ImageImageImageImage

Welcome Wesley Iwundu

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,903

Re: Welcome Wesley Iwundu 

Post#21 » by Knightro » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:41 pm

Marble feels like a lazy comparison.

Right off the bat, Marble is shorter with a much shorter wingspan and much shorter standing reach. Also Marble had a weaker no-step vertical and max vertical at the combine.

-Iwundu a much better defender all throughout college than Marble ever showed - 3.8 career DBPM to just 1.5 for Marble.
-Iwundu also a significantly better rebounder - 12.3% to 5.9%.
-The edge in shooting also goes to Iwundu - .481/.376/.767 as a senior compared to .420/.349/.714 for Marble.

What Marble had going for him over Iwundu is the fact that he had the ball in his hands a lot more at Iowa (28.4 USG% to 22.3%) so his raw numbers look better. But Marble is smaller, shorter, the lesser athlete, the lesser defensive player, the lesser shooter and the lesser rebounder.
magicfan4life88
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#22 » by magicfan4life88 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:43 pm

I keep reading he can play some pg, I'm not expecting major contributions to the team but hope he makes opening night roster, everyone who loved Isaac because of his length should love this guy too
MAGIC BABY!!!!!!!!!
-Magic-
-Ravens-
-Rays-
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,167

Post#23 » by cedric76 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:44 pm

Nice bench player

Sent from my SM-A310F using RealGM mobile app
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,271

Post#24 » by JBSouthpaw » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:52 pm

magicfan4life88 wrote:I keep reading he can play some pg, I'm not expecting major contributions to the team but hope he makes opening night roster, everyone who loved Isaac because of his length should love this guy too

I'm just hoping he comes in and pushes Mario super hard.

May the best man win between He, Mario and Ross.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,060

Post#25 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:06 pm

He looks like he can be the current version of Shaun Livingston, maybe a Doug Christie Sacramento days type player. If that is the case that would a huge find for a 2nd rounder.
aka: prorl
Melvinlocker
Bench Warmer
And1: 650

Post#26 » by Melvinlocker » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:06 pm

Knightro wrote:Let's dive into the numbers.

Iwundu was remarkably consistent on the defensive end of the floor in college. Never had a DBPM below 3.4 in four years. To compare to other guard/wing prospects drafted in the same range...

DBPM
Josh Hart (30th): 4.0
Wesley Iwundu (33rd): 3.4
Davon Reed (32nd): 3.3
Derrick White (29th): 3.2
Frank Mason (34th): 1.5
Jawun Evans (39th): 1.4
Frank Jackson (31st): 0.2
Semi Ojeleye (37th): 0.2

Iwundu graded out pretty favorably on the defensive end of the floor with the other guys selected in his range. He's quick, he moves his feet well and he's remarkably long. 7'1" wingspan and 8'9 ½" standing reach for a guy that's a shade under 6'7" is excellent. It's kind of cliche to say that Weltman/Hammond have a type already, but two draft picks into the regime and they went with two of the longest players in the draft at their positions.

Read on Twitter

Draft Express had him mocked at 57 on June 18th, then jumped him all the way to 39th on June 19th before eventually settling him into the 36th spot in their final mock. Sounds like Iwundu did extremely well on the draft workout scene and really boosted his stock.

Read on Twitter

This guy knew. Good reporting from the K-State beat writer to nail this one hours before the pick.

Read on Twitter

The game O'Connor is referring to, is this one: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400946444 where Iwundu had 24 points on 9 shots, 6 rebounds and 7 assists leading his team to a victory over a Wake Forest.

Let's talk about the passing skills.

Iwundu, despite playing SG/SF at K-State, led the Wildcats in assists as a junior and was second on the team as a senior. 24.6 and 22.9 AST% his last two years as a wing is excellent. Let's compare.

AST%
Jawun Evans (39th): 43.6
Derrick White (29th): 28.6
Frank Mason (34th): 26.1
Wesley Iwundu (33rd): 24.6
Josh Hart (30th): 18.8
Davon Reed (32nd): 14.4
Frank Jackson (31st): 12.6
Semi Ojeleye (37th): 9.3

The three guys ahead of Iwundu on the list were all point guards for their college teams, so the fact Iwundu is even close to White/Mason (who each had USG% 25.6 compared to Iwundu's 22.3) is impressive.

The other thing Iwundu did really well at K-State was rebound the basketball. 12.3% is tremendous for a wing and you'll see that he outpaced everyone selected in his range. Admittedly, several of these players played PG, so the opportunities wouldn't be there as much, but I think it's worth noting that Iwundu held his own/excelled as a passer combined to the rest of the group, while being the best rebounder.

REB%
Wesley Iwundu (33rd): 12.3
Josh Hart (30th): 12.2
Semi Ojeleye (37th): 11.8
Davon Reed (32nd): 8.1
Derrick White (29th): 7.0
Jawun Evans (39th): 6.8
Frank Mason (34th): 6.4
Frank Jackson (31st): 5.8

The biggest question for Iwundu is simple. Are his improvements shooting real or just sample size noise? His 3PT% and FT% both saw pretty dramatic increases as a senior. Is that the real Iwundu and his shooting developing, or are we looking at a guy who won't be able to get on the floor on the wing because he can't space?

Statistically, it looks very promising for Iwundu as a defender, passer and rebounder. His long-term prospects all boil down to how well he can shoot the ball in the NBA.

I couldn't agree more. Great analysis.
Melvinlocker
Bench Warmer
And1: 650

Post#27 » by Melvinlocker » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:13 pm

The exciting thing for me is that we could probably run: Iwundu, Fournier, Ross, Gordon & Isaac on the court in some small ball lineups in a few years (Isaac would need to bulk up some more).
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Post#28 » by Xatticus » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:32 pm

pepe1991 wrote:What pisses me off on this forum is how hostile it gets to a people who don't agree with "common sense". Example, if you go back and read Jeff Green- to Magic thread, Blue Balls and Xatticus were pretty much only people who hated it. Naturally, lot of people who feel a need to defend player just because he plays for Magic jumped of them. One moderator whose name I will not mention (starts on S, 4 letters) said that Jeff Green and Harris are "copy past same players".

And ofc our expert for positions PennyToShaq also said "Some of you guys think so black and white. Saying Green should "play the 4" or we already have Vuc so Ibaka won't play 5 is just not even close to being in line with what the Magic are doing. And the funny thing is Rob explains what we are doing and people still don't get it."

Segway to this topic- literally nobody, me included even knew who this guy is until Magic drafted him 8 hours ago, now people already saying how he is great player and can play few positions in nba. Guy is 22, soon to be 23 years old rookie who needed 4 years to become contributor at college level. Just because Magic drafted him it doesn't make him good. It makes him prospect with low floor and low ceiling.

If it means anything... I was very high on both of the guys we picked.

I suspect there were a few guys that really intrigued our front office, but as they slipped off the board we decided to accept a trade out of 25. The comment from Weltman about the draft flattening out tells me that the players we liked were off the board. If I had to guess, DJ Wilson was probably one and perhaps OG Anunoby or Jarrett Allen. Giles might've even been under consideration at 25. I also don't believe that our front office was that high on Iwundu either, as you don't take a chance at him reaching 33 when you had the 25th pick if you are really enamored with his potential.

All of that said, I like Iwundu a lot. I knew nothing about him during his college career. I don't recall watching any KSU games. The first time I started to dig into his game was when his name started popping up at the end of mock drafts. He's athletic and impacts the game in a lot of ways because he plays hard. He can handle the ball and create for others. The development in his game is easily discerned through his college statistics. He's a non-prospect without demonstrable improvement in his shooting in his final season at KSU. He might be 22.5, but he is clearly still improving and I still see a lot of room for growth.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,662

Post#29 » by MagicMatic » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:42 pm

I like this pick a lot. Best part of the draft by a long shot.
magicfan4life88
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#30 » by magicfan4life88 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:44 pm

[tweet]Iwundu played PG at Kansas State, I really need somebody to step up & ask if theyre possibly considering him as a 6-7 PG....[/tweet]
MAGIC BABY!!!!!!!!!
-Magic-
-Ravens-
-Rays-
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#31 » by Knightro » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:54 pm

magicfan4life88 wrote:[tweet]Iwundu played PG at Kansas State, I really need somebody to step up & ask if theyre possibly considering him as a 6-7 PG....[/tweet]

Iwundu didn't really play point guard in the traditional sense at K-State. He was an excellent passer out of pick and roll, but Stokes was their PG.

I think Iwundu could potentially be a good secondary ball handler/passer in the NBA, but he's a 2 with some skills of a 1 more than a 1.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,816

Post#32 » by drsd » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:11 pm

If Iwundu makes the roster, then this is a good pick.
PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Post#33 » by PennytoShaq » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:26 pm

pepe1991 wrote:What pisses me off on this forum is how hostile it gets to a people who don't agree with "common sense". Example, if you go back and read Jeff Green- to Magic thread, Blue Balls and Xatticus were pretty much only people who hated it. Naturally, lot of people who feel a need to defend player just because he plays for Magic jumped of them. One moderator whose name I will not mention (starts on S, 4 letters) said that Jeff Green and Harris are "copy past same players".

And ofc our expert for positions PennyToShaq also said "Some of you guys think so black and white. Saying Green should "play the 4" or we already have Vuc so Ibaka won't play 5 is just not even close to being in line with what the Magic are doing. And the funny thing is Rob explains what we are doing and people still don't get it."

Segway to this topic- literally nobody, me included even knew who this guy is until Magic drafted him 8 hours ago, now people already saying how he is great player and can play few positions in nba. Guy is 22, soon to be 23 years old rookie who needed 4 years to become contributor at college level. Just because Magic drafted him it doesn't make him good. It makes him prospect with low floor and low ceiling.

Not sure why you are calling me out unless you are still sour about the draft last night. What you quoted that I said was correct in that the Magic should have done those things, and they pivoted to that exact thing too late in the season. And then Ibaka goes to TOR and plays the 5. So, you have no real point except a weak attempt to instigate arguments.

And speaking of that, I read the Pinstriped post last night after you said everyone hated Isaac there. Half the rage posts were made by some guy named Petar Gualin who posts in the exact same manner as you, and most likely is you. So essentially you went from board to board spamming your opinion over and over. Maybe you should relax and get over yourself just a little.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with people who like this pick. Nothing. Your zeal to attack everything the Magic do and attack posters who want to give these guys a chance before declaring them bad is highly annoying.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#34 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:28 pm

He was one of a handful of guys I wanted in round 2, but with Evans available, I would have took him.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,839

Post#35 » by JF5 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:36 pm

tiderulz wrote:
JF5 wrote:Yeah, I just looked him up... He's an all-around player with a lot of quickness... Reminds me a lot of Oladipo...

Hammond has a pretty good track record of drafting well in the second round... Hopefully this is a hit...

Damien Inglis, Johnny OBryant, Lamar PAtterson, Ricky Ledo, Doron Lamb, etc.

I'll give him Brogdon. I wont give him Norman Powell as he was drafted and traded immediately to Toronto.

so not sure where this idea that he finds gems in the 2nd round comes from. really only seems to have found 1.

I'll definitely hope for the best with Iwundu

Jodie Meeks/Jon Leur/Norman Powell/Malcolm Brogdan

All rotational players drafted by the Bucks under Hammond... That's not bad...

And if you don't want to add Powell... You have to credit him for Khris Middleton in that trade which they got rid of Jennings...

Edit: almost forgot about Luc Mbah a Moute
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,074

Post#36 » by tiderulz » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:47 pm

JF5 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
JF5 wrote:Yeah, I just looked him up... He's an all-around player with a lot of quickness... Reminds me a lot of Oladipo...

Hammond has a pretty good track record of drafting well in the second round... Hopefully this is a hit...

I'll give him Brogdon. I wont give him Norman Powell as he was drafted and traded immediately to Toronto.

so not sure where this idea that he finds gems in the 2nd round comes from. really only seems to have found 1.

And if you don't want to add Powell... You have to credit him for Khris Middleton in that trade which they got rid of Jennings...

Powell was basically chosen by Toronto for the trade. I cant credit him for Khris, he didnt draft him. I can credit him for the acquisition, but not the draft scouting. I mentioned Brogdon.
Landshark
Senior
And1: 360

Post#37 » by Landshark » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:52 pm

Maybe he can become a Lance Stephenson type? I'm concerned with his strength, especially since he's already 22 and has less room to develop.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#38 » by Knightro » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:52 pm

drsd wrote:If Iwundu makes the roster, then this is a good pick.

Considering the Magic only have 8 guys with guaranteed contracts right now, I'd imagine Iwundu is a lock to make the roster.

He and Isaac would make 9 and 10. Zimmerman would make 11. That still leaves four roster spots open.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,839

Post#39 » by JF5 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:02 pm

tiderulz wrote:
JF5 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

Powell was basically chosen by Toronto for the trade. I cant credit him for Khris, he didnt draft him. I can credit him for the acquisition, but not the draft scouting. I mentioned Brogdon.

Still shoots a pretty good percentage on 2nd round picks... Compared to most other GM's he does a pretty solid job at acquiring rotational guys in the 2nd round.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#40 » by Knightro » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:16 pm

The more I watch this kid, the more interested I am in the Magic at least giving him some reps at point guard in the summer league to see how it goes.

I doubt he could handle it full time, but maybe he shows enough ball handling chops in limited situations against backups... would be huge for his long-term outlook.

Return to Orlando Magic