ImageImageImageImage

The Elfrid Payton/Aaron Gordon contract extension conundrum

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,624

Re: The Elfrid Payton/Aaron Gordon contract extension conundrum 

Post#121 » by Howard Mass » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:42 pm

I would not extend Elfrid Payton given how few teams need a point guard.

I'd let him go find an offer and see if The Magic want to match.

Aaron Gordon is a different story but I would be careful about overpaying.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Post#122 » by EAS Law » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:59 pm

I would extend simply so that we don't end up in a situation where teams try to screw us by offering higher than actual value and tying us up. Of course, you could just let them sign with those teams, but you also lose an asset for nothing or for pennies on the dollar with a S&T.

I think both have shown they belong on a team. Internally I'd be focusing on Elfrid's shooting improvement (because I personally have noticed an improvement year to year) and Gordon's true value at the PF slot. He looked great there, and maybe could develop a Millsap body of work.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#123 » by Skin » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:34 pm

I don't see a conundrum. Nothing is going to happen until the offseason. Neither player will sign an extension now. It would only hurt them. Neither are going to bank on themselves getting worse. So why sign now?

When the time comes to pay them, the Magic will be forced to do so. The goal is for them to pay them what they are worth. Hopefully both will be Max players by the end of the year!!! :D
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
NickAndersonsBack25
Rookie
And1: 67

Post#124 » by NickAndersonsBack25 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:44 am

Skin wrote:I don't see a conundrum. Nothing is going to happen until the offseason. Neither player will sign an extension now. It would only hurt them. Neither are going to bank on themselves getting worse. So why sign now?

When the time comes to pay them, the Magic will be forced to do so. The goal is for them to pay them what they are worth. Hopefully both will be Max players by the end of the year!!! :D

Exactly, just pay them the minimum amount possible, minus $1. The worse they play, the better the number gets.
Bobby Knight says:
"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."
"You don't play against opponents, you play against the game of basketball. "
JAY DASH
Pro Prospect
And1: 455

Post#125 » by JAY DASH » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:56 pm

No need to extend Elf when the rest of the league values our core players far less than we do. There aren't many teams that would even think about paying Elf Payton more than we would so as has been said by most, just let the market dictate his value. There aren't any teams that would pull a Brooklyn and offer him well over market value, because our FO will let him walk and they would be stuck with an albatross contract.

AG is different because if he shows an improved jumper and rebounding, then other teams will see value in him in today's NBA. I wouldn't be opposed to locking him in for a reasonable price. I'd feel better about it if we knew for sure that we would be able to ship out one of our higher contracts this season as well.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,974

Post#126 » by Nyce_1 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:21 pm

Wiggins & T-Wolves negotiating 5-year, $148M extension.

AG and his people are happy about that. 5yr/$113 for AG???
Gomagic44
Head Coach
And1: 2,187

Post#127 » by Gomagic44 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:45 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:Wiggins & T-Wolves negotiating 5-year, $148M extension.

Uhhh, he better develop a shot or more of a presence on the court this season.

Otherwise I would pass as Isaac will provide most of what Gordon does, but way cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man
And1: 1,062

Post#128 » by OrlMagic05 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:30 pm

I say we extend AG for just about anything but the max. I could see Brooklyn offering him the max next summer
Shady Franchise
Veteran
And1: 584

Post#129 » by Shady Franchise » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:06 pm

Gomagic44 wrote:

Otherwise I would pass as Isaac will provide most of what Gordon does, but way cheaper.

Unless Isaac becomes a trend setter for future Cs, he is going to play PF. Let Gordon sign a max elsewhere if that's what he wants. I'd almost rather resign Payton to a team friendly deal, so that he eventually becomes the leader of the 2nd unit. I think Payton is a good player, but his shooting limitations keep him from being a starter. I'd welcome him as a backup though for sure!
Do not max Vuc!
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,128

Post#130 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:34 pm

Gomagic44 wrote:

Might want to trade AG before the free agency period begins next year before we pay him big money, we essentially drafted his replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
aka: prorl
mr2good
Senior
And1: 355

Post#131 » by mr2good » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:11 pm

NxtGr8MagicCntr wrote:Extend gordon, and package him with bizmack for a trade. Only way i can see us getting out of his contract. We are stuck with DJ unfortunately. Isaac plays the same position as Gordon and for some reason there were those rumors last year on that white board that the last regime, who drafted him, wanted to trade AG. Hammond needs to fix our cap situation.

That being said I will be very sad when gordon is traded. Payton wait until RFA because no one is paying him unless he learns how to shoot. Even with better numbers last year he has that bad stigma of a bad shooter

I think WeHam is higher on Gordon and his potential than any other player on our team. Why would he package him just to move Biyambo's contract? I think he's the least likely player to get traded outside of Isaac.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,362

Post#132 » by Bensational » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:24 pm

Elf's about to follow in Westbrook's footsteps and average a Triple Double for the season. We best pay him before he becomes super max eligible!

:wink:
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,864

Post#133 » by JF5 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:29 pm

mr2good wrote:
NxtGr8MagicCntr wrote:Extend gordon, and package him with bizmack for a trade. Only way i can see us getting out of his contract. We are stuck with DJ unfortunately. Isaac plays the same position as Gordon and for some reason there were those rumors last year on that white board that the last regime, who drafted him, wanted to trade AG. Hammond needs to fix our cap situation.

That being said I will be very sad when gordon is traded. Payton wait until RFA because no one is paying him unless he learns how to shoot. Even with better numbers last year he has that bad stigma of a bad shooter

I think WeHam is higher on Gordon and his potential than any other player on our team. Why would he package him just to move Biyambo's contract? I think he's the least likely player to get traded outside of Isaac.

I don't think Gordon has as much value as we think he does. I feel like they tried dealing him during the offseason but couldn't get much for him.

At this point they're trying to up his value before the trade deadline to see if there are any takers.

Long term him and Issac can't really co-exist.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,090

Post#134 » by tiderulz » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:31 pm

OrlMagic05 wrote:I say we extend AG for just about anything but the max. I could see Brooklyn offering him the max next summer

i cant see anyone offering AG the max or close to it. He hasnt shown enough talent or skills to deserve that type of offer
cb1115
Lead Assistant
And1: 404

Post#135 » by cb1115 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:49 pm

i'd offer AG something like 5/$85M, similar to what Fournier got. wait on Elfrid.

guessing neither are getting extended though
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#136 » by j-ragg » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:09 am

Anything 4/60 or less for Elf and I'd be happy.

Anything 4/80 or less for AG and I'd be happy.

Or wait it out and let em hit RFA.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man
And1: 1,062

Post#137 » by OrlMagic05 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:03 am

tiderulz wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:I say we extend AG for just about anything but the max. I could see Brooklyn offering him the max next summer

i cant see anyone offering AG the max or close to it. He hasnt shown enough talent or skills to deserve that type of offer

I'm not saying he's worth a max deal, but Brooklyn offered Otto porter a max contract, they would DEFINITELY offer AG a max.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,864

Post#138 » by JF5 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:00 am

OrlMagic05 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

I'm not saying he's worth a max deal, but Brooklyn offered Otto porter a max contract, they would DEFINITELY offer AG a max.

Otto Porter is putting up okay numbers on a winning team. Gordon is putting up okay numbers on a bottom 5 team which lowers his value... Plus, Otto Porter is a pretty good shooter (Shooting 51% and 43 from 3) and has a little bit of ball skills. Gordon on the other hand is just a slasher who doesn't create for himself and doesn't have many skills.

If someone really wants to sign Gordon to the max then let them. He isn't even good enough (as of right now) to even throw starter money at him. Issac is essentially his replacement so I don't see a real need to push him over a contract dispute.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,879

Post#139 » by drsd » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:47 am

Howard Mass wrote:I would not extend Elfrid Payton given how few teams need a point guard.

But what if Payton looks at this the same way Vučević did in his negotiations? What if Payton accepts that money now is better than an unknown future and requests a 4 year 36 million extension offer (averaging 9M a year)?

How could Orlando management ignore that?

fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#140 » by fendilim » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:37 am

drsd wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:I would not extend Elfrid Payton given how few teams need a point guard.

But what if Payton looks at this the same way Vučević did in his negotiations? What if Payton accepts that money now is better than an unknown future and requests a 4 year 36 million extension offer (averaging 9M a year)?

How could Orlando management ignore that?

well considering that is backup money for a backup pg, management would be stupid not to take it.

Return to Orlando Magic