ImageImageImageImage

Stein: Hammond to be Magic GM (updated)

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,002

Re: Stein: Hammond to be Magic GM (updated) 

Post#321 » by fendilim » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:11 am

Been thinking about this and i think its funny how GMs future is easily tied to one player.

Hammond was a terrible GM before he ended up with Giannis.

Hennigan was one pick away (Porsingis) from keeping his job. Heck, if KP didnt pull out from the draft the prior to the year he was drafted, Hennigan had already promised to draft him at 12th. Would still have been our gm still.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,074

Post#322 » by tiderulz » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:18 am

fendilim wrote:Been thinking about this and i think its funny how GMs future is easily tied to one player.

Hennigan was one pick away (Porsingis) from keeping his job. Heck, if KP didnt pull out from the draft the prior to the year he was drafted, Hennigan had already promised to draft him at 12th. Would still have been our gm still.

well, you dont know that. Every possibility that KP doesnt turn into what he did while here. Its not just getting the player, its going to the right situation. Draymond didnt become Draymond until Mark Jackson was let go and Kerr used and developed him more. Jermaine Oneal was a 4ppg player in Portland and then got to Indiana and exploded. Tobias Harris 5ppg in Milwaukee, 17ppg a year later in Orlando. So its a possibility that KP doesnt develop here and Hennigan still fired.
fendilim
RealGM

Post#323 » by fendilim » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:01 pm

tiderulz wrote:
fendilim wrote:Been thinking about this and i think its funny how GMs future is easily tied to one player.

well, you dont know that. Every possibility that KP doesnt turn into what he did while here. Its not just getting the player, its going to the right situation. Draymond didnt become Draymond until Mark Jackson was let go and Kerr used and developed him more. Jermaine Oneal was a 4ppg player in Portland and then got to Indiana and exploded. Tobias Harris 5ppg in Milwaukee, 17ppg a year later in Orlando. So its a possibility that KP doesnt develop here and Hennigan still fired.
True, obviously its also the right situatation. Even Giannis wasn't doing good until they experimented him at PG.
Just Plain Mark
Assistant Coach
And1: 193

Post#324 » by Just Plain Mark » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:18 pm

I don't think either Hammond or Hennigan's success or failure is tied to one player, especially as it relates to the draft. Both Hammond and Hennigan had multiple drafts to show their ability but Hammond had more success in the draft than Hennigan with less favorable draft slots with Tobias Harris, Larry Sanders, Parker, Giannis, and Brogdon.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,060

Post#325 » by Optimus_Steel » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:23 pm

Just Plain Mark wrote:

I don't think either Hammond or Hennigan's success or failure is tied to one player, especially as it relates to the draft. Both Hammond and Hennigan had multiple drafts to show their ability but Hammond had more success in the draft than Hennigan with less favorable draft slots with Tobias Harris, Larry Sanders, Parker, Giannis, and Brogdon.

I agree. Giannis was his prized piece but he did pretty good with other not so favorable draft slots.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
aka: prorl
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,113

Post#326 » by Def Swami » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:56 pm

While I agree that luck is a big part of success of any GM, after 5 years, you have to have more to show for than Aaron Gordon and another lottery pick as your 2 best assets.
fendilim
RealGM

Post#327 » by fendilim » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:54 am

Def Swami wrote:

While I agree that luck is a big part of success of any GM, after 5 years, you have to have more to show for than Aaron Gordon and another lottery pick as your 2 best assets.

Well, tbh, Hammond spent more than 5 years with nothing to show forth until hitting a jackpot on Giannis.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#328 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:12 am

Been thinking about this and i think its funny how a Coaches future is easily tied to one player.

Skiles was one player away (Porzingis) from keeping his job. Heck, if KP would not have been drafted 4th and dropped to 5th, Skiles would still be our coach still and the Magic would be on the rise in this league . . .

See how hindsight can be used in multiple situations.

What if SVG stayed or was given a Coach/Gm position? You never know.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,074

Post#329 » by tiderulz » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:26 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:Been thinking about this and i think its funny how a Coaches future is easily tied to one player.

Skiles was one player away (Porzingis) from keeping his job. Heck, if KP would not have been drafted 4th and dropped to 5th, Skiles would still be our coach still and the Magic would be on the rise in this league . . .

he isnt exactly tearing it up in Detroit
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#330 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:41 am

tiderulz wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:Been thinking about this and i think its funny how a Coaches future is easily tied to one player.

he isnt exactly tearing it up in Detroit

Nope. He has been a better GM than coach thus far. But, I think he will turn it around in the end. He has been there only 3 seasons and was given team cap strapped with

Greg Monroe
Brandon Jennings
Andre Drummond
Josh Smith
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
Jodie Meeks
D. J. Augustin
Anthony Tolliver
Kyle Singler
Singler, Kyle

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!

Return to Orlando Magic