ImageImageImageImage

We suck, but there is hope... : 2018 NBA Draft Prospects thread (Never too early!)

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,883

We suck, but there is hope... : 2018 NBA Draft Prospects thread (Never too early!) 

Post#1 » by JF5 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:52 am

This team obviously is projected to be a bottom 5 team in the league next season which means a potential top 5 pick. Already looking at the talent there are several key prospects that are on my radar that should be on yours.

1. DeAndre Ayton - Probably the player with the most potential in this big men oriented draft. Standing at 7'0 and a 7'5 wingspan, He's Long/Athletic and already has an advanced offensive game that extend from the 3 point line which makes him NBA ready from the jump. His defensive potential is off the charts as well with pretty good instincts as a shot blocker. Watching his highlights and reading his scouting reports. It would seem like he would have Superstar potential as this league is going through a heavy big man renaissance. Would be a seismic pairing with Jonathan Issac with the length and height would of both would make our interior defense essentially impenetrable. He's my guy if we're able to be 1 or 2 next year in the draft.

2. Michael Porter - Pretty much a bigger/longer Klay Thompson... Standing at 6'10 with 7 foot wing stand is a Catch and shoot guy who can light it up from anywhere on the court with ridiculous length/strength for his position. His defense is solid and he's a hard worker with a relentless motor who keeps calm in heavy situations. Plays within the team concept, and gives the most of himself when it comes to what is asked of him. Definitely a guy who through hard work/base skill-set/physical tools will become a great player. Pair him with Issac at the Forward Position and you got an ridiculous size and a very versatile pair in the front line.

Porter Jr. at Nike Hoop Summit

3. Wendall Carter - bit of a throw back per-say when it comes to big men from about 10-15 years ago. Not super athletic but he does get the job done for his size (6'10 with a 7'3 Reach). Has a pretty good set of offensive skills and is a pretty good defender. Favorite aspects about him is his ability to play through physicality and not shy away from contact. He draws fouls, and he has the knack to block shots and has very good vision for his size. He to me has the ability to be a very good enforcer who plays both ends of the court with consistency.

Discuss
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,006

Re: We suck, but there is hope... : 2018 NBA Draft Prospects thread (Never too early!) 

Post#2 » by KillMonger » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:22 am

Well I guess we have to be bad in spite of ourselves because Vogel does not like to tank so i wouldn't be surprised if we end up just outside the top 5 again

Sent from my expensive phone using my hands
ralphie9898
Analyst
And1: 390

Re: We suck, but there is hope... : 2018 NBA Draft Prospects thread (Never too early!) 

Post#3 » by ralphie9898 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:51 am

JF5 wrote:This team obviously is projected to be a bottom 5 team in the league next season which means a potential top 5 pick. Already looking at the talent there are several 3 prospects that are on my radar and should be on yours.

1. DeAndre Ayton - Probably the player with the most potential in this big men oriented draft. Standing at 7'0 and a 7'5 wingspan, He's Long/Athletic and already has an advanced offensive game that extend from the 3 point line which makes him NBA ready from the jump. His defensive potential is off the charts as well with pretty good instincts as a shot blocker. Watching his highlights and reading his scouting reports. It would seem like he would have Superstar potential as this league is going through a heavy big man renaissance. Would be a seismic pairing with Jonathan Issac with the length and height would of both would make our interior defense essentially impenetrable. He's my guy if we're able to be 1 or 2 next year in the draft.

2. Michael Porter - Pretty much a bigger/longer Klay Thompson... Standing at 6'10 with 7 foot wing stand is a Catch and shoot guy who can light it up from anywhere on the court with ridiculous length/strength for his position. His defense is solid and he's a hard worker with a relentless motor who keeps calm in heavy situations. Plays within the team concept, and gives the most of himself when it comes to what is asked of him. Definitely a guy who through hard work/base skill-set/physical tools will become a great player. Pair him with Issac at the Forward Position and you got an ridiculous size and a very versatile pair in the front line.

Porter Jr. at Nike Hoop Summit

3. Wendall Carter - bit of a throw back per-say when it comes to big men from about 10-15 years ago. Not super athletic but he does get the job done for his size (6'10 with a 7'3 Reach). Has a pretty good set of offensive skills and is a pretty good defender. Favorite aspects about him is his ability to play through physicality and not shy away from contact. He draws fouls, and he has the knack to block shots and has very good vision for his size. He to me has the ability to be a very good enforcer who plays both ends of the court with consistency.

Discuss

Porter is one of the guys according to scouts that are in the lead for the top pick The other Is Luka Doncic who is viewed as as one of the best international prospects ever. They say both could have gone ahead of Fultz and Ball this year. After that Ayton and Mohamed Bamba are considered elite Prospects. They say next year is a four person draft with their being a dropoff after that. But we will have to wait see how it all shakes out as guys still have a chance to make up or even lose ground. Example being that Lonzo and Fultz while looked at as good prospects were hardly considered to be the players they are today at this time last year. Also Harry Giles was viewed as one of the if not the top prospect at this time last year but as we saw he fell to the late first round. So we shall see but hopefully we can pair Isaac with either Porter, Doncic, Ayton, Bamba or if another guy moves up.
OrlandoHouston
Sophomore
And1: 230

Post#4 » by OrlandoHouston » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:31 am

Are we gonna be bad enough to get a top 5 pick? Pacers (if/when they trade PG), Bulls, Kings, Nets, Lakers *could* all be worse. Some teams with star free agents on the market (Hawks, Clippers, Jazz) could also be in serious trouble if they can't get their guys to re-sign.

We better get to tanking from day one.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Post#5 » by JF5 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:33 am

OrlandoHouston wrote:Are we gonna be bad enough to get a top 5 pick? Pacers (if/when they trade PG), Bulls, Kings, Nets, Lakers *could* all be worse. Some teams with star free agents on the market (Hawks, Clippers, Jazz) could also be in serious trouble if they can't get their guys to re-sign.

Hey,

Trust the process :wink:

But seriously the Jazz have enough talent/depth to still be a decent team that hovers around 10-14 in the draft lottery. Kings have enough talent to bypass us as their roster is kind of stacked in virtually all positions besides SF.Hawks have a great coach so I don't think they'll be that bad due to his abilities to adhere to the talent accumulated. Lakers I feel will definitely have a better record as they have more structure with Lonzo Ball at the point and good veteran talent/presence surrounding him. They'll probably win around 30 games (IMO).

That leaves the Bulls/Nets(Celtics)/Clippers/Magic to fight it out for bottom 5 in the NBA. Obviously this all hinges on what happens in Free-Agency/Trades but with the value of our talent I don't see really significant deals that would immediately take us out Top Pick contention next season.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,906

Post#6 » by drsd » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:15 am

JF5 wrote:This team obviously is projected to be a bottom 5 team in the league next season which means a potential top 5 pick.

Discuss

I agree that the media and Vegas will rate the Magic as a bottom five team' I do not. I think the Magic is a 35 win team. This could place the Magic to draft in the 8-10 range. The 2018 draft is not going to be projected to have a starter in that range.

cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,184

Post#7 » by cedric76 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:31 am

Far far too early and depressing

Sent from my SM-A310F using RealGM mobile app
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#8 » by fendilim » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:07 am

Take Donkic and then Kostas and 2019.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,270

Post#9 » by pepe1991 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:21 am

Saw lot of Real Madrid games in Euroleague and i can say he is, by far best young player i ever watched in Euroleague. Amazing passing ,good decision making, strong body, great shooting touch, thriving to be great. I remember him crying on bench against Darussafaka because he made two mistakes in a row.
Race for 1# pick will be between him and Porter. I would be happy with any of them.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
NBAchamps2017
Pro Prospect
And1: 336

Post#10 » by NBAchamps2017 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:26 am

Porter is a natural born scorer. If we 'Tank Hard' we'll be able to get no.1 pick.

"Sit and Evaluate" this is 'The Plan' and I like it.
ralphie9898
Analyst
And1: 390

Post#11 » by ralphie9898 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:48 am

OrlandoHouston wrote:Are we gonna be bad enough to get a top 5 pick? Pacers (if/when they trade PG), Bulls, Kings, Nets, Lakers *could* all be worse. Some teams with star free agents on the market (Hawks, Clippers, Jazz) could also be in serious trouble if they can't get their guys to re-sign.

We have to wait and see how free agency and whatever trades happen till we can actually make an educated guess on what teams will be worse than us. But we have only added a rookie who, while I am excited about what he will be, will probably not help us win more in his rookie year. I don't expect much help from free agency and I think we would be wise to not feel pressured to win and instead focus on positioning ourselves for the future rather then trying to get band-aid fixes which ultimately be burdens like Biyombo is. we will have to wait and see but yeah I think we will. Philly I think will be better this year if they can stay healthy. I think LA could be better. The bulls still have some vets so we shall see just how worse they get. I don't think Utah will be that bad as they still have talent. But yeah we gotta wait and see who resigns and where those that don't actually go.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,184

Post#12 » by cedric76 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:07 am

We ll pick #10 at best next draft so don't hurt yourself with this thread

Sent from my SM-A310F using RealGM mobile app
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#13 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:38 am

Early look, not much PG depth or clear cut stars at that position. We just need a star PG for our core.

??
Iwundu
Hezonja
AG
Isaac

Or actually tank and get #1 and get a PG in FA

FA?
Iwundu
Porter Jr
AG
Isaac
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#14 » by OrlandoDream » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:44 am

This was the draft to find a PG but we couldn't pass up Isaac. Next year's draft is all big men and Michael Porter. Isaac will most likely start and finish the year at the 3/4 so not sure if this is the best draft to complement him.

Still you never know who rises and who falls. Maybe Sexton kills it in college and shoots up. Remember that before Washibgton, Fultz was projected as the 10th best prospect.....He went #1 couple days ago.

As long as we have a not awful bench, I don't think we will be top 5 worse team next year. Have a feeling that for the first time bringing back our coach and core players will have a positive impact.
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#15 » by nymets1 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:40 pm

Nbadraft.net has us right now at the 5th pick taking Robert WIlliams. Its possible the draft could get deeper if more players get better this upcoming year but it appears to drop off as right now after the top 4 picks. If we don't get top 4 pick, Diallo I think would be my 1st choice right now if available. If we wind up with 7th pick or worse than Diallo could be gone.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,372

Post#16 » by PrimeThyme » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:03 pm

Doncic here we come 8-)
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,700

Post#17 » by Viper1500 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:07 pm

If there are 5 top prospects we will fall 6th.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#18 » by j-ragg » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:21 pm

We won't tank and then we'll get a few extra wins in the last couple weeks of the season. 8th pick here we come.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
zuppafly
Assistant Coach
And1: 990

Post#19 » by zuppafly » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:08 pm

PrimeShaq wrote:Doncic here we come 8-)

I've been watching him this last season and the kid is unreal. He's my pipe dream for this team.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#20 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:12 pm

Tank for #1, Michael Porter Jr. Shed lots of money, sign Kyrie/Wall in 2019.

Kyrie/Wall
Iwundu
Porter Jr
AG
Isaac

Return to Orlando Magic