ImageImageImageImage

Latest cap projections and their impact on us

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

ralphie9898
Analyst
And1: 390

Latest cap projections and their impact on us 

Post#1 » by ralphie9898 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:02 am

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/246400/NBAs-Salary-Cap-Estimate-For-17-18-Drops-To-$99M

So we now have 2 mill less in space so it is more like we have about 12 mill in space. So anyone looking to sign some big names it doesn't look like that is going to happen. We would have to clear some room by trading some of our existing contracts which isn't easy to do and much harder to predict who goes out and who comes in. But the money that comes in has to be less to add anymore available funds.
AddiFB
Veteran
And1: 2,513

Re: Latest cap projections and their impact on us 

Post#2 » by AddiFB » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:12 am

Such a small cap space and even less to show for it. What a time to be a Magic fan!
- Orlando Magic fan since 1991 -
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#3 » by fendilim » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:22 am

I really doubt we can attract some good names given the whole new regime and **** going on the past few years. So I think this is good for us. The smaller salary cap could possibly make some teams consider dumping some salaries with future compensation.
axl_c_cool
Analyst
And1: 846

Post#4 » by axl_c_cool » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:43 am

What they could potentially do is help us gain a young player for taking on salary like Brooklyn did. We currently sit on $78M if we don't resign any of our free agents, guaranteed contracts (CJ Watson) and before draft picks. I'm not an expert but after spending roughly $5M on contracts in the draft that would leave us on around $83M and with $16M in cap space. I could be wrong so if someone with better knowledge or understanding can correct me please do, but if we took on a bad contract like Deng's and for Ingram, Bledsoe's to move up to #4, or Temple for #10 it could give us an opportunity to gain a young asset while we build. These are just examples and not what I'm saying will happen, but something we should look into, we won't be competing for a few years anyway, so we can take contracts for young players and build like this for now
FORMALLY LC MAGIC
Flannerz
Pro Prospect
And1: 499

Post#5 » by Flannerz » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:06 pm

We weren't going to get anyone big anyway so I doubt it affects us too much.
MagicalPatience
Freshman
And1: 43

Post#6 » by MagicalPatience » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:30 pm

Yeah this was going to be a summer of trades and draft picks. Nobody would willingly come here..
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#7 » by Nyce_1 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:34 pm

I think CJ's contract becomes a little more valuable. Hopefully we can turn it into an asset.

I wish we had a team option for Green, for a 2nd year. that would've been a HUGE asset today.
TodGre
Sophomore
And1: 28

Re: RE: Re: Latest cap projections and their impact on us 

Post#8 » by TodGre » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:40 pm

axl_c_cool wrote:What they could potentially do is help us gain a young player for taking on salary like Brooklyn did. We currently sit on $78M if we don't resign any of our free agents, guaranteed contracts (CJ Watson) and before draft picks. I'm not an expert but after spending roughly $5M on contracts in the draft that would leave us on around $83M and with $16M in cap space. I could be wrong so if someone with better knowledge or understanding can correct me please do, but if we took on a bad contract like Deng's and for Ingram, Bledsoe's to move up to #4, or Temple for #10 it could give us an opportunity to gain a young asset while we build. These are just examples and not what I'm saying will happen, but something we should look into, we won't be competing for a few years anyway, so we can take contracts for young players and build like this for now

That sounds like a good idea but difficult while we already have one bad contract in Biyombo. It comes to mind we could try to trade for Porzingis plus Noah, but we would have to clear cap space to take back Noah. Nobody knows what the asking price is for KP aside from a Top pick plus current upcoming player. I guess we could try Vuc + 6 or AG +6 but I dunno. Hard to give up #6 this year but for KP it is probably worth it. Can maybe trade back into Top 10 with other assets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using RealGM mobile app
axl_c_cool
Analyst
And1: 846

Re: RE: Re: Latest cap projections and their impact on us 

Post#9 » by axl_c_cool » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:46 pm

TodGre wrote:
axl_c_cool wrote:What they could potentially do is help us gain a young player for taking on salary like Brooklyn did. We currently sit on $78M if we don't resign any of our free agents, guaranteed contracts (CJ Watson) and before draft picks. I'm not an expert but after spending roughly $5M on contracts in the draft that would leave us on around $83M and with $16M in cap space. I could be wrong so if someone with better knowledge or understanding can correct me please do, but if we took on a bad contract like Deng's and for Ingram, Bledsoe's to move up to #4, or Temple for #10 it could give us an opportunity to gain a young asset while we build. These are just examples and not what I'm saying will happen, but something we should look into, we won't be competing for a few years anyway, so we can take contracts for young players and build like this for now

That sounds like a good idea but difficult while we already have one bad contract in Biyombo. It comes to mind we could try to trade for Porzingis plus Noah, but we would have to clear cap space to take back Noah. Nobody knows what the asking price is for KP aside from a Top pick plus current upcoming player. I guess we could try Vuc + 6 or AG +6 but I dunno. Hard to give up #6 this year but for KP it is probably worth it. Can maybe trade back into Top 10 with other assets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using RealGM mobile app

If we take 14M of Noah's contract, give up 6 with one of Ross/Vucevic/Fournier for KP, then use what's left to get back into the top 9-10 it could be a great summer. It won't happen, but Payton/Monk/Hezonja/Gordon/KP is something to start with
FORMALLY LC MAGIC
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,135

Post#10 » by rcklsscognition » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:43 pm

We have ~30 million invested in the most useless position in the NBA this era.
ralphie9898
Analyst

Post#11 » by ralphie9898 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:12 pm

fendilim wrote:I really doubt we can attract some good names given the whole new regime and **** going on the past few years. So I think this is good for us. The smaller salary cap could possibly make some teams consider dumping some salaries with future compensation.

Yeah I am with u on that. I have zero interest in the free agent market as I don't want any more Biyombo's or Augustin's. I too would explore using that little bit of cap space to help a team looking to dump salaries so they can get the free agent they want while we get a young prospect or draft picks in return. For example we take either Lou Williams or Trevor Ariza or both(if we can) and we get Sam Dekker or Montrez Harrell or a future draft pick from Houston.
ralphie9898
Analyst

Post#12 » by ralphie9898 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:22 pm

Actually we have about 86 mill in payroll this coming season(assuming we renounce all our free agents which I think is expected). We can waive waive Watson and clear 4 mill but it takes the same amount to sign our draft picks. So with a 99 mill cap we only have about 13 mill in cap space. I also would have to argue that we could get a guy like Ingram for taking on Deng's bad contract(which is a deal I would not take on). I think you gotta aim smaller from the Lakers. I think something like we take Ariza or Lou Williams from Houston and we get Sam Dekker or Montrez Harrell or future draft pick is more likely.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,147

Post#13 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:46 pm

So moral of the story is, unless you are completely sure your team is playoff caliber dont go and spend long term on average veteran free agents.
aka: prorl

Return to Orlando Magic