ImageImageImageImage

Woj: Magic interested in David Griffin, Lloyd in the running

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Re: Woj: Magic interested in David Griffin, Lloyd in the running 

Post#61 » by pepe1991 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:48 pm

Real question, who would do better job , David or Peter Griffin :D
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#62 » by Max Power » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:07 pm

I'm ok with Lloyd as GM as long as we have someone above him controlling basketball Ops. Someone not named Alex Martins. Alex isn't getting fired, but he needs to stay on the business side of the Orlando Magic. Keep the team profitable. He's been very good at that. We need a Pat Riley, Larry Bird or Magic Johnson type running basketball here. Someone who'll garner player respect for free agent possibilities. Grant Hill would have served this role well, but I think any number of good candidates are out there. I honestly think I'd choose Bill Laimbeer.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
You look confused...let me fill you in.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,116

Post#63 » by Def Swami » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:06 pm

If you're turning your nose up to David Griffin, then I'm not sure there's a basis to support a rookie GM (Matt Lloyd or some other assistant GM) take a stab at it.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,395

Post#64 » by SOUL » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:23 pm

Def Swami wrote:If you're turning your nose up to David Griffin, then I'm not sure there's a basis to support a rookie GM (Matt Lloyd or some other assistant GM) take a stab at it.

Matt Lloyd has been involved in important roles since the late 90s, and with ours for a few years. Just don't think that Griffin brings anything but a name right now.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,116

Woj: Magic interested in David Griffin, Lloyd in the running 

Post#65 » by Def Swami » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:37 pm

SOUL wrote:
Def Swami wrote:If you're turning your nose up to David Griffin, then I'm not sure there's a basis to support a rookie GM (Matt Lloyd or some other assistant GM) take a stab at it.

Matt Lloyd has been involved in important roles since the late 90s, and with ours for a few years. Just don't think that Griffin brings anything but a name right now.

That's partly my point. I think Lloyd is qualified to be a GM. Both Griffin and Lloyd have similar resumes. Griffin has been in those similar roles since 1993 and has at least been a GM for the last 3 years. I'm not sure how to rationalize Lloyd over Griffin or undercut Griffin's ability when Griffin has the edge in actual GM experience, on a championship team too.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,395

Post#66 » by SOUL » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:55 pm

Def Swami wrote:
SOUL wrote:

That's partly my point. I think Lloyd is qualified to be a GM. Both Griffin and Lloyd have similar resumes. Griffin has been in those similar roles since 1993 and has at least been a GM for the last 3 years. I'm not sure how to rationalize Lloyd over Griffin or undercut Griffin's ability when Griffin has the edge in actual GM experience, on a championship team too.

Ah okay. I guess we have similar overarching thoughts, just would rather have somebody that has been with us and may be more in tune with the team (while having different ideas than Hennigan) than somebody who has a similar background from another team who costs more money. I just think Lloyd has had stronger results as far as drafting, especially late picks which we have a lot of this year.

If we do bring somebody in I want them to be completely different than Lloyd. If we're trying to go similar, just keep him.
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#67 » by OrlandoDream » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:56 pm

So looks like the plan is to hire a big name to take over as basketball ops, let Martins deal with the business aspects of things (PR, promotion, events) which is what he is good at and keep Lloyd at GM.

Well at least its a step in the right direction from last season.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Post#68 » by Bensational » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:56 pm

Def Swami wrote:
SOUL wrote:

I just wonder what that Cavs team would look like without LeBron. Griffin has made moves that have worked because LeBron can make players around him look better than they are. JR Smith, Shumpert, Frye - that's not a very exciting cast of names. In fact, we were the team that gave Frye the contract that he's currently on, and he wasn't well accepted when here.

Superstar talent can make everyone around them look a lot better than they are at their jobs. Players, coaches and GMs.

Lloyd seems like the kind of guy who's proven himself with a long history of solid scouting and who seems poised to do well if given a role as GM. I'd have no problem if Griffin were the 'brand name' on top of him as the President of Basketball Ops, but I'd love to see what Lloyd could do if he were allowed to build his own team. Just think of the kind of character the team could build if he were in charge of bringing in more guys like Noah/Gibson/Butler/Rose (prime).
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,625

Post#69 » by Howard Mass » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:38 am

OrlandoDream wrote:So looks like the plan is to hire a big name to take over as basketball ops, let Martins deal with the business aspects of things (PR, promotion, events) which is what he is good at and keep Lloyd at GM.

That is my feeling.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,515

Post#70 » by shadrock » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:02 am

OrlandoDream wrote:So looks like the plan is to hire a big name to take over as basketball ops, let Martins deal with the business aspects of things (PR, promotion, events) which is what he is good at and keep Lloyd at GM.

Source? Or just gut feeling?
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#71 » by fendilim » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:17 am

shadrock wrote:

Kyler made a tweet about this.
T-Cat
Sixth Man
And1: 427

Post#72 » by T-Cat » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:27 am

Max Power wrote:I'm ok with Lloyd as GM as long as we have someone above him controlling basketball Ops. Someone not named Alex Martins. Alex isn't getting fired, but he needs to stay on the business side of the Orlando Magic. Keep the team profitable. He's been very good at that. We need a Pat Riley, Larry Bird or Magic Johnson type running basketball here. Someone who'll garner player respect for free agent possibilities. Grant Hill would have served this role well, but I think any number of good candidates are out there. I honestly think I'd choose Bill Laimbeer.

For some reason why do I think Penny Hardaway would be our choice for POB? If the Magic were interested in Hill, they should be interested in Hardaway!
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,962

Post#73 » by Ducklett » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:31 am

Please hire Shaq as PBO... That would be so fun.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,098

Post#74 » by tiderulz » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:32 pm

T-Cat wrote:
Max Power wrote:I'm ok with Lloyd as GM as long as we have someone above him controlling basketball Ops. Someone not named Alex Martins. Alex isn't getting fired, but he needs to stay on the business side of the Orlando Magic. Keep the team profitable. He's been very good at that. We need a Pat Riley, Larry Bird or Magic Johnson type running basketball here. Someone who'll garner player respect for free agent possibilities. Grant Hill would have served this role well, but I think any number of good candidates are out there. I honestly think I'd choose Bill Laimbeer.

For some reason why do I think Penny Hardaway would be our choice for POB? If the Magic were interested in Hill, they should be interested in Hardaway!

does he have any qualifications or experience other than being a former Magic player?
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#75 » by OrlandoDream » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:27 pm

fendilim wrote:
shadrock wrote:

So basically no source but pure speculations. Just seeing the reports and who we are interested in, that seems to be the most likely course of action. It makes sense too.
T-Cat
Sixth Man
And1: 427

Post#76 » by T-Cat » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:28 pm

tiderulz wrote:
T-Cat wrote:

does he have any qualifications or experience other than being a former Magic player?

Good point! What kind of qualifications does Grant Hill have?
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#77 » by fendilim » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:32 pm

OrlandoDream wrote:
fendilim wrote:
shadrock wrote:

So basically no source but pure speculations. Just seeing the reports and who we are interested in, that seems to be the most likely course of action. It makes sense too.

FWIW, I think Kyler did mention during the playoffs that his souce said Biyombo would be getting around 18 million/year in Free Agency, and everyone thought it was crazy.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,098

Post#78 » by tiderulz » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:36 pm

fendilim wrote:
OrlandoDream wrote:
fendilim wrote:Kyler made a tweet about this.

FWIW, I think Kyler did mention during the playoffs that his souce said Biyombo would be getting around 18 million/year in Free Agency, and everyone thought it was crazy.

it was crazy. We were the only ones willing to be that crazy
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#79 » by MoMM » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:22 pm

tiderulz wrote:
fendilim wrote:
OrlandoDream wrote:

it was crazy. We were the only ones willing to be that crazy

IIRC, he had the same offers from other teams as well.

Same for Fournier, except that Evan, agreed to earn less from us.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,128

Post#80 » by rcklsscognition » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:34 pm

I feel more and more comfortable the more I hear about a PoBBO being hired. It just makes sense.

Return to Orlando Magic