ImageImageImageImage

The Incredible Upside/Potential of Jonathan Isaac

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,091

Re: The Incredible Upside/Potential of Jonathan Isaac 

Post#281 » by yoyojw17 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:50 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
Zmill wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:That'll be part of the evaluation process. I think there was double meaning in that phrase. Nothing drastic will happen this summer.... but by the trade deadline....we could be active players assuming that we have made gotten a chance to evaluate the players, and the possible best direction of the team. example... hezonja and simmons (even at 27 is still a work in progress) are put in a great position and starts to succeed... we can see fournier going to a new team as both a player and cap trade.

So Hezonja and Simmons still have time to develop.. but Fournier is afterthought trade bait?

laughed real hard at this.. Zmill with the mic drop!

that was definitely not a "mic drop" situation especially if you read my response to the same comment. BUT... i did giggle especially since Zmill does sound like the name of a rapper.... and i pictured someone doing so on stage. hahaha
Instincts
Pro Prospect
And1: 476

Re: The Incredible Upside/Potential of Jonathan Isahttp://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/247178/Cavaliers-Fixated-On-Acqu 

Post#282 » by Instincts » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:59 am

Well we have seen with our own eyes Fournier is not a sf. Same goes for Ross and to a lesser degree Simmons. People apparently will be surprised when Isaac plays significant minutes at the sf slot.

pepe1991 wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Afflalo is 31 and Speights is 30, notion that they are there to retire and "pass a torch" is pretty laughable especially if you know that Speights already wanted more money from Atlanta so he views Magic as building block for next contract. Last time Afflalo played below 25 min Andrew Bynum and Mike Beasley were biggest young talents in nba :lol: (2008-09 )

I'm just going off of the interview that Afflalo had with the media after signing with the team and Speights' history until now. But i think it will make even less sense that those 2 will take precedence over the development of our 6th pick in the 2017 draft. at the minimum.... i don't see speights being the one that he has to battle for minutes. So i'm just not going to pen them in on the depth chart ahead of Isaac yet. Neither them or JI will be gifted a spot whether it's because of youth or experience. BUT Isaac's will obviously have the highest priority.... whether he will take a larger role or need to take a back seat for a season. :-)

They are at least good vets, last year Vogel was playing CJ Watson or whatever was left from him and Green. Also Isaac simply won't play SF there is no min to distribute to that position.
If Simmons is starter he will get 28-30 min, Afflalo will get his 18-22 and with second unit you have Ross who can play SG and SF as well (as well as Fournier ) . Somwhere on bench you have Hezonja as well (and Iwundu ). There is simply not enough space for isaac. That leaves him as Gordon's backup.

I'm really hoping for some trade to free up some wing spots.

Also, given how East is shaping up to be, Magic will probably fall into 2015 trap and go for playoffs, and you can't really blame them, 5 years without playoffs in conference where below .500 teams make it.

Magic are odd team, on paper they don't need upgrade on any position because the could use upgrade in litrerally every position. You could say they are well balanced medicore team, kind a like Hornets.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant

Re: The Incredible Upside/Potential of Jonathan Isahttp://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/247178/Cavaliers-Fixated-On-Acqu 

Post#283 » by yoyojw17 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:50 pm

Instincts wrote:Well we have seen with our own eyes Fournier is not a sf. Same goes for Ross and to a lesser degree Simmons. People apparently will be surprised when Isaac plays significant minutes at the sf slot.

pepe1991 wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:I'm just going off of the interview that Afflalo had with the media after signing with the team and Speights' history until now. But i think it will make even less sense that those 2 will take precedence over the development of our 6th pick in the 2017 draft. at the minimum.... i don't see speights being the one that he has to battle for minutes. So i'm just not going to pen them in on the depth chart ahead of Isaac yet. Neither them or JI will be gifted a spot whether it's because of youth or experience. BUT Isaac's will obviously have the highest priority.... whether he will take a larger role or need to take a back seat for a season. :-)

They are at least good vets, last year Vogel was playing CJ Watson or whatever was left from him and Green. Also Isaac simply won't play SF there is no min to distribute to that position.
If Simmons is starter he will get 28-30 min, Afflalo will get his 18-22 and with second unit you have Ross who can play SG and SF as well (as well as Fournier ) . Somwhere on bench you have Hezonja as well (and Iwundu ). There is simply not enough space for isaac. That leaves him as Gordon's backup.

I'm really hoping for some trade to free up some wing spots.

Also, given how East is shaping up to be, Magic will probably fall into 2015 trap and go for playoffs, and you can't really blame them, 5 years without playoffs in conference where below .500 teams make it.

Magic are odd team, on paper they don't need upgrade on any position because the could use upgrade in litrerally every position. You could say they are well balanced medicore team, kind a like Hornets.

Yeah.... we don't have tooooooo many true sf on this team. So it will interesting to see how everything pans out in training camp
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#284 » by j-ragg » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:39 pm

I'd be surprised if we play him much at sf.

Don't people complain about the way he was used offensively at FSU because he was forced into playing the 3 due to their team being so big?
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,374

Post#285 » by PrimeThyme » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:01 pm

j-ragg wrote:I'd be surprised if we play him much at sf.

Don't people complain about the way he was used offensively at FSU because he was forced into playing the 3 due to their team being so big?

No, that wasn't the issue. The problem most of us had was with his usage on offense and the amount of minutes he got. Hamilton is notorious for favoring upperclassmen and Bacon and Mayes got much bigger roles on offense even though it was clear that Isaac was the much better player.

It never had anything to do with him being forced to play the three, especially considering that he started at the 4 and primarily played there during his time there.
j-ragg
RealGM

Post#286 » by j-ragg » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:15 pm

PrimeShaq wrote:

No, that wasn't the issue. The problem most of us had was with his usage on offense and the amount of minutes he got. Hamilton is notorious for favoring upperclassmen and Bacon and Mayes got much bigger roles on offense even though it was clear that Isaac was the much better player.

It never had anything to do with him being forced to play the three, especially considering that he started at the 4 and primarily played there during his time there.

Thanks for the correction. I misunderstood. And It felt like those dudes were all hogs to the extreme but I didn't watch a ton of FSU.

Either way I'm sticking to my notion that it'd be a disservice to put him at the 3, but there's probably not much choice with this roster.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant

Post#287 » by yoyojw17 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:39 pm

j-ragg wrote:
PrimeShaq wrote:

Thanks for the correction. I misunderstood. And It felt like those dudes were all hogs to the extreme but I didn't watch a ton of FSU.

Either way I'm sticking to my notion that it'd be a disservice to put him at the 3, but there's probably not much choice with this roster.

on the defensive end... both he and AG will be well suited to play both forward positions. If you are able to have the foot speed and have the size to play the position.... i think it is perfectly fine to give them a chance at the position. I think he could legit be able to player both forward positions and center under the right circumstances. with his shot and developable handles.... i wouldn't be against it at all. It wouldn't be as much of a forced situation as most might think.

With the production that he made under low usage circumstances.... I can't wait to see how he will do with a pass first point guard like payton at the helm! :-)
j-ragg
RealGM

Post#288 » by j-ragg » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:49 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
j-ragg wrote:
PrimeShaq wrote:No, that wasn't the issue. The problem most of us had was with his usage on offense and the amount of minutes he got. Hamilton is notorious for favoring upperclassmen and Bacon and Mayes got much bigger roles on offense even though it was clear that Isaac was the much better player.

on the defensive end... both he and AG will be well suited to play both forward positions. If you are able to have the foot speed and have the size to play the position.... i think it is perfectly fine to give them a chance at the position. I think he could legit be able to player both forward positions and center under the right circumstances. with his shot and developable handles.... i wouldn't be against it at all. It wouldn't be as much of a forced situation as most might think.

With the production that he made under low usage circumstances.... I can't wait to see how he will do with a pass first point guard like payton at the helm! :-)

Totally agree. Not worried in the least about him on the defensive end.

You call his handles "developable" but that's a nice way of saying they aren't NBA-small-forward-caliber (yet, at least). To me, that's the sole reason not to play him at the 3. You're basically making him a spot up shooter in the offense. He isn't going to be able to show any 1on1 offensive against NBA 3s. Just my opinion though.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#289 » by Skin » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:08 pm

Not gonna put any limitations on Isaac. Hopefully he's fluid enough to excel at SF.

Ideal scenario right now is for him to try to excel at SF offensively and then switch to PF on defense. Gordon plays PF on offense and switches to SF on defense. Just want to see flashes of this working.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
j-ragg
RealGM

Post#290 » by j-ragg » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:42 pm

Skin wrote:Not gonna put any limitations on Isaac.

I don't want to either. Try him at every position for all I care. Just don't want to be in the 2018 draft thread at the end of the season bitching about how our guys looked like crap all year at the _____ position.
Instincts
Pro Prospect

Post#291 » by Instincts » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:16 am

Primeshaq is correct. It was a coach designed usage issue favoring an inferior upperclassmen in bacon.

Issacs long term position is tbd. Shorter term this roster has a hole at the sf slot he will have an opportunity to fill.

Payton
Ross
Isaac
Gordon
Vouch

Payton surrounded by shooters, Vouch surrounded by defense and shot blocking

PrimeShaq wrote:

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,617

Post#292 » by Skybox » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:30 pm

My dream scenario is he plays significant successful minutes at SF, essentially redefining the position with his length and defensive versatility...if his offensive ball skills and his defensive foot speed develop/maintain, he could be as revolutionary as Draymond has been, in spurts, at Center. I did say SF "Dream", but not impossible. There's also a chance he's too skinny to play big, too slow/unskilled to play 3 (Brad Sellers?)...Exciting prospect! I really hope the coaching staff think he's got the highest upside and shoot for it.

Also, even if he does great at 3, I could see him transitioning from 3 directly to ultra-modern 5 as his strength comes. IF Gordon's development warrants it...save your "you don't build around mediocre players" stuff...I said IF
Patrick1978
Veteran
And1: 872

Post#293 » by Patrick1978 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:52 pm

I would like to see a line up
Simmons
Fournier
Hezonja
Gordon
Isaac
Magic din romania

Ma numesc petre,sunt de la constanta

Fire Frank Vogel
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant

Post#294 » by yoyojw17 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:53 pm

Skybox wrote:My dream scenario is he plays significant successful minutes at SF, essentially redefining the position with his length and defensive versatility...if his offensive ball skills and his defensive foot speed develop/maintain, he could be as revolutionary as Draymond has been, in spurts, at Center. I did say SF "Dream", but not impossible. There's also a chance he's too skinny to play big, too slow/unskilled to play 3 (Brad Sellers?)...Exciting prospect! I really hope the coaching staff think he's got the highest upside and shoot for it.

Also, even if he does great at 3, I could see him transitioning from 3 directly to ultra-modern 5 as his strength comes. IF Gordon's development warrants it...save your "you don't build around mediocre players" stuff...I said IF

Most players that are skinny will have their problems until their bodies fully mature and they start eating those meat n potatoes n hit those nba workout plans. Look at giannis and anthony davis since they have come in the league. Both have filled out nicely for their posiotions. if in the next 2 years Isaac can hit the 235 mark..... pf/c positions are more than doable for him.... especially with all this talk about perimeter/quick centers..... looks like he could be ideal. The one thing that i loved about isaac was that for his frail appearance... he goes at it in the paint and is up for the challenge. add some muscle to back it up.... and things are looking even brighter.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant

Post#295 » by yoyojw17 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:01 pm

Instincts wrote:Primeshaq is correct. It was a coach designed usage issue favoring an inferior upperclassmen in bacon.

Issacs long term position is tbd. Shorter term this roster has a hole at the sf slot he will have an opportunity to fill.

Payton
Ross
Isaac
Gordon
Vouch

PrimeShaq wrote:

Would like the season to start off with
Payton
Fournier
Hezonja
AG
Vooch

that is a well balanced starting line up that i think compliments one another. Really want to see hezonja thrive and thrive on our team..

I like your team a lot.... and would like the same line up at the end of the season.... except with hezonja (succeeding in evolving into at least Charmander this season.... with Charazard on the horizon lol)

Payton
Hezonja
Isaac
AG
Vooch

This teams balance on both the offensive and defensive sides of the court would be amazing!
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,715

Post#296 » by basketballRob » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:13 pm

Skybox wrote:My dream scenario is he plays significant successful minutes at SF, essentially redefining the position with his length and defensive versatility...if his offensive ball skills and his defensive foot speed develop/maintain, he could be as revolutionary as Draymond has been, in spurts, at Center. I did say SF "Dream", but not impossible. There's also a chance he's too skinny to play big, too slow/unskilled to play 3 (Brad Sellers?)...Exciting prospect! I really hope the coaching staff think he's got the highest upside and shoot for it.

I don't see Isaac as too slow to guard the 3. He was quick enough to guard PG's in SL.

He could very well be that freak type player at the 3, with his 7'3" wingspan and ability to stay in front of small quick guards. The big question is on offense but maybe he develops like Leonard did.

Brad Sellers was always a 5 in his college days at Ohio State, I never heard of them trying to move him to the 3. Him and Isaac are completely different players.
Instincts
Pro Prospect

Post#297 » by Instincts » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:21 pm

It would make my year if hezonja earned that starting role...the length in that lineup would be unrivaled.

I do think for just that reason hezonja will get a another audition due to the front offices affinity for length. What he does with that opportunity at this point is up to him. His shooting has to be the strength we thought it was, the rest of his game other than ball handling have looked nice. Was particularly impressed with his defense and passing towards the end of last year. But the shooting is a must.

yoyojw17 wrote:
Instincts wrote:Primeshaq is correct. It was a coach designed usage issue favoring an inferior upperclassmen in bacon.

Payton
Ross
Isaac
Gordon
Vouch

PrimeShaq wrote:No, that wasn't the issue. The problem most of us had was with his usage on offense and the amount of minutes he got. Hamilton is notorious for favoring upperclassmen and Bacon and Mayes got much bigger roles on offense even though it was clear that Isaac was the much better player.

Would like the season to start off with
Payton
Fournier
Hezonja
AG
Vooch

that is a well balanced starting line up that i think compliments one another. Really want to see hezonja thrive and thrive on our team..

I like your team a lot.... and would like the same line up at the end of the season.... except with hezonja (succeeding in evolving into at least Charmander this season.... with Charazard on the horizon lol)

Payton
Hezonja
Isaac
AG
Vooch

This teams balance on both the offensive and defensive sides of the court would be amazing!
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,923

Post#298 » by MagicMatic » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:23 pm

You think people on this board would have learned from AG and Mario. Just because it's ideal for a player to fit into a position of need doesn't mean he will.
Instincts
Pro Prospect

Post#299 » by Instincts » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:37 pm

You suggest mario and Gordon make a rule. That's a mistake in logic.

Isaacs position is tbd. And playing time is better than not, put him on the floor and let him figure it out. What would you suggest? Minimal minutes for our likely current franchise player behind Gordon?? Play him ahead of Gordon from day 1??? Neither sounds great.

He is the best sf on this team day 1, we have a hole at sf, it's still a team sport, he has been quoted as veiwing himself as a sf, it's obvious, put him there and go from there.

Front office likes length and is not opposed playing players down a position or two for development. Ginnas is being molded into a pg, is he a point guard currently, prob not, will he better for developing that skill set. Time will tell. You think the new font office cares about your preceived Gordon and mario lessons, I doubt it. I'm sure they are more influenced by their own success with Ginnas then a previous administrations decisions.

Isaac will log minutes at sf. Book it.

MagicMatic wrote:You think people on this board would have learned from AG and Mario. Just because it's ideal for a player to fit into a position of need doesn't mean he will.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,923

Post#300 » by MagicMatic » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:52 pm

Instincts wrote:You suggest mario and Gordon make a rule. That's a mistake in logic.

Isaacs position is tbd. And playing time is better than not, put him on the floor and let him figure it out. What would you suggest? Minimal minutes for our likely current franchise player behind Gordon?? Play him ahead of Gordon from day 1??? Neither sounds great.

He is the best sf on this team day 1, we have a hole at sf, he has been quoted as viewing himself as a sf, it's obvious, put him there and go from there.

Front office likes length and playing players down a position or two. Ginnas is being molded into a pg, is he a point guard currently, prob not, will he better for developing that skill set. Time will tell.

MagicMatic wrote:You think people on this board would have learned from AG and Mario. Just because it's ideal for a player to fit into a position of need doesn't mean he will.

Kinda like when people claimed "AG at the 3" when the position opened up.

Interesting he is our best option at sf despite never playing a single NBA minute at the position. Of course it's ideal he becomes our starting SF given the chance he succeeds better than Simmons, Ross, or Fournier.

To address your first comment - exactly why drafting him ahead of Smith when next years draft class is loaded with PF/C players and virtually no guards was a bad move IMO. Especially with our contract ties.

If anything there is no mistake in my logic - it's just wish fulfillment by Magic fans that Isaac isn't just a big man in our stacked front court. Also, last time I checked bigs were going for pennies on the dollar in terms of value compared to guards.

Return to Orlando Magic