ImageImageImageImage

The Incredible Upside/Potential of Jonathan Isaac

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

bargnanimvp
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,362

Re: The Incredible Upside/Potential of Jonathan Isaac 

Post#261 » by bargnanimvp » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:47 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
Ducklett wrote:Doesn't matter. First bad game he has he will be the new Mario on this forum.

Hahah... that's nearly what happened after his first Summer league game. Were already having their doubt and saying.."I knew we should have selected adebayo.... felt it in my loins this entire time" It's just the nature of some on this board. lol

I thought his first summer league game was fine, his footwork and postioning on defence really impressed me from the get go.
bargnanimvp
Assistant Coach

Post#262 » by bargnanimvp » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:49 pm

Ducklett wrote:Doesn't matter. First bad game he has he will be the new Mario on this forum.

I didn't post here but on other boards i did post on people didn't hate Mario right away, they were optimisic it wasn't until last season people really decided he was bad. He didn't help his case either with his efforts, I can't imagine Isaac just letting guys by him on defence or not even bothering to put his arms up and get into a real defensive stance like hezonja sometimes did.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,091

Post#263 » by yoyojw17 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:31 am

bargnanimvp wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:

Hahah... that's nearly what happened after his first Summer league game. Were already having their doubt and saying.."I knew we should have selected adebayo.... felt it in my loins this entire time" It's just the nature of some on this board. lol

I thought his first summer league game was fine, his footwork and postioning on defence really impressed me from the get go.

oh i did too. Wasn't impressive.... seemed like jitters more than anything else. But people there were some that made quick response to the lackluster performance. hahah.... wasn't talking bout myself.... i love the pick.
bargnanimvp
Assistant Coach

Post#264 » by bargnanimvp » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:41 am

yoyojw17 wrote:
bargnanimvp wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:Hahah... that's nearly what happened after his first Summer league game. Were already having their doubt and saying.."I knew we should have selected adebayo.... felt it in my loins this entire time" It's just the nature of some on this board. lol

oh i did too. Wasn't impressive.... seemed like jitters more than anything else. But people there were some that made quick response to the lackluster performance. hahah.... wasn't talking bout myself.... i love the pick.

Before his first summer league game i was iffy on the pick, not that i thought he was bad but i preffered DSJ. Now i'm not so sure, DSJ would have been better short term but i can see the potential in Isaac
GameOver25
RealGM
And1: 5,704

Post#265 » by GameOver25 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:33 am

Def Swami wrote:
PrimeShaq wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
It's hard to expect anything from his rookie year when team has Ross, AA and Simmons playing SF and Gordon and Speights playing PF. So we are looking for another 13-18 mpg season from lottery pick with Magic.

Everyone on this forum and in the fanbase will want Vogel's head if that is the case. With what he can already bring defensively his minutes shouldn't dip below 23, especially with us being a likely lottery team. Isaac is already the better defender coming out of college than brandon ingram is and ingram got 28 mpg last year.

This is my fear for Isaac. The Magic made some good signings in the off-season, but it gives a coach like Vogel who loves his vets too many options to roll with before Isaac. I could easily see him barely touching 15 mpg, and even getting some DNP's. And yes, the fanbase will call for Vogel's head.

If that's the case I'm ready to call for it now. His Jeff Green love, outranks Chris Duhon/Willie Green duo.
GameOver25
RealGM
And1: 5,704

Post#266 » by GameOver25 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:47 am

AddiFB wrote:
davey_wavy wrote:Haven't seen a single interview where Issac seemed excited too be here. Draft interview was no hat, would have been cool for NY to take me, etc.. At rookie photo shoot he was very fague when asked if he's excited to be in Orlando, also said he was surprised the magic drafted him since he didn't work out for them. I just get a weird vibe from all of this

Wait.. are you and Patrick the same dude?

Quote from the speculation thread:

Patrick1978 wrote:
axl_c_cool wrote:Please do...

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Haven't seen a single interview where Issac seemed excited too be here. Draft interview was no hat, would have been cool for NY to take me, etc.. At rookie photo shoot he was very fague when asked if he's excited to be in Orlando, also said he was surprised the magic drafted him since he didn't work out for them. I just get a weird vibe from all of this.

:thinking: :thinking:

Jameerthefear
Starter
And1: 1,716

Re: RE: The Incredible Upside/Potential of Jonathan Isaac 

Post#267 » by Jameerthefear » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:21 am

PrimeShaq wrote:
Def Swami wrote:
PrimeShaq wrote:Everyone on this forum and in the fanbase will want Vogel's head if that is the case. With what he can already bring defensively his minutes shouldn't dip below 23, especially with us being a likely lottery team. Isaac is already the better defender coming out of college than brandon ingram is and ingram got 28 mpg last year.

This is my fear for Isaac. The Magic made some good signings in the off-season, but it gives a coach like Vogel who loves his vets too many options to roll with before Isaac. I could easily see him barely touching 15 mpg, and even getting some DNP's. And yes, the fanbase will call for Vogel's head.

Honestly, this would be disastrous in my opinion. I would hope if it got that bad that management would step in. We desperately need this draft pick to hit and giving him DNP's and spot minutes like Mario got last year only hurts development. He needs a defined role from the get go.
Mario got spot minutes because he was one of the worst players in the NBA. Don't see that happening with Isaac. Isaac is just a better prospect in every way imo

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Derento
Junior
And1: 114

Post#268 » by Derento » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:31 am

Just looking at his first summer league he was good bit better than Gordon & Hezonja even with his bad first game.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#269 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:35 pm

Def Swami wrote:
PrimeShaq wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
It's hard to expect anything from his rookie year when team has Ross, AA and Simmons playing SF and Gordon and Speights playing PF. So we are looking for another 13-18 mpg season from lottery pick with Magic.

Everyone on this forum and in the fanbase will want Vogel's head if that is the case. With what he can already bring defensively his minutes shouldn't dip below 23, especially with us being a likely lottery team. Isaac is already the better defender coming out of college than brandon ingram is and ingram got 28 mpg last year.

All coaches love vets. This fan base has literally said the same thing about every coach that has been here the last 4 years. "Insert coaches name here sure does love his vets." Playing vets isn't specific to Orlando Magic coaches.

bargnanimvp wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:

Yeah I think people are overreacting to how people..well..reacted to ji's first summer league game. I thought he played well too. And lets not act like everyone in this board doesnt have one or two players on their short leash list. I know I do.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
magicman112
Head Coach
And1: 1,888

Post#270 » by magicman112 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:35 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
bargnanimvp wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:Hahah... that's nearly what happened after his first Summer league game. Were already having their doubt and saying.."I knew we should have selected adebayo.... felt it in my loins this entire time" It's just the nature of some on this board. lol

He did about how I expected I was pretty sure he'd do well on the defensive end which he did blocking shots and rebounding. What impressed me were some of the jumpers he made. He didn't make a lot but a few of the ones he did make were tough ones. The one footed Dirk like one was my favorite.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,280

Re: The Incredible Upside/Potential of Jonathan Isahttp://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/247178/Cavaliers-Fixated-On-Acqu 

Post#271 » by pepe1991 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:33 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
PrimeShaq wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

I think that a lot of people are putting too much into notion of Afflalo's and Speight's playing time. Even from his interview.... afflalo sounded like he "knew his role" for this team and that was more of motivator and mentorship with the possibility of being bigger contributor when asked upon. Speights is entering his 10 season... and has played significant minute (20+ min) once in his career.... and an average of 15 mpg for his entire career. so.... i'm seeing both of them as being great leadership/experience signings more than anything... with the ability to play meaningful minutes if need be.

Afflalo is 31 and Speights is 30, notion that they are there to retire and "pass a torch" is pretty laughable especially if you know that Speights already wanted more money from Atlanta so he views Magic as building block for next contract. Last time Afflalo played below 25 min Andrew Bynum and Mike Beasley were biggest young talents in nba :lol: (2008-09 )
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant

Re: The Incredible Upside/Potential of Jonathan Isahttp://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/247178/Cavaliers-Fixated-On-Acqu 

Post#272 » by yoyojw17 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:09 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:
PrimeShaq wrote:Everyone on this forum and in the fanbase will want Vogel's head if that is the case. With what he can already bring defensively his minutes shouldn't dip below 23, especially with us being a likely lottery team. Isaac is already the better defender coming out of college than brandon ingram is and ingram got 28 mpg last year.

I think that a lot of people are putting too much into notion of Afflalo's and Speight's playing time. Even from his interview.... afflalo sounded like he "knew his role" for this team and that was more of motivator and mentorship with the possibility of being bigger contributor when asked upon. Speights is entering his 10 season... and has played significant minute (20+ min) once in his career.... and an average of 15 mpg for his entire career. so.... i'm seeing both of them as being great leadership/experience signings more than anything... with the ability to play meaningful minutes if need be.

Afflalo is 31 and Speights is 30, notion that they are there to retire and "pass a torch" is pretty laughable especially if you know that Speights already wanted more money from Atlanta so he views Magic as building block for next contract. Last time Afflalo played below 25 min Andrew Bynum and Mike Beasley were biggest young talents in nba :lol: (2008-09 )

I'm just going off of the interview that Afflalo had with the media after signing with the team and Speights' history until now. But i think it will make even less sense that those 2 will take precedence over the development of our 6th pick in the 2017 draft. at the minimum.... i don't see speights being the one that he has to battle for minutes. So i'm just not going to pen them in on the depth chart ahead of Isaac yet. Neither them or JI will be gifted a spot whether it's because of youth or experience. BUT Isaac's will obviously have the highest priority.... whether he will take a larger role or need to take a back seat for a season. :-)
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,280

Post#273 » by pepe1991 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:18 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:I think that a lot of people are putting too much into notion of Afflalo's and Speight's playing time. Even from his interview.... afflalo sounded like he "knew his role" for this team and that was more of motivator and mentorship with the possibility of being bigger contributor when asked upon. Speights is entering his 10 season... and has played significant minute (20+ min) once in his career.... and an average of 15 mpg for his entire career. so.... i'm seeing both of them as being great leadership/experience signings more than anything... with the ability to play meaningful minutes if need be.

I'm just going off of the interview that Afflalo had with the media after signing with the team and Speights' history until now. But i think it will make even less sense that those 2 will take precedence over the development of our 6th pick in the 2017 draft. at the minimum.... i don't see speights being the one that he has to battle for minutes. So i'm just not going to pen them in on the depth chart ahead of Isaac yet. Neither them or JI will be gifted a spot whether it's because of youth or experience. BUT Isaac's will obviously have the highest priority.... whether he will take a larger role or need to take a back seat for a season. :-)

They are at least good vets, last year Vogel was playing CJ Watson or whatever was left from him and Green. Also Isaac simply won't play SF there is no min to distribute to that position.
If Simmons is starter he will get 28-30 min, Afflalo will get his 18-22 and with second unit you have Ross who can play SG and SF as well (as well as Fournier ) . Somwhere on bench you have Hezonja as well (and Iwundu ). There is simply not enough space for isaac. That leaves him as Gordon's backup.

I'm really hoping for some trade to free up some wing spots.

Also, given how East is shaping up to be, Magic will probably fall into 2015 trap and go for playoffs, and you can't really blame them, 5 years without playoffs in conference where below .500 teams make it.

Magic are odd team, on paper they don't need upgrade on any position because the could use upgrade in litrerally every position. You could say they are well balanced medicore team, kind a like Hornets.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Post#274 » by PennytoShaq » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:41 pm

Isaac will play. He is too good at defense and he easily changed the games he was in during summer league on that end. I believe some of that will translate rather fast to the regular season and then his offense will just have to catch up over time.

We definitely have too many wings. It makes me believe the Magic plan to deal later in the season, or they may finally do what I have been wanting and run 4 wing lineups.

I am not sure what to think about Mario. I think he loses the most PT of anybody.
bargnanimvp
Assistant Coach

Post#275 » by bargnanimvp » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:14 am

PennytoShaq wrote:Isaac will play. He is too good at defense and he easily changed the games he was in during summer league on that end. I believe some of that will translate rather fast to the regular season and then his offense will just have to catch up over time.

We definitely have too many wings. It makes me believe the Magic plan to deal later in the season, or they may finally do what I have been wanting and run 4 wing lineups.

I am not sure what to think about Mario. I think he loses the most PT of anybody.

They've said this year is for evaluations. I still think management don't know who to deal and who to keep. I imagine we'll see rotation changes a lot early on then some of our wings moved once management feel they can safely make the decision on who to keep and who to give up on.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#276 » by drsd » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:49 am

bargnanimvp wrote:I still think management don't know who to deal and who to keep.

It does feel like management wants to personally view the assets to make decisions in the coming off-season. But I wouldn't be surprised if the Magic were part of a blockbuster, pre-ASW trade.

yoyojw17
Lead Assistant

Post#277 » by yoyojw17 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:38 am

drsd wrote:
bargnanimvp wrote:I still think management don't know who to deal and who to keep.

It does feel like management wants to personally view the assets to make decisions in the coming off-season. But I wouldn't be surprised if the Magic were part of a blockbuster, pre-ASW trade.

That'll be part of the evaluation process. I think there was double meaning in that phrase. Nothing drastic will happen this summer.... but by the trade deadline....we could be active players assuming that we have made gotten a chance to evaluate the players, and the possible best direction of the team. example... hezonja and simmons (even at 27 is still a work in progress) are put in a great position and starts to succeed... we can see fournier going to a new team as both a player and cap trade.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,159

Post#278 » by OrlChamps2030 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:39 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
drsd wrote:

That'll be part of the evaluation process. I think there was double meaning in that phrase. Nothing drastic will happen this summer.... but by the trade deadline....we could be active players assuming that we have made gotten a chance to evaluate the players, and the possible best direction of the team. example... hezonja and simmons (even at 27 is still a work in progress) are put in a great position and starts to succeed... we can see fournier going to a new team as both a player and cap trade.

So Hezonja and Simmons still have time to develop.. but Fournier is afterthought trade bait?
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant

Post#279 » by yoyojw17 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:06 pm

Zmill wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:
drsd wrote:

So Hezonja and Simmons still have time to develop.. but Fournier is afterthought trade bait?

As i've said before.... i love fournier.... I'm not a hater.... but there is a point where you will have to balance talent and the books. Yes... if they don't pan out.... Fournier is our shooting guard (who is also still solidifying himself as a player and probably still hasn't peaked at this point either... still only 24). But if hezonja and simmons begin to project as possibly higher value players.... there is only so much playing time and money to go around. That's when he can possibly become an asset to either improve the team at another position.... or help set us up for the future. :D
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,116

Post#280 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:15 pm

Zmill wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:
drsd wrote:

laughed real hard at this.. Zmill with the mic drop!
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:

Return to Orlando Magic