at draymond, teams close out on him on the three pt line and he shot less than 34%.

Like I said, if Gordon can just do that, he will be able to fake and blow by the likes of Pau Gasol and Nene anytime. Why don't you point out the match ups that will expose Gordon's defense? Because I really don't see any that can both overpower him on offense and keep up with his athleticism on the other end.
Crabman
Banned User

Post#183 » by Crabman » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:46 pm

The Jazz's front court might cause problems, but they will do that to any team. When you have Gobert and Favors on the floor, you can sub Gordon with Dedmon. Also I don't think your numbers are accurate. I doubt Gordon is still at 220, he looked ripped in SL. 230 is probably where he's at, if not now, he will get there soon because theres no way he stays the same weight as he was last year. Also Porzingis is at 220 not 250.
ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#184 » by ezzzp » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:49 am

Crabman wrote:The Jazz's front court might cause problems, but they will do that to any team. When you have Gobert and Favors on the floor, you can sub Gordon with Dedmon. Also I don't think your numbers are accurate. I doubt Gordon is still at 220, he looked ripped in SL. 230 is probably where he's at, if not now, he will get there soon because theres no way he stays the same weight as he was last year. Also Porzingis is at 220 not 250.

hah porzingis would be a beast if he was 250 ...it was a typo...i didn't think AG looked bigger - here's an image from last summer and one from this summer league - hard to tell

Crabman
Banned User

Post#185 » by Crabman » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:42 am

It is hard to tell. Look at this picture though
http://collegetoprosports.com/2015/07/aaron-gordon-made-quite-the-impression-in-summer-league/

IMO he looked a little bit bigger, and more toned. Again, its hard to judge. So you might be right. I hate that he broke his jaw, probably set him back a bit, but he'll bounce back. Either way the kid is strong as hell for his age, and I think adding 15-20 pounds is a given as he gets older. I think Draymond is around 240, and has more body fat. I always like to compare Gordon to Green. Since watching his first summer league, I expected him to be a bigger and more athletic Draymond (I've been a big fan since he was an unknown rookie, he was my 2nd favorite warrior). After this summer league I started thinking he'll probably be a better one on one offensive player. Now I think he has way more potential than Green. He's only 19.... I'm pretty sure no one expected Jimmy Butler to be much more than a defensive player, and Kawhi to be FMVP. Gordon has that same dedication, supposedly.

I'm really not worried about our forward positions. Ideally, I do want a shot blocking PF/C off the bench, Dedmon upgrade.
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 731

Post#186 » by Hilltop » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:28 am

Even without all the talk of him bulking up this summer, I genuinely thought he looked bigger in the SL. He's filled out and he does look taller.

When all is said and done he will be a PF in this league.
ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#187 » by ezzzp » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:41 pm

Hilltop wrote:Even without all the talk of him bulking up this summer, I genuinely thought he looked bigger in the SL. He's filled out and he does look taller.

When all is said and done he will be a PF in this league.

you can see an inch of height growth from your tv? its definitely time for me to upgrade my tv
ivDT
RealGM
And1: 1,579

Post#188 » by ivDT » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:50 pm

ezzzp wrote:
Crabman wrote:The Jazz's front court might cause problems, but they will do that to any team. When you have Gobert and Favors on the floor, you can sub Gordon with Dedmon. Also I don't think your numbers are accurate. I doubt Gordon is still at 220, he looked ripped in SL. 230 is probably where he's at, if not now, he will get there soon because theres no way he stays the same weight as he was last year. Also Porzingis is at 220 not 250.

hah porzingis would be a beast if he was 250 ...it was a typo...i didn't think AG looked bigger - here's an image from last summer and one from this summer league - hard to tell

he looks a lot more like a power forward in that second picture.
ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#189 » by ezzzp » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:13 pm

ivDT wrote:
ezzzp wrote:

he looks a lot more like a power forward in that second picture.

clearly
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,043

Post#190 » by drsd » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:33 pm

Crabman wrote:32% is good enough to make teams respect your shot.

To agree: scoring wise, a 33% 3-ball is exactly the same as a 50% 2-ball.

tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,400

Post#191 » by tooler » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:53 pm

drsd wrote:

I missed this earlier. I read somewhere that it's not just the percentage you shoot that makes teams respect you. It's your willingness to take the shot. For example, even if Elfrid hits that percentage from the corner this year, he'll need to take the shot when open instead of pump faking or looking to make a pass. Teams know they have time to close out on him.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#192 » by Orlwillbeback » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:39 pm

tooler wrote:
drsd wrote:

I missed this earlier. I read somewhere that it's not just the percentage you shoot that makes teams respect you. It's your willingness to take the shot. For example, even if Elfrid hits that percentage from the corner this year, he'll need to take the shot when open instead of pump faking or looking to make a pass. Teams know they have time to close out on him.

Yes and this lends itself to better spacing.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Re: Does AG at power forward make everything else work? 

Post#193 » by Orlwillbeback » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:13 pm

I liked this thread better when it was "is AG make..."
Catledge
Starter
And1: 835

Post#194 » by Catledge » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:06 pm

drsd wrote:

I'm not sure that it is exactly the same. It is, of course, true that making 10 out of 30 3's equals the same number of points as making 15 out of 30 2's, but there is some noise hidden in those numbers. As a general rule, it's harder to transition to defense after a long rebound than when the other team has to inbound from their own baseline. And attempts to score from inside the arc are much more likely to lead to free throws than attempts from deep. I don't think that those things have a huge effect, but I think there is enough there for a coach to reasonably set something around .345 as a minimum percentage for a guy to get a green light early in the shot clock.
Crabman
Banned User

Post#195 » by Crabman » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:29 pm

You're right, but there are a lot of factors involved. Team play style, team defense, how the player shoots in practice, what position he plays, match ups, ect.
Kerr gives Green the green light to shoot threes when there are three 40% shooters in the starting line up. I dont think any coach sets a minimum percentage like that. Imagine a coach telling one player he can shoot it because he's averaging 34% and tells another to hold back because he's shooting 33%. No coach is that robotic.
ivDT
RealGM
And1: 1,579

Post#196 » by ivDT » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:38 am

shooting 33% from 3 is certainly every bit as good as shooting 50% on long 2s.
Crabman
Banned User

Post#197 » by Crabman » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:58 am

Would you offer Horford 25 mill if you were GM?
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,260

Post#198 » by Blue_and_Whte » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:19 pm

Crabman wrote:Would you offer Horford 25 mill if you were GM?

Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Crabman
Banned User

Post#199 » by Crabman » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:35 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Crabman wrote:Would you offer Horford 25 mill if you were GM?

How much do you think he gets paid? I figured ATL would match anything close to 20. I think you're just not used to the new salary cap yet, 25 mill is how much it would take to get him. Add Horford to the Magic and we can become a 50 win team possibly as soon as 2016-2017. Our team would be so versatile.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,400

Post#200 » by tooler » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:57 pm

Horford will get near the max just like Millsap did. Teams are desperate for talent.

Return to Orlando Magic