ImageImageImageImage

Welcome Jonathan Isaac

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,719

Re: Welcome Jonathan Isaac 

Post#321 » by basketballRob » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:12 am

PennytoShaq wrote:The top 2 guys ran their team's offenses and showed that type of NBA potential. Josh Jackson has arguably less skill than Isaac, but has great size and speed, and is a physical specimen. So I believe it boiled down to who the Suns liked better in terms of fit. The Kings desperately needed a PG, and Fox could end up the best in class if he gets his shot going. So Isaac fell into the Magic's lap.And many say he could end up being the best player taken when all is said and done, we shall see.

Short answer is that this was a really, really deep draft.

If Boston took Jackson, Phoenix looked sold on Isaac, and the Kings may of took Tatum. Luckily for us Jackson blew off Boston.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,290

Post#322 » by pepe1991 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:46 am

Nyce_1 wrote:Serious question, why did he fall? Seeing and reading the things I've come across AFTER the draft makes me believe he should've gone #1. Are 5 players really better than him or have that high a potential over him?

Because of medical record ( or lack of the same ) and serious question how his stats would look if he actually did have bigger role on offense, and can he handle bigger offensive load.
Guys like Jackson, Tatum , Smith Futz, or in past Wiggins all took around 360-440 FGA in their college years so their stats had bigger sample size than Isaac and his 256 FGA ( 8 FGA per game ).

Also his production was inconsistent as it get, even at college level. When you look at Tatum (somebody i wasn't really that high on ) he was getting 20-ish points ( in 12 of last 13 games at the end of a season he went over 10 points, 8 times scored 18 or more points in that period ) . On other hand Isaac and his offensive production : 2 points against Clemson ( took 2 shots in 19 min ) than his best game 21 points againt North Carolina ( 10 FGA, 11 free trows ) , than 4 point game vs Norte Dame ( 6 FGA,0 free trows ),than 3 games in a row with 11-14-14 points to two games where he combined for total of 10 points ( 8 vs Duke, 2 vs Miami). He finished season with 4 of 6 games below 10 points.

In general , at college level he never took more than 13 FGA, and he only took 10 FGA or more 10 times in whole season.
You can blame coaching and Bacon for that but you can also blame him for not being "alpha " enough and more agressive.

So when you put it in perspective, guys like Josh Jackson or Ball were with scouts under microscope because sample size of their playing style and usage was simply huge to allow scouts and fans to nitpick. When it comes to guys like Isaac you simply don't know because you didn't see enough. That makes him "hipster" pick where he is attractive for all good things he does ,because he didn't have much time to showcase bad things. It was same story with Hezonja " he can't get bigger role his coach sucks and Barcelona is contender" , and in reality he didn't play much because he couldn't handle more. I hope that Isaac will turn out to be great and exceed my expetations . So to answer your question, most scouts and teams who picked before Orlando went into -proven good with chance to be great than Isaac and his- potentially good, could be amazing.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,107

Post#323 » by tiderulz » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:57 am

basketballRob wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:The top 2 guys ran their team's offenses and showed that type of NBA potential. Josh Jackson has arguably less skill than Isaac, but has great size and speed, and is a physical specimen. So I believe it boiled down to who the Suns liked better in terms of fit. The Kings desperately needed a PG, and Fox could end up the best in class if he gets his shot going. So Isaac fell into the Magic's lap.And many say he could end up being the best player taken when all is said and done, we shall see.

If Boston took Jackson, Phoenix looked sold on Isaac, and the Kings may of took Tatum. Luckily for us Jackson blew off Boston.

Problem with PHX, they already drafted Bender and Chriss. They needed a SF more than another PF type prospect
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,356

Post#324 » by Knightro » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:00 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:Serious question, why did he fall? Seeing and reading the things I've come across AFTER the draft makes me believe he should've gone #1. Are 5 players really better than him or have that high a potential over him?

Fultz is a better prospect. Don't think maybe people would argue that.

The other four guys in front of him, including Ball, I wouldn't say were significantly better prospects. They were all in the same tier IMO.

I personally had Isaac as the 4th best prospect (behind Fultz/Ball/Jackson) and firmly in Tier 2 with Fultz being the only guy in Tier 1. If you have a bunch of players ranked similarly, that's when you go with fit/need.

Lakers needed a PG after dumping Russell, plus the splashiness of the local kid was too much to pass up.

The Celtics were apparently in love with Tatum even though I think Isaac or Jackson would have been a better fit.

Phoenix just drafted Chriss and Bender last year and needed more of a 2/3 than a 3/4.

Sacramento was apparently in Love with Fox and also desperately needed a PG.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,107

Post#325 » by tiderulz » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:05 pm

Knightro wrote:

Fultz is a better prospect. Don't think maybe people would argue that.

The other four guys in front of him, including Ball, I wouldn't say were significantly better prospects. They were all in the same tier IMO.

I personally had Isaac as the 4th best prospect (behind Fultz/Ball/Jackson) and firmly in Tier 2 with Fultz being the only guy in Tier 1. If you have a bunch of players ranked similarly, that's when you go with fit/need.

Lakers needed a PG after dumping Russell, plus the splashiness of the local kid was too much to pass up.

The Celtics were apparently in love with Tatum even though I think Isaac or Jackson would have been a better fit.

Phoenix just drafted Chriss and Bender last year and needed more of a 2/3 than a 3/4.

Sacramento was apparently in Love with Fox and also desperately needed a PG.

i'd say it was the other way around. Lakers were zero'd in on Ball and moved Russell to make things easier on themselves, especially if Ball has trouble early in the season.

And i agree that Sacramento was in love with Fox, both as a player and as a leader.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#326 » by yoyojw17 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:32 pm

basketballRob wrote:

If he played at Kentucky or Duke he might of got more consideration at 1. He probably would've been the first pick in the Oladipo draft and maybe the Gordon draft.

The biggest threat to take him I think was Boston. The Kings didn't get a workout either.

I was about to say the same. If he sacrificed numbers as a low usage player..... and played the role asked of him .... while putting up these same numbers on Kentucky, Duke or Kansas..... I wouldn't be surprised if his outlook would have been much different!
PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Post#327 » by PennytoShaq » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:51 pm

Isaac's situation is not like Hezonja in any way. Isaac brings a totally different attitude to the table and there is plenty of film of him competing at IMG and against his lottery peers. Not even close to the same thing of taking a shot on a Euro pick.
MAGICian619
Bench Warmer
And1: 888

Post#328 » by MAGICian619 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:56 pm

This is what I keep thinking about. For the first time in a long time, it feels like the Orlando Magic got lucky. It feels good!
MAGICian619
Bench Warmer
And1: 888

Post#329 » by MAGICian619 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:09 pm

basketballRob wrote:

20 years from now we will be watching a 30 for 30 on how Josh Jackson's (by then a forgotten name) canceled workout changed the team that got Jonathan Isaac (next all time great). :D
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#330 » by OrlandoDream » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:32 pm

PennytoShaq wrote:Isaac's situation is not like Hezonja in any way. Isaac brings a totally different attitude to the table and there is plenty of film of him competing at IMG and against his lottery peers. Not even close to the same thing of taking a shot on a Euro pick.

For real. Isaac is more NBA ready to contribute as a rookie then probably Hezonja will be by next season's end. His defense alone will keep him on the court.

Also drafting Isaac and Iwundu means more competition for mario. Mario has to have a complete breakout year or i wouldn't be surprised if the team just deals him for a second like Moe. So far to this point in his career, he has played like a complete bust. As a fan I hope he improves but lets be realistic here. The guy is a career 6th man at best.
magicman112
Head Coach
And1: 1,888

Post#331 » by magicman112 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:36 pm

Just watched this of Isaac going against DSJ's Wolfpack. What was most impressive to me in this is his BB IQ. When they trap and he gets the ball from the trapped player there's no hesitation. He attacks the basket just like he should in that situation.
magicman112
Head Coach

Post#332 » by magicman112 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:38 pm

OrlandoDream wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:Isaac's situation is not like Hezonja in any way. Isaac brings a totally different attitude to the table and there is plenty of film of him competing at IMG and against his lottery peers. Not even close to the same thing of taking a shot on a Euro pick.

For real. Isaac is more NBA ready to contribute as a rookie then probably Hezonja will be by next season's end. His defense alone will keep him on the court.

Also drafting Isaac and Iwundu means more competition for mario. Mario has to have a complete breakout year or i wouldn't be surprised if the team just deals him for a second like Moe. So far to this point in his career, he has played like a complete bust. As a fan I hope he improves but lets be realistic here. The guy is a career 6th man at best.

Yeah I'm not ready to give up completely on Mario but it's really on him at this point. The guy has talent, we got to see a few more flashes of it at the end of the year but this season he has to put it all together. He doesn't have to be a star, just be able to come in and knock down some 3s when they're needed and make a few plays.
PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Post#333 » by PennytoShaq » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:36 pm

magicman112 wrote:

Just watched this of Isaac going against DSJ's Wolfpack. What was most impressive to me in this is his BB IQ. When they trap and he gets the ball from the trapped player there's no hesitation. He attacks the basket just like he should in that situation.

This is one of the games where I was thinking - " I hope to god we get this guy". He did it all in this game and even rejected DSJ at the rim for some extra flair.
Tayswagzzz
Analyst
And1: 1,701

Post#334 » by Tayswagzzz » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:51 pm

I'm really excited to see this draft class in general...this was supposedly a very stacked draft.
Orlando Magic | Atlanta Braves | Florida State
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,593

Post#335 » by SOUL » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:00 am

orl-magic
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#336 » by orl-magic » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:10 am

KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,011

Post#337 » by KillMonger » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:25 am

Ok I've come around to Isaac, couple of you made good points that made me think about the big picture.... I won't give those couple the satisfaction of giving them props though..... I'm still a little salty lol

Sent from my expensive phone using my hands
orl-magic
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#338 » by orl-magic » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:03 am

magicman112
Head Coach

Post#339 » by magicman112 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:26 pm

orl-magic wrote:

You can really see his defensive abilities here. He does a really good job of staying with his man, staying in passing lanes, and anticipation for steals and blocks. Even something as small as putting his arm up while he goes through the lane with a cutting player. That's where I think he will contribute the most to the team right away, similar to AG when he first got here.
Dancing Raddish
Pro Prospect
And1: 8

Post#340 » by Dancing Raddish » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:00 pm

What will Jonathan Issac's stat line be at the end of this season???? Any takers...?

Return to Orlando Magic