ImageImageImageImage

Let's Talk About Mario

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

LongHairedBob
Pro Prospect
And1: 23

Re: Let's Talk About Mario 

Post#1101 » by LongHairedBob » Tue May 22, 2018 3:56 am

Does this mean the magic will be able to offer Mario $8,406,000?...

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/06/values-of-201718-mid-level-bi-annual-exceptions.html
If it's sent by ship then it's a cargo, if it's sent by road then it's a shipment.
-- Dave Allen
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#1102 » by OrlandO » Tue May 22, 2018 4:24 am

LongHairedBob wrote:Does this mean the magic will be able to offer Mario $8,406,000?...

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/06/values-of-201718-mid-level-bi-annual-exceptions.html

No. $5.2 million with 8% raises.
LongHairedBob
Pro Prospect
And1: 23

Post#1103 » by LongHairedBob » Tue May 22, 2018 10:56 am

Isn't this our situation?...

The non-taxpayer mid-level exception is the primary tool available for over-the-cap teams to add free agents. As long as a team hasn’t dipped below the cap and doesn’t go over the tax apron (currently projected to be $127MM) at all, it can use this MLE, which runs for up to four years with 5% annual raises. ($8,406,000)

Cap Maximum: $101,000,000
If it's sent by ship then it's a cargo, if it's sent by road then it's a shipment.

-- Dave Allen
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#1104 » by tiderulz » Tue May 22, 2018 11:27 am

LongHairedBob wrote:Isn't this our situation?...

The non-taxpayer mid-level exception is the primary tool available for over-the-cap teams to add free agents. As long as a team hasn’t dipped below the cap and doesn’t go over the tax apron (currently projected to be $127MM) at all, it can use this MLE, which runs for up to four years with 5% annual raises. ($8,406,000)

i believe we can only offer him what he would have made in his 4th year on his contract with us
OrlandO
RealGM

Post#1105 » by OrlandO » Tue May 22, 2018 1:03 pm

LongHairedBob wrote:Isn't this our situation?...

Our problem isn't cap related... it's that we declined his final year of his rookie deal and that restricts us from being able to offer more than what he would have made that year. Other teams can offer him whatever they want.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,091

Post#1106 » by yoyojw17 » Tue May 22, 2018 4:15 pm

OrlandO wrote:
LongHairedBob wrote:Does this mean the magic will be able to offer Mario $8,406,000?...

And that's only for the 2 years that he would have been under his original contract.... right? then we can resign him to a more lucrative deal.
OrlandO
RealGM

Post#1107 » by OrlandO » Tue May 22, 2018 4:18 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
OrlandO wrote:

And that's only for the 2 years that he would have been under his original contract.... right? then we can resign him to a more lucrative deal.

Well he only had one year left. I assume we can put in opt outs or sign him to a short deal. But why would he take such deals when he can probably get double and start elsewhere?
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant

Post#1108 » by yoyojw17 » Tue May 22, 2018 4:43 pm

OrlandO wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:
OrlandO wrote:No. $5.2 million with 8% raises.

Well he only had one year left. I assume we can put in opt outs or sign him to a short deal. But why would he take such deals when he can probably get double and start elsewhere?

"Cuz he loves Orlando" :nod: :nod:

I don't know..... I heard someone say that there is certain sense of loyalty amongst the European players that can vouch for that ... Familiarity with the organization? But not getting any hopes up... wish he does return though. As i said a year or so ago when people were hating on him... This one can come back and bite us big time in the butt if we lose him!
OrlandO
RealGM

Post#1109 » by OrlandO » Tue May 22, 2018 4:56 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
OrlandO wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:And that's only for the 2 years that he would have been under his original contract.... right? then we can resign him to a more lucrative deal.

I don't know..... I heard someone say that there is certain sense of loyalty amongst the European players that can vouch for that ... Familiarity with the organization? But not getting any hopes up... wish he does return though. As i said a year or so ago when people were hating on him... This one can come back and bite us big time in the butt if we lose him!

He could be the loyal type, but I'm not sure that matters in our case since we were not loyal to him and we likely won't have a starting spot for him. And of course we can't even buy his loyalty. Only way I see him staying is if teams aren't willing to pay him much and aren't willing to commit to him as a starter.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant

Post#1110 » by yoyojw17 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:02 pm

OrlandO wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:
OrlandO wrote:Well he only had one year left. I assume we can put in opt outs or sign him to a short deal. But why would he take such deals when he can probably get double and start elsewhere?

He could be the loyal type, but I'm not sure that matters in our case since we were not loyal to him and we likely won't have a starting spot for him. And of course we can't even buy his loyalty. Only way I see him staying is if teams aren't willing to pay him much and aren't willing to commit to him as a starter.

agreed
Bakomagic
Bench Warmer
And1: 894

Post#1111 » by Bakomagic » Sun May 27, 2018 8:55 pm

Hoping we find a way to bring Mario back!

I’d like to see him work on his post game. He has great size and when being guarded by most wings he would have a size advantage and ability to shoot for the top.

Also he should keep working on his handle but it will never be elite, which sucks because he had great vision and passing ability.

If he becomes a really good post player, he will be able to makes plays for teammates out of the post without having to penetrate in the traditional “dribbling” sense. I’ve seen Lebron do this some with the Heat and it was really tough for teams to deal with.

I wonder why more teams don’t employ the post up playmaker offense to manufacture scoring opportunities.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,534

Post#1112 » by Furinkazan » Sun May 27, 2018 9:22 pm

European players are loyal at times but mostly when they feel respected.That wasnt the case here.I think at this point you can only hope for Stockholm syndrome to kick in not loyalty.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#1113 » by The Effect » Wed May 30, 2018 9:47 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
OrlandO wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:And that's only for the 2 years that he would have been under his original contract.... right? then we can resign him to a more lucrative deal.

But thats the thing, its not the same organization. its the same franchise, but the coach who drafted him is gone, the coach who gave him some PT (after 2 years!) is gone and front office who drafted him are gone.
Literally the only thing thats the same is some of the players
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#1114 » by tiderulz » Wed May 30, 2018 10:24 pm

The Effect wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:
OrlandO wrote:Well he only had one year left. I assume we can put in opt outs or sign him to a short deal. But why would he take such deals when he can probably get double and start elsewhere?

But thats the thing, its not the same organization. its the same franchise, but the coach who drafted him is gone, the coach who gave him some PT (after 2 years!) is gone and front office who drafted him are gone.

well, you could turn it to, the coach that kept him on the bench for most of 2 years is gone, also
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#1115 » by The Effect » Wed May 30, 2018 10:27 pm

tiderulz wrote:
The Effect wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:"Cuz he loves Orlando" :nod: :nod:

well, you could turn it to, the coach that kept him on the bench for most of 2 years is gone, also

yeah.........but we were talking about a player being loyal to an organization :lol:
Duradero
Pro Prospect
And1: 134

Post#1116 » by Duradero » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:33 am

I think he'll be back (depending on how we draft)
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,534

Post#1117 » by Furinkazan » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:10 pm

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,336

Post#1118 » by Knightro » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:43 pm

I'd rather have Mario back than not, but I feel like someone is definitely going to offer him more than 5.2M.

The decision to decline his option looks more and more curious by the day. Yes, Mario was as bad as it possibly gets as a 2nd year player, but with Gordon's impending new contract it's not like Orlando was looking at cap space this offseason anyway.

Just kind of feels like the Magic opted to save a little money that wouldn't be able to be repurposed elsewhere and that is tough to take.
Mauro Pedrosa
Analyst
And1: 4,387

Post#1119 » by Mauro Pedrosa » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:14 am

Mario had his prettiest game of the season against Clifford. Maybe it's a good sign
axl_c_cool
Analyst
And1: 846

Post#1120 » by axl_c_cool » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:48 am

Mauro Pedrosa wrote:

Mario had his prettiest game of the season against Clifford. Maybe it's a good sign

Hope so bro, want Mario to stay, I'm sure the FO regret declining and have for a while now
FORMALLY LC MAGIC

Return to Orlando Magic