ImageImageImageImage

Paul George... possibility?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Driguez
General Manager
And1: 2,021

Re: Paul George... possibility? 

Post#41 » by Driguez » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:24 pm

The Effect wrote:Why on Earth would we give up assets for a 1 year rental when we are no position to win now? The only teams that should be interested in him are teams trying to win it all and think they are 1 piece away, ie the Cavs, Spurs and maybe Celtics, thunder or rockets

Us even considering it would be the dumbest move this franchise has ever made and that's saying alot

Thank you. It's a huge no in my opinion.
"We all we got"- SVG
PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Post#42 » by PennytoShaq » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:37 pm

PrimeShaq wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:If the Pacers would take Vuc/Fournier and 6, then I would do it. Only if the Magic don't see a total stud at 6 that they love. Why?

We would still have 3 draft picks. If/When PG leaves, we have a lot of cap space. Additionally we could be a playoff team. Suddenly Orlando is relevant again, even if just for one year, that could make a huge difference in attracting another free agent when PG leaves, or doing a S&T.

I was firmly against it at first thought. And I get why everyone would be. But if we could get rid of some contracts and not mortgage our future, PG13 is better than any guy we get at #6, even if it is just a rental. It's probably not going to happen, especially if we would have to mortgage our future for 1 year. But the fact that he said he wants to go to LA really hurts Indiana. They will not be able to get a great offer unless the Clipps can bring something strong to the table. With Fournier and Vuc plus 6, Indiana could grab Isaac or Jackson and quickly rebuild from the loss.

I am quite sure that Hammond will call about PG. But if Indiana asks for too much, it will not happen. The Pacers are in a tough situation.

That's very shortsighted in my opinion. To give up that much for a year rental just to be relevant for one year again is a direction I really hope new management dosent want to take. We have to build something long term and sustainable. We tried this last year going after Serge and overpaying for free agents and we got burned for it.

I feel like we have to build a playoff team and something respectable here first before we think about making a move for a guy like George or butler down the road that could help us contend. There's going to be a potential big building block piece at 6 for us come draft night and trading it away for a rental would be mortgaging away our future in my opinion.

You didn't read my post at all because I clearly stated that we should not mortgage our future for PG13, and I discussed what would happen if he was to leave.

I also seriously doubt this happens anyway, so it's basically a moot point.
ralphie9898
Analyst
And1: 390

Post#43 » by ralphie9898 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:43 pm

Yeah no. I am not going to give up what would be required to give up for a guy that very would just leave us in 2018. I know Indiana is in a tough position but still there will be competition for his services and it doesn't make sense to get in a bidding war for him.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,371

Post#44 » by PrimeThyme » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:45 pm

PennytoShaq wrote:
PrimeShaq wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:If the Pacers would take Vuc/Fournier and 6, then I would do it. Only if the Magic don't see a total stud at 6 that they love. Why?

We would still have 3 draft picks. If/When PG leaves, we have a lot of cap space. Additionally we could be a playoff team. Suddenly Orlando is relevant again, even if just for one year, that could make a huge difference in attracting another free agent when PG leaves, or doing a S&T.

I was firmly against it at first thought. And I get why everyone would be. But if we could get rid of some contracts and not mortgage our future, PG13 is better than any guy we get at #6, even if it is just a rental. It's probably not going to happen, especially if we would have to mortgage our future for 1 year. But the fact that he said he wants to go to LA really hurts Indiana. They will not be able to get a great offer unless the Clipps can bring something strong to the table. With Fournier and Vuc plus 6, Indiana could grab Isaac or Jackson and quickly rebuild from the loss.

I am quite sure that Hammond will call about PG. But if Indiana asks for too much, it will not happen. The Pacers are in a tough situation.

That's very shortsighted in my opinion. To give up that much for a year rental just to be relevant for one year again is a direction I really hope new management dosent want to take. We have to build something long term and sustainable. We tried this last year going after Serge and overpaying for free agents and we got burned for it.

I feel like we have to build a playoff team and something respectable here first before we think about making a move for a guy like George or butler down the road that could help us contend. There's going to be a potential big building block piece at 6 for us come draft night and trading it away for a rental would be mortgaging away our future in my opinion.

You didn't read my post at all because I clearly stated that we should not mortgage our future for PG13, and I discussed what would happen if he was to leave.

If the Pacers would take Vuc/Fournier and 6, then I would do it.

I did. Trading Vuc or Fournier and six for a one year rental is mortgaging our future. Our draft pick should not be in any discussions for Paul George. It would be extremely shortsighted to do so. Saying that we would have cap space if he left isn't enough justification to make that type of trade because we would still be a bad team in a worse position than we are now because we traded our draft pick.
PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Post#45 » by PennytoShaq » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:07 pm

PrimeShaq wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:
PrimeShaq wrote:That's very shortsighted in my opinion. To give up that much for a year rental just to be relevant for one year again is a direction I really hope new management dosent want to take. We have to build something long term and sustainable. We tried this last year going after Serge and overpaying for free agents and we got burned for it.

I did. Trading Vuc or Fournier and six for a one year rental is mortgaging our future. Our draft pick should not be in any discussions for Paul George. It would be extremely shortsighted to do so. Saying that we would have cap space if he left isn't enough justification to make that type of trade because we would still be a bad team in a worse position than we are now because we traded our draft pick.

It's not. That frees 27 million up in the books if Pg13 leaves. I don't think losing evan and vuc means our team will not be good. It very well could make us better depending on other moves that Hammond makes. Maybe he combos 25 plus a player and moves up to draft someone at pick 9-12. If #6 was such a sure thing as a future star, we would not have hundreds of pages of debate of which guy to take.

By all intelligence, it sounds like Isaac is the guy we would take. Tons of people seem to think that Isaac will never be a lead scorer. I am a big fan of Isaac myself, but it's been a huge debate here for months.

It's not going to happen. We won't get Paul George here. But if we did, and he left, we would have a lot of open cap space and a rather athletic lineup to watch this season. It's the only reason I made my post - simply a what if, or why.

What it sounds like will happen is that about anyone could be traded from this current roster. I am very interested in if the Magic try and move Evan,Ross, EP, AG or Vuc on draft night.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,371

Post#46 » by PrimeThyme » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:28 pm

PennytoShaq wrote:
PrimeShaq wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:

It's not. That frees 27 million up in the books if Pg13 leaves. I don't think losing evan and vuc means our team will not be good. It very well could make us better depending on other moves that Hammond makes. Maybe he combos 25 plus a player and moves up to draft someone at pick 9-12. If #6 was such a sure thing as a future star, we would not have hundreds of pages of debate of which guy to take.

By all intelligence, it sounds like Isaac is the guy we would take. Tons of people seem to think that Isaac will never be a lead scorer. I am a big fan of Isaac myself, but it's been a huge debate here for months.

It's not going to happen. We won't get Paul George here. But if we did, and he left, we would have a lot of open cap space and a rather athletic lineup to watch this season. It's the only reason I made my post - simply a what if, or why.

What it sounds like will happen is that about anyone could be traded from this current roster. I am very interested in if the Magic try and move Evan,Ross, EP, AG or Vuc on draft night.

In my opinion that speaks to just how deep this draft is. In a normal year I would tend to agree with you there but I know you've been in the draft threads for months as I have, and know just how much draft experts value this draft. Jonathan Givony the main draft express guy just got on radio yeasterday and said it was maybe the best draft he's covered in the 14 years he's been there because of its depth and that we are in a great position with the 6th pick, saying that it's a 6 person draft.

I see your point, I just personally feel that the 6th overall pick alone this year is more valuable in the long term than a year rental of Paul George.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#47 » by Blue_and_Whte » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:38 pm

We've already tried the 1 year rental idea and it didn't work out.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Supreme
Starter
And1: 338

Post#48 » by Supreme » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:39 pm

No way. With LAL and CLE already in the mix...I just don't see it happening at this point in his career.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,143

Post#49 » by Def Swami » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:35 pm

This dream needs to end now. PG has his sights set for LA.
ralphie9898
Analyst
And1: 390

Post#50 » by ralphie9898 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:05 pm

PrimeShaq wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:
PrimeShaq wrote:

In my opinion that speaks to just how deep this draft is. In a normal year I would tend to agree with you there but I know you've been in the draft threads for months as I have, and know just how much draft experts value this draft. Jonathan Givony the main draft express guy just got on radio yeasterday and said it was maybe the best draft he's covered in the 14 years he's been there because of its depth and that we are in a great position with the 6th pick, saying that it's a 6 person draft.

I see your point, I just personally feel that the 6th overall pick alone this year is more valuable in the long term than a year rental of Paul George.

Yeah I agree on our pick just having too much value to us to trade especially for a one year rental like George. I am just adding to you argument. What would we do with that cap space? I doubt anyone sees us as an attractive destination. We wouldn't have a potential star from this class if we trade our 6th. Our pick next very well could end up being more around 10 with George on board for a year. So we would be in bad position and would most likely have to spend our money on guys more like Biyombo or Augustin. So yeah I agree our pick as well as next years pick should not be on the table. If Indiana wants to take some of our bigger deals like Fournier and Vuc then I would be all for it but I expect Indiana to get better offers than what we could muster so yeah don't count on it.

Return to Orlando Magic