ImageImageImageImage

Free Agents by position

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,275

Free Agents by position 

Post#1 » by JBSouthpaw » Tue May 23, 2017 1:14 pm

Thought this was a good pic:

Andy Bailey‏ @AndrewDBailey 15h15 hours ago
More
Top 150 free agents from @hoopshype (http://hoopshype.com/2017/04/26/nba-free-agency-2017-the-top-players/ …, minus overseas guys), sorted by position & Box +/-. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1y4crgg44ywDDRahRZumkdp2HGp_6YH_HW7QJcvTyiW0/edit?usp=sharing
djhunkyherbs
Sophomore
And1: 136

Re: Free Agents by position 

Post#2 » by djhunkyherbs » Tue May 23, 2017 1:40 pm

With the Magic having made such a big splash last offseason and with 4 draft picks in the top 35, I would be surprised if the Magic did much in free agency this year. I don't think that's a bad thing, though, especially considering there aren't too many names on that list that are realistic and worth getting excited about.
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,944

Post#3 » by OrlandoDream » Tue May 23, 2017 1:46 pm

I would love to snag Covington away from Philly but he will be expensive. They also like him a lot there but you have to ask how much they will match if Jackson is their SF of the future?
ralphie9898
Analyst
And1: 390

Post#4 » by ralphie9898 » Tue May 23, 2017 2:07 pm

djhunkyherbs wrote:With the Magic having made such a big splash last offseason and with 4 draft picks in the top 35, I would be surprised if the Magic did much in free agency this year. I don't think that's a bad thing, though, especially considering there aren't too many names on that list that are realistic and worth getting excited about.

Yeah I wouldn't say we made a big splash last year but rather that we did spend a lot of money on guys we probably shouldn't have. But yeah we only have about 14 mill in space so that isn't going to get you any of the big names. Though we will probably go after something more akin to smaller level guys that help fill out the the roster. We shall see.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,275

Post#5 » by JBSouthpaw » Tue May 23, 2017 2:10 pm

djhunkyherbs wrote:With the Magic having made such a big splash last offseason and with 4 draft picks in the top 35, I would be surprised if the Magic did much in free agency this year. I don't think that's a bad thing, though, especially considering there aren't too many names on that list that are realistic and worth getting excited about.

we lose $23M in FA capex with Meeks, Green, Rudez and Wilcox.
Watson's 17-18 $5M is only guaranteed for $1M.
the 2 1st rounders will have holds of about $6M total. The 2nd rounders are guaranteed.

So, we could have some money to spend and some holes to fill.
ralphie9898
Analyst

Post#6 » by ralphie9898 » Tue May 23, 2017 2:26 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:

the 2 1st rounders will have holds of about $6M total. The 2nd rounders are guaranteed.

14 mill is as much as we are going to have from what I have seen. So we won't have that much and with us not being that much of an attractive team I wouldn't expect much out of free agency. As for the second rounders those are not guaranteed but rather only become guaranteed if they are on the roster which I would say there is a good shot they will be but until the season starts there deals are not guaranteed.
djhunkyherbs
Sophomore
And1: 136

Post#7 » by djhunkyherbs » Tue May 23, 2017 2:26 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:

This is true. But with Fournier, Biz, Ross, DJ, and Vucevic locked up on 2-4 year deals and with possible extensions for AG and Elf, the Magic already have a lot of money tied up for the next few years. I hope that if the Magic do spend money this offseason, that it will be to fill out the roster on reasonable deals, rather than overpaying or offering long-term contracts to bench players like we did last season with DJ and Biz.
Mike1989
Sophomore
And1: 75

Post#8 » by Mike1989 » Tue May 23, 2017 2:48 pm

OrlandoDream wrote:I would love to snag Covington away from Philly but he will be expensive. They also like him a lot there but you have to ask how much they will match if Jackson is their SF of the future?

They are pretty flush with cap space, so I don't see them having any trouble in securing his services long term if that's what they want. I think they are projected to have around $40 million or so in cap space, though that figure could rise above $60 million depending on what moves they want. So as long as they feel Covington fits their front court, then they will try to bring him back. However, I'm not sure if that's the best thing for them. They could use their cap savings on their back court and draft Jackson/Tatum, or they could even use Simmons at SF and use their draft pick and cap savings on their back court.

Would I want to see us sign Covington? Perhaps, but I wouldn't want to see us pay over the odds because at his best he's a 3 and D forward. He would fill our need at small forward, though we would need to hope that one (or more) of our existing players break out into all star calibre players, or we land one in this year's draft. Otherwise we will be stuck with a fairly solid line up, but ultimately a low upside line up.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,027

Post#9 » by drsd » Wed May 24, 2017 7:36 am

I think the Magic might look closer at restricted FAs in SnT deals.

drsd
RealGM

Post#10 » by drsd » Wed May 24, 2017 10:34 am

JBSouthpaw wrote:Image

Wow the SG options are poor. Hopefully this helps the trade value of Ross and/or Fournier as the Magic move to upgrade the SF core.

ralphie9898
Analyst

Post#11 » by ralphie9898 » Wed May 24, 2017 11:30 am

drsd wrote:
JBSouthpaw wrote:Image

Wow the SG options are poor. Hopefully this helps the trade value of Ross and/or Fournier as the Magic move to upgrade the SF core.

yeah I agree but the SF market isn't that great either so that could make it hard to trade for SF thus cancelling out that benefit. About the only spot that is that is pretty good is PG as there are some actual unrestricted free agents available that could move. All I know is that this class isn't very exciting and with us not having even close to max space I am just looking more toward the 2018 draft. This offseason I am thinking more about just trying to clear as much of the long term and larger deals as we can and position ourselves for a good spot in the 2018 draft. I would consider trading Payton or Hezonja or Vuc along with maybe DJ or Biyombo to simply help our cap situation(i.e. someone on a lesser contract, weather it be for less money or it be shorter and maybe get a draft pick or a younger player as well. But hopefully we stay away from giving out more Biyombo or DJ like contracts for similar production(or lack of).
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,050

Post#12 » by dsg2021 » Wed May 24, 2017 11:58 am

We should have about 14 mil in cap space and I was probably being 1 mil pessimistic (always shoot for caution), so we could probably squeeze 15 mil in cap space, then afterwards, use the much smaller exceptions, as well as maybe utilize two smaller TPE's too.

This 14 mil figure includes renouncing everyone we can except Zimmerman. And the only cap hold that feels like it might hurt to lose it is Meeks.

The 14 mil figure also includes a cap hold/expected salary of keeping all four draft picks this summer.

But if the Magic really wanted to go after Porter or another high-level FA, they would have a few trade options to make a serious offer. It is important to note that the deals include basically zero incoming cap space. So the reality is that these cap space amounts could be slashed significantly too.

1) Both D.J. Augustin and Terrence Ross have only 21 mil owed, over 3 seasons and 2 seasons respectively. They are not hard amounts to flip, even if D.J. was pessimistically considered dead weight. Ross, however, would probably be much easier to flip. He has only 2 guaranteed seasons and is widely considered a solid value for his contract amount.

Cap space with D.J. trade: 21 mil w/ zero incoming cap, 16.5 mil - 21 mil range of realistic cap space
Cap space with Ross trade: 24.5 mil w/ zero incoming cap, 18 mil - 24.5 mil range of realistic cap space

2) Along the same line, Vooch and Fournier are also considered good value for their contract amounts. In fact, Vooch has only 24.5 mil of guaranteed money over 2 seasons. He's likely the easiest flip on the team by far.

Cap space with Vooch trade: 26.5 mil w/ zero incoming cap

3) Flip Biyombo's contract someway, somehow.. :lol:

Cap space with Biyombo trade: 31 mil w/ zero incoming cap

Note: Not advocating any trades. Just talking numbers.
ralphie9898
Analyst

Post#13 » by ralphie9898 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:17 pm

dsg2021 wrote:We should have about 14 mil in cap space and I was probably being 1 mil pessimistic (always shoot for caution), so we could probably squeeze 15 mil in cap space, then afterwards, use the much smaller exceptions, as well as maybe utilize two smaller TPE's too.

This 14 mil figure includes renouncing everyone we can except Zimmerman. And the only cap hold that feels like it might hurt to lose it is Meeks.

The 14 mil figure also includes a cap hold/expected salary of keeping all four draft picks this summer.

But if the Magic really wanted to go after Porter or another high-level FA, they would have a few trade options to make a serious offer. It is important to note that the deals include basically zero incoming cap space. So the reality is that these cap space amounts could be slashed significantly too.

1) Both D.J. Augustin and Terrence Ross have only 21 mil owed, over 3 seasons and 2 seasons respectively. They are not hard amounts to flip, even if D.J. was pessimistically considered dead weight. Ross, however, would probably be much easier to flip. He has only 2 guaranteed seasons and is widely considered a solid value for his contract amount.

Cap space with D.J. trade: 21 mil w/ zero incoming cap, 16.5 mil - 21 mil range of realistic cap space
Cap space with Ross trade: 24.5 mil w/ zero incoming cap, 18 mil - 24.5 mil range of realistic cap space

2) Along the same line, Vooch and Fournier are also considered good value for their contract amounts. In fact, Vooch has only 24.5 mil of guaranteed money over 2 seasons. He's likely the easiest flip on the team by far.

Cap space with Vooch trade: 26.5 mil w/ zero incoming cap

3) Flip Biyombo's contract someway, somehow.. :lol:

Cap space with Biyombo trade: 31 mil w/ zero incoming cap

Note: Not advocating any trades. Just talking numbers.

yeah we aren't going to afford the big names unless we make a trade. As for those deals being easy to flip I would disagree a little bit. I think that Vuc, Ross and Fournier are on good value contracts but not that great to where it would be easy to trade either one for no money coming in. I think Ross and Fournier though could see a bump in their value this year with free agency and the draft not offering that much.

The D.J. deal would be tough to move as I am not sure he has that much value anymore especially when you factor in the number of quality PGs in the league as well as a good crop of free agent PGs as well as a very good draft class for PGs. Biyombo is going to be very tough to move. But I would definitely try and pursue these trades you are talking about. I would definitely make the draft the focus and then try and clear some future cap space.

Free agency doesn't offer much as the majority of the young talent like Otto Porter are restricted so they aren't likely going anywhere unless you get a situation where team needs their cap space to sign a free agent they want to add and another team comes in and sabotages them by offering that guy a big deal forcing that team to either match or lose out on that free agent they were targeting. Similar to Houston when they were trying to sign Bosh and Dallas comes in and signs Parsons to an offer sheet thus forcing Houston to make a decision sooner then they would have wanted. But that can come back and bite you as it did to Dallas somewhat as Parsons wasn't quite worth that money. The unrestricted guys are older and the few intriguing guys are likely to go elsewhere(i.e. Gordon Hayward and some others.)
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM
And1: 1,512

Post#14 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:22 pm

I'm sure that the new front office will make some moves to make this team their own but I can't see anything substantial happening. I fully expect another season of tank-tastic proportions .
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,134

Post#15 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Wed May 24, 2017 1:46 pm

Joe Ingles, JaMychal Green, Mirotic and Terrance Jones are interesting options at the F positions.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
Shady Franchise
Veteran
And1: 584

Post#16 » by Shady Franchise » Wed May 24, 2017 2:21 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:Joe Ingles, JaMychal Green, Mirotic and Terrance Jones are interesting options at the F positions.

Definitely like Ingles. I also like Amir and Patrick Patterson.
Do not max Vuc!
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,044

Post#17 » by fendilim » Wed May 24, 2017 3:56 pm

Sorted them out for you too..

Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,711

Post#18 » by Smitty731 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:52 pm

If you are interested, I have a ton of cap, roster, FA and Draft into in my NBA Salary & Roster Sheets:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1T2Eg_zvqNqQD_5TpE4Ns6xhElatXdLpYG1roZtRLyvE/edit?usp=sharing

Enjoy!
drsd
RealGM

Post#19 » by drsd » Thu May 25, 2017 7:31 am

ralphie9898 wrote:yeah I agree but the SF market isn't that great either ....

I actually do not agree. I think FAs at the SF slot is strong up top and in the middle.

But the point for me is that if the Magic tab a SF with #6, either Ross or Fournier must be traded. And as the SG FA market is the weakest amongst positions, that increases either/both of their trade value(s).

drsd
RealGM

Post#20 » by drsd » Thu May 25, 2017 7:34 am

dsg2021 wrote:We should have about 14 mil in cap space and I was probably being 1 mil pessimistic (always shoot for caution), so we could probably squeeze 15 mil in cap space, then afterwards, use the much smaller exceptions, as well as maybe utilize two smaller TPE's too.

If/when Fournier is traded, that has a clear effect on the cap levels. A similar argument can be made with Payton, Gordon and Vučević.

For me the starting point is 14M which then existing players' contracts are coupled to. For example Fournier + 14M allows the Magic to SnT Porter to a mini-max deal (not that I am advocating that).

Return to Orlando Magic