ImageImageImageImage

Summer League Roster / Summer League Thread (July 1st)

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,635

Re: Summer League Roster / Summer League Thread (July 1st) 

Post#321 » by thelead » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:52 am

I am on record for saying I wanted DSJ over JI but DSJ has no regard for his body. That dunk attempt was reckless and it wasn't the first time this week he's landed awkwardly. If I'm being honest with myself, I would have probably drafted JI over the DSJ injury concerns... that said, I hope DSJ stays healthy. He is electric.
ORL_on_FIRE
Starter
And1: 1,849

Post#322 » by ORL_on_FIRE » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:58 am

thelead wrote:I am on record for saying I wanted DSJ over JI but DSJ has no regard for his body. That dunk attempt was reckless and it wasn't the first time this week he's landed awkwardly. If I'm being honest with myself, I would have probably drafted JI over the DSJ injury concerns... that said, I hope DSJ stays healthy. He is electric.

This. Everytime I watch him I'm worried he's going to spring himself into an injury.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,399

Post#323 » by Bensational » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:04 am

This is such an amazing looking draft class so far. Only 1 player in the top 9 hasn't yet shown that look to be on track to be a future allstar. Plus Donovan Mitchell.

It's only summer league, but I hope the league just got a major influx of talent. It's only gonna make the game more exciting to watch.
Darth Magic
Veteran
And1: 707

Post#324 » by Darth Magic » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:19 am

ORL_on_FIRE wrote:
thelead wrote:I am on record for saying I wanted DSJ over JI but DSJ has no regard for his body. That dunk attempt was reckless and it wasn't the first time this week he's landed awkwardly. If I'm being honest with myself, I would have probably drafted JI over the DSJ injury concerns... that said, I hope DSJ stays healthy. He is electric.

This. Everytime I watch him I'm worried he's going to spring himself into an injury.

Honestly, i had the same concern for Slender Man. Look back at the highlights. He lands very badly. Before he got hurt i was concerned about it.
"Real Gs move in silence; like lasagna" Jeff Weltman
ORL_on_FIRE
Starter

Post#325 » by ORL_on_FIRE » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:24 am

Darth Magic wrote:
ORL_on_FIRE wrote:

Honestly, i had the same concern for Slender Man. Look back at the highlights. He lands very badly. Before he got hurt i was concerned about it.

Eventhough you got his nickname wrong. Me too I thought the same thing.
Darth Magic
Veteran
And1: 707

Post#326 » by Darth Magic » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:31 am

ORL_on_FIRE wrote:
Darth Magic wrote:
ORL_on_FIRE wrote:

Eventhough you got his nickname wrong. Me too I thought the same thing.

Wait. He got an official one now? :lol:
"Real Gs move in silence; like lasagna" Jeff Weltman
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,775

Post#327 » by OrlandoNed » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:05 am

Ugh, we are going to regret passing on DSJ. When was the last time we had a guard that athletic and explosive with a jumper that wet?

A star is a guy who is a true number #1 option for a team's offense who can create his own shot and score wherever on the floor and not need to rely on others to be able to do so. DSJ has these qualities, the "unicorn" we took does not, I believe. Even if I believed Isaac does have that potential, we haven't seen a damn thing from this franchise over the last 5 years that proves we can properly develop our players or know which ones to keep or know when to give up on.
Jameerthefear
Starter
And1: 1,716

Post#328 » by Jameerthefear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:05 am

ORL_on_FIRE wrote:If I was DSJ I'd be worried about them D Rose comparisons.

If he's D-Rose without injuries that's INSANELY good.
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,775

Post#329 » by OrlandoNed » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:09 am

Jameerthefear wrote:

I'd welcome the Rose comps. Hell he looks like Rose with a better jump shot. He was an incredible player before he started getting unlucky with those injuries.
Jameerthefear
Starter
And1: 1,716

Post#330 » by Jameerthefear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:19 am

We need to drop the Orlando Summer League garbage and just go to Vegas. They shot themselves in the foot by not making it public, now no one cares about it at all. I know it's not always about showcasing players but that's how you get fans excited about the team. Not our closed door summer league where very few prospects but out own play. I think if Isaac played in Vegas some of these people begging for DSJr would be a lot quieter.
ORL_on_FIRE
Starter

Post#331 » by ORL_on_FIRE » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:20 am

Jameerthefear wrote:

Extremely good. I'm just more so talking about the injury aspect of it.
NBAchamps2017
Pro Prospect
And1: 336

Post#332 » by NBAchamps2017 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:45 am

OrlandoNed wrote:Ugh, we are going to regret passing on DSJ. When was the last time we had a guard that athletic and explosive with a jumper that wet?

A star is a guy who is a true number #1 option for a team's offense who can create his own shot and score wherever on the floor and not need to rely on others to be able to do so. DSJ has these qualities, the "unicorn" we took does not, I believe. Even if I believed Isaac does have that potential, we haven't seen a damn thing from this franchise over the last 5 years that proves we can properly develop our players or know which ones to keep or know when to give up on.

I am sure somebody on the 'Its just summer league' bandwagon will quickly jump on you. Its just a matter of time now.......
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,006

Re: RE: Re: Summer League Roster / Summer League Thread (July 1st) 

Post#333 » by KillMonger » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:07 am

Jameerthefear wrote:We need to drop the Orlando Summer League garbage and just go to Vegas. They shot themselves in the foot by not making it public, now no one cares about it at all. I know it's not always about showcasing players but that's how you get fans excited about the team. Not our closed door summer league where very few prospects but out own play. I think if Isaac played in Vegas some of these people begging for DSJr would be a lot quieter.

Dude, it's summer league.... It's not that important, it's just another means to an end.....another weeding out process

Sent from my expensive phone using my hands
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,514

Post#334 » by DiplomaticMagic » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:36 am

Really wanted DSJ draft night, and it's killing me watching him ball out.

Only thing keeping me grounded is that I still believe Elfrid can be a great PG.
STOP PLAYING FULTZ
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,147

Post#335 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:54 am

The NBA is a guard league and this guy is going to be a big star. We may regret not picking him.

Sent from my SM-N920V using RealGM mobile app
aka: prorl
melasdas
Junior
And1: 302

Post#336 » by melasdas » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:59 am

I have been crying on these boards about selecting Isaac over Smith. I said the draft night that this would be the most regretful decision in the recent Magic history. Now Im reading how every day there are more people who say that we should selected Smith. In the general board Ive read that he has been the most impressive rookie. You cant simply pass on a player who: athletic freak, alpha dog character, explosive, efficient attacking the rim, good shooter...

Isaac is gonna be a good role player, great rim protector and good rebounder, but anything more than that.

Smith is gonna be a superstar.

And our franchise has the worst management in the whole nba.

And the worst of all, we cant learn from our mistakes.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,599

Post#337 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:39 pm

When it comes to DSJ, I find it humorous when haters claim that his ceiling is low as he is already the player he can be. Kid is 19 years old, same age as Isaac. We have no clue how high these kids can go.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,091

Post#338 » by yoyojw17 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:40 pm

Had a feeling all this love was going to occur for Dennis Smith. The guy looks very damn impressive.

Needless to say JIsaac's had a lack luster first game.... and rebounded amazingly in the next. Was killing it in the first half of the 3rd game before he pulled the rest of the games as a precaution.....but of course that all becomes an afterthought for most people and want to make their point by making Isaac seem marginal. On that note.... I'm still happy as hell with the Isaac selection and will probably still do it again on this day if there was a redraft. BUT..... don't forget.... even though I would select Isaac still.... doesn't mean that i think DSJ has an amazing upside as well. I just prefer what Isaac can potentially bring to the table at full potential. It's not a I like Isaac and hate DSJ.... i love both players.... just like Isaac a tad more. My best outcome would have been us trading up (how... i don't know) and having selected both players. lol
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#339 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:23 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:When it comes to DSJ, I find it humorous when haters claim that his ceiling is low as he is already the player he can be. Kid is 19 years old, same age as Isaac. We have no clue how high these kids can go.

I think pretty high. The thought of the "next Giannis" wormed into everyone's head because they saw a tall kid with long arms and some perimeter skills which our FO guys are enamored with. People are always trying to find the "Next insert star players name." and imo that's dangerous. I completely agree that you cant take a lot out of SL statistics, but you can watch this guy and physically see aspects of his game that could be elite.

Watching him play in college he pretty much checked all the boxes in terms of team needs and thus far SL is reaffirming my beliefs. I'm hoping Ji absolutely blows up but tbh i hope we didn't pick the wrong guy. The last thing this team needs is another high draft pick being a bust or becoming just a role player.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Post#340 » by PennytoShaq » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:34 pm

melasdas wrote:I have been crying on these boards about selecting Isaac over Smith. I said the draft night that this would be the most regretful decision in the recent Magic history. Now Im reading how every day there are more people who say that we should selected Smith. In the general board Ive read that he has been the most impressive rookie. You cant simply pass on a player who: athletic freak, alpha dog character, explosive, efficient attacking the rim, good shooter...

Isaac is gonna be a good role player, great rim protector and good rebounder, but anything more than that.

Smith is gonna be a superstar.

And our franchise has the worst management in the whole nba.

And the worst of all, we cant learn from our mistakes.

Yep - we noticed. If you really think drafting Isaac will be the worst decision in Magic history, you are clearly a casual fan with zero knowledge of Magic history.

I love how you proclaim Smith to be a superstar after Summer League. These types of over the top responses speak for themselves. The sad part is that if Isaac delivers on his incredibly high ceiling, you will still find something else to whine about.

Return to Orlando Magic